Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#211 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I love Recettear, that's a fair price for it. But I'd recommend anyone try the demo first, it's a very specific, grinding kind of gameplay that you may or may not like.

#212 paulcalypse

paulcalypse

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Damn it. I just bought Recettear this morning. An hour and a half before it became the daily deal. What are the odds?
From this point on I will never buy any game on Steam full price.

Took you long enough! Welcome to the club!

TyranitarJr.png

#213 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Damn it. I just bought Recettear this morning. An hour and a half before it became the daily deal. What are the odds?
From this point on I will never buy any game on Steam full price.

I love the smell of Steam noob in the morning!

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#214 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

I love the smell of Steam noob in the morning!

I purchased my first game at full price this weekend. After I played the demo for Rayman Origins I had to have it. I haven't made an impulse purchase like that in quite some time.

#215 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

I purchased my first game at full price this weekend. After I played the demo for Rayman Origins I had to have it. I haven't made an impulse purchase like that in quite some time.

The one thing that's making me lean toward pre-ordering Rayman is that Rayman 2 bonus. I just really wonder what they'll do with Rayman 2 once Origins is released.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#216 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

The one thing that's making me lean toward pre-ordering Rayman is that Rayman 2 bonus. I just really wonder what they'll do with Rayman 2 once Origins is released.

Probably what they did with Mafia when it was a preorder bonus for Mafia 2 if I read correctly....they released it in the store for sale a few weeks later.

So if you hold off I would think you could get Rayman 2 later....I just wanted to play origins that weekend with a friend.

#217 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Too bad Recettear wasn't a DD five days ago. Then I could've used a coupon.

#218 houdinilogic

houdinilogic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Too bad Recettear wasn't a DD five days ago. Then I could've used a coupon.

Haha, use a coupon. Good one :)

#219 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

Probably what they did with Mafia when it was a preorder bonus for Mafia 2 if I read correctly....they released it in the store for sale a few weeks later.

So if you hold off I would think you could get Rayman 2 later....I just wanted to play origins that weekend with a friend.

Bad advice, Dungeons came with Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 IIRC (Or was it Dungeon Siege came with 1 and 2?) and they've never been added as individual titles on Steam. Sometimes they just don't come.

#220 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

Bad advice, Dungeons came with Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 IIRC (Or was it Dungeon Siege came with 1 and 2?) and they've never been added as individual titles on Steam. Sometimes they just don't come.

It was Dungeon Siege but I think that was sort of a specific case since 3 was put out by a totally different publisher than 1 and 2. They must have convinced Microsoft to let them sell 1 and 2 on Steam as part of a bonus package, but apparently Microsoft doesn't want to sell those games on their own on Steam. In any case, it's not a pre-order bonus and you can still get the Dungeon Siege III Complete version.

It is a crap shoot with the pre-order bonuses though in general. Sometimes they come out right away or soon after, sometimes many months after and sometimes not at all.

I'm currently in a dilemma over Risen 2 because supposedly the only way to get the Treasure Island DLC is to pre-order, but you can't pre-order it on Steam and the only place I know if in the US that you can is Amazon. It's Steamworks so it will register but still being forced to buy a boxed copy and wait for it to get here for a Steam games seems a bit much trouble to go to for a DLC.

#221 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

For those on the edge about Recettear, I present to you:
Spoiler

Not mine of course.

Dungeons did not come with Dungeon Keeper as EA owns the franchise and has nothing to do with Dungeons at all. Dungeon Siege on the other hand, yes, the pre-order came with Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 and there is a "Dungeon Siege Pack" on Steam for $40. You just aren't able to buy them separately. Which is stupid, but whatever.

#222 Camwi

Camwi

Can I be a sasquatch too?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

^^^
That image is awesome.

#223 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

It's funny, but the person who wrote it is also nasty and unpleasant.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#224 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

I love Draekon, but I found that little "anonymous" insight absolutely worthless and unfunny. Not sure what was to come out of that, but I definitely regret reading it. Still love you though, Draekon.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#225 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

I really want to like Origins but it just feels tedious to me. I couldn't get past 30 minutes in the demo. I must be doing it wrong.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#226 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

It's funny, but the person who wrote it is also nasty and unpleasant.

Naturally because it's probably from 4chan.

I wish someone would beat the $25 price on Saints Row 3. 3 places have had it on sale this week for that price. What happened to competition?!

#227 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

I really want to like Origins but it just feels tedious to me. I couldn't get past 30 minutes in the demo. I must be doing it wrong.

If you like 2D platformers but don't enjoy Rayman Origins, then yeah, you probably are doing something wrong. Of course the game gets better as you gain more powers, and each new world is more lush and beautiful than the previous. The bosses are huge, challenging, and interesting; and 4 player co-op works quite well. But IMO it puts its best foot forward right from the beginning.

-Paul Acevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#228 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

I'm in world 4 and it's tedious to me.

Also, what bosses? I've nothing but tedious shump segments at the end of each world and one retarded shump boss.

About the only thing I have really enjoyed so far is the "Oooh!" when you find a secret area and the chest chase levels because the music is just so lively.

Bigger fan of NSMB Wii, myself.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#229 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

I think the shmup segments are fine, but I have to remember who I'm talking to here. On the subject of bosses, there are some regular platforming ones too.

-Paul Acevedo

#230 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, you're talking to a guy who has been playing Gundemonium Collection, Jamestown, Dodonpachi, Espgaluda 2, and that stupid bug girl shootan each at least once or twice a week for the past couple of months.

Feels like I'm going back to Space Invaders with tedious collecting.

#231 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I mean I'm talking to the overly cynical guy who complains about everything. But anyway, I think the purpose of the shmup levels is to provide a break from the normal gameplay. You can't expect them to be as finely honed as a standalone shmup from a Japanese developer. But they have their own unique mechanics and are pretty well thought-out; they're not just throwaway levels.

My only real complaint about the game is that the time trials for each level. They seem unecessary to me, but would add a lot of playtime for completionists.

-Paul Acevedo

#232 Nimrod4431

Nimrod4431

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

Just an FYI, I just got Payday for $7.50 on amazon and got a free $10 promotion towards a video game .. effectively getting the game for free and getting a free $2.50 credit. The way they list it (http://www.amazon.co...30929303&sr=8-4)..

Mass Effect 3 is now available to pre-load in preparation for the 12:01AM PST release on March 6, 2012. Plus, buy today and get a $10 Amazon.com Video Games credit and an M55 Argus Assault Rifle. Check out "Mass Effect 3 Standard Edition", or grab the "Digital Deluxe Edition", which includes the "From Ashes" DLC. Learn more.

So you do have to call them and manually have them add the credit but it worked for me and a friend. Can't be free that's for sure. I guess results may vary but I can't see them making too much of a fuss as it's obviously a mistake on their end because it does look like it should have to apply to Mass Effect 3 only.

#233 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I like platformers and loved the old Rayman games. I don't know what's wrong I just can't get myself to care about origins as I play.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#234 pinkgun

pinkgun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Just an FYI, I just got Payday for $7.50 on amazon and got a free $10 promotion towards a video game .. effectively getting the game for free and getting a free $2.50 credit. The way they list it (http://www.amazon.co...30929303&sr=8-4)..

Mass Effect 3 is now available to pre-load in preparation for the 12:01AM PST release on March 6, 2012. Plus, buy today and get a $10 Amazon.com Video Games credit and an M55 Argus Assault Rifle. Check out "Mass Effect 3 Standard Edition", or grab the "Digital Deluxe Edition", which includes the "From Ashes" DLC. Learn more.

So you do have to call them and manually have them add the credit but it worked for me and a friend. Can't be free that's for sure. I guess results may vary but I can't see them making too much of a fuss as it's obviously a mistake on their end because it does look like it should have to apply to Mass Effect 3 only.

Thank you for telling me $10 promotion :)

#235 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

You and your friend lucked out with some clueless amazon CS reps. lol... that ad is clearly marked as advertising ME3 and the $10 bonus you get when you pre order ME3. It shows up on EVERY page for Amazon Digital Download Games and in no way reads that you get a $10 credit for ordering Payday or any other game.

#236 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

You and your friend lucked out with some clueless amazon CS reps. lol... that ad is clearly marked as advertising ME3 and the $10 bonus you get when you pre order ME3. It shows up on EVERY page for Amazon Digital Download Games and in no way reads that you get a $10 credit for ordering Payday or any other game.

This. Don't rely on an Amazon goof-up that you have to call in for.

#237 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'm on the fence about Recettear.

Angel CAG on left shoulder - "it looks like it's been on a sale a few times in the past, it'll probably be cheap again if you can hold out, you're not going to play it yet anyway..."

Devil CAG on right shoulder - "BUY THE GODDAMN GAME AND FEED YOUR BACKLOG!!!1!"

Weirdly, that 4chan image above actually moved me towards the game, not away from it. What's wrong with me? :shock:

#238 evantrees

evantrees

rejection and peace tiramisu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

just try the demo then. picked it up a while ago steal haven't got around to playing it myself.

#239 Cybolt

Cybolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm on the fence about Recettear.

Angel CAG on left shoulder - "it looks like it's been on a sale a few times in the past, it'll probably be cheap again if you can hold out, you're not going to play it yet anyway..."

Devil CAG on right shoulder - "BUY THE GODDAMN GAME AND FEED YOUR BACKLOG!!!1!"

Weirdly, that 4chan image above actually moved me towards the game, not away from it. What's wrong with me? :shock:

I think that was the image's intended purpose though quite a few people are put off by it. I personally think that it was funny, albeit crass, but it does convey the creator's thoughts and feelings on the game, which not everyone may agree with.

#240 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think that was the image's intended purpose though quite a few people are put off by it. I personally think that it was funny, albeit crass, but it does convey the creator's thoughts and feelings on the game, which not everyone may agree with.

Well put :)

I bit on it and left it as a gift in my inventory. I decided that I'll only spend the next eight hours of the working day mulling over whether I should or shouldn't buy the damn thing. My willpower is woeful :lol: