Looking to play games with darker themes

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Gemini Rue. It's a point and click adventure for the PC, the graphics may not be for everyone (it looks really dated but is actually a 2011 release), but the sound direction, voice work, and story MORE than make up for it.

I don't remember if they were really "dark" but the Longest Journey and Dreamfall are also two excellent, excellent games.

#32 solarnoise

solarnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Shin Megami Tensei for sure. Probably want to look more into Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, moreso than the Persona series. Persona is still dark but has a lot of "up beat Japanese anime culture" in the dialog.

Xenogears... which may SEEM to have the anime-ish elements I just described, but immediately slaps you in the face with some of the darkest storytelling you'll ever see.

Valkyrie Profile... you play as a valkyire recruiting fallen warriors to your party, level them up, and send them to Valhalla. A whole bunch of possible party members, each one has their own 5-ish minute cutscene showing the moments leading to their death. The whole game has a very morbid, foreboding feel.

Ico/Shadow for their ominous, secluded environments and themes.

#33 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Some games that haven't been mentioned:

For a gritty atmosphere, I recommend the SNES Shadowrun.

For a dark theme and (quite interesting) story, I recommend Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. GOG.com has that one.

Full Throttle without a doubt should meet your requirements. Definitely an amazing game.

Additionally, Grim Fandango has dark themes and locations but is laden with humor which might put you off. On its own, it's one of the best adventure games ever, though.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday could definitely apply here as well. There's a PC version and an arguably superior Genesis version of that.

Deus Ex: Game of the Year also fits the bill if you can get past the dated stealth mechanics.

There's also Singularity (FPS).

Finally, Half-Life 2 and its subsequent installments seem to apply as well.

I might update this post if more come to mind.

#34 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

Darkness, and skyrim.
Posted Image

#35 Kevfactor

Kevfactor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

i watched the 1st 20 mins of sillent hill downpour online and it looks as dark as Fuck. the 1st scene you pretty much murder a helpless guy in cold blood lol.

the batman series is indeed dark now! not overthe top but it's like playing maybe 50% of the dark knights darkness :)

sadly tho there has been some recent PG movement that has been sweeping across the airwaves were stuff isn't dark anymore! Die hard 5 for exmaple they had a gun shot dubbed over the cussing of his trademark saying!
wrestling they took all the drama and junk out and it's like just wrestling now. it's even hit mass effect 3 some as they say effin and not Fuck anymore :)

#36 OrangeArmy

OrangeArmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

#37 crushtopher

crushtopher

1 to 1.618

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Clive Barker's Jericho.

Quality isn't the best, but it's cheap and has great value.

#38 Drizzt

Drizzt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

A couple that haven't been mentioned yet are Haunting Ground for the PS2 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for the PC. You'll need to install an unofficial patch to get VtMB up and running, but the Steam forums have many users willing to lend a hand.

#39 ryuk1214

ryuk1214

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

LSD: Dream Emulator is extremely psychedelic and twisted, IF you can find it on ebay I'd buy it. Or on a japanese PSN account like me.

#40 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

This might sound weird but the Fallout games are inherently dark and twisted. It really depends what kind of player you want to be, but many of the subplots within the 3 and New Vegas are exceptionally twisted. I realize some people may scoff but they have the openness to play as a really twisted bastard if you want to.

#41 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

This might sound weird but the Fallout games are inherently dark and twisted. It really depends what kind of player you want to be, but many of the subplots within the 3 and New Vegas are exceptionally twisted. I realize some people may scoff but they have the openness to play as a really twisted bastard if you want to.

The Fallout games have also traditionally had a very humourous bent to them, though. I've heard that Black Isle really regretted making the first game "funny", but they realized that they were stuck with it.

Now, the "Point Lookout" DLC for Fallout 3? That shit is pretty god damn dark. Like, Deliverance: Zombies Edition or something.

Though I was always irritated by how fucking durable the enemies were.

Posted Image

#42 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Great dark stories

BioShock
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Alan Wake