Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1051 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm glad to help you guys. I bought it for a friend a while back, then later bought it myself. When I finally compared opinions with him, I realized we both thought it was sucky. It *feels* like it should be a good game, but it just isn't.

#1052 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Starting my PC build next week guys, wish me luck. A couple quick questions though. I've got a wired 360 USB controller, can I use that on most games without any sort of adapter? And I know this is the Steam thread, but are GFWL games ever on sale like Steam games? I am hopelessly addicted to cheevos.

Congrats on the impending upgrade! In April I will be replacing my Sager gaming notebook of 3 years with a new one from the same company. It's already preordered but the stats are under NDA for another week, which is weird. Anyway, I'll post about it when the details are available.

Also, just a reminder. Any time a GFWL game goes on sale on Steam, PM me if you can! I collect 'em all and would hate to miss one.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#1053 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Also, just a reminder. Any time a GFWL game goes on sale on Steam, PM me if you can! I collect 'em all and would hate to miss one.

GFWL have achievements, right?

If so, I do believe you're an achievement junkie. ;)

#1054 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

GFWL have achievements, right?

If so, I do believe you're an achievement junkie. ;)

You got me. It's kind of frustrating because I have to review so many games each month that I seldom have enough time to actually finish a game inside and out. But I love going after them when I have the chance. Steam Achievements are nice, but they'll never hold the same level of appeal for me since I've already invested so highly in Xbox Live.

-Paul Acevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#1055 Wildcat1080

Wildcat1080

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone have EVE Online coupon? I want to jump on the 66% off offer that ends tomorrow, but another coupon on top of that would be the icing!

#1056 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days 75%OFF, if you have IGN Prime discount, it will be only $3.18. Steam redeemable
http://www.gamersgat...ynch-2-dog-days

This is just what I wanted from the Square Steam sale. Is getting in IGN Prime worth it for this discount (a free trial or something)?

#1057 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

This is just what I wanted from the Square Steam sale. Is getting in IGN Prime worth it for this discount (a free trial or something)?

Unfortunately, IGN Prime ended their free trials. Don't know if they are bringing it back. I had a free trial but missed out ont he discount getting associated with my account. If the next free game they offer is very good I might join for a few months to get the discount.

#1058 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

No trial anymore but probably worth it if you're willing to pay for it. They've given away quite a few indie games for free that to my knowledge have not been in bundles yet. There's also the 15% Gamersgate discount.

Be warned though, some people have had issues with their site not recognizing their Prime membership. It happened to me when I did the trial. I tried IE, Firefox and Chrome and none of them would get the damned thing to recognize it although I got confirmation I was supposed to be signed up. Plenty of other people have gotten it to work though so I don't know what that's all about.

The site issues are the one thing holding me back from subscribing to them.

#1059 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

In April I will be replacing my Sager gaming notebook of 3 years with a new one from the same company. It's already preordered but the stats are under NDA for another week, which is weird. Anyway, I'll post about it when the details are available.

Please do post about it when you get the new laptop. I purchased a Sager (NP8150) last year and I love it! Can't wait to see the new ones.

#1060 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm glad to help you guys. I bought it for a friend a while back, then later bought it myself. When I finally compared opinions with him, I realized we both thought it was sucky. It *feels* like it should be a good game, but it just isn't.

I don't know if I would go quite so far as to say sucky, but yeah I am trying to figure out what it is about that game and I think you are right that it does feel like it should be better than it really is.

It's kind of like Wheel of Fortune meets Puzzle Quest with flappers which is so bizarre that it sounds interesting but there's just a random and disjointed element to the game that doesn't quite gel like it should.

#1061 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Yes. It has become the "standard" controller for PC games and many support it with no hassle at all. You can check games on Steam by looking for the "Controller enabled" icon/message on the right side of the store page for the game.

Something to consider is those Steam store descriptions aren't always that thorough and I remember a few times that a game wasn't listed with controller support but when I searched online it turned out that the game did support controllers.

#1062 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Something to consider is those Steam store descriptions aren't always that thorough and I remember a few times that a game wasn't listed with controller support but when I searched online it turned out that the game did support controllers.

This happens quite often to me.

I almost always do a search rather than take Steam's word for it.

#1063 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

This happens quite often to me.

I almost always do a search rather than take Steam's word for it.

That's just good general advice for the Steam store pages. Same goes for DRM. Although they sometimes list it, do not assume that there is none if they don't. I wish the pages were more thorough and accurate but a lot of the times they leave important things out.

#1064 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Yeah and if we start to get threads other than this one showing up there are always complaints and remarks about how they don't play games on the PC (funny none of us go to their threads and make a point to state how we don't prefer to play on consoles) but god forbid anyone comments on their, ahem, technologically challenged hardware.

It's definitely biased but they also have a totally different mentality on things and are into flipping, returning, have to worry about shipping and are still clinging to physical media etc.

You are so correct, sir. I remember when we had individualized threads for PC games, and the console folks would wander in sometimes and whine about our Borderlands GOTY for $10, our Arkham Asylum GOTY for $7.50, our Oblivion GOTY for $8, etc. Every complaint would look like "I thought this was a good deal and then I saw it was for PC. Who games on PC. Who has $2,000 to throw at a gaming computer and $500 every year for a new video card?" As if it's still 1998. :roll:

Your words cut me to the quick, GCorlett!

It's not personal EastX. :-& . I've voiced my opinion before on this and I have always been sure to mention that I appreciate the work you do here. I forgot this time, my apologies. I know that this thread was a labor of love for you when you started it, and your efforts back then showed, with the video trailers and the very quick updates. However, since you've passed the OP maintenance off to the rest of us rabble, and Steam has added daily deals, and many more smaller 10-20% deals than they used to have, for unpredictable durations, the OP is not as effective of a tool as it used to be.

I'm not trying to be jerky and I hope I don't come off as one. I agree with your assessment 100% that there are ups and downs to doing it either way, and the loss of this community would be a travesty. I've made some good buying partners and (dare-i-say) friends here, of the people who have made it onto my Steam friends list. And in the last year, I think the mods have, by and large, been a little more lenient on us with general game discussion here (i.e., conversation that's not deal-related), which has improved the thread quite a bit.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty happy with the way this thread has turned out. Concerns allayed, complaints lifted. Carry on. :-#

#1065 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

You got me. It's kind of frustrating because I have to review so many games each month that I seldom have enough time to actually finish a game inside and out. But I love going after them when I have the chance. Steam Achievements are nice, but they'll never hold the same level of appeal for me since I've already invested so highly in Xbox Live.

Hey, it's cool that you like getting all the achievements. The Xbox does it better, in that your achievements are much more on display than Steam has ever accomplished.

Me, I'm no completionist. It's uncommon for me to even finish a game, so I'm afraid I'm not in your boat. I have the attention span of a gopher when it comes to gaming. :D

#1066 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I picked up the only two Luxor games I was missing in the collection earlier today. I'm glad I did because Luxor Evolved is a pretty cool game and the nods to Pac Man and Berserk in the game were nice. It's quite different from the other games in the series in some ways. If you like shooter/puzzlers and you didn't pick it up this time around, it's worth a look next time it goes on sale.

#1067 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Why doesn't someone contact Valve's marketing dept and have them assign someone to CAG like the Tony guy in the Amazon thread. Or someone there could format something for the OP and just email it to EastX to copypaste in.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1068 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

Why doesn't someone contact Valve's marketing dept and have them assign someone to CAG like the Tony guy in the Amazon thread. Or someone there could format something for the OP and just email it to EastX to copypaste in.

Because we will buy their games regardless.

#1069 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

I meant having someone who actually gets paid to promote Valve do the work for us.

Also, forgot to make a joke about wanting Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!™ to be more like Catholic High School Girls in Trouble (NSFW if you Google that).
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1070 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

When you dominate the market you don't really need to go out of your way like that. Valve pretty much sets the tone on deals -- most of the time Amazon is just price matching (not that I don't appreciate it). There are often deals that Amazon runs that are better than Valve's but, that said, Amazon's digital download catalog isn't as big.

#1071 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Okay, maybe I should have rearranged the former and latter suggestions.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1072 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hey cool, the AoE Online DLC bundle is the top seller on Steam, and the game is #20 most played.

#1073 zubalove

zubalove

Old and In the Way

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

How long will the AoE Bundle be on sale? And it still has Xbox Live Achievements right?

#1074 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Hey cool, the AoE Online DLC bundle is the top seller on Steam, and the game is #20 most played.

Worth noting that the DLC looks like it's pay to win.

#1075 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

Wait a minute, I am looking for a higher-paying job. Let's get Valve to hire me, stat!

-Paul Acevedo

#1076 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

Worth noting that the DLC looks like it's pay to win.

Yes it is. At least when I played actively a few months back, it was pointless to play without having a premium civilization. They withhold the good gear and you can only level to a certain point without paying. I figured that $20 was a fair price for a new AoE game, especially since it was made by GasPowered, who I've always liked. I played it mostly solo, but did enjoy the co-op with a buddy during 10-15 games.

#1077 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

can anybody comment on the premium civs in aoeo playing differently from one another?
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#1078 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Wait a minute, I am looking for a higher-paying job. Let's get Valve to hire me, stat!

Seriously, they're always hiring.

http://valvesoftware...b_postings.html
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#1079 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Weekend Deal: Trine 2 50% off

Daily deal: Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2 75% off

Any thoughts on the latter?
Posted Image

#1080 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Weekend Deal: Trine 2 50% off

Daily deal: Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2 75% off

Any thoughts on the latter?

Also Gotham City Impostors for 50% off as part of the weekend deal.