Really Weird Illness

nasum

CAGiversary!
I've got this thing right now and I have no idea what it is. I wake up in the morning feeling like I've got the worst hangover I've ever had despite not having had a drop and all of my joints are just in hell. I don't really have a fever, but I go from having the chills to sweating like crazy then back to the chills again. Minor headache that's been going on for about 5 days now and the body pains have been about as long too. No barfing or sloppy poop either. Basically it's kinda of like having an annoying low grade flu without the mess.

It just won't go away though. I wake up and can barely get out of bed for a couple of hours.

If you have insurance I'd go in right away. The fact that you don't have a fever could be an indicator that things are worse than if you did have a fever. It could mean your body's not fighting whatever it is you've got.

Wow...you might want to see a doctor about that. If it wasn't for the chills, I'd guess that it might be related to the dry air, acid reflux, and/or post nasal drip.

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't odd that I seek the CAG opinion before consulting a doctor? Actually no, I don't trust doctors.

And you do trust a bunch of random people on here? Clearly this illness is affecting your mental faculties as well...

[quote name='nasum']isn't odd that I seek the CAG opinion before consulting a doctor? Actually no, I don't trust doctors.[/QUOTE]

If by odd, you mean dumb, then yes, it's odd.

[quote name='elessar123']If by odd, you mean dumb, then yes, it's odd.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Go see a doctor TODAY. It sounds like you are suffering from the effects of genophage.

Any chest or nasal congestion? There is a nasty cold or virus or something going around here that I'm just getting over. It's been a tough one to shake. We had the weirdo chills/sweats every 10-20 minutes. Runny nose and chest and nasal congestion. Docs here are well aware of it and are just tossing out z-paks like candy.

[quote name='bordjon']Any chest or nasal congestion? There is a nasty cold or virus or something going around here that I'm just getting over. It's been a tough one to shake. We had the weirdo chills/sweats every 10-20 minutes. Runny nose and chest and nasal congestion. Docs here are well aware of it and are just tossing out z-paks like candy.[/QUOTE]

And that's why we have stuff like MRSA...

Having flu-like symptoms without the main indicators (vomiting, fever, etc) is cause for alarm. You need to see a doctor right away.

[quote name='elessar123']And that's why we have stuff like MRSA...[/QUOTE]

Yep - I didn't go to the dr. (shhh don't tell everybody else in the thread!) because I knew that's all I'd get and I don't particular want antibiotics as I just did a candida yeast detox. My wife went and she got the z-pak and some cough medicine scripts and of course the steroid shot. I took a ton of vit c and echinacea and drank a ton of water and tea with honey. It was still a pain to get over this particular strain though.

Dang, you guys go to the doctor for less severe things than I do I think. Not saying I'm Mr. Tough-guy, but the lack of a fever is what would convince me that you don't need to see one. High fevers are dangerous, could mean infection, viral issues, etc. I'd personally stay well hydrated, eat small portions a few times a day, easy to digest things like soup, toast, all that.

Most mornings I wake up with joint pain. I just consider that getting old. I swear my knees and left shoulder should be getting social security any day now.

Try a nice, hot shower too. Then if it keeps up for more than 10 days or so, I'd call a doc to see if it's something they want you to come in for.

So I went yesterday, full range of tests and bloodwork and all that. I almost passed out after the blood draw, they took a LOT.
No fever but my blood pressure is all over hell. They took it three times while I was there and it started high, dropped to well below normal and then got into the high range of normal. The poking and prodding bit just found painful spots but the doctor lady gave me a knuckle massage checking for arthritis that damn near made me giddy.

The general opinion before blood results is that I'm reacting in a very strange way to a viral infection of some variety. Typically people get the cold/flu like symptoms but I've gone to fluid in the joints and muscle atrophy. I can't even walk the dogs for more than 15 minutes right now and as a test I couldn't bench press 40lbs. last night. That's about 1/3rd of normal.

I have had the oddest stomach issue for nearly a month now. Went to see the doc 3 weeks ago and we are just now doing tests. No blood work yet though. Seems like they are taking their sweet time. Can't wait to be over this!

[quote name='nasum']So I went yesterday, full range of tests and bloodwork and all that. I almost passed out after the blood draw, they took a LOT.
No fever but my blood pressure is all over hell. They took it three times while I was there and it started high, dropped to well below normal and then got into the high range of normal. The poking and prodding bit just found painful spots but the doctor lady gave me a knuckle massage checking for arthritis that damn near made me giddy.

The general opinion before blood results is that I'm reacting in a very strange way to a viral infection of some variety. Typically people get the cold/flu like symptoms but I've gone to fluid in the joints and muscle atrophy. I can't even walk the dogs for more than 15 minutes right now and as a test I couldn't bench press 40lbs. last night. That's about 1/3rd of normal.[/QUOTE]

ummmm so your sick and your doing bench presses... that is a very stupid thing to do with your blood pressure jumping all over the place.. you could seem normal one minute and then pass out if the pressure gets too low i had this happen to me a few times 2 years back.. just sitting on the pc and boom i wake up on the floor (hasnt done it since)

also watch out what type of shots they give you in the doctors if your having blood pressure problems. my uncle passed out the other week went to the hospital and they either game him Insulin or a Morphine shot. and it made his heart go crazy

TO THE POST ABOVE MINE ABOUT THE BELLY PROBLEM... have you lift anything heavy, moved snow ect ect ect.. you could of pulled or ripped something .. i had something wrong off and on with my right side of my stomach area for the last month after pushing some snow and was told i probally pulled something and it could take up to 6 to 12 weeks to heal ( or longer since i keep lifting stuff)

[quote name='nasum']So I went yesterday, full range of tests and bloodwork and all that. I almost passed out after the blood draw, they took a LOT.

The general opinion before blood results is that I'm reacting in a very strange way to a viral infection of some variety. Typically people get the cold/flu like symptoms but I've gone to fluid in the joints and muscle atrophy. I can't even walk the dogs for more than 15 minutes right now and as a test I couldn't bench press 40lbs. last night. That's about 1/3rd of normal.[/QUOTE]

OT but how do you "test your strength" with a 40lb bench press? A standard bar weighs 45lbs.

Edit: I hope you feel better though

Don't know if it's the same thing but my wife and I just got over something nasty. Had me in bed an entire day but I felt fine the next day. I was throwing up until I had nothing in my stomach. I thought it was food poisoning but people were telling me there's some virus going around so that might've been it. My wife got it a day after me, but she had different symptoms.

Whatever it was it's gone, but it's been a shitty week.

[quote name='GBAstar']OT but how do you "test your strength" with a 40lb bench press? A standard bar weighs 45lbs.[/QUOTE]

Obvious Answer: He bench-pressed a midget.

Another possibility: He uses what 90% of us non-jock gamers use, a regular simple bench with a ~15lb bar, not an Olympic Weight Set (Olympic barbell = 45lbs.)

Alt. Answer: He doesn't count the weight of the bar, just the plates.

I went to the doctor, he says "you've got 6 months to live", I say I'd like a second opinion and he says "okay, you're ugly, too".

I went to another doctor, he says "You've got acute Bronchitis". I say "Why thank you doctor, but I'm not gay."

Z-paks: Fighting the T-Virus since 1991.

Feel better soon.

[quote name='Rodimus']Don't know if it's the same thing but my wife and I just got over something nasty. Had me in bed an entire day but I felt fine the next day. I was throwing up until I had nothing in my stomach. I thought it was food poisoning but people were telling me there's some virus going around so that might've been it. My wife got it a day after me, but she had different symptoms.

Whatever it was it's gone, but it's been a shitty week.[/QUOTE]

^ this is what is going on in my neck of the woods

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/...ng-disease-seen-all-over-state-official-says/

Outbreaks of ‘winter vomiting disease’ seen all over state, official says

BANGOR, Maine — If you’ve been feeling under the weather lately, you’re not alone.
As is the case each year at this time, Maine has been hit by noroviruses, a group of viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis. The primary symptoms of noroviruses — also known as “winter vomiting disease,” are intense bouts of vomiting, diarrhea and cramping that typically last 24 to 48 hours.
“It’s all over — from Aroostook County to York, from Androscoggin to the midcoast,” state epidemiologist Dr. Stephen Sears said early Thursday evening in a telephone interview from his home, where he was hard at work despite a snowstorm that shut down state offices.

[Click link for more]

[quote name='dohdough']I'm glad you finally put your man-pants on and went to see a doctor.[/QUOTE]

Instead of lady-pants?

Sounds like it could be mono ... as in the kissing disease. Ever have that before?

If it is you must stop kissing the boys ;) J/P

Seriously though how tired are you? Like tired all day tired? Or tired after doing stuff? Glands swollen, etc etc.

[quote name='Gden']Instead of lady-pants?[/QUOTE]

Pyjamas?

RE: Weights - I've got one of these in the basement:
http://www.lifefitness.com/home/strength/home-gyms/g3-home-gym.html
Not exactly that but quite similar.

The possibilities (still waiting for blodd test results which nearly made me pass out):
Lyme Disease (though no rash)
Mono
Norovirus (though no sloppy messes)
Kidney Failure
Liver/Stomach Cancer (not the 1st time)
Weird infection causing arthritis type symptoms
Mercury Poisoning

Basically I'm exhausted all day, feel like I have a bad hangover or a light to medium flu (again no shitting of the ass or mouth), light headache that won't go away, muscle weakness, joint pain and wake up sweating like crazy w/o a fever.
It's weird and it's getting boring. Had you told me that nearly a week straight of nothing but movies and video games would leave me feeling like I'm going to die of boredom I'd think you're crazy.

I'm at work today, but just sitting upright in my chair for a bit makes me want to take a nap.

[quote name='whoknows']Fever gone but itchy.
Hungry and eat doggy food.
Itchy Itchy Scott came.
Ugly face so killed him.
Tasty.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

Yep... viral. My wife has been seeing tons of people with these same complaints. As with any virus, it will just have to run it's course. Also, influenza doesn't necessarily involve "barfing or sloppy poop" (common misconception).

We been going through a virus gauntlet over the past few months. With the wife being a doc, me working at a university and our daughter in preschool, we're always sick with something.

[quote name='whoknows']Fever gone but itchy.
Hungry and eat doggy food.
Itchy Itchy Scott came.
Ugly face so killed him.
Tasty.[/QUOTE]

Looking good brother

scaled.php

turns out it isn't so odd apparently. I got my blood test back and I'm off the charts for mono. So how do you treat mono, by being as lazy as fucking possible apparently. No heavy lifting at all since you can blow up your spleen and limit activity. Mono + Mass Effect 3 = Livin' Large it would seem.

bread's done
Back