Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#241 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm on the fence about Recettear.

Angel CAG on left shoulder - "it looks like it's been on a sale a few times in the past, it'll probably be cheap again if you can hold out, you're not going to play it yet anyway..."

Devil CAG on right shoulder - "BUY THE GODDAMN GAME AND FEED YOUR BACKLOG!!!1!"

Weirdly, that 4chan image above actually moved me towards the game, not away from it. What's wrong with me? :shock:

If it helps at all, I find it easier to grab games on deal of the day than on the summer/winter sales. With those I'm looking at like 20 other games and having to make choices and cut some out because I don't have unlimited funds, even at 75% off. Also, I find that more obscure games like this tend to get lost in all the big sale hoopla.

Of course they probably get lost in the backlogs of most people who do buy them anyway. :-P

#242 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

If it helps at all, I find it easier to grab games on deal of the day than on the summer/winter sales. With those I'm looking at like 20 other games and having to make choices and cut some out because I don't have unlimited funds, even at 75% off. Also, I find that more obscure games like this tend to get lost in all the big sale hoopla.

Of course they probably get lost in the backlogs of most people who do buy them anyway. :-P

A good call :)

Even if I'm not that bothered about anything in particular, I still religiously check the daily deal every day (and indeed midweek/weekend madness) just to see what it pops up with. It's like [insert dependency drug with horrid side effects here] without the horrid side effects.

Having checked my transaction history, this is only the second game I've bought through Steam in 2012. Everything else has been bundles or CAG trades.

#243 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

By the way, I noticed in the latest trailer for Jet Set Radio (Known as Jet Grind Radio on the US Dreamcast.) has a PC logo at the end. I know anyone following this development probably expected a PC port on Steam, but this certainly confirms it a bit more.

Trailer

I have to say, though, SEGA needs to speed things up and get Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia onto the PC.

#244 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

By the way, I noticed in the latest trailer for Jet Set Radio (Known as Jet Grind Radio on the US Dreamcast.) has a PC logo at the end. I know anyone following this development probably expected a PC port on Steam, but this certainly confirms it a bit more.

Rock Paper Shotgun reported last week that there was going to be a PC port.
Posted Image

#245 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

RockPaperShotgun ran an article that confirmed that it's coming to PC in the summer. Hoorah for cel-shaded fab-soundtracked grindy-goodness!

Source: hhttp://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/28/get-set-for-jet-set-radio-pc/

#246 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

The main thing I'm worried about with that port is if they don't pay to license the music, about half of which was from outside artists. Jet Set Radio without Guitar Vader just isn't Jet Set Radio, and we all know what happened to Crazy Taxi...

#247 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yeah I'm worried about the licensing issues as well but it is PC so we can always add things back in.8-)
sudo mklove

#248 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Daily Deal is Gish for $2.49.

I swear I think Valve purposely puts indie bundle games on sale so they don't have to do real sales.

#249 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'd love to see how many copies of Gish that they're gonna sell. It's already been in a couple of bundles and a hell of a lot of people already own it. People were giving Gish keys away to anyone who'd take them.

#250 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm not very fastidious about indie games but Gish does nothing for me. I strongly dislike it.

If you're that one person interested in buying Gish then go find someone with an extra key to trade instead of dropping $2.50.

MARS

#251 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I gave Gish a chance about a year back. After 3 hours all I can say is, "fuck that game." It's a difficult game and using an archaic "lives" system that sends you back to the beginning when they're all gone (I don't recall where, but it was a significant ways back) really steamed my broccoli.

#252 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I gave Gish a chance about a year back. After 3 hours all I can say is, "fuck that game." It's a difficult game and using an archaic "lives" system that sends you back to the beginning when they're all gone (I don't recall where, but it was a significant ways back) really steamed my broccoli.

I had pretty much exactly the same reaction, and it's rare I don't plow through a game (that isn't somehow broken).
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#253 Bacon Parade

Bacon Parade

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

The mention of Jet Set Radio caused me to listen to the soundtrack for the game again, having a nostalgia rush now.

Tiger_Driver.png

Spoiler

#254 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Free Gish Steam key for a fellow cheap-ass: H3C8A-2EA8F-2IICL

MARS

#255 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

I've spent the last four hours playing Recettear.

Where did my evening go?

#256 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I've spent the last four hours playing Recettear.

Where did my evening go?

Recettear is very addictive. I've sunk at least 15 hours into the game. Not a huge fan of the requirement to play through it multiple times to "beat" it, but the premise is still entertaining for a while.

#257 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Free Gish Steam key for a fellow cheap-ass: H3C8A-2EA8F-2IICL

Someone claimed it without announcing it. Thanks, lurkers. But more importantly, thanks for giving the code.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#258 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Recettear making you reloop for everyone but Charme's true cards is silly. Playing the game that many times isn't worth it, and playing as anyone but Charme isn't worth it.

Shame the dungeons and the whole "getting Charme to buy my good gear" aspect weren't worth it. The post game true end would have been entertaining.

Here are some Reccetear tips:
1. Ignore the fairy. The ONLY way to win Reccetear is to offer 105-107%. Don't haggle. Make sales on the first pitch to keep a combo going. Combos going along will get you massive XP bonuses, as will guessing the customer's ideal price (Usually in that range.). Perfect pitches will also level up the customer (A heart will appear), allowing them to carry more cash. Recette leveling up means the store will carry higher tier weapons. This means pricier inventory, bigger profits, better gear to offload to adventurers. Don't EVER haggle.
2. Questing is worthless. A day of selling will always beat a day of dungeoneering. You can dungeoneer in the post game. That said, it is nice to do enough dungeoneering to get some more characters to show up in your shop so you can heart them up through sales.
3. The final dungeon is unlocked post game if you have beaten Griff's dungeon. Griff only shows up if you have beaten the dungeons before that, et al. The final dungeon has a true final boss and I THINK tells a bit of the story behind Alouette's company and her fairy.
4. Alouette is the best rival EVER. She has saved my bacon many times. She loves showy spending and will tend to buy way over.
5. The Con Woman Bitch is the chief asshole combo breaker. You won't be able to buy your combo unless you pay her 500% markup. She has rare stuff though if you are being a collector.
6. You should never have to play item fusion to beat the game so toss those slimes.
7. Always have one of each type of item for those requests
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#259 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Free Choplifter HD with IGN Prime trials. Go get you some.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#260 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

Free Choplifter HD with IGN Prime trials. Go get you some.

Can you even get a free trial right now? I see no option, and the glitch that let me have free Prime isn't working for Choplifter HD.

#261 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

Can you even get a free trial right now? I see no option, and the glitch that let me have free Prime isn't working for Choplifter HD.

Now that you mention it, I don't see a trial option anymore either. I guess they finally got wise. So revise my earlier statement to "Free Choplifter HD if you have IGN Prime."

logo.png

#262 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Now that you mention it, I don't see a trial option anymore either. I guess they finally got wise. So revise my earlier statement to "Free Choplifter HD if you have IGN Prime."

The $2.50 a month for a year has me tempted though. They have had some good stuff over the last 6 months.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#263 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

Apparently, this week there will be a new free game every day (total of 5) for IGN Prime members as a GDC promotion. I guess that might be worth someone's $30 for the year along with the free games each month the rest of the way.

logo.png

#264 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

Apparently, this week there will be a new free game every day (total of 5) for IGN Prime members as a GDC promotion. I guess that might be worth someone's $30 for the year along with the free games each month the rest of the way.

Exactly but they have had better deals in the past like free bf3 with 2 year sign up.

23480.png

#265 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

Or $15 for the quarter. I'm super interested in Qube, but I either own or don't care for the other games. Looks like I'll be waiting for a Steam sale.

#266 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

What's interesting is Wednesday's game. No Time to Explain.

That game has -not- been released on Steam yet. I wanted to ask at the dev's forums if we're getting a Steam key, but man, that place has more spam than a nuclear bunker. I'm thinking of biting on the $15 just to get it and QUBE.

So does IGN Prime always give you Steam keys? I got Rochard from the trial last month but I feel bad about it so I figure giving them $15 wouldn't be that bad.

foxhack.jpg

#267 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

That game has -not- been released on Steam yet. I wanted to ask at the dev's forums if we're getting a Steam key, but man, that place has more spam than a nuclear bunker. I'm thinking of biting on the $15 just to get it and QUBE.

So does IGN Prime always give you Steam keys? I got Rochard from the trial last month but I feel bad about it so I figure giving them $15 wouldn't be that bad.

So far, at least from what I've seen, they've included Steam keys for all of the full indie games. However, that doesn't mean they always will. It could always be a sneak release onto Steam for this Wednesday's game, but who knows. Their dev blog does say they submitted it to Steam in January, so that could be the case.

logo.png

#268 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Well according to the developer's blog he submitted it to Steam in mid January, they turned it down and said "move forward and get the game out there, if it takes off then that will get our interest".

http://tinybuildgame...-funny#more-386

Of course the could have change their minds in the past couple of months, who knows?

#269 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

Well there's already been games that were released via Steam keys before they were officially released for sale there. Scoregasm, Really Big Sky, and the first three Blackwell games come to mind. So there's precedent.

But those were charity bundles, so...

foxhack.jpg

#270 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

I caved and bought a year for 30. Hope they get their act together and I don't regret it.

23480.png