Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1771 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'm against Arcania because it's just a bad game, period. Just comparing it to other ARPGs and not necessarily Gothic games. I pushed through about eight hours of it before I couldn't stand the moronic dialogue and simplistic/uninteresting quests. You'd have a better experience playing on a free World of Warcraft trial account from level 1 to 20.

Oh, it's also poorly optimized. You'll only get a fluid experience if you have a GPU that was manufactured in the last year or two.

#1772 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

dunno if it's been mentioned, but the mount & blade collection is 75% off on Green Man Gaming and registers on steam

http://www.greenmang...ade-collection/

I see they have their own client. Can I just activate the purchase on Steam without downloading anything from GMG? If this information is somewhere on their site I am not finding it which means it is not there or really obvious.

#1773 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I see they have their own client. Can I just activate the purchase on Steam without downloading anything from GMG? If this information is somewhere on their site I am not finding it which means it is not there or really obvious.

Yeah, you don't need their client if you buy a Steamworks game from them. Just take the key they give you and put it into Steam.

#1774 Smashbro29

Smashbro29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Not a Steam deal, but CAG favorite Faerie Solitaire is available for free at http://www.infinitybundle.com/ until the end of April. DRM-free version.

Thoughts on getting a bundle there?

Also, anyone one on what happens with SSFIV:AE when I buy the disc and add it to Steam? Where does the DLC come from?

#1775 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Thanks! I'm just gonna have to add it ghetto style then. It's just so much cheaper. But where do I buy the DLC? GFWL? Doesn't that service suck big time?

yeah, you buy the dlc via GFWL. I heard some problem from people when they bought their DLC for Bioshock 2 where it wouldn't register properly. I haven't bought any dlc from their service so I can't say for sure.

#1776 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thoughts on getting a bundle there?

$27 for all future offerings, including Steam keys, sounds like a sweet deal to me.

MARS

#1777 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

I loved Ultima (4-7) and I loved the first two Gothic games (haven't played the more recent ones). Great stories and atmosphere. The controls for Gothic 1 are an infernal bitch, though.

I was looking at the store page for the Arcania strategy guide and I was surprised to see a screenshot that said Steam Achievements, and upon closer inspection, it's a page from the RUSE guide wedged in between Arcania pages.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1778 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

I think at the time Gothic was supposed to be more carrying the Ultima torch than the Elder Scrolls one.

Well hello, you just got my attention. I played Ultima III Exodus to completion on my family's first computer (no small feat, that), and Ultima VII Part II Serpent Isle is one of my favorite PC games. I named my first Terraria world "New Sosaria" in homage.

Although what I should probably do is fire up the complete collection and replay some of those, I'll definitely be taking a closer look at the Gothic deal now.

#1779 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

So there's a petition on change.org to have Dark Souls PC released without Games For Windows Live.

http://www.change.or...or-windows-live

I definitely signed that one. What a terrible decision. It will discourage people from buying it and then the Japanese will insist there is no market for their games on the PC for another 10 years.

#1780 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

So there's a petition on change.org to have Dark Souls PC released without Games For Windows Live.

I definitely signed that one. What a terrible decision. It will discourage people from buying it and then the Japanese will insist there is no market for their games on the PC for another 10 years.

It'd be nice if it happened but it probably won't change. They're probably doing it cause they are most likely porting over the 360 version and going from xbox live to games for windows live is probably easier than them going to something like steamworks.

#1781 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

So worth watching.

Final pet reveal for Torchlight II.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=CbWcDSa6gps

Ha! Thanks for this. Look at that little guy go!

#1782 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

They're using GFWL because they're porting it from the 360. We're lucky that we're getting a PC version, and the developers clearly don't have a lot of time or money dedicated to it. But if the people who asked for it just buy it, while voicing their concerns that they don't like GFWL at the same time, then it's possible that From's later games will also get PC versions that aren't afterthoughts. If the game doesn't sell well, I'm going to blame the consumers, not the developers. People who pirate it just because it uses GFWL are just looking for excuses to be assholes.

#1783 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Not a Steam deal, but CAG favorite Faerie Solitaire is available for free at http://www.infinitybundle.com/ until the end of April. DRM-free version.

Been playing this on my iphone, grabbing the PC version, thanks.

#1784 Geekquisitions

Geekquisitions

Evil Incarnate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

I was a little tempted by the Infinity Bundle for $27...but from the looks of it, Faerie Solitare was their first game, released in 2009. And it is 2012, with their second PC release, Faerie Solitare II. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I might have to pass on the $30 subscription for one casual PC game every 3 years...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1785 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

They're using GFWL because they're porting it from the 360. We're lucky that we're getting a PC version, and the developers clearly don't have a lot of time or money dedicated to it. But if the people who asked for it just buy it, while voicing their concerns that they don't like GFWL at the same time, then it's possible that From's later games will also get PC versions that aren't afterthoughts. If the game doesn't sell well, I'm going to blame the consumers, not the developers. People who pirate it just because it uses GFWL are just looking for excuses to be assholes.

While I hate GFWL, Dark Souls is one of those games that is worth it. I will be buying this either way because Dark Souls on PC + modding capabilities = :drool:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1786 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

There are too many people on the internet who fail to understand the concept of "be grateful". They ask for Dark Souls to come to PC, it happens, then they whine that they don't like the type of frosting being used on their cake. Seems like a really good way to show the publisher that it's just not worth the hassle.
Posted Image

#1787 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

i dont see whats the big deal about gfwl. ive dealt with it on resident evil 5, street fighter 4, batman aa & batman arkham city and maybe a few more. it is bad but it not so bad that it breaks the game. its just a little inconvenient to have to use.
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#1788 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

i dont see whats the big deal about gfwl. ive dealt with it on resident evil 5, street fighter 4, batman aa & batman arkham city and maybe a few more. it is bad but it not so bad that it breaks the game. its just a little inconvenient to have to use.

Agreed - I'd rather not have it but it's not that big a deal considering I already have to have it for other games.

#1789 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

There are too many people on the internet who fail to understand the concept of "be grateful". They ask for Dark Souls to come to PC, it happens, then they whine that they don't like the type of frosting being used on their cake. Seems like a really good way to show the publisher that it's just not worth the hassle.

Thing is, in this case, the frosting (GFWL) is just shit smeared on the cake and pretty much everyone would be happy with no frosting at all instead of what they are putting on it.

#1790 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

re: Dark Souls and GFWL

I'm not going to pirate it because of GFWL but I might pass on it depending on what the reviews say. GFWL is pretty low on my choice of how I want a PC game distributed right up there with Origin but if the overall reviews say it is decent enough and the GFWL isn't causing any major issues or hassle I will probably still buy it. (Assuming it is on Steam. God help them if they commit PC game sales suicide and for some reason don't get it on there)

Thing is though for me the GFWL while not necessarily 100% a deal breaker did make the game go from pre-order as soon as I am able to to wait and see, give a couple of weeks and read a lot of reviews.

I want to support this game and get others like it ported over but if I hear issues or hassles with GFWL I am out. Maybe I am being paranoid here but I just don't like that platform or the idea of extra accounts and checks and DRM on top of Steam, which is my preferred platform.

#1791 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Don't care why they're doing it. GFWL shows a complete lack of understanding of the PC gamer and shows how truly lazy they're being with the port. Lazy ports rarely make great games. If they had truly targeted the PC gamer and done any kind of research, they would have figured out pretty quickly that they should have targeted the Steam platform if they were going to go any platform on PC. By going GFWL, they've removed any chance of my money.

That's no one's fault but their own. If they wanted to do well with PC gamers, they should have done the five minutes of research it takes to see that GFWL is a piece of crap. If they wanted to just release something to show that PC gamers aren't there, then well... they should have done exactly what they did.

#1792 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Newsflash: Selling video games is a business not some gratis operation companies do out of the goodness of their heart. The concept of 'being grateful' has nothing to do with this situation. The PC Gaming market is thriving and the fact that these developers and publishers were too dense to understand that before is irrelevant. Moreover, to call a form of DRM 'frosting' is hilarious. There are more colorful words I'd use to describe your stance but I'll stop there.

#1793 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Don't care why they're doing it. GFWL shows a complete lack of understanding of the PC gamer and shows how truly lazy they're being with the port. Lazy ports rarely make great games. If they had truly targeted the PC gamer and done any kind of research, they would have figured out pretty quickly that they should have targeted the Steam platform if they were going to go any platform on PC. By going GFWL, they've removed any chance of my money.

That's no one's fault but their own. If they wanted to do well with PC gamers, they should have done the five minutes of research it takes to see that GFWL is a piece of crap. If they wanted to just release something to show that PC gamers aren't there, then well... they should have done exactly what they did.

I don't think the Japanese understand the western PC market at all. Hell until fairly recently I don't think they even thought there was much of one outside of MMOs.

I don't know whose idea this decision was but it stinks. Maybe they just thought Microsoft would be the obvious choice for a port from XBox to Windows or maybe some Microsoft rep took them out to some hostess bar and bought them a bunch of sake, I don't know. Either way I am torn because I very much want to support the game and very much don't want to support GFWL.

I don't want to send the message that there is no market for this sort of game on the PC but I also don't want to send the message of 'hey put more games out on GFWL!'

#1794 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, you're not the president of PC gaming. If you don't like it then don't buy it.

#1795 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Today's deal is Fractal: Make Blooms Not War at 50% off ($3.49)

From the award-winning team that brought you Auditorium and Pulse: Volume One comes Fractal, an enthralling music puzzler experience. Push, Combo, and Chain your way through a pulsing technicolor dreamscape all the while expanding your consciousness at 130 BPM.
Genre: Casual, Indie

#1796 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

This is a really shitty attitude to have about how consumers should behave. I hope people like you are in the minority because it would really upset me if a majority of the gaming population had a view as stupid as this. Consumers should demand a perfect gaming experience and the fault lies entirely with Microsoft.

I think that TotalBiscuit has a really interesting viewpoint on the whole thing

#1797 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

GFWL is diarrhea frosting.

#1798 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Thing is, in this case, the frosting (GFWL) is just shit smeared on the cake and pretty much everyone would be happy with no frosting at all instead of what they are putting on it.

I should've known someone would've beat me to the poop joke.

#1799 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm going to break up the pillow fight for a moment and give Fractal a thumbs up. It's quite beautiful.

MARS

#1800 david69

david69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Today's deal is Fractal: Make Blooms Not War at 50% off ($3.49)

From the award-winning team that brought you Auditorium and Pulse: Volume One comes Fractal, an enthralling music puzzler experience. Push, Combo, and Chain your way through a pulsing technicolor dreamscape all the while expanding your consciousness at 130 BPM.
Genre: Casual, Indie

3.49 ain't bad.. checking it out now