Gamersgate: D&D Anthology Master Collection (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) $6.78

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
145 (100%)
Just bought this for $6.78 if you were looking for something less than GOG.com

61cdyz2nxbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

probably will get this. I heard Modding/patching was different/difficult from GoG.com version. But the price is so good!

[quote name='francium34']probably will get this. I heard Modding/patching was different/difficult from GoG.com version. But the price is so good![/QUOTE]

They aren't generally. Infinity Engine games are pretty adaptable.

Neverwinter Nights pack last weekend, this pack this weekend. That's a lot of classic gaming on the cheap! Also, don't forget that you can get it for $5.76 if you've got the lifetime Gamersgate discount from the IGN Prime trials.

great deal! they also have baldur's gate 1 complete ($3.38 ) and bg2 complete ($3.38 ) if you're like me and already have everything in that pack except BG1

Only downside of this over say, GoG's sale is you have to download the entire collection at once, you can't choose which to to do.

[quote name='Corpekata']Only downside of this over say, GoG's sale is you have to download the entire collection at once, you can't choose which to to do.[/QUOTE]

Worth the trade off considering the cheapest these have ever (collectively) been on GOG is around $30ish.

[quote name='havuk']are these playable on steam?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean if you can use the Steam overlay? I'm not 100% sure but my hunch would be 'no' as the overlay tends not to work with (relatively) older games, e.g. Sacred, Gothic 1, Gothic 2, etc.

I was kicking myself for not buying it when it was 10 bucks at IGN (I think)

Anyway, picked it up. As a fan of RPGs who has never played any of these games, I can't wait to get started.

For modding purposes, is it better to go GoG or GamersGate? I'm only interested in BG1 and PS:T (played the others already, minus ToEE, which I hear is a pass) so literally a few dollars isn't a big factor in my decision right now if it gets rid of any extra modding headaches.

Might play BG2 again (+1 for backlog), never did get past the last end fight to beat the game a decade ago.

[quote name='BinaryTB']For modding purposes, is it better to go GoG or GamersGate? I'm only interested in BG1 and PS:T (played the others already, minus ToEE, which I hear is a pass) so literally a few dollars isn't a big factor in my decision right now if it gets rid of any extra modding headaches.

Might play BG2 again (+1 for backlog), never did get past the last end fight to beat the game a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

The Infinity Engine holds up well. GoG didn't have to do much of anything to get them going.

BG1 is not in the infinity engine (the only one) and so has a few hiccups, though the GoG version shares them. Since you're going to mod them anyway, I'd suggest using your BG2 you own to use TuTu or Trilogy which ports BG1 into the Infinity Engine, clearing up any issues it would have.

[quote name='Corpekata']Only downside of this over say, GoG's sale is you have to download the entire collection at once, you can't choose which to to do.[/QUOTE]

Exactly and the GoG version is cheaper (when on sale), DRM free and Win7 compatible :applause:

[quote name='agentghost']Exactly and the GoG version is cheaper (when on sale), DRM free and Win7 compatible :applause:[/QUOTE]

The GOG version is most definitely not cheaper when on sale. Cheapest they've had the D&D games individually (they don't sell them in packs) is 50% making the two Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dale's $5 each and PST $3ish. Here you get all of them for $7 total. And it's DRM according to Gamer's Gate.

[quote name='agentghost']Exactly and the GoG version is cheaper (when on sale), DRM free and Win7 compatible :applause:[/QUOTE]

No they're not. GoG has never even remotely entered the arena of 6 games for 6 dollars.

GoG is great, but their sales are mediocre at best, rarely getting below half off.

This set is DRM free, and the games by default are Win 7 working, not because of anything GoG did, or Gamersgate, but simply because the games have always been easy, painless games to work on modern systems.

So if I have the old disks from the late 90's, will they work in Windows 7? Or do I have to get some DOS program to get them to work?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So if I have the old disks from the late 90's, will they work in Windows 7? Or do I have to get some DOS program to get them to work?[/QUOTE]

They'll work. Main difference between the discs and the digital versions is that they removed the cd checks. Otherwise I haven't noticed much difference between them once you have the game installed.

I already have all these games, but I just wanted to jump in and say that this is one of the greatest deals I've seen in a long time. It seriously blows my mind. Just Baldur's Gate 2 and it's expansion can give you 200+ hours of quality of gaming. Easily worth $7 right there.
I have no idea why one poster said gog's games were cheaper when on sale. I've been visiting gog daily for years( which is where I got some of these games) and they have never been close to matching this price. This past week they had their sale where you could buy 2 of these games for $10, and get ToEE free, which is actually a really good deal. But that still would only get you half of what this collection offers, and for a higher price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that I waited for this too.

Can't wait to download this at home (and register to this website and whatever else I have to do - I don't think I want to try a gift card with no address info on it for this sale).

Just wanted to revisit the modding question previously asked - I shouldn't encounter any issues no matter which version I buy (either this anthology or GoG)?

If not, I'm definitely down to buying this pack (I own all but Icewind Dale on CD, but if I can not worry about installing 7+ CDs, I'm happy).

[quote name='blitztwn36']Just wanted to revisit the modding question previously asked - I shouldn't encounter any issues no matter which version I buy (either this anthology or GoG)?

If not, I'm definitely down to buying this pack (I own all but Icewind Dale on CD, but if I can not worry about installing 7+ CDs, I'm happy).[/QUOTE]

I don't know if the files from this are exactly the same as the new anology retail cds but there are some users in the reviews that had problems with mods/win7. None of them sounded too severe where you couldn't use some elbow grease and google fu to get it working.

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Classic-Anthology-Pc/dp/B005JQ064A

thx OP!

actually...how long does it usually take for GOG to process a payment through paypal?
seems like its taking an awfully long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corpekata']
This set is DRM free, and the games by default are Win 7 working, not because of anything GoG did, or Gamersgate, but simply because the games have always been easy, painless games to work on modern systems.[/QUOTE]

This isn't 100% true, my original boxed version of Baldur's Gate won't install on a drive with more than 2GB of free space.

Thanks a bunch OP.

I've been meaning to try these games out for a while and was seriously going to downoad them this week for $20 on Impulse. Awesome sweet deal.

[quote name='peloquin17']thx OP!

actually...how long does it usually take for GOG to process a payment through paypal?
seems like its taking an awfully long time.[/QUOTE]

Instantly, however Paypal probably flagged your transaction as suspicious which means it needs manually approved.

What a deal. Amazing, wow.

Those are QUALITY titles, with PST, BG2, IWD2 being the obvious gems of the collection.

100+ hours, great storyline, timeless gameplay...I wish they still made games like that, but unfortunately, they don't. Instead, we get watered down spiritual successors like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Dark/Demons Souls.

[quote name='Nintendosbooger']What a deal. Amazing, wow.

Those are QUALITY titles, with PST, BG2, IWD2 being the obvious gems of the collection.

100+ hours, great storyline, timeless gameplay...I wish they still made games like that, but unfortunately, they don't. Instead, we get watered down spiritual successors like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Dark/Demons Souls.[/QUOTE]

Never have I heard someone sound so much like a parent claiming the music of today is terrible compared to their day. ;)

[quote name='Bios Element']Instantly, however Paypal probably flagged your transaction as suspicious which means it needs manually approved.[/QUOTE]

i dont quite understand how that's possible. i use paypal all the time.

Ended up passing on this amazing deal and grabbing BG1/2, NWN, and PS:T from gog.com instead for a total of $19.98 (today's the last day of the sale I believe).

After a lot of Googling, looks like GOG version is the one that has the most mentions in mod guides and the least issues (the CD versions have some problems too apparently, plus the annoying CD check on top of that). Couldn't find any info on GamersGate + Modding other than the fact that some files are missing and mod installers fail due to the missing files.

And supposedly GOG did all the legwork for getting the licences for the rerelease and they give slight extras (soundtrack, artwork, etc), so buying from them appeals to my inner hipster. Also helps that I played IWD1/2 and wasn't a big fan (got bored half-way through), so didn't want to buy them.

[quote name='peloquin17']i dont quite understand how that's possible. i use paypal all the time.[/QUOTE]

I payed through paypal as well and I didn't provide GamersGate with any address or name and the the transaction went smoothly. Email registered for the GamersGate account was different from paying account too. :whistle2:?

I'm having some trouble with Paypal payments and moneybookers on gamersgate. Would someone be willing to send me 25,000 blue coins ($25 worth)? I'll send $27 through paypal first. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks!

[quote name='BinaryTB']Ended up passing on this amazing deal and grabbing BG1/2, NWN, and PS:T from gog.com instead for a total of $19.98 (today's the last day of the sale I believe).

After a lot of Googling, looks like GOG version is the one that has the most mentions in mod guides and the least issues (the CD versions have some problems too apparently, plus the annoying CD check on top of that). Couldn't find any info on GamersGate + Modding other than the fact that some files are missing and mod installers fail due to the missing files.

And supposedly GOG did all the legwork for getting the licences for the rerelease and they give slight extras (soundtrack, artwork, etc), so buying from them appeals to my inner hipster. Also helps that I played IWD1/2 and wasn't a big fan (got bored half-way through), so didn't want to buy them.[/QUOTE]

On PST on the CD versions, you can get around the CD check.

You basically copy the game folders for CD's 2, 3, and 4 to the HDD.
Might be best for you put these folders right inside the actual PST game-folder.

Open the INI file that looks for the paths of the game and change it to the path of where you installed those.
All done.

If you are running PST or any other Infinity Engine based games on modern PC's w/ modern equipment, make sure you TURN OFF Vid Card's Hardware Acceleration on your DX settings or vid card settings.
Otherwise, expect weird graphical issues, slow-downs, freezes, crashes, etc etc.

This is the kind of deal that makes me tell myself, "Wow, that's a great deal for potentially over a hundred hours of gameplay, but I'll probably never come around to even playing them at all."

So what's the verdict on GOG vs. GamersGate for compatibility, modding, etc.?

I bought Icewind Dale from GamersGate recently. I was surprised to discover that it's using GOG's installer. I don't know if this is true for the other games in this bundle, though.

[quote name='11440']I bought Icewind Dale from GamersGate recently. I was surprised to discover that it's using GOG's installer. I don't know if this is true for the other games in this bundle, though.[/QUOTE]

This. Everything I read seems to indicate they should be the same version.

For the record I want to state that I installed the Baldurs Gate Trilogy mod (a mod that combines Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 into one super game) with no extra effort needed on my part.

Whatever GamersGate is using, seems to be mod compatible at least for the Baldurs Gate titles.

bread's done
Back