Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1891 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

For some reason Cities in Motion collection is showing up at the full price ($39.99) and not $13.99. Cheapy's info shows it was updated 4/16 (today); was the info on Cities in Motion wrong, or outdated?

This made me smile. :)

In case you were wondering it's a handful of people who frequent this thread that update the OP, myself included, not CheapyD. =P

Regarding the pricing mistake listed in the OP, that would be my fault as I didn't check if the current listed deals were still going on. I'll update that now, sorry again for the mixup. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#1892 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

I'm glad to see everyone else seems to think that the Sword & Sorcery music is as good as I do. I very rarely listen to game music, but I think this is something really special. I don't think I'll get around to playing the game for a little while, but the fact that it comes with the soundtrack and is cheaper than buying the album on its own is doing a lot to push me over the edge.

#1893 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

I'm glad to see everyone else seems to think that the Sword & Sorcery music is as good as I do. I very rarely listen to game music, but I think this is something really special. I don't think I'll get around to playing the game for a little while, but the fact that it comes with the soundtrack and is cheaper than buying the album on its own is doing a lot to push me over the edge.

Agreed, listening to it now. Did so just off other CAG's recommendations here. Thank You. Definitely something worth giving a listen to if you are into new experiences.

#1894 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Isn't the $50 for the EE edition, which is distinct from the initial release? I haven't been watching the price, since I haven't even started the first game, and will wait for a $5 W2 by the time W4 comes out.

Everyone who had the old version got a free update with the new extended content, similar to how the first Witcher did.

#1895 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

I'm going to be honest. I found the Sworcery music kinda quaint. I don't get the hyperbolic reactions but it was pretty nice. Definitely worth listening to.

The game itself is more quirky hipster than pretentious hipster if that makes it easier for you to buy. I still hated it, if THAT makes it easier. Gameplay consisted entirely of walking back and forth for the entire first half with about four bouts of lousy combat.

That first statement is essentially the opposite of what you're arguing (hardly ~ scarcely). Secondly, pretentious is probably a stronger argument than ostentatious anyways. But don't worry, your distaste came through as clearly as always.

IT WAS IRONIC BECAUSE I WAS BEING HIPSTER

Or

Something.

Yeah whatever. Letting my nerd rage buttons get hit + poor sleeping habits = awful post quality
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#1896 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

I hardly think it is bad to support companies and I would certainly say giving as much as you can, without exceeding the cost of an item, to them instead of giving some of the money to a random middleman that has possibly no impact on the game or future games from said company would not be worship.

Of course it's not bad. RollingSkull just has this weird axe to grind with indie developers. And yet he pledged money to not one but two indie game Kickstarter projects recently - a man of enigmas!

Is Sword & Sorcery better on iPhone or PC? I own both and I don't know which to get it on.

Nobody's actually posting their Steam version impressions yet (shame on you all). That said, come on. You think they ported their tiny iPhone game to PC and somehow made it worse?

I'm going to be honest. I found the Sworcery music kinda quaint. I don't get the hyperbolic reactions but it was pretty nice. Definitely worth listening to.

Liking something or even being very enthusiastic about something are not examples of hyperbole. Hyperbole is what you do when you say that things are garbage. The reverse example would be if someone said it was the best soundtrack ever, which I haven't seen. So the music struck a special chord with UtopianMachine, big deal. :P

Edited by eastx, 17 April 2012 - 08:10 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1897 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

Overall I do appreciate what GOG has done for reviving a lot of older games and making them less of a pain in the ass to get running on modern PCs. I like their anti-DRM stance in theory, but in practice I buy my games, don't mind paying for it and don't mind DRM if it is not hindering my gaming. In fact, if it provides value added features like organizing my collection, keeping them up to date, cloud save backup etc without limiting me then I prefer it to no DRM at all. I don't think DRM itself is so much the problem as much as is the traditional draconian implementations of DRM that limit you without adding anything.

I agree with everything you've said here. I generally prefer Steam. There's something about rooting for the little guy when I buy from GOG, but the majority of my purchases are on Steam.

About the DRM issue, though, there was one thing I wanted to add. When I travel, I bring a game on my laptop for downtime. More often than not, it's a game from GOG. There's a happy coincidence working there; I don't want a game client like Steam or Origin or GFWL mucking around on my work computer, and games from GOG generally play just fine using on-board graphics and slow laptop hard drives. It's so pleasing how that works out. The perfect scenario for using GOG's games.

I am listening to the S&S soundtrack as I type this. It's really very excellent. Much deeper than the usual game soundtrack. It could be a Moby album. Thanks, Louiedog, for the link.

#1898 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

You think they ported their tiny iPhone game to PC and somehow made it worse?

Are you being facetious, sir? if you are indeed serious, I offer you exhibit A. It's a fine little time waster on PC. But with a big touchscreen, it's exactly the game it's supposed to be, and far more entertaining to play. Until I buy a touch screen monitor, I won't be playing Flight Control on my computer again.

#1899 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Are you being facetious, sir? if you are indeed serious, I offer you exhibit A. It's a fine little time waster on PC. But with a big touchscreen, it's exactly the game it's supposed to be, and far more entertaining to play. Until I buy a touch screen monitor, I won't be playing Flight Control on my computer again.

Huh! I actually like the PC version much better, but I could be in the minority. The hi-res art, the extra level, Steam Achievements, and Cloud support are all nice. The PS3 version has multiplayer though, which I expect would be a lot of fun, despite the less naturalistic controls compared to touch screen or mouse.

-Paul Acevedo

#1900 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

Think the cheapest W2 was before on Steam was $24ish -- so waiting for a 50% off sale for the EE would basically match the deepest discount they had before. Personally I'll probably wait for 60% or higher... I'm patient.

#1901 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

The PA Report has posted a counterpoint article about the affect of Steam sale prices on the indie gaming scene. I don't think it factors in things like people flat-out avoiding buying games at launch (see the post above this one, heh) in favor of waiting for sales, which is a genuine behavior that has evolved from the Steam sales practice. But according to PA (and Valve), Steam sales just plain drive up profits due to the hugely increased volume of games sold.

-Paul Acevedo

#1902 pinkgun

pinkgun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

R.U.S.E 75%OFF at GG, steam redeemable
http://www.gamersgat...rt-of-deception

#1903 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

So the music struck a special chord with the semi-deaf girl, big deal. :P

:cry:

I am listening to the S&S soundtrack as I type this. It's really very excellent. Much deeper than the usual game soundtrack. It could be a Moby album. Thanks, Louiedog, for the link.

Ah, I do enjoy some of Moby's stuff. Definitely see the comparison there.

I'll likely buy the game later today for the soundtrack.

#1904 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

:cry:

I meant that calling your comment hyperbolic is in itself hyperbolic, because enthusiasm isn't the same as hyperbole. I had missed gcorlett's comment though. Just mentioned the semi-deaf thing because you brought it up and said that you enjoyed the music more than you usually do. Certainly I did not intend to be rude about your hearing status, Utopian. Sorry. :(

-Paul Acevedo

#1905 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

I meant that calling your comment hyperbolic is in itself hyperbolic, because enthusiasm isn't the same as hyperbole. I had missed gcorlett's comment though. Just mentioned the semi-deaf thing because you brought it up and said that you enjoyed the music more than you usually do. Certainly I did not intend to be rude about your hearing status, Utopian. Sorry. :(

Totally okay. Thanks for the post.

Hugs all around!

:grouphug:

#1906 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

R.U.S.E 75%OFF at GG, steam redeemable
http://www.gamersgat...rt-of-deception

Game looks very intresting, but at $17 for the base game and all DLC, with the DLC having been $2 and $3 on steam before. I think I'll wait for it to go on sale on Steam, thanks though. Not enough of a discount this time.

#1907 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

You really think the game will go lower than 75 percent on Steam? That's the cheapest it is going to get. Snag the game, wait for the DLC to go on sale on Steam if it interests you.

#1908 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have absolutely no sympathy for any argument that suggests that lower prices are not sustainable and that it is higher virtue to attempt to sell a product for more than people are willing to pay.

#1909 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

There's a new Humble Bundle coming soon. No details.

#1910 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Ooo, Humble Bundles are always delicious.

#1911 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

I have it as part of that game music bundle that came by a few months ago. It seems pretty solid, tho it doesn't stand out either.

The PA Report has posted a counterpoint article about the affect of Steam sale prices on the indie gaming scene. I don't think it factors in things like people flat-out avoiding buying games at launch (see the post above this one, heh) in favor of waiting for sales, which is a genuine behavior that has evolved from the Steam sales practice. But according to PA (and Valve), Steam sales just plain drive up profits due to the hugely increased volume of games sold.

I think there are a couple things from my perspective that I think are true:

1) Steam is a big reason why I'm back into PC gaming, and I think that's more true for many than some developers want to think.

2) I don't think the indie movement would have had the impact it does now without Steam.

I don't think it was the start of "cheap" gaming. I think when anyone has a backlog they get more conservative with how they spend their money. I also think Gabe has a point that there is just so much out there that there is more than what the average gamer can play.

I have a similar game on my phone, and I don't find the gameplay much different on either format. It is an enjoyable game on PC as well as touchscreen.
Posted Image

#1912 david69

david69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

IT WAS IRONIC BECAUSE I WAS BEING HIPSTER

Yeah, but we have no hipster emoticons.. so how are WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW!?

I guess you shoulda done one of these </hipster> ?

#1913 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, but we have no hipster emoticons.. so how are WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW!?

Challenge accepted.

Posted Image

#1914 Wildcat1080

Wildcat1080

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Picked up Sword & Sworcery.

If you missed this on iOS (I did) and enjoy point & click adventure games (ie: you don't have a short attention span) then pick this up.

I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, but just *playing* the game I don't see what would draw you into the idea of "man I want to go listen to this soundtrack!" Music barely plays; it's usually just ambient noises here and there. Every time a beat or rhythm starts to kick in, it stops after a few seconds. Really wish they emphasized the music more in the actual game, since it seems like they're really stressing the MUSIC aspect of this game. I'm only 40% through it (surprised by its length...I had thought I had beaten it at one point but it kept going) so maybe the music gets more emphasized soon.

#1915 NathanGraves

NathanGraves

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Challenge accepted.

Posted Image

That's an Emo emoticon... hehe, emoticon.

But yeah, a Hipster emoticon should have Ray Ban glasses and a smug frown on it's face.

#1916 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

That's an Emo emoticon... hehe, emoticon.

But yeah, a Hipster emoticon should have Ray Ban glasses and a smug frown on it's face.

Like this?

https://encrypted-tb...3pj6Hh6QFRedTQA

#1917 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Or this.

https://encrypted-tb...xDg8aDjzZQbvD0g

Alright, enough of that. Time for a workout. When I come back, it should be time for our 1 PM disappointment! ;)

#1918 NathanGraves

NathanGraves

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Alright, enough of that. Time for a workout. When I come back, it should be time for our 1 PM disappointment! ;)

Skyrim 75% off!
Spoiler

#1919 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Today's deal: Hydrophobia 85% off

#1920 gentlyporking

gentlyporking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!