Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1831 Anti Lifesaver

Anti Lifesaver

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

He's using them to represent pauses in speech, which is perfectly acceptable - dashes would also work. :D Let's not pick apart each other's posts just to be mean though. The important thing when you bring up errors is that you're trying to help others, not just be snarky.

Comma definitely do not represent pauses in speech. They represent the separation of clauses.

#1832 Firvagor

Firvagor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

"Your welcome!"
"...My welcome?"

Also this (language warning for those who care).

Finally got around to catching upon my backlog a bit. Faerie Solitaire is strangely addicting. I ended up playing for a few hours while thinking Why am I still playing this!?

For some reason weird prices like $3.47 seem more tempting than $2.49, maybe because I'm desensitized to the latter. Hopefully I can finally kick the "buy anything under $5 that seems at least slightly interesting and has good reviews" habit starting with the summer sale.

#1833 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Comma definitely do not represent pauses in speech. They represent the separation of clauses.

Separating clauses is definitely their primary use, but I was taught in the ol' university they can be used for both purposes. There may be other schools of thought, but it's accepted commonly enough. How would you add the pauses?

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1834 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Oh some new posts since I went to bed last night. I wonder what happened on Steam whilst I was asleep.
Mother of god. Your all a bunch of crazys.

#1835 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Oh some new posts since I went to bed last night. I wonder what happened on Steam whilst I was asleep.

Posted Image!!! :lol:

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1836 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I spotted three errors. Well played, louiedog :)

#1837 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Separating clauses is definitely their primary use, but I was taught in the ol' university they can be used for both purposes. There may be other schools of thought, but it's accepted commonly enough. How would you add the pauses?

While I was never actually taught to use them in that way whilst writing although I was taught to read them as pauses.

#1838 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image!!! :lol:

I should of misused an apostrophe so you could post Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots. The Oatmeal is fine and dandy... but nothing beats a classic.

I read that GOG on Steam sales piece and I can't disagree that they're probably devaluing games. I'm not sure if that's Steam's fault or the publishers'. When 98% of games that get retail releases, even if only the console versions, are valued at the same high price the system is already broken. If Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Duke Nukem Forever launch at the same price despite being quite far apart in terms of quality and amount of content the consumer already knows there's a problem.

I think that Steam sales began as a response to customers looking at the price of a lot of these games, laughing, and waiting. Plenty of people were happy to pay $60 for Skyrim at launch. Very few sale games were able to displace it from the #1 sale spot for the first few weeks that it was out.

Edited by louiedog, 16 April 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#1839 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Finally got around to catching upon my backlog a bit. Faerie Solitaire is strangely addicting. I ended up playing for a few hours while thinking Why am I still playing this!?

For some reason weird prices like $3.47 seem more tempting than $2.49, maybe because I'm desensitized to the latter. Hopefully I can finally kick the "buy anything under $5 that seems at least slightly interesting and has good reviews" habit starting with the summer sale.

I noticed the same about the Faerie Solitaire, it's simple, but they do a good job to decorate a card game with enough bells and whistles to make it rise above.

I have a hard time passing on anything sub $5 bucks myself, especially with the crazy sales amazon has been having lately and then with that 1C pack last week and add to that all these bundles and the backlog grows faster than mundane conversations about grammar.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#1840 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

I read that GOG on Steam sales piece and I can't disagree that they're probably devaluing games. I'm not sure if that's Steam's fault or the publishers'. When 98% of games that get retail releases, even if only the console versions, are valued at the same high price the system is already broken. If Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Duke Nukem Forever launch at the same price despite being quite far apart in terms of quality and amount of content the consumer already knows there's a problem.

I think that Steam sales began as a response to customers looking at the price of a lot of these games, laughing, and waiting. Plenty of people were happy to pay $60 for Skyrim at launch. Very few sale games were able to displace it from the #1 sale spot for the first few weeks that it was out.

It's the publishers. It's absolutely the publishers. It's easy for GOG to blame Steam but I guarantee you nothing goes on sale on Steam without permission from the publisher or developer (if indie). Also, I really don't see how this is that much different than PC games going in the bargain bin at brick and mortar stores after they have been out for a certain period of time. The only difference is that this is more high profile and access to it is easier and generally at a known set time, at least for the big sales.

Publishers view games as having a shelf life and after about 6 months they know that they have pretty much gotten everyone who is willing to pay full price for it to buy it and have to start putting it on sale. That's just the way it is.

The deeply discounted Steam sales are all for older titles. Generally speaking at least 6 months old and in many cases a year. New stuff that is selling well does not go on 75% off sales, hence there has not been one for say Skyrim.

Also, in many cases, particularly for daily deal sales, the price cuts really do help push sales of older or lesser known titles. Does anybody really think Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines was selling a ton of copies prior to the couple of sales they had it on?

Lastly, I think the indie bundles are far, far more damaging to PC gaming and the perceived value of games. You see things like '$5 an indie game? OUTRAGEOUS! I am waiting until it's in a pack of 6 indie games for $3.99!' I honestly do believe that the bulk of people buying AAA games for 75% off on Steam wouldn't buy them anyway at full price while I do believe many of the people buying indie bundles would buy some of those games at full price if it weren't for the bundles.

I am sorry that GOG's grapes are sour but this situation was created by the nature of the business and not anything that Steam dictated. The Steam sales are an effect, not the cause.

#1841 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't see how this is any different than every retailer having Rayman Origins for $20 a few months after release.

#1842 Firvagor

Firvagor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I have a hard time passing on anything sub $5 bucks myself, especially with the crazy sales amazon has been having lately...

Very yes, although I don't feel as guilty buying them from Amazon since it's just using credit I have stockpiled for stuff like this.

#1843 david69

david69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I spotted three errors. Well played, louiedog :)

Hahaha.. great errors though!

#1844 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hydrophobia again *sigh*

At least tomorrow's midweek madness is likely to be The Witcher 2.

#1845 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm starting to suffer from Steam sale withdrawal. Hasn't been anything that interested me for a couple of months now -- granted I only have about 15ish things on my wishlist and most are a bit obscure.

#1846 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hydrophobia again *sigh*

At least tomorrow's midweek madness is likely to be The Witcher 2.

Deals like this are the reason I prefer the weekly thing and am glad amazon didn't go the daily deal route. With the dailies it just feels like the same deals rehashed over and over and there is rarely a daily that just screams BUY. The mid-week and weekend deals from Steam have been much better though I have not purchased anything from Steam since Christmas.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#1847 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Seriously, I don't understand why they recycle daily deals so often with such a huge catalog.

#1848 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Seriously, I don't understand why they recycle daily deals so often with such a huge catalog.

Because you need a publisher to cooperate. It's not like retail where they buy their stock and then sell it. I'm sure the Hydrophobia people want to make as much money as possible and are always willing to jump in on a sale. If they didn't already shut down they're in the process of it and probably have some bills and salaries to straighten out.

#1849 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Probably not totally up to Steam what they put on sale.

#1850 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Damn, hasn't been a Steam deal I've jumped on since the holiday sale. I grabbed Darksiders for $5 on Amazon and then Amalur and ME3 for near full price. Looking forward to some good sales again. Oh yeah there was also Rochard from IGN Prime, that game is actually really good.

#1851 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Probably not totally up to Steam what they put on sale.

Because you need a publisher to cooperate. It's not like retail where they buy their stock and then sell it. I'm sure the Hydrophobia people want to make as much money as possible and are always willing to jump in on a sale. If they didn't already shut down they're in the process of it and probably have some bills and salaries to straighten out.

I assumed as much but even then, I have a hard time believing they can't find enough willing publishers/developers to avoid situations like this where Hydrophobia is a daily two or three (or more) times a year.

#1852 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

In all fairness, Hydrophobia was $9.99 (75% $2.49) the last time it was a Daily Deal. Now it's $4.99 (75% $1.24) which is a more satisfying price.

It's not the same deal.

MARS

#1853 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

According to @CapyGames, Sword & Sorcery will be 25% off for a week when it hits Steam today and will include the LP.

#1854 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

In all fairness, Hydrophobia was $9.99 (75% $2.49) the last time it was a Daily Deal. Now it's $4.99 (75% $1.24) which is a more satisfying price.

It's not the same deal.

Indeed. I kept holding off. $1.24 is low enough that I don't mind adding it to my backlog now.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#1855 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Indeed. I kept holding off. $1.24 is low enough that I don't mind adding it to my backlog now.

Same here

#1856 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I assumed as much but even then, I have a hard time believing they can't find enough willing publishers/developers to avoid situations like this where Hydrophobia is a daily two or three (or more) times a year.

Yeah I feel the same too. I know they need permission but I think it's just lazy to go with one they already had rather than try for another. There's a lot of indie games on Steam and I bet a fair bit of those developers would jump at the chance to get their games promoted with a deal of the day that otherwise gets lost in the shuffle.

I mean there's stuff like Legend of Fae where I just think guys this is a decent game but it really needs to be promoted a little. Instead we get Hydrophobia for the third time that I can recall and I have only been following Steam sales for about 9 months.

#1857 The Sifu

The Sifu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

According to @CapyGames, Sword & Sorcery will be 25% off for a week when it hits Steam today and will include the LP.

Looks like Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery just popped up:

http://store.steampo...com/app/204060/

Normally $7.99, on sale for 25% off ($5.99) until April 23rd.

#1858 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Looks like Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery just popped up:

http://store.steampo...com/app/204060/

Normally $7.99, on sale for 25% off ($5.99) until April 23rd.

Wow, even cheaper than I expected. That's really tempting.

#1859 TestType

TestType

model fetishist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Wow, even cheaper than I expected. That's really tempting.

Agreed, tempting.

No mention of getting the music on the Steam product page, they may have meant to say that the game features more music and/or better quality music, not that it comes included with the game to play separately. Would find that surprising actually if they would include the soundtrack with every copy since the soundtrack is possibly a proportionally large revenue stream for them.

edit: nevermind, they updated the page with soundtrack information.

Edited by TestType, 16 April 2012 - 07:19 PM.

Posted Image

#1860 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Agreed, tempting.
No mention of getting the music on the Steam product page, they may have meant to say that the game features more music and/or better quality music, not that it comes included with the game to play separately. Would find that surprising actually if they would include the soundtrack with every copy since the soundtrack is possibly a proportionally large revenue stream for them.

The music definitely seems like a big draw. I was expecting a bundle with the music for an extra couple of bucks like Bastion and The Binding of Isaac have.