(Rumor) WiiU price set at $299

The Japanese price is 20,000 yen, though. That said, I think a US$299 price would have more to do with the current exchange rate* than matching up with the competition.

* - It was around 117 yen to the dollar in November 2006, when the Wii launched. Today it's barely 82 yen to the dollar (and that's the highest it's been in months).

If it wants to compete it definitely should be priced no more than $299, and at that price needs to come with a bundled game at the very least.

So far it hasn't shown it is a giant leap above the PS3 which at the moment is priced at $250 which includes a 160 GB hard drive and dedicated blu-ray player. By the time the Wii U launches I expect the Xbox 360 to be $150.

I really hope Nintendo comes out with some triple A launch titles or a reasonable bundle because at the moment the rumored advertised product boils down to a touchscreen controller for an extra $50. Minus a blu-ray player and giant established library of HD games.

I'm glad Nintendo is finally converting to HD but I want them to succeed and I really hope the Wii U doesn't end up like the current state of the Wii (lagging behind the competition). A generation ago the Gamecube was up to par and was a wonderful machine compared to the PS2 and Xbox. The Wii U is going to pale in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox 720.

[quote name='antlp89']I'm glad Nintendo is finally converting to HD but I want them to succeed and I really hope the Wii U doesn't end up like the current state of the Wii (lagging behind the competition). A generation ago the Gamecube was up to par and was a wonderful machine compared to the PS2 and Xbox. The Wii U is going to pale in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox 720.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, whenever such a beast comes out. While Microsoft is starting to show signs that they may have a new console in the future, I see no such sign yet from Sony. Unless there is a new market that one of these companies wants to enter, I don't see the rush to release another console.

$299 is fine if it comes with a game. It will be a hard sell if it's just a system though. It will also be a hard sell if they don't throw in a game to show off the system's concept a la Wii Sports, so I'm guessing we'll see one.

[quote name='blueshinra']* - It was around 117 yen to the dollar in November 2006, when the Wii launched. Today it's barely 82 yen to the dollar (and that's the highest it's been in months).[/QUOTE]

I'd just like to take a minute to say fuck paypal and fuck their conversion rates. They don't give me anything even close to 82 yen for the dollar.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'd just like to take a minute to say fuck paypal and fuck their conversion rates. They don't give me anything even close to 82 yen for the dollar.[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it >_< What sucks for me is that my credit card company's rate is even worse, so I try to use PayPal at Japanese stores whenever possible.

$299 would be a great price and if it came out with some big games at launch I would be really tempted. I probably wouldn't get it at launch since I have a huge backlog for my PS3, a little backlog for my 360, games I missed out for my Wii, and probably future games I want to buy for my new Vita.

I doubt I'll be buying at launch since I still have several Wii games I want to play and just don't have much time for gaming now. But that price seems about right, assuming it includes a good packed in game like the Wii. If it's just the console that's too much, but I'm almost sure there will be a pack in, something that can sell the system when people see it, like Wii Sports did for the Wii.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'd buy it Day 1 at that price with a few worthy launch titles.[/QUOTE]

It's less than a year away and we haven't even seen any real games for the system. I hope Nintendo's planning on blowing everyone away during E3.

[quote name='TheLongshot']http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/0...-299-in-north-america-and-20000-yen-in-japan/

If true, that's probably about the right price for this market. I couldn't imagine selling a new console for much more than that when there is still a lot of life in the PS3 and Xbox.[/QUOTE]

dude, the xbox has been dead for years, micro$oft just found a way to even the playing field. That said, I believe that nintendo will release it at 350 and it will still not take a loss on the system!

[quote name='Cheapskate']Rumor is Valve's console will be the one blowing everyone away during E3...[/QUOTE]
If this is true, Valve is just going to be unfair. Half-Life 3 might be on the thing, or you can probably go between Computer and the Steam Box through Steam, like Portal 2. Another Counter-Strike, Half Life, and I honestly think that's all they need to be a competitor in the market.

[quote name='Predator21281']If this is true, Valve is just going to be unfair. Half-Life 3 might be on the thing, or you can probably go between Computer and the Steam Box through Steam, like Portal 2. Another Counter-Strike, Half Life, and I honestly think that's all they need to be a competitor in the market.[/QUOTE]
About time.Here I am paying for Live like a sucker.

[quote name='Josh5890']I'm more focused on game prices at launch. I hope they stay at $50 msrp.[/QUOTE]

I hope so too, but I'm doubtful they wont make the move to $60.

[quote name='blindinglights']I hope so too, but I'm doubtful they wont make the move to $60.[/QUOTE]

9 times out of 10 if I buy a game at launch it is a Nintendo game so $50 is a big + for me.

I imagine we'll see variable pricing at launch.

Batman GOTY will be $50, but only because it'll be on 360/PS3 as well (I assume this will be the case)

Ninja Gaiden 3, Darksiders 2, and all of the other games coming out mid summer on PS3/360/PC coming late to Wii U are wild cards though. I think Darksiders 2 will be $60, but will have the DLC up to that point on the disc.

However, Assassin's Creed III, if it comes out Day and Date, will be $60 on Wii U.

Easy to see this one coming

What I wonder about isn't the hardware, but the relationship with developers that they emphasized starting last E3. In Nintendo's opinion, what is it about the WIIU that makes it more attractive to 3rd parties than the Wii?

Maybe this coming E3 will be good for that, who knows. Whatever the case, not that we didn't suspect this, but it's clear the part of the MSRP that isn't profit is going into the tablet peripheral. That tablet had better be good. I'm not as interested in this year's E3 as I was last year's, but I'm still tuning in...

Some of those guys are saying it's not even as powerful as Xbox 360 and PS3? Wow.

Even though I'll just be happy that Nintendo is finally going HD, it's still pretty disappointing if they can't even match what will be previous generation graphics.

Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business. They could do nothing but release their old NES/SNES/N64/GameCube games on PSN and XBLA marketplaces and make millions.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Here we fuckin go again. Look, if the machine doesn't have games you want to play just don't buy it.

fuck's sake.[/QUOTE]

This is what everyone should be talking about. A vast majority of the games announced for the system are ports, include many games that have been available on the 360/PS3 for months.

Add in the fact that it doesn't upscale Wii games and I honestly see no reason to buy it at this point, no matter the price at this point.

I'm sure Nintendo will (hopefully) show/demo some original games this E3 but the fact that it's this close to release and we haven't even any clear footage of some real games does bother me.

Why does that bother you?

Nintendo has made it quite clear that they plan on blowing out E3 with media and showing off their games. It is logical conjecture, based on Nintendo's history, that any devs that actually have a kit are under an NDA and can't show off any media yet. E3 is 60 days away. Sit tight.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Why does that bother you?

Nintendo has made it quite clear that they plan on blowing out E3 with media and showing off their games. It is logical conjecture, based on Nintendo's history, that any devs that actually have a kit are under an NDA and can't show off any media yet. E3 is 60 days away. Sit tight.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. We've all known for a long time that Nintendo isn't showing jack until E3 and that there won't be any real news until then. Most things out there right now are conjecture.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Why does that bother you?

Nintendo has made it quite clear that they plan on blowing out E3 with media and showing off their games. It is logical conjecture, based on Nintendo's history, that any devs that actually have a kit are under an NDA and can't show off any media yet. E3 is 60 days away. Sit tight.[/QUOTE]

Usually it seems like there's leaks and whatnot with new consoles but I guess that's true, Nintendo's generally more secretive than Sony/MS (NDA or not).

60 days... damn, a new generation is about to be revealed...

Agreed. As long as they make it HD and it looks good, and it's got good games, it's all good... well, actually I hope they get friends lists, multiple accounts/profiles, achievements and online right too.

I think if Sony and Microsoft decide to block used games on their next gen systems, the Wii U will begin to look more appealing to gamers.

I would hope so anyway. I would never support a system that does this. On principle alone.

But Nintendo needs to get it's act together too. It needs online functionality and although I do think party games can be fun, it needs to lure the core back in. And some new franchises would be nice. Not everyone is still loving Mario.

Yeah those rumors are all true.
1256616644_qXJ4jSv-L.jpg

God knows we can't wait two months.

No matter what the launch price is, Nintendo has shown they don't mind dropping the price significantly in the first year. I think the whole 3ds launch debacle will hurt the wiiu.

[quote name='nickerous']No matter what the launch price is, Nintendo has shown they don't mind dropping the price significantly in the first year. I think the whole 3ds launch debacle will hurt the wiiu.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a reason why I'd want to stay away for a while. I mean, I know Nintendo made it up to those who bought it full price but... I'd have $80 then some "upgraded" ports of games I already have or don't want.

We don't really know what Nintendo will do for Wii U. We know AC3, Arkham City GOTY, Darksiders 2, NG3 (LOL), and presumably COD, Madden and RE6 will be there at launch. Along with whatever Major Franchise they decide to throw out for Launch Day it seems like a relatively solid launch lineup, if a bit stuffed.

For price...$249-$299. That's what I've heard.

[quote name='mrx001']I don't know what they're selling, but I ain't buying.-collective sentiment[/QUOTE]

I know what they have sold, and I ain't buying. - my sentiment. (until it's $99 - CAG4LIFE!).

I definitely don't think it will be more than $300 on launch.

Also, they're going to have at least a few new original games as well; the 3DS taught them that much. I think it's likely that Pikmin 3 will be a launch title as well as perhaps a 2D Mario game. And if it's true that Retro has been working on the next Zelda game in conjuction with Aonuma's group, it's possible we may see that as well.

$299 seems reasonable to me. As long as you go into the WiiU experience expecting the next wave of Nintendo franchises in HD, plus maybe a couple of surprises from 3rd parties along the way, you'll be a satisfied customer.

I picked up Xenoblade Friday knowing that I won't play it until November, upscaled or not, and I'm fine with that plus a couple of new releases. One major change I would like to see is Virtual Console purchases tied to a username/account like PSN going forward, rather than hardware though.

[quote name='nickerous']No matter what the launch price is, Nintendo has shown they don't mind dropping the price significantly in the first year. I think the whole 3ds launch debacle will hurt the wiiu.[/QUOTE]

Mind you, the price drop was partly in reaction to Sony pricing the Vita so competitively.

Although, from rumors I've been reading, it sounds like Sony learned from their mistake of making the PS3 such an incredibly expensive system, and is aiming to price the PS4 more competitively. So it's entirely possible for a repeat price drop with the Wii U after a year.

Except Nintendo learned a lesson with the 3DS' pricing, and from what I've heard those lessons are being applied to Wii U's pricing. Although the only thing I've heard is 'no handheld over $199' but that was in large part due to the overwhelming response at E3 2010. The only way I could see Wii U's price being dropped after a few months would be if there was a major software drought from the beginning of the console's life that stagnated hardware adoption until that point. This includes third party support as well.

I'm just saying, if Wii U ends up launching at $299 (because the controller adds to the cost), and then the PS4 launches a year later at $299 (without the fancy controller, but a more powerful console, and perhaps with the ability to use the Vita as a controller)...things could get interesting.

[quote name='Cheapskate']I'm just saying, if Wii U ends up launching at $299 (because the controller adds to the cost), and then the PS4 launches a year later at $299 (without the fancy controller, but a more powerful console, and perhaps with the ability to use the Vita as a controller)...things could get interesting.[/QUOTE]

What would be more interesting is if Sony or MS fully unwieldy their next console at E3 this year to steal Nintendo's thunder. Unlikely, I know, but still...

[quote name='Cheapskate']I'm just saying, if Wii U ends up launching at $299 (because the controller adds to the cost), and then the PS4 launches a year later at $299 (without the fancy controller, but a more powerful console, and perhaps with the ability to use the Vita as a controller)...things could get interesting.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think everyone believes that Sony is the wildcard going into Next Gen. However I really doubt Sony is going to release PS4 at $299 unless they adopt the Wii strategy of cheaper = better. $399 is a probability, but again, it's Sony. They don't seem eager to learn lessons.

I've been saying this for a while, but I think Sony is going to be the last of the console makers that will come out with a new console. The PS3 just became profitable, they have a new CEO, and they just slashed 10,000 jobs. I just don't see them rolling the dice on a new console anytime soon.

Microsoft I can believe, because they have goals beyond just making a game machine. But, not Sony at this point.

bread's done
Back