RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
773 replies to this topic

#391 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Might as well go grab it for $15 while you can.

Also you're right, RPG's are usually linear...they just trick you into thinking otherwise.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#392 donbaloo

donbaloo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Might as well go grab it for $15 while you can.

Also you're right, RPG's are usually linear...they just trick you into thinking otherwise.

Yeah, the illusion is what really matters. I've always associated JRPGs with very strong but very linear stories. That could be complete rubbish because like I mentioned I haven't played a JRPG in a very long time. (Actually I got to thinking and I did play Suikoden on DS a few years ago, so its not been as long as I thought at first).

Then some of the western titles feel less linear. The problem is that the sandboxy ones seem to sacrifice great story for the freedom. Its largely why BioWare has been my favorite for so long. For my personal tastes, they've kind of perfected the illusion. The linearity is well disguised with the decision making but the lack of a true sandbox gives them the narrative control to construct finer stories, like the JRPGs. Masters of Illusion. Again, for my tastes of course.

#393 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

So Arcanum is three dollars at gog.com...

EDIT: Also on sale is Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, Bloodline's big brother. Whereas Bloodlines was a buggy, awkward mess that somehow managed to be really fun and replayable, Redemption is just a regular old mess. It's got a really interesting premise and it does a few neat things, but... bad controls, bad AI, bad camera, bad voice acting...

If you're really interested, just check out the LP.

Speaking of which. Blueshinra, since we're both LP fans, do you have any recommendations? I mean, "anything by The Dark Id" is pretty obvious, but beyond that? Can be screenshot or video, though I usually prefer screenshot.

Edited by The Crotch, 01 April 2012 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image

#394 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

So Arcanum is three dollars at gog.com...

EDIT: Also on sale is Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, Bloodline's big brother. Whereas Bloodlines was a buggy, awkward mess that somehow managed to be really fun and replayable, Redemption is just a regular old mess. It's got a really interesting premise and it does a few neat things, but... bad controls, bad AI, bad camera, bad voice acting...

If you're really interested, just check out the LP.

Speaking of which. Blueshinra, since we're both LP fans, do you have any recommendations? I mean, "anything by The Dark Id" is pretty obvious, but beyond that? Can be screenshot or video, though I usually prefer screenshot.

I love LPs and watch a ton of them. Any types of games you enjoy watching LPs of? I can give some recommendations.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#395 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

I love LPs and watch a ton of them. Any types of games you enjoy watching LPs of? I can give some recommendations.

It's less "type of game" and more "type of LPer" for me. A semi-complete list of stuff I've enjoyed...

Screenshot: Anything by The Dark Id (Resident Evils, Cavia games, Dirge of Cerberus... guy specializes in games that look promising but are repetitive and/or mind-boggling dumb). GuavaMoment's X-Com LPs were really good, too. I liked Mr. Swoon's Monster Rancher series. Lt. Danger did a good job of making Neverwinter Nights 2 look enjoyable, and Scorchy's KotOR 2 was great. I prefer narrative LPs whenever possible, but I'm not too picky.

Video: I don't know if I've ever made it through an entire video LP of subtitled commentary. And the only solo video LP that I watched in its entirety was Research Indicates' "Jurassic Park Trespasser", which was as much because of his enthralling voice as it was the sheer god damn lunacy of the game. Chip and Ironicus (or Chip and Void; they have really good chemistry) are pretty much the standard by which I judge all video LPs. Pokecapn and his group are great (I've got a huge soft-spot for Medibot); they made fucking Mario Party and Sonic 2006 interesting. Diabetus' voice gets on my nerves a bit, but him and Slowbeef are always solid together. Proteus and Suspicious' run through Daikatana was pretty good, though Proteus got on my nerves a few times and Suspicious' other stuff never held my interest. I'm about 70% through cKnoor and EthanSteele's Blood Bowl right now (not a big Warhammer guy, but an old roommate of mine had the Xbox version, so I've a passing familiarity with the game, and I wanted to see how it was played by someone who actually knew how to play), and it's pretty good.

Posted Image

#396 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

After a long break from it,I finally finished Demon's Souls.The game became much easier after getting the warding spell which really helps.

#397 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

It's less "type of game" and more "type of LPer" for me. A semi-complete list of stuff I've enjoyed...

Screenshot: Anything by The Dark Id (Resident Evils, Cavia games, Dirge of Cerberus... guy specializes in games that look promising but are repetitive and/or mind-boggling dumb). GuavaMoment's X-Com LPs were really good, too. I liked Mr. Swoon's Monster Rancher series. Lt. Danger did a good job of making Neverwinter Nights 2 look enjoyable, and Scorchy's KotOR 2 was great. I prefer narrative LPs whenever possible, but I'm not too picky.

Video: I don't know if I've ever made it through an entire video LP of subtitled commentary. And the only solo video LP that I watched in its entirety was Research Indicates' "Jurassic Park Trespasser", which was as much because of his enthralling voice as it was the sheer god damn lunacy of the game. Chip and Ironicus (or Chip and Void; they have really good chemistry) are pretty much the standard by which I judge all video LPs. Pokecapn and his group are great (I've got a huge soft-spot for Medibot); they made fucking Mario Party and Sonic 2006 interesting. Diabetus' voice gets on my nerves a bit, but him and Slowbeef are always solid together. Proteus and Suspicious' run through Daikatana was pretty good, though Proteus got on my nerves a few times and Suspicious' other stuff never held my interest. I'm about 70% through cKnoor and EthanSteele's Blood Bowl right now (not a big Warhammer guy, but an old roommate of mine had the Xbox version, so I've a passing familiarity with the game, and I wanted to see how it was played by someone who actually knew how to play), and it's pretty good.

I love Dark Id's stuff.

I'll just list some of my favorites. They're going to be all video LPs:

supergreatfriend http://www.youtube.c...upergreatfriend
My favorite LPer. Anything of his is great, but I highly recommend his Illbleed and Deadly Premonition LPs.

Lord Vega http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdVega
I enjoyed his Arcanum LP. I just like his dry sense of humor.

Shesellssheshells http://www.youtube.c...esellssheshells
AMAZING Silent Hill Homecoming LP. Probably the best use of Youtube annotation I've seen.

Proton Jon http://www.youtube.c...ser/ProtonJonSA
Fantastic Superman 64 LP. Though he's taking his time putting it out.

helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad http://v.lp.prinny.co.uk/mercenaries-2
By far the funniest LP I've seen.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#398 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

i like reading LPs, especially if they offer analysis on the plot or mechanics. it's really fascinating to learn about various ways to break the game.

i don't really like video LPs because it takes too long... it's real time, haha.

speaking of backlogs i keep adding on hobbies to do.
my goal is to play "To Zanarkand" on piano. maybe by next year.
i just picked up piano last month. >_<
Every day's great at your Junes!

#399 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

I love Dark Id's stuff.

I'll just list some of my favorites. They're going to be all video LPs:

supergreatfriend http://www.youtube.c...upergreatfriend
My favorite LPer. Anything of his is great, but I highly recommend his Illbleed and Deadly Premonition LPs.

Lord Vega http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdVega
I enjoyed his Arcanum LP. I just like his dry sense of humor.

Shesellssheshells http://www.youtube.c...esellssheshells
AMAZING Silent Hill Homecoming LP. Probably the best use of Youtube annotation I've seen.

Proton Jon http://www.youtube.c...ser/ProtonJonSA
Fantastic Superman 64 LP. Though he's taking his time putting it out.

helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad http://v.lp.prinny.co.uk/mercenaries-2
By far the funniest LP I've seen.

Thanks for the list. I'll probably check out Mercenaries 2 first. I like RPG LPs, but I'm really not big on RPG video LPs, so I dunno if I'll bite on Arcanum. I have to finish the damn game first, anyway.

Posted Image

#400 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Oooh, I want to help.

I watched these guys play Minecraft, it was entertaining.
http://www.youtube.c...AF&feature=plcp

Screenshot Xenogears LP. I think Dark Id's is better, but this is the first one I've ever read, so special place in my heart or something. It stopped being updated in 2010 but apparently it started up again this month.
http://www.whatdoesg...hastarship.com/

The Giantbomb guys did Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition. Some golden moments within those.

And there's that Life In Oblivion screenshot one, but that seems to have collapsed upon itself and all the screens disappeared.

#401 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

The Dark Id ones that I've read and enjoyed have been Dirge of Cerberus, Chrono Cross, Drakengard, and Xenogears. I couldn't get all the way through Clock Tower 3 or Limbo of the Lost, and thought Resident Evil was just okay, but I'm not much into survival horror or horrible adventure games (I do want to give the RE ones another shot, but I don't know what order to read them in, since the first game was LP'd last). Holding off on Nier and Drakengard 2 until after I play the former.

You've read all of those already, of course ;) Others I've enjoyed (all screenshot):

- Animal Crossing: Wild World by Chewbot - my first LP! It is weird and amazing.
- The Oregon Trail by Chewbot - another offbeat narrative LP. I don't know if these two LPs would be what you're looking for, though-- they take a lot of liberties with the source material.
- Blade Runner by Scorchy - loved how the screenshots were done. Excellent overall.
- Tropico 3 by Bobbin Threadbare - really captures the feel of the game without being dry.

Wanted to include the Final Fantasy VIII LP on this list, but it looks like it's gone from the archive. Even though it didn't discuss game mechanics much at all, I kinda liked it :-(

I also want to give Jerusalem's take on GTA: San Andreas another try, but I just know it's going to be one of those massive time-sinks. What I've read so far is great, though; it's like, "This is how you do a narrative LP."
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#402 godsentdeath

godsentdeath

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I have about 10 hours left of Graces main story. I am enjoying it, however, I think I liked Vesperia better..can't decide. Might do a NG+ run depending on how much grade I have and how much of a pain the future/bonus dungeons are. Playing on evil and I just unlocked chaos.

I just left best buy and got XIII-2 and Arkham City for 27 bucks total. I can't decide which to play next.

#403 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Make sure to buy the N7 Mass Effect armor before you start XIII-2. It's the only way to play.

#404 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

I just left best buy and got XIII-2 and Arkham City for 27 bucks total. I can't decide which to play next.

I bought AC when it first went on sale at Best Buy, and have been playing it for the past two weeks. I'm pretty close to the end right now.
Posted Image

#405 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

So GOG.com is giving away Fallout 1 for free.

That's cool, right?

Posted Image

#406 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Isn't that just a rip off of Fallout 3?

#407 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Isn't that just a rip off of Fallout 3?

You mean Wasteland, right?

#408 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

So GOG.com is giving away Fallout 1 for free.

That's cool, right?

Fallout 2 would have been better.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#409 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Fallout 2 is the worst kind of sequel.

It has just enough ease-of-use/convenience improvements over its predecessor that going back is painful. But the writing? The characters? The setting? Generally worse.

I mean, aside from Goris. Holy Fuck Goris is awesome.

Posted Image

#410 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Fallout 2 is the worst kind of sequel.

It has just enough ease-of-use/convenience improvements over its predecessor that going back is painful. But the writing? The characters? The setting? Generally worse.

I mean, aside from Goris. Holy Fuck Goris is awesome.

Very true. As much as I like the first game I can't play it again after playing Fallout 2. Though that makes me wonder. Is there a mod for Fallout like there is for Baldur's Gate that makes the game have the improvements of its sequel?

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#411 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Probably. I will confess that my knowledge of Fallout mods is piss-poor.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#412 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

crotch, PST is the most beautiful thing i've ever experienced

moonwalking and all

#413 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Explain yourself.

moonwalking and all

Turn on software mirroring.

Posted Image

#414 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Finally finished Xenoblade. What a great game. And like so many other great RPG's, a big WTF ending... Seriously, why are there so precious few RPGs that have a decent, coherent/logical ending? Mass Effect 3 has been getting a lot of flack for it's crap ending, but that's mainly because it doesn't give much closure.

While ME3 does kinda jump the shark a bit at the end, it's nothing compared to the endings of some JRPGs. Prolly why I wasn't really that bothered by it. RPG endings have been letting me down for years :D
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#415 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I just traded for Persona 3 & 4 and started playing 4 since 3 is still in the mail. It's okay to play these out of order right? 5 hours into P4 and I didn't notice anything that made me think otherwise, unless there is an import data option from P3.

BTW some of those LPs are pretty funny. Didn't know about them till now.

#416 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

I just traded for Persona 3 & 4 and started playing 4 since 3 is still in the mail. It's okay to play these out of order right? 5 hours into P4 and I didn't notice anything that made me think otherwise, unless there is an import data option from P3.

You're fine, they're completely separate games.

33126.png

#417 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

there's one part in p4 that makes references to p3 but story-wise it's minor.

also p4 has better battle mechanics, so sometimes it's hard to go back to p3. specifically you can't control your teammates in p3 unless you got the psp version.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#418 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

moonwalking and all

Explain yourself, you god damn cock-teasing son of a bitch.

And srsly, software mirroring.

Posted Image

#419 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

also p4 has better battle mechanics, so sometimes it's hard to go back to p3. specifically you can't control your teammates in p3.

Yeah I read about that... kinda hard to go back to from any game, but I think I'll be alright. Thanks for the the quick replies and info guys.

#420 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Finally finished Xenoblade. What a great game. And like so many other great RPG's, a big WTF ending... Seriously, why are there so precious few RPGs that have a decent, coherent/logical ending? Mass Effect 3 has been getting a lot of flack for it's crap ending, but that's mainly because it doesn't give much closure.

While ME3 does kinda jump the shark a bit at the end, it's nothing compared to the endings of some JRPGs. Prolly why I wasn't really that bothered by it. RPG endings have been letting me down for years :D

One RPG ending that I actually really liked was Arc Rise Fantasia's. It's too bad the bad voice acting in that game will probably keep so many people from ever seeing it.

And I also really liked the ME3 ending I got.