Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#2761 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I was just coming to get impressions on this. Anybody think it will end up cheaper? Is it worth it? What about the DLC?

Looks kinda cool....its 9.99 on Steam and has been down to 5.00 there....I would imagine it will be cheaper eventually

#2762 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

I was just coming to get impressions on this. Anybody think it will end up cheaper? Is it worth it? What about the DLC?

The game is pretty fun especially for $5, but no one really playing it online which kills some of the fun.

No idea about the DLC though.

#2763 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Looks kinda cool....its 9.99 on Steam and has been down to 5.00 there....I would imagine it will be cheaper eventually

Steamgamesales is reporting it's lowest price as "$3.99 USD at Get Games (1 hour ago)" but it's current is $4.99 at Get Games, looks like we missed a window of opportunity.

I'm tempted to buy it just to play it in 3D, reminds me of Crimson Skies on xbox and that was pretty fun for the $2.99 I paid for it. :D

#2764 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

Anyone else get an error when trying to activate your key? I already own the game so I gave it to a friend. He reported back to me that the key was already used.

Nope, sold my key for $1.00 and the CAG didn't report any errors while activating it.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#2765 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

WAIT. shouldn't you be paying attention to the game? coach is going to get mad if he catches you talking about DRM on CAG during a must-win playoff game. :bouncy:

Its okay the Mavs suck anyway....

#2766 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

Okay, I'm butthurt. I usually just blindly trust things off steam but I just bought batman:AC and this is nonsense.

The used serial number can be activated 10 times in total on this PC.
The used serial number has already been activated 1 times on this PC.

wtf is this? I only have a 500 gig HD so I'm always deleting and re-installing games. I feel like I don't even own this game now. Steam needs to stop letting these publishers push this garbage on paying customers. For $15 I'm not too upset but if I paid full price for a game and saw this i'd be up in arms. I guess it's my fault for not reading the steam page or doing my HW but this is why most gamers prefer physical media. Sick of this GFWL, securom, etc DRM politics. I'm not really one to complain about DRM and I love steam but now I see what gets gamers so worked up over this.

If you're talking about the Securom DRM on Arkham City you can deactivate it whenever you want through the Securom Diagnostic Tool and get back your activation. I don't recall it telling me there were 10 per PC, I thought it was 5 installs across 5 PCs so maybe that limit is in addition to the Securom? I've activated and deactivated it twice, still have my 5 activations available and if you run out they claim they will work with you to get more.

#2767 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

If you're talking about the Securom DRM on Arkham City you can deactivate it whenever you want through the Securom Diagnostic Tool and get back your activation. I don't recall it telling me there were 10 per PC, I thought it was 5 installs across 5 PCs so maybe that limit is in addition to the Securom? I've activated and deactivated it twice, still have my 5 activations available and if you run out they claim they will work with you to get more.

Where do you find that? I'm not seeing it on my Steam Tools list.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#2768 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

You have to download that tool from Securom's website. It then scans your PC for Securom-related files or you can tell it where to scan for em. Then once it finds the game you want you can highlight it and go up to one of the menus at the top, there should be an option to deauthorize or deactivate at the bottom of one of the menus. This option isn't available for all games but it is for Arkham City and a few others that I own. I think Arkham Asylum GOTY is another one that worked. I just went through and deactivated all my games the other day in preparation for a Windows reinstall. I kind of like the Solidshield DRM best cause it has an easy deactivation option in Windows Start menu, easier than using the Securom tool.

#2769 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:19 AM

I would disagree with you on that point. I now prefer to have my games on Steam instead of managing physical discs. The convenience of the download, autopatching, cloud saves, etc is a huge upside for me, personally.

Mmm - good point. I'm a digital convert, too. Steam offers a lot of perks.

I was referring to the DRM aspect of Steam, though. The part where you a) have to be running Steam to play your game, b) You can only be logged in on one machine at a time, c) You can't install a game you buy on Steam without using the Steam client, d) your purchases are forever tied to one account, so you can't turn your game license over to a friend: no resales, no loaning, etc.

I agree that it's the least-onerous of the DRM out there, and it's offset by library tools, patch management, friends list matchmaking, and of course great sales.

#2770 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Mmm - good point. I'm a digital convert, too. Steam offers a lot of perks.

I was referring to the DRM aspect of Steam, though. The part where you a) have to be running Steam to play your game, b) You can only be logged in on one machine at a time, c) You can't install a game you buy on Steam without using the Steam client, d) your purchases are forever tied to one account, so you can't turn your game license over to a friend: no resales, no loaning, etc.

I only see your option D as a negative. A and C aren't really problems unless you're looking for problems, and I can imagine B being an issue if you're trying to play games on two PCs at once, which I personally don't do but maybe others do. I prefer digital download for PC games, the inability to resell does suck but this is the same thing with hard copies of PC games so it's not really a download-specific issue.

#2771 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm not fan of DRM, but 10 installs per computer seems more than generous. I realize that it's the principle of the matter, but if you're really un/installing a game that many times over the lifespan of a PC, you are such a fringe case.

#2772 TestType

TestType

model fetishist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm not fan of DRM, but 10 installs per computer seems more than generous. I realize that it's the principle of the matter, but if you're really un/installing a game that many times over the lifespan of a PC, you are such a fringe case.

If only it were that simple. For some DRM simply changing one component in your machine turns it into a new computer as far as the DRM is concerned. That's one activation gone forever unless you make sure you run all the applicable deactivation tools every time you want to do any changes to your machine. Those activations can go quick that way in the "lifespan" of a PC as you word it, but then to what extent you can call a machine the same PC is very arbitrary.

Other DRM schemes, like non-SSA versions of GFWL have activation limits that cannot be deactivated and have a one-time only reset, after that you will have to purchase a new game/license. And if you live in a non-GFWL supported country like me, you don't even get that activation reset.
Posted Image

#2773 Bacon Parade

Bacon Parade

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

If only it were that simple. For some DRM simply changing one component in your machine turns it into a new computer as far as the DRM is concerned. That's one activation gone forever unless you make sure you run all the applicable deactivation tools every time you want to do any changes to your machine. Those activations can go quick that way in the "lifespan" of a PC as you word it, but then to what extent you can call a machine the same PC is very arbitrary.

Other DRM schemes, like non-SSA versions of GFWL have activation limits that cannot be deactivated and have a one-time only reset, after that you will have to purchase a new game/license. And if you live in a non-GFWL supported country like me, you don't even get that activation reset.

What specific components are you talking about?

#2774 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

What specific components are you talking about?

He's talking about switching out a GPU, CPU, ram, motherboard, etc. I think those are the main components that would trigger a new activation. Depends on the DRM though.

#2775 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I only see your option D as a negative. A and C aren't really problems unless you're looking for problems, and I can imagine B being an issue if you're trying to play games on two PCs at once, which I personally don't do but maybe others do. I prefer digital download for PC games, the inability to resell does suck but this is the same thing with hard copies of PC games so it's not really a download-specific issue.

No trading/reselling of license is the biggest problem for sure. But it's only the same thing with hard copies in the last few years. Again, Rights Management (non-Digital, this time) rears it's ugly head, in the form of game registration.

With regard to A & C (being forced to use the Seam client) - I don't think it's looking for trouble to want to play a game without a client. What if you play on a laptop, but you are are in a location with a firewall that blocks the Steam client? You're out of luck. No game for you, but you certainly haven't violated any Terms of Service. Compare to a game purchased at GOG or in the Humble Bundle - just download, install, and play. For this reason, I frequently buy casual games through GamersGate or another not-Steam option.

As for B - trying to play on two computers at once - I don't mean multiplayer games like Civilization or Modern Warfare... two people trying to use one license simultaneously for these games is a ridiculous expectation in 2012, sure. But if I buy* a copy of Bejeweled on a CD, the license expressly states that I can install it on more than one computer that I own, and nothing would prevent two people in my family from playing at the same time (we have 3 computers). They clearly anticipate this sort of use. But if I purchase* the same game from Steam, this can't happen. A little rude.

I'm splitting hairs over the lightest of DRM, but the rationalizing that you're doing about what's acceptable in DRM is exactly my point from 2-3 posts up, that we all are have our breaking points about what nuisances we'll accept in the name of just playing the game.

* I use the term "buy" and "purchase" because they're convenient. At no time, going back to the beginning of video gaming, have game purchases ever conveyed ownership. When you buy a game from Steam, or from a store, you're not buying the game. You're buying a license to play the game. People who complain about restrictive DRM always seem to get this wrong. I don't mean you, or anyone here, or this discussion... but the pro-piracy group always has that lame "If I bought it, I should be able to use it however I want!" argument.

#2776 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I prefer digital download for PC games, the inability to resell does suck but this is the same thing with hard copies of PC games so it's not really a download-specific issue.

I always thought of reselling as more of a console thing. Even in the days before DD I don't think it was generally a big thing with PC games. I mean I guess there was always eBay but I don't recall Gamestop or those guys buying much in the way of PC games

No trading/reselling of license is the biggest problem for sure. But it's only the same thing with hard copies in the last few years. Again, Rights Management (non-Digital, this time) rears it's ugly head, in the form of game registration.

That's the thing exactly, it's not just Steam. Even if you go outside of Steam most current PC games require some sort of online activation whether it be GFWL or EA or some other one. Even smaller companies like Kalypso are doing their own online activation.

The gaming companies have made it clear that they feel used items eat into their sales and it's something they are looking to eliminate or at least minimize. I don't think the lack of ability to resell is anything specific to Steam, it's the nature of the PC gaming industry itself these days.

I know Greenmangaming has some sort of digital 'resell' program but that seems odd to me to say the least.

Even if you get some DD DRM free then how would you resell that exactly? Put it on a disk? So if I buy someone's home made burned disc with The Witcher 2 on it how would I know they got it from GOG vs getting it from a torrent? I wouldn't unless they showed me a receipt.

It's the same thing with a couple of digital movies I 'bought' from Amazon or Vudu. I know I can't ever resell them and I'm fine with that. It's just a by product of going digital and a trade off but you do get some conveniences in return. Trust me I just moved and gathering and hauling all the DVDs and Blu-rays was a pain while moving my 400+ Steam games was as easy as moving my PC.

I know a lot of console gamers in particular have used flipping as a means to get a lot of games without spending a lot but I am pretty sure Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are going to put the kibbosh on that at some future date. Besides, I scroll through the deals here and most of the time our Steam deals are way better than theirs for the same titles and the DD PC versions tend to go down in price much faster. We can't flip but we have better sales so I feel like it evens out more or less.

#2777 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

If the tradeoff is that I don't have to pay as much, it is something I can live with. Ownership in the digital age is something that is becoming more murky, and I don't know if we can expect to have the same rights we did before.

With regard to A & C (being forced to use the Seam client) - I don't think it's looking for trouble to want to play a game without a client. What if you play on a laptop, but you are are in a location with a firewall that blocks the Steam client? You're out of luck. No game for you, but you certainly haven't violated any Terms of Service. Compare to a game purchased at GOG or in the Humble Bundle - just download, install, and play. For this reason, I frequently buy casual games through GamersGate or another not-Steam option.

Steam does have an offline mode, but I've heard varying reports about how well it works. Others can speak to that.

As for B - trying to play on two computers at once - I don't mean multiplayer games like Civilization or Modern Warfare... two people trying to use one license simultaneously for these games is a ridiculous expectation in 2012, sure. But if I buy* a copy of Bejeweled on a CD, the license expressly states that I can install it on more than one computer that I own, and nothing would prevent two people in my family from playing at the same time (we have 3 computers). They clearly anticipate this sort of use. But if I purchase* the same game from Steam, this can't happen. A little rude.

A solid point, tho some multiplayer games offer multiple keys with a purchase.

I'm splitting hairs over the lightest of DRM, but the rationalizing that you're doing about what's acceptable in DRM is exactly my point from 2-3 posts up, that we all are have our breaking points about what nuisances we'll accept in the name of just playing the game.

Understood, tho Steam is hardly a nuisance for most people. If you feel it is, there are other services (GOG, Desura) that may more fit in with your needs.
Posted Image

#2778 TestType

TestType

model fetishist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

He's talking about switching out a GPU, CPU, ram, motherboard, etc. I think those are the main components that would trigger a new activation. Depends on the DRM though.

Exactly.

Just a heads up that Aliens vs. Predator (2010) is the daily deal in the Sega week at gamersgate.com at 75% off, that's $3.74 or $3.18 with IGN discount.
Posted Image

#2779 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Steam does have an offline mode, but I've heard varying reports about how well it works. Others can speak to that.

I've used Steam in the offline mode recently due to having a temporary break in internet access because of a move and it worked fine.

There is a catch that you have to be online and connect to it once at least briefly to set the Steam client to offline mode so you either have to know in advance you won't have a connection and set it to offline mode ahead of time or you need to find some other means to connect (I used a phone tether) even if it's just momentarily in order to switch to the offline mode.

Once it is in offline mode though I have not had any problems with it.

Just a heads up that Aliens vs. Predator (2010) is the daily deal in the Sega week at gamersgate.com at 75% off, that's $3.74 or $3.18 with IGN discount.

Tony said it will also be going on sale soon on Amazon in case someone has credits there they want to use.

#2780 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I've used Steam in the offline mode recently due to having a temporary break in internet access because of a move and it worked fine.

There is a catch that you have to be online and connect to it once at least briefly to set the Steam client to offline mode so you either have to know in advance you won't have a connection and set it to offline mode ahead of time or you need to find some other means to connect (I used a phone tether) even if it's just momentarily in order to switch to the offline mode.

Once it is in offline mode though I have not had any problems with it.

Tony said it will also be going on sale soon on Amazon in case someone has credits there they want to use.

Actually, you don't need to be online at all to set Steam to offline mode. I've been able to use Steam offline without having to connect online first with no problems, but there are people that have issues doing it.

#2781 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

I always thought of reselling as more of a console thing. Even in the days before DD I don't think it was generally a big thing with PC games. I mean I guess there was always eBay but I don't recall Gamestop or those guys buying much in the way of PC games

Many years ago Gamestop did used to have a pretty good selection of used PC games. Most games just had disc-checks, cd keys, or some sort of input required by reading the accompanying manual.

Once online activation started becoming more of the norm they, understandably, stopped selling them.

#2782 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Actually, you don't need to be online at all to set Steam to offline mode. I've been able to use Steam offline without having to connect online first with no problems, but there are people that have issues doing it.

Oh okay that is good to know. I could swear it wouldn't let me log in until I got a connection with my phone tether but I will have to try it again some time.

#2783 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Oh okay that is good to know. I could swear it wouldn't let me log in until I got a connection with my phone tether but I will have to try it again some time.

There are some problems that have been mentioned on SPUF that prevent you from enabling offline mode without being online, but they can be fixed. There's a thread on SPUF about it if you wanna check it out.

#2784 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I was on a plane one time and tried to start up Steam in offline mode and it wouldnt let me. If theres some sort of work around, Id love to see it.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#2785 Bilbo1

Bilbo1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, I was on a plane one time and tried to start up Steam in offline mode and it wouldnt let me. If theres some sort of work around, Id love to see it.

this is what i am getting when i try to run steam with no internet connection

Posted Image

isn't it the same for everyone?

#2786 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Works for me. Have you run the game before and do you have it set to auto log you into Steam?

#2787 Pheace

Pheace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

this is what i am getting when i try to run steam with no internet connection

Posted Image

isn't it the same for everyone?

Things that can mess up Steam offline:

Not saving your account credentials on startup (make sure 'Don't save credentials on this computer' is off in the settings as well)

Letting Steam get shut down by Windows when shutting it down. It can mess up the Steam shutoff, after which it will want to go online to fix it. You can manually exit steam before shutting off your computer to prevent this.

If you're behind a router, and have no internet there's a chance Steam won't allow you into offline mode because it does see a network of some sort. A workaround there would be unplugging your cable or turning off the router. (may need reboot)

It's certainly possible to get into offline mode when your internet is offline, but as mentioned above, there are problems which can prevent it and if the problem is there, then yes you may need internet to get it fixed.

For instance, I can be logged in, unplug the cable, and get into offline mode fine. I can exit steam, shut off my computer, unplug my cable, start computer, start steam, and still go into offline mode (wasn't before shutting down).

So you're not forced to be online to go into offline mode, however sadly it's very prone to something messing up allowing you to do so.

If you take care you could be just fine when you need it though.

#2788 stopEntei

stopEntei

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

If only the Vita could get all these games ported, stuff like this wouldn't even matter. I absolutely HATE DRM (and consequently, Steam), but it's the most convenient thing out there and it seems it will remain like that for a long time.

#2789 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

The Daily Deal is Chime, and I think $1.25 is a great price. It's got great music (although it's only 6 songs) and hopefully the devs're still sending on their proceeds to charity.

I'll be damned if I can get that last achievement though.

Edited by dfg, 06 May 2012 - 01:50 AM.
derp

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2790 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

The Daily Deal is Chime, and think $1.25 is a great price.

I'd love to see more $1 games on Steam. That's an automatic buy.

MARS