Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#2911 DelicateWatkins

DelicateWatkins

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

I've only recently gotten into PC gaming, lured into getting a nice rig in no small part due to ridiculous Steam deals. Looking forward to this summer sale I keep hearing so much about, but I'm curious as to how they typically work. Is it like a ton of stuff on sale for the duration, or is it a bunch of smaller timed sales? I need to know how to prepare for this. :)

#2912 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

Looking forward to this summer sale I keep hearing so much about, but I'm curious as to how they typically work. Is it like a ton of stuff on sale for the duration, or is it a bunch of smaller timed sales? I need to know how to prepare for this. :)

If it's like the other seasonal sales, entire developers' catalogs (THQ, EA, etc.), save for perhaps a couple of brand new games, will be on sale for the entire week. Then every day will have several special sales each. Don't think there's usually any sales that last less than 24 hours.

Edit: They also often have some kind of promotions, where you can earn some free dlc and/or games.

Edit 2: See http://savygamer.co....am-summer-sale/ for a list of all the games that were on sale last year (daily specials at the bottom).

#2913 xXJonoXx

xXJonoXx

Resident Che(vil)ap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

I've only recently gotten into PC gaming, lured into getting a nice rig in no small part due to ridiculous Steam deals. Looking forward to this summer sale I keep hearing so much about, but I'm curious as to how they typically work. Is it like a ton of stuff on sale for the duration, or is it a bunch of smaller timed sales? I need to know how to prepare for this. :)

Usually a whole bunch of things on sale for the duration of the sale, usually like 30-50% off for these items. These are on sale for the same price the whole time.

There's also daily deals, that are usually a higher discount, usually 75%, but can go up to 90% off rarely. New deals every 24 hours, every day of the sale. Usually about 6-9 games a day. Higher discount only lasts for that day. Usually lasts about 10 days. On the final day, there will be a "recap" day that will repeat sales from the previous days, the most popular ones. A lot of use of the word "usually" because it has almost always changed every steam sale as the number of things per sale/day.

Posted Image Posted Image

My 2011 Game of the Year - Batman: Arkham City
My Most Underrated Game of 2011 - Driver: San Francisco

#2914 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

If it's like the other seasonal sales, entire developers' catalogs (THQ, EA, etc.), save for perhaps a couple of brand new games, will be on sale for the entire week. Then every day will have several special sales each. Don't think there's usually any sales that last less than 24 hours.

Edit: They also often have some kind of promotions, where you can earn some free dlc and/or games.

This is all good information. Because everything is basically on sale for a week with specific daily sales, you shouldn't buy anything until the last day until it is one of those daily sales. For example, Dead Space 2 could be 50% off all week, but on the fourth day it will be a daily sale at 75% off. Waiting until the end will ensure you don't miss the lowest price.

#2915 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

Just follow the guide linked in my sig, and you'll be good.

#2916 DelicateWatkins

DelicateWatkins

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Edit 2: See http://savygamer.co....am-summer-sale/ for a list of all the games that were on sale last year (daily specials at the bottom).

So I'm looking at that list and it seems like the only real preparation guide is

1)Rob Bank
2)Go to Vegas, bet it all on black, win
3)Increase backlog!

I mean...wow. That is a crazy list. I have primarily been an Xbox 360 gamer for the past few years, so coming off of having maybe one thing I want go on sale every month, this is a lot to wrap my brain around.

Thanks for the info everybody, now I'm looking forward to it even more! Also, dreading it slightly.

#2917 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

The whole store is pretty much on sale and by whole store I mean just about every fucking game you could want. Plus there are usually I think 9 or 12 games on sale every day as dailies.

So what you do is you figure out before the sale starts what games you want. Or day one of the sale after you see what the non daily sale prices are. You then wait till either A) The game hits a daily deal or B) The last day of the sale to purchase it.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2918 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

So I'm looking at that list and it seems like the only real preparation guide is

1)Rob Bank
2)Go to Vegas, bet it all on black, win
3)Increase backlog!

I mean...wow. That is a crazy list. I have primarily been an Xbox 360 gamer for the past few years, so coming off of having maybe one thing I want go on sale every month, this is a lot to wrap my brain around.

Thanks for the info everybody, now I'm looking forward to it even more! Also, dreading it slightly.

When you consider that you can get most games for $5 or under if you wait, the switch to PC gaming will pay you back many times over. Well, except for the fact that you'll constantly be buying games because they're at prices so low, you'll feel you have to buy them :lol:

#2919 Nintendokid54

Nintendokid54

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

Anyone wanna go on a two pack for portal 2? In two hours if no one responds i'll probably just buy the single pack...

76561198020429748.png

#2920 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Anyone wanna go on a two pack for portal 2? In two hours if no one responds i'll probably just buy the single pack...

Steam Group Buy and Gift Requests thread
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2921 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

Well, except for the fact that you'll constantly be buying games because they're at prices so low, you'll feel you have to buy them :lol:

QFT. 172 games on Steam I own. Only 43 that I've played for more than an hour. On the bright side, I just checked my billing history, and I've averaged less than $3 a game (and I have several AAA titles), so I don't feel that horribly.

Also on the bright side, with this big of a backlog, I can easily say no to things like today's $15 Alan Wake -- while a good deal for a good game, I know I wouldn't play it anytime soon.

#2922 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

QFT. 172 games on Steam I own. Only 43 that I've played for more than an hour. On the bright side, I just checked my billing history, and I've averaged less than $3 a game (and I have several AAA titles), so I don't feel that horribly.

Also on the bright side, with this big of a backlog, I can easily say no to things like today's $15 Alan Wake -- while a good deal for a good game, I know I wouldn't play it anytime soon.

Yeah, once you build up that backlog, anything over $5 starts to feel like too much for a single game. As long as I keep my overall average in that $3-4 range, I feel ok adding stuff I'm interested in to my backlog. But that also means I can keep waiting for newer games to drop down to my price point since I have lots of stuff to try out.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#2923 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, once you build up that backlog, anything over $5 starts to feel like too much for a single game. As long as I keep my overall average in that $3-4 range, I feel ok adding stuff I'm interested in to my backlog. But that also means I can keep waiting for newer games to drop down to my price point since I have lots of stuff to try out.

Ayup. It's all about reaching that saturation point.

My library didn't feel "big enough" until I got myself a publisher pack in the winter sale. Once I did, and 20 games suddenly appeared, the will to buy any new games simply to add them to my backlog just evaporated.

Apart from good bundles, I'm only buying stuff that I'll actually play these days. Case in point, Legend of Grimrock.

#2924 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm pretty good about waiting for sub-$7 prices for most things, but if a game falls strongly on my interest target then I try to stick to a sweet spot between playing it while it's relevant and jumping on the first really good price break.

Alan Wake has been on my radar since it was released and though it will probably see a $10 price point before Q4 this year, I'm fairly certain the enjoyment factor per $ will be high enough for me to offset the anguish I'll feel when I see it for sale cheaper later on. To be certain, I'm going to start playing it immediately. There's nothing worse than seeing a game drop in price before you've even installed it.

#2925 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

When you consider that you can get most games for $5 or under if you wait, the switch to PC gaming will pay you back many times over. Well, except for the fact that you'll constantly be buying games because they're at prices so low, you'll feel you have to buy them :lol:

Eh.

It's a bit evened out for me. No physical copy and I have to use Steam DRM. Not only that but a lot of the games used during the sales aren't really "OMG you have to play this" I'm sure they're good like people say, but they aren't really games that NEED to be played. Like some games most people would say "need" to be played are Shadow of the Colossus and Half Life, Doom, Civ V, etc. to get all your greatest in genre covered.

Now if GOG had Steam prices on games, I would totally buy over half the shit that goes on sales for $5 or less on steam.

Posted Image

#2926 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Eh.

It's a bit evened out for me. No physical copy and I have to use Steam DRM. Not only that but a lot of the games used during the sales aren't really "OMG you have to play this" I'm sure they're good like people say, but they aren't really games that NEED to be played. Like some games most people would say "need" to be played are Shadow of the Colossus and Half Life, Doom, Civ V, etc. to get all your greatest in genre covered.

To be honest no game NEEDS to be played and I am sure there are those out that disliked Shadow of the Colossus and certainly wouldn't say it needs to. While the games on Steam may seem to you not be to the degree of these other NEED to be played games for others they may be to the same degree. There are plenty of really great games and while sure A LOT of the games on steam are not up to that quality that can also be said of any console's library or anything, but the difference here is that nearly everything goes on sale, even the gems.

Also saying this "OMG you have to play this" = NEED. Dispute all you want, but that is the case. It only became a NEED because people started saying it NEEDS to be played. If they never did or you never thought it then it doesn't NEED to be played. For example I would imagine, most likely those that never played or find it incredibly boring, most people would not consider Viva Pinata a NEED to play game. I do, so for me it is a NEED to play, but for others not so much. There is absolutely no difference between that and someone saying "OMG you have to play this" beyond the fact that there is the word HAVE instead of NEED.

I really should start writing papers with all emphasized words in all caps. It makes me cringe about as much as when I Used To Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word.

#2927 DelicateWatkins

DelicateWatkins

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Eh.

Now if GOG had Steam prices on games, I would totally buy over half the shit that goes on sales for $5 or less on steam.

Having physical copies of tons of games for every major console since the late 70's is honestly starting to cause me to lose interest in shelving things. Decent game storage is not cheap, and I'm only ever gonna have so many walls in my house. :) I already have over 60 games in my Steam library between indie bundles and sales, and I've only been doing this since March or so. I can't even imagine trying to find room for 60 more game cases in my house in that short a time span.

As to the Steam DRM, maybe it's because I'm kind of new to it but I don't see the problem some people have with this. Feels like saying "Eh...Xbox games....but then I'd have to have an Xbox to run them...". Steam is cheap, convenient, and keeps all my stuff in one place.

As far as "must play" games, just in the past couple weeks I've seen both Dead Space games, both Portal games, Alan Wake, and a handful of my other absolute favorite (and critical favorites as well as personal!) games from this generation at a fraction of the price I paid for them on Xbox. I'd say that's pretty good.

#2928 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

To be honest no game NEEDS to be played and I am sure there are those out that disliked Shadow of the Colossus and certainly wouldn't say it needs to. While the games on Steam may seem to you not be to the degree of these other NEED to be played games for others they may be to the same degree. There are plenty of really great games and while sure A LOT of the games on steam are not up to that quality that can also be said of any console's library or anything, but the difference here is that nearly everything goes on sale, even the gems.

Also saying this "OMG you have to play this" = NEED. Dispute all you want, but that is the case. It only became a NEED because people started saying it NEEDS to be played. If they never did or you never thought it then it doesn't NEED to be played. For example I would imagine, most likely those that never played or find it incredibly boring, most people would not consider Viva Pinata a NEED to play game. I do, so for me it is a NEED to play, but for others not so much. There is absolutely no difference between that and someone saying "OMG you have to play this" beyond the fact that there is the word HAVE instead of NEED.

I really should start writing papers with all emphasized words in all caps. It makes me cringe about as much as when I Used To Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word.

Ya I know it's on a person to person basis what they think all gamers "need" to play, but I'm talking about something the general gaming community would agree "needs" to be played. I'm pretty sure Shadow would fall into that category.

Having physical copies of tons of games for every major console since the late 70's is honestly starting to cause me to lose interest in shelving things. Decent game storage is not cheap, and I'm only ever gonna have so many walls in my house. :) I already have over 60 games in my Steam library between indie bundles and sales, and I've only been doing this since March or so. I can't even imagine trying to find room for 60 more game cases in my house in that short a time span.

As to the Steam DRM, maybe it's because I'm kind of new to it but I don't see the problem some people have with this. Feels like saying "Eh...Xbox games....but then I'd have to have an Xbox to run them...". Steam is cheap, convenient, and keeps all my stuff in one place.

As far as "must play" games, just in the past couple weeks I've seen both Dead Space games, both Portal games, Alan Wake, and a handful of my other absolute favorite (and critical favorites as well as personal!) games from this generation at a fraction of the price I paid for them on Xbox. I'd say that's pretty good.

Hell, I"m new to Steam too didn't get a gaming PC 'till February of this year and the problem I have is companies rise and fall and Gabe won't be the CEO of Valve forever. Maybe the new guy will make shitty-er restrictions on Steam.

The difference between needing an Xbox to run games and needing Steam is that if MS dies you can still get an Xbox 2nd hand. It's almost the same for PC games in that you can just pirate them if you don't feel like buying them again since you paid once already, but then there's the whole companies coming to sue your ass. Very rare, but still a risk. Pricing, ya I agree. They definitely get cheaper, but I don't mind paying $5 to $10 more for a physical copy.

Guess I'm old fashioned that way.

ON TOPIC: When does the summer sale start? I kinda hope they have that Valve Pack on sale again. I haven't played HL1 yet.

Posted Image

#2929 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hell, I"m new to Steam too didn't get a gaming PC 'till February of this year and the problem I have is companies rise and fall and Gabe won't be the CEO of Valve forever. Maybe the new guy will make shitty-er restrictions on Steam.

Well, unless you are archiving installations, that can happen with any digital storefront. If GOG suddenly goes down, if you don't happen to have it on your computer, that's it. For example, I used to be a big customer of Fictionwise (eBooks), until one of their providers pulled a lot of content. Now, there is stuff that is still listed on my account, but can't download anymore. If I hadn't downloaded it before, I was SOL.

I used to make a bigger deal about it in the early days of digital downloads (mostly when EA was doing limited downloads pre-Origin), but things are so cheap now that I don't really worry about it too much.
Posted Image

#2930 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

ON TOPIC: When does the summer sale start?

Last year's summer sale started during the final days of June.

#2931 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Just thought I'd mention for anyone who, like me, picked up Dead Space and is currently playing it with a 360 controller or perhaps any controller. The dead zones are pretty big in the game and I feel like I'm just nudging the view/aim around. It got me thinking about mouse emulation, like Joy2key or Xpadder, and since I'm already using Joy2key to just map L3 to take 3D screenshots I figured I'd give it a try. It works pretty flawlessly, I set the in-game mouse setting to 13 (13 notches from the left) and in Joy2key I have the mouse settings @ 100 and the dead zone @ 15%. Now the analog sticks actually feel "analog" and you can push a little for finer aiming instead of nudging. Hope this helps someone.

Also if anyone's playing it in 3d Vision there's a great patch for it and other games over at Helix Mod.

Edit: One other thing, I turned off vsync in-game and forced it in the nvidia control panel.

Edited by hollowfreak, 09 May 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#2932 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

I kinda want DeathSpank. The artwork is great. But I feel like I'm filling a Diablo 3 hole......when Diablo 3 is days away!
I might hold off for summer sale. Not really interested in the other games of the bundle.
Its funny that The Baconing has been down to 3.75$, but Deathspank has only ever been down to 7.50$. Note the publisher.

You only get ORIGIN? keys on this? NO F'ing way? Is this true?
http://www.dealspwn....ned-nice-101803

3rd-party DRM: One or more products in this package may use the 3rd party DRM EA Access.

Woo. They almost got me. Glad I was a bit wary.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 09 May 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#2933 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Daily Deal: Wolfenstein 3D: $1.24

Wow, talk about the lamest of deals. You can play it in your browser for free: http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/
Posted Image

#2934 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

You only get ORIGIN? keys on this? NO F'ing way? Is this true?
http://www.dealspwn....ned-nice-101803

Er... that's not true at all. Some of the games do require an Origin account (Gatling Gears and Warp) but none of the others do. You still get them applied to your Steam account and can download them and play them through Steam without any Origin involvement. Whoever wrote that article has no clue what they're talking about.

Anyway, the real reason to avoid buying Deathspank at this price is that they were permanently reduced to $10 about a month before this sale and EA jacked the price back up to $15 to make their 25% off discount look like a 50% off discount. I fully expect the base price of Deathspank to drop to the $10 it was before the sale when the sale is over.

Daily Deal: Wolfenstein 3D: $1.24

Wow, talk about the lamest of deals. You can play it in your browser for free: http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/

The deal also covers the other (good) Wolfenstein titles including Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny. The ID Super Pack is also 50% -- obviously it's been cheaper, though.

#2935 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

What's in the id pack?

#2936 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

This.

#2937 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein for $2.50 is tempting. Never got a chance to play it.

#2938 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein for $2.50 is tempting. Never got a chance to play it.

It's quite good. Probably one of the last pure quality FPS games ID made. Worth $2.50 for sure.

#2939 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just get the Wolf Pack for $3.75. It includes both Wolfensteins and Spear of Destiny.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#2940 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

If you own Garry's Mod you can get a beta key for Garry's Mod 13 here. About 12k left as of this post.