Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1081 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Weekend Deal: Trine 2 50% off

Daily deal: Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2

Any thoughts on the latter?

Yes. I think I'd have liked it very much if the sale had happened when I had a coupon a month ago. I'd have bought it for sure.

#1082 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Daily deal: Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2 75% off

Gotham city importers is also 50% off

#1083 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

I will jump on Trine 2 when I can get it for under $5

#1084 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Tempted on both weekend deals. A couple of questions about each:

Trine 2: How much has it improved over the first? I liked the first, but I wouldn't play it again. Is T2 just more of the same?

Gotham City Imposters: How bad is the DLCification of the game? Many reviewers complain that it feels like a free to play game with a price-tag on top.

#1085 zubalove

zubalove

Old and In the Way

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

How long will the AoE Bundle be on sale? And it still has Xbox Live Achievements right?

AoE Deal is good to April 3rd 10AM PST.

#1086 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Gotham City Imposters: How bad is the DLCification of the game? Many reviewers complain that it feels like a free to play game with a price-tag on top.

The DLC things you can buy are leveling speed boosts or costume pieces you can unlock by just playing normally. It is slow to unlock costume pieces normally if you want specific expensive costumes, but costumes don't affect gameplay.

Weapon unlocks come slowly by leveling, but you get to choose which weapons you unlock, so you can unlock the ones you actually want to use first.

#1087 The Sifu

The Sifu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition was just added to Steam. The Gold Edition includes all 3 DLC's, and is $10 off until April 20th ($59.99 --> $49.99, the same price as the standard edition of Revelations).

http://store.steampo....com/sub/13858/

Unfortunately, the 50% off coupon doesn't seem to work with the gold edition of the game.

Edited by Showstoppa42, 29 March 2012 - 06:13 PM.
Added Link

#1088 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Daily deal: Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2 75% off

The Penny Arcade games are fun enough. They're decent short RPG fixes with some sometimes humorous writing. At $3 for both, it's a definite five thumbs up recommendation.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#1089 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition was just added to Steam. The Gold Edition includes all 3 DLC's, and is $10 off until April 20th ($59.99 --> $49.99, the same price as the standard edition of Revelations).

http://store.steampo....com/sub/13858/

Unfortunately, the 50% off coupon doesn't seem to work with the gold edition of the game.

How do you tell, the coupon still doesn't apply to the regular version of the game in the shopping cart? Do you have to buy it and hope that the coupon applies, no way to know before hand?

UPDATE: I've confirmed the coupon does not apply to the Gold edition, it does show up in the cart with the regular version when you do it through the client instead of the website. Yet again Steam screws up the timing of their sales. They throw out a bunch of coupons for 50% off a game, and 2 days before that coupon expires, they post an updated version at a discount with the DLC, and everyone who jumpped on the coupon feels screwed. Why? What's the point of that strategy, they can't at least wait for the coupon to expire? And how much is it to buy the DLC for the game after using the coupon, well of course it's within $1 of what you saved with the coupon, so you spend the same amount. for %$@&! sake.

Edited by walkonshadows, 29 March 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#1090 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I had fun with both of them for the price. I played on normal and 100% it. The combat is the most satisfying part because your skill at the special attacks directly effects their power and de/buffing almost in realtime. The last level of Ep2 has a fun design choice where the enemies in the area are super weak against regular attacks, but you only get critical kills (a certain number needed to 100% the game) from special attacks. You have to do regular attacks to get them near enough to death without killing them and then special for a teeny amount of damage, hopefully enough to put them over.

#1091 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

What exactly is the difference between the Trine 2 Collector's Edition, and the Trine 2 Collector's Edition Uprgrade? They both have a copy of Trine 2, what's with the "upgrade"?

#1092 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

What exactly is the difference between the Trine 2 Collector's Edition, and the Trine 2 Collector's Edition Uprgrade? They both have a copy of Trine 2, what's with the "upgrade"?

Supposed the difference is you get digital art and music files associated with the game

From the store page desc:

Trine 2 Collector's Edition

Digital Artbook with commentary by Trine 2 artists highlighting the design of levels, enemies, buildings and many environments. Also features an exclusive look at material not used in the final game.
Soundtrack by award-winning Ari Pulkkinen, featuring 21 tracks from Trine 2 in MP3 format with a total length of 57 minutes.

The Digital Artbook will be placed in your Trine 2 folder in the Steam directory:
...Steam\steamapps\common\Trine 2\Artbook
The Soundtrack will be placed in your Trine 2 folder in the Steam directory:
...Steam\steamapps\common\Trine 2\Soundtrack

Myself I kind of want Trine 2 but the above $5 price plus the possibility it may end up in a bundle someday is telling me to wait.

#1093 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Trine 2: How much has it improved over the first? I liked the first, but I wouldn't play it again. Is T2 just more of the same?

I haven't yet finished Trine 2 (must have done 3 or 4 levels). There's s little more variety to the puzzles, more bosses, much longer levels, and its visual are fantastic, but it's pretty similar to the first one.

#1094 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

The Penny Arcade games are fun enough. They're decent short RPG fixes with some sometimes humorous writing. At $3 for both, it's a definite five thumbs up recommendation.

Weren't they supposed to make 4 episodes of this? Is there much of story to these games , does it just end abruptly after the second one?

#1095 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Weren't they supposed to make 4 episodes of this? Is there much of story to these games , does it just end abruptly after the second one?

They are actually picking these back up. Although this time with a different developer and if I'm not mistaken it is Zeboyd, the makers of Cthulhu Saves the World. Now I can't comment on if they just end abruptly, but they will be finishing the series through video games (although I am pretty sure they were finishing them by comic before).

#1096 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

They are actually picking these back up. Although this time with a different developer and if I'm not mistaken it is Zeboyd, the makers of Cthulhu Saves the World. Now I can't comment on if they just end abruptly, but they will be finishing the series through video games (although I am pretty sure they were finishing them by comic before).

Yeah they are making another episode now but like you said with a completely different developer, Zeboyd. The 3rd episode as I understand it is going to be created similarly to Cthulhu Saves the World so it will basically look like an 8 bit NES game.

While I appreciate CSTW for what it is, I personally consider going from the style of episode 1 and 2 to that to be a definite downgrade.

#1097 colt4by5

colt4by5

Works every time.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I don't think those reviewers actually played the game for more than 10 minutes. They just wanted an excuse to use the hip new word "freemium". The Destructoid review was embarrassing. Anyways, it's a really fun game.

#1098 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Each of the first two games is pretty much a self-contained story that's part of a larger thread. You get sufficient closure on the story of the game you're playing.

Zeboyd is taking over at least the next game. It will definitely be different in style, but I'm sure it will be fine.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#1099 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Supposed the difference is you get digital art and music files associated with the game

From the store page desc:

Myself I kind of want Trine 2 but the above $5 price plus the possibility it may end up in a bundle someday is telling me to wait.

Thnak You much. I misunderstood the "upgrade" as a seperate version.

#1100 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

I meant having someone who actually gets paid to promote Valve do the work for us.

Also, forgot to make a joke about wanting Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!™ to be more like Catholic High School Girls in Trouble (NSFW if you Google that).

That would be awesome!

I was thinking the exact same thing lol

BRUTAL! SAVAGE! BEYOND PERVERSION!

Ah yes The Kentucky Fried Movie :lol:

Also, I recommend the Penny Arcade adventure games as long as you like a light turn-based adventure/rpg. If you like Penny Arcade, then the dialog is a bonus.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1101 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

AssCreed: Rev Gold includes a MP character pack and MP map pack, so I guess it depends on how much value you place on that aspect of the series at this point.
Posted Image

#1102 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

TotalHalibut did a new WTF is on Gotham City Imposters. I was about ready to hit buy at the 36 minute mark until he said it's GFWL.

Now I am seriously torn on it.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1103 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

The community is dead. Before the sale it wasn't on the Steam top 100, now it's peaking around 400 players.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#1104 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

The community is dead. Before the sale it wasn't on the Steam top 100, now it's peaking around 400 players.

Granted I played it on PS3, but I was playing a week after launch and struggling to find a game in any of the modes. The players that are still playing are the kind that like to exploit everything just to get a few cheap kills. Joy.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1105 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

You can't really judge the Steam top 100 being that is a GFWL game and it could be purchased from many places at much lower prices than steam for awhile. Most people that play I would imagine don't launch it from Steam.

That being said...I think im waiting for 75% off on this one....I'll feel stupid paying 7.50 when it goes F2P

#1106 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Yeah they are making another episode now but like you said with a completely different developer, Zeboyd. The 3rd episode as I understand it is going to be created similarly to Cthulhu Saves the World so it will basically look like an 8 bit NES game.

While I appreciate CSTW for what it is, I personally consider going from the style of episode 1 and 2 to that to be a definite downgrade.

Just a clarification - Cthulhu Saves the World uses 16 bit-style visuals and sound, not 8 bit. Their first game, Breath of Death VII, was in the 8 bit style. Also, I haven't seen them clarify what visual style they'll use for the new Penny Arcade game, though it surely won't be 3D. Robert Boyd of Zeboyd is actually a really passionate and knowledgeable gamer, and I look forward to anything he produces.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1107 kennyb324

kennyb324

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Gotham city imposters is #8 on the top 20 most played on G4WL on Major Nelsons blog, not bad but it could be a whole lot worse.

and with all the sales this game has been having i suspect it will rise (first origin sale, now steam)

anyways, im buying it. had alot of fun in the beta.

#1108 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

Gotham city imposters is #8 on the top 20 most played on G4WL on Major Nelsons blog, not bad but it could be a whole lot worse.

and with all the sales this game has been having i suspect it will rise (first origin sale, now steam)

anyways, im buying it. had alot of fun in the beta.

Being on the list in no way indicates a very active community. Red Faction Guerrilla is on that list, given it is considerably lower, and while you can still find a game it totally depends on the time of day and even during the active part of the day may still take 15ish minutes to find a match. And this was quite some time ago so I would imagine it may have been a bit higher on the last back then (considering some games were not out at that time).

I am still very against online only indie games (unless it is going to be something free to play like Hawken). It is a great way to create a game that no one will eventually be able to play. And for an indie game that could be as soon as one or two months.

#1109 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Being on the list in no way indicates a very active community. Red Faction Guerrilla is on that list, given it is considerably lower, and while you can still find a game it totally depends on the time of day and even during the active part of the day may still take 15ish minutes to find a match. And this was quite some time ago so I would imagine it may have been a bit higher on the last back then (considering some games were not out at that time).

RFG is also primarily a single player game.

#1110 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

RFG is also primarily a single player game.

The multiplayer is also incredibly fun, but not many people are going to find that out with a dead community. Although honestly the community is mainly dieing because of the horrid matchmaking system it has.

Also, Bulletstorm is single player only, if I'm not mistaken, and there are more people playing that than playing single player and multi player combined in RFG.