Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1801 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

i dont see whats the big deal about gfwl. ive dealt with it on resident evil 5, street fighter 4, batman aa & batman arkham city and maybe a few more. it is bad but it not so bad that it breaks the game. its just a little inconvenient to have to use.

Batman: AA + AC; Fallout 3; and Gears PC that use G4WL are WIDELY known for having saved-game profiles and saved-game disappearance issues.
Luckily, I never had any of these issues.

Dealing w/ saved games of a G4WL can be a pain in the neck to get it to work when transferring them, too. Go ahead - Google it.
Luckily, I never had issues of these nature.

I've had issue where G4WL wouldn't even connect. Though, go figure - any other program would connect fine to its service (Steam, XFire, Raptr, etc). Reinstalling G4WL or opening ports can help - annoying.
Lord knows what a G4WL [game or the G4WL program] update can do - sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't.

Though G4WL itself, there's no real back-up utility!! This is why you're best off buying G4WL from other services like Amazon DVG, Steam, GameStop PC App, GameFly, Origin, etc. After DLing your game via G4WL them, DON'T INSTALL it...yet. Back-up the installer files they gave you elsewhere or the back-up compressed files you'd need to install the game while on G4WL elsewhere . Afterward installing, it destroys what you have your G4WL installer files.

G4WL is nowhere as robust as Origin, nevermind Steam.

If Microsoft overhauled G4WL and improved the heck out of G4WL, I'd be VERY happy about Dark Souls PC using it. That's the problem, though - there's so many lingering issues w/ G4WL for years that never got addressed. Sure, I'll eventually buy Dark Souls PC b/c I want that game, but I'd rather it use something else.

#1802 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

I've never had to use GFWL. I think I've purchased any game needed GFWL for the console, not by design, but it's just turned out that way.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#1803 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'm going to break up the pillow fight for a moment and give Fractal a thumbs up. It's quite beautiful.

I lol'ed.

OP Updated

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#1804 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I tolerate GFWL. I don't like it, but I don't loathe it to the point of foaming at the mouth whenever it's mentioned either.

However, given people's reactions to it across the internet I can say with 99% certainty that four things will happen when Dark Souls PC is released:

1) It will get pirated to shit in protest of it using GFWL.
2) It will get rating bombed on Metacritic and Amazon because it uses GFWL.
3) People simply won't buy it because they don't agree with the decision to include GFWL.
4) The developer/publisher will look at the number of copies pirated, blame the low sales on pirates, cut their losses and most likely never release a Souls game on PC ever again.

#1805 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I tolerate GFWL. I don't like it, but I don't loathe it to the point of foaming at the mouth whenever it's mentioned either.

Same here.

However, given people's reactions to it across the internet I can say with 99% certainty that four things will happen when Dark Souls PC is released:

3) People simply won't buy it because they don't agree with the decision to include GFWL.
4) The developer/publisher will look at the number of copies pirated, blame the low sales on pirates, cut their losses and most likely never release a Souls game on PC ever again.

I really hope NONE of this happens.

More so than anything, Microsoft needs to improve G4WL and all of its issues. It needs an overhaul. They also need give it more features. It's just as simple as that. Microsoft needs to make it more attractive for game-companies who put games on their XBox 360 to ALSO want to put them on G4WL.

I'm betting since XBL and G4WL are basically once service [you can use same account for both!], it's less work for a company [like From Software] who had a game on X360 to implement code for G4WL in the port [which is another Microsoft product], than port the game over rip out XBL code [and or disable it] and instead throw in some Steamworks code for the PC port.

If EA can improve EADM [now Origin], Microsoft surely can improve G4WL.
Neither of them [Origin and G4WL] are as robust as Steam, though.

#1806 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

I agreed with the "tolerate GFWL" comment. I'm the same way. Sometimes you just have to deal with it if you want to play a game.

As far as the four things, it's sad but true.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1807 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

It will happen. Best case scenario, people will buy the game but actually USE the pirate versions because it'll be a better experience. Then the publisher will look at the torrent numbers and figure that none of those people paid for the game, and write off PC games because of overblown inaccurate piracy "research".

#1808 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Did the same happen to Arkham City?

#1809 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I don't like that when I log into my Live account, that if someone is on say the Xbox watching Netflix when I want to play something that uses GFWL, it boots the person off the Xbox account.

I guess I could make a separate account for GFWL but I shouldn't HAVE to. This is just lazy on Microsoft's part.

#1810 lito88

lito88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

I don't like that when I log into my Live account, that if someone is on say the Xbox watching Netflix when I want to play something that uses GFWL, it boots the person off the Xbox account.

I guess I could make a separate account for GFWL but I shouldn't HAVE to. This is just lazy on Microsoft's part.

indeed.

#1811 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Perhaps, but it's not dissimilar from what Steam does. Only one computer can be logged in per account on either service. I imagine that this is less about Microsoft being lazy and more about satisfying the demands/requirements of the producers of the games they publish.

It is a nuisance though, and I agree that you shouldn't have to create two GFWL accounts so you can watch movies and play games at the same time. This sort of use doesn't violate the spirit of fair use the same way that two people playing the same game at the same time on two different computers would.

In Steam's world, I tolerate this sort of nuisance because the sales are so good. I don't mind buying, for instance, Plants vs Zombies a second time for $2.00 so my kids can play that on their account on their computer while I'm playing something else on mine. But in the GFWL world, there are no deals so crazy, so it hurts worse.

#1812 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

It will happen. Best case scenario, people will buy the game but actually USE the pirate versions because it'll be a better experience. Then the publisher will look at the torrent numbers and figure that none of those people paid for the game, and write off PC games because of overblown inaccurate piracy "research".

I'm actually pondering this scenario. I won't play it without paying for it but I don't want the GFWL so I may pay for it and then still find other ways to get rid of it.

This whole thing with GFWL which is much maligned in the PC gaming world with good reason is setting this game up to fail. Of course the finger will get pointed at pirates or not being enough of a market etc etc rather than Microsoft's crappy service. Nevermind that games like Skyrim sold millions of copies on Steam at full price and many months later it is still one of their top sellers. Companies never look at stuff like that, they just find some silly statistic without the proper context and make decisions based on it. *sigh*

#1813 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Perhaps, but it's not dissimilar from what Steam does. Only one computer can be logged in per account on either service. I imagine that this is less about Microsoft being lazy and more about satisfying the demands/requirements of the producers of the games they publish.

It is a nuisance though, and I agree that you shouldn't have to create two GFWL accounts so you can watch movies and play games at the same time. This sort of use doesn't violate the spirit of fair use the same way that two people playing the same game at the same time on two different computers would.

In Steam's world, I tolerate this sort of nuisance because the sales are so good. I don't mind buying, for instance, Plants vs Zombies a second time for $2.00 so my kids can play that on their account on their computer while I'm playing something else on mine. But in the GFWL world, there are no deals so crazy, so it hurts worse.

If I could play my Xbox games on my PC with my login I could understand that. Second I pay for Xbox Live, I have to have a Gold account to use Netflix. GFWL is free...the only thing tying the two together are the login. I would imagine that upon login Microsoft could identify that I was on an Xbox and not a PC. But anyway, GFWL sucks.

#1814 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Today's deal is James Bond: Blood Stone for $14.99. I've been waiting for a sale for this but 15 bucks still seems too much.

#1815 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Today's deal is James Bond: Blood Stone for $14.99. I've been waiting for a sale for this but 15 bucks still seems too much.

It was $9.99 at some point. Might be lower coming memorial day or the summer sale.

#1816 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

If I could play my Xbox games on my PC with my login I could understand that. Second I pay for Xbox Live, I have to have a Gold account to use Netflix. GFWL is free...the only thing tying the two together are the login. I would imagine that upon login Microsoft could identify that I was on an Xbox and not a PC. But anyway, GFWL sucks.

Excellent points. You deserve better options in a service that you pay for.

#1817 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Finally got a chance to try a game of Nexuiz, well sort of. It crashed 3 minutes in after spending 15-20 minutes trying to find a game.

Looks and feels like a Unreal Tournament clone. Now normally I would find that a bad thing, but since Unreal Tournament 3 was really the last Arena based shooter I can think of, it's just nice to have something out there. That is considering the game stops having problems.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1818 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Finally got a chance to try a game of Nexuiz, well sort of. It crashed 3 minutes in after spending 15-20 minutes trying to find a game.

Looks and feels like a Unreal Tournament clone. Now normally I would find that a bad thing, but since Unreal Tournament 3 was really the last Arena based shooter I can think of, it's just nice to have something out there. That is considering the game stops having problems.

The same matchmaking problems existed on XBLA. I was hoping it was a platform specific problem because they had issues using Xbox Live. It appears that's not the case. It doesn't matter how good your multiplayer game is if people can't connect to other players easily.

#1819 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

The same matchmaking problems existed on XBLA. I was hoping it was a platform specific problem because they had issues using Xbox Live. It appears that's not the case. It doesn't matter how good your multiplayer game is if people can't connect to other players easily.

That is a shame, I would of day one bought that but now I guess I wont unless they fix matchmaking.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1820 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

That is a shame, I would of day one bought that but now I guess I wont unless they fix matchmaking.

99% of CAG doesn't care, but "would've" is a contraction of would have; "would of" has no meaning...just FYI.
Posted Image

#1821 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

99% of CAG doesn't care, but "would've" is a contraction of would have; "would of" has no meaning...just FYI.

I care. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1822 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I care as well. You'd be surprised at how many people do that. It makes me sad, very very sad. That and:

"Dude did you try those chips out?"
"Yeah! Their really good!"

... :whee:

#1823 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Man, I would of dropped my two cents on this issue, but I thought we didn't want posts here unless their on topic.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#1824 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

MARS

#1825 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I care as well. You'd be surprised at how many people do that. It makes me sad, very very sad.

Then you'll love this article/series of images, which is a great resource to help people who have problems with homophones, spelling, and such:

http://theoatmeal.co...ics/misspelling

Posted Image

Also, here's an interesting read in which the owners of GOG purport that Steam sales are bad for the industry:

http://www.gamesindu...good-for-anyone

-Paul Acevedo

#1826 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

I care as well. You'd be surprised at how many people do that. It makes me sad, very very sad. That and:

"Dude did you try those chips out?"
"Yeah! Their really good!"

... :whee:

Okay, then you won't mind me bringing up how you misused "restless" recently, when you should've said "tiresome". Also, weren't you the one arguing several months ago against people elevating their vocabularies?

Veering back on-topic, it seems like the Dailies are either indie games that've already been bundled, or under-discounted big-publisher stuff. Bleh.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1827 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Okay, then you won't mind me bringing up how you misused "restless" recently, when you should've said "tiresome". Also, weren't you the one arguing several months ago against people elevating their vocabularies?

Veering back on-topic, it seems like the Dailies are either indie games that've already been bundled, or under-discounted big-publisher stuff. Bleh.

Lol... It's quite thoughtful of you, the educator among us, to take this as an opportunity to troll me. Much appreciated, keep up the good work. :applause:

Of course I don't mind digging up past arguments in the name of attempting to create more arguments now, why would I mind? I'll spare the further useless posts on my part, feel free to do the same.

/cuefurthertrolling

#1828 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Your use of commas is... creative.

#1829 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

For Christmas, I'll be buying atryuevr a copy of
Spoiler
:D

Back on topic (sort of), I played some more Legend of Grimrock over the weekend. I'm going to add crabs and snails to the list* of puny insignificant beings that I'm now terrified of. I'm really, really enjoying it. I've not resorted to googlecheating for any of the puzzles thusfar, I find it's easier to save the game and walk away from the PC for a bit; you get a nice warm feeling from solving some of the more taxing ones.

* - I'm already scared of spiders, before you ask :lol:

#1830 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Your use of commas is... creative.

He's using them to represent pauses in speech, which is perfectly acceptable - dashes would also work. :D Let's not pick apart each other's posts just to be mean though. The important thing when you bring up errors is that you're trying to help others, not just be snarky.

-Paul Acevedo