CAGcast #273: The Wombat Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#91 saytreyw

saytreyw

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Constructive Criticism: I don't know why, but I actually enjoy hearing about the things you enjoy and spend time on outside of video games. Not so much the poop references, but definitely movies, comics, sports (or lack there of). Also, I enjoy hearing what you want from future games and systems. Maybe you could provide what you want (or favorite feature) from each major genre. For example, what aspects of RPGs do you enjoy and what do you want to see? Same for fighting games, platformers, adventure, etc.

Long time listener. Makes the end of the week a little more awesome since Howard Stern until works through Wednesday.

#92 SnotRocket

SnotRocket

$20? To much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I enjoy the banter each and every show I feel it keeps the show interesting instead of just going from one topic to another. It's good to have an outline but people don't want to just hear scripted talk.
It's nice that at least one of you play games (Shipwreck) so when I listen I could get some information on different games instead of just the facebook games Wombat plays :P

I listen to the CAGcast because it's not like another podcast and I enjoy it. I think listeners can feel like we want to listen and care about each of the host. I think it's great that you guys are a little older to give you an appreciation of gaming and you have lived through all the crap the NES and atari put out so you can compare and knowledge what has changed over the years.

banner1.gif
fss_overall.png

#93 Perfidious Sinn

Perfidious Sinn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Constructive criticism, you say?

Keep your topics in order better. A bunch of times you'll rattle off the new games coming out near the beginning but forget some and stick them later in the show. It's a little difficult to pay attention to each segment of the show when there's so much overlap.

I know Cheapy doesn't like to edit too much so musical transitions are out of the question, but I dunno, it seems like you guys miss a lot of stuff for their "categories" and end up going back over them later. It's like the show wasn't planned in advance.

Also, I'd like if you could keep up the Top Analysts and the Cheapy Made Me Buy It (was that the name?) segments. Those were great and I'd like to hear them more frequently.
Posted Image

#94 DeskLaser

DeskLaser

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Since Wombat seems to by far play portable games the most, I think it would be really nice to have a section where Wombat discusses what portable games he has been playing and what he is looking forward to, etc. Portable games (NOT iOS games) are not discussed too often on the show and I feel it would be a great addition.
Posted Image

#95 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I won a Vita from Taco Bell on Feb 6th and I received it on the 24th. I mailed in for a lot of codes and 2 of them had already been used. It arrived with Hot Shots Golf. Just waiting for a sale on Lumines now.

There is a whole facebook group with the "winners". Seems that Jan 30 and 31st are the days the system glitched out.

There isnt anything on the show that should be changed.

Edited by my2k2zx2, 02 March 2012 - 06:59 PM.

If its free, its for me!!

#96 dreamparacite

dreamparacite

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Great show! When Shipwreck was describing Binary Domain it sounded just like he was talking about Vanquish, which if they're comparable is a good thing, Vanquish was pretty sweet! (And I won it from here too :D)

#97 warmonked

warmonked

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Here's my (hopefully) constructive criticism:

Stop worrying about listeners bitching about your topic selection or product criticism. I listen to you guys because I want your opinions. If you think the Vita legitimately sucks, then I want to hear it! Don't hold back because some listeners are offended that you don't like something.

#98 zebwinz

zebwinz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Constructive feedback: More talk of action figures fitting in places they shouldn't. Also give me Mortal Kombat....please.
Posted Image

#99 uScGoo

uScGoo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

My entry to win the MK game:
I think the CAGcast is a great show. I would like to see the "CAGs on News" theme song return. Was that submitted by a listener? I think there was a line about stirring up controversy. That would go with Wombat's recent "devil's advocate" arguments.
"I want the people to know that they still have two out of three branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad."

-President Dale
Mars Attacks

#100 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

I enjoyed the show.

First of all, I have nothing against Cheapy's negative criticism of the Vita. In fact, I find it refreshing because it counter-acts all the other glowing reviews that the other gaming websites offer. I really want to know what I am getting into if I decided to drop $$$ on a new gaming system.

Second - In regards to Wombat's suggestion for constructive criticism: I think the show could use a female point of view on occasion. Why not a game review from one of your wives? The show can be too much of a sausage fest sometimes.

Otherwise, I enjoying listening to your podcasts when I am doing some artwork.

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#101 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Since Wombat seems to by far play portable games the most, I think it would be really nice to have a section where Wombat discusses what portable games he has been playing and what he is looking forward to, etc. Portable games (NOT iOS games) are not discussed too often on the show and I feel it would be a great addition.

I'd guess that I play about 90% more portable games than Wombat. That number might be conservative.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#102 jiggyteddy

jiggyteddy

Frugal As Can Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

I would consider myself a rookie listener to the podcast. This was just the 2nd one I've listened to. I actually tweeted you guys saying that it was quite entertaining listening to the sometimes mindless banter.

You asked for criticism, so here it goes. I figure I could provide some unique perspective since I've only listened twice.

Sound quality was good. I wonder how bad it was before CheapyD sent you a new equipment.

Others might mind some of that family talk, but it didn't hurt. You're only human and want to share some things that go on at home, especially if it is relevant to the topic(s) at hand.

The thing with your 3 year old daughter and marriage amongst those monkeys was quite funny. I would be shocked if I heard it in person because it would definitely make me wonder what she has been watching and/or listening to.

Vita bashing? Hey I can only ask for some of your honest opinions of the system, and it sounded pretty genuine. They echo the same thoughts I've had about it. I'm still on the fence, and probably won't get one until a price drop. Games are too expensive.

CheapyD brought up an interesting point though--he expressed that perhaps he isn't in the target market for the product. I honestly don't know what they think their target market is. I'd assume they're targeting consumers on the go (such as myself, the work commuter). Travelers would fit this bill as well, especially those that do not use a tablet, and don't sleep well in a vehicle.

Like I said, this was only the 2nd one I've listened to. Don't really have anything to complain about. You've been running for 7 years now (I believe thats what you guys referenced) for a reason... a good majority find it entertaining. So despite what the haters say, they still listened right?

I think you guys should do a cast next week despite being down a man. Why not? Unless time doesn't permit of course. I would love to chime in someday as well.

Have a great weekend guys.
Posted Image
Totally legit rewards app! Join shopkick on your smartphone then use promo code: tomato6347 to get 50 kicks instantly! I earned $360 in BB certificates for calendar year 2012 thanks to shopkick!

Now playing:
Metal Gear Rising, Fight Night Champion, and Dynasty Warriors 7.

My twitter is @jiggyteddy for my random ramblings...

#103 JAlbertL

JAlbertL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Wombat asked who the HBO Go app on XBOX Live is for? I have an HBO subscription but no DVR. I don't always have time to watch shows when they premier. Also, I don't want to wait around until whatever time during the next couple of days for the shows to be repeated. I'm looking forward to the app.

#104 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hearing all that Vita problems tell me Sony is in for a bad year. Price cut incoming.

#105 Astroman

Astroman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

There is one piece of constructive criticism I would like to offer:

Make it a point to tell the listener the name of the game you are currently discussing at the beginning, middle and end of the conversation segment.

It seems like about once an episode now, I find myself really interested in a game you are discussing, but not knowing what the game is. I often have to rewind or look at show notes to find the title. It may seem obvious while you're recording, but as a listener with no visual cues and a divided attention span, it's really easy to miss the name at the beginning of the segment.

If it feels to you like you're mentioning the title way too often, it's probably just right.

This is a challenge for every podcast that deals with reviewing things - and you already do an above-average job at it. But it could be better!

#106 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

About that sexual harassment thing. If it was two guys and they were trash talking each other, no one would care. One of them is a woman, and everyone throws a shit fit... Seriously, if you want equality, you gotta take ALL of it. Not some of it.

#107 Astroman

Astroman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

You'll hear a lot of, "Has anyone checked out the demo?" or the reading of Metacritic scores, and it's rare when all three hosts are qualified to talk about the same game. In those rare moments, the show really works as all three hosts create a dynamic discussion (see any of the spoiler discussions on Alan Wake or Mass Effect 2),

I agree. Those two episodes were my favorites. And I've listened to the entire 7 year run.

#108 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

About that sexual harassment thing. If it was two guys and they were trash talking each other, no one would care. One of them is a woman, and everyone throws a shit fit... Seriously, if you want equality, you gotta take ALL of it. Not some of it.

If one of the guys was abusing another guy on that officially sponsored Capcom show by calling him racist or homophobic names there would be a similar controversy.

Your idea that a woman has to put up with vicious abuse and sexual harassment if she wants to play fighting games is so backward it's laughable.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#109 PinkTaco

PinkTaco

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

The one piece of constructive criticism I would like to offer the show is "We Need More Wombat!". Tell CheapyD to shut up for a second and let us absorb all the useless knowledge Wombat brings to us on a weekly basis! Thank you.

#110 killthemall4444

killthemall4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

I don't see why Cheapy and Shipwreck can't do a show next week just because Wombat won't be able to.

#111 juas003

juas003

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Wombat asked what was the point of the hbo go app on the Xbox. I or one as cheapy said don't have a satellite receiver in 2 of my tvs but have xboxes hooked to them so I can catch up on episodes of my fab shows and movies it's like having a DVr but without having to bother remembering to record it. As far as VOD for hbo I have no idea what that is or if it even offered by my provider

#112 Ultramontane

Ultramontane

Kuato Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

Keep the bodily fluid stories going please.

Don't make decisions when you're angry and don't make promises when you're happy.

#113 shizomou

shizomou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

There should be more comments like "This is getting gross, and I'm getting hungry". Also, my tweet was referenced on the show, which was awesome.

#114 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

This is non-episode specific, but the apple felatting should really stop. Little iPhone games really aren't comparable to actual DS/3DS/PSP/Vita games. The experiences will never be on par because of the lack of buttons if nothing else.

How awesome would Apple TV be if you (Cheapy) didn't waste money buying/renting tv shows and movies through apple? I think it would be pretty shit at that point.

Just had to spout off on that. I love the show, but Cheapy's bias for Apple is not only unrealistic, but down right irritating to listen to.

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#115 zeek

zeek

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

Hey Cheapy

Why don't you use the money for the party to pay for Wombat and Shipwreck to visit you in Japan. Could be good to a show from Japan during TGS.

#116 LordCrono27

LordCrono27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

The show overall was great. But the only downside i see in the show is, that you guys aren't really big fans of Nintendo ]=

#117 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

my only bitch is not enough John Snow talk.

#118 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Regarding the me3 controversy at the risk of being banned I will say this, the chances of my buying the game new are about as good as christina giving me a bj this week. This thing deserves an extraordinary amount of anger with the fake day 1 DLC free and bs.

I imagine it is EA's fault but idk. It is hard to ruin that series for me, but I think that will do it.
Posted Image

[IMG]http://http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/images/wordpress/uploads/2010/08/duck_dog_mask.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/164888.png[/IMG]

#119 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Firstly I live in the UK so the game won't work here, but i'll give my constructive criticism either way.

I love the stories on the show, Cheapy's adventures, stories about Tai etc however I feel as soon as Wombat starts to say something like "Guess what Sabrina said today?" or something then he doesn't get time to tell the story properly. Cheapy just goes "okay, whats next?" and moves the show on while we have to listen to everything he says.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#120 cabrook

cabrook

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

I love the show but I have a few items that I would like to see covered more in-depth. I feel like the show carries the CAG name but doesn't spend a lot of time calling out gaming deals. Cheapy usually calls out the big deals but I check the PS Store every week and they have great deals. So, more talk about sales would be a plus.

Also, I am a husband and father of one who is similar in age to you three guys and I really enjoy your "slice of life" talk. I enjoy everything from Cheapy's poop stories to Wombat talking about what he is playing with the kids. Even Shipwreck's many trips to Wal-Mart stories are enjoyable. This talk about your lives could be extended and adds a personal element to the show. Anyway, thanks guys for doing a terrific job, I look forward to the CAGCast each week.

P.S. The few guests that have been on in the past have generally been good, so maybe more guests as well could improve the show.