Photo
- - - - -

(Rumor) WiiU price set at $299

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Agreed. As long as they make it HD and it looks good, and it's got good games, it's all good... well, actually I hope they get friends lists, multiple accounts/profiles, achievements and online right too.

#32 testisbest

testisbest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think if Sony and Microsoft decide to block used games on their next gen systems, the Wii U will begin to look more appealing to gamers.

I would hope so anyway. I would never support a system that does this. On principle alone.

But Nintendo needs to get it's act together too. It needs online functionality and although I do think party games can be fun, it needs to lure the core back in. And some new franchises would be nice. Not everyone is still loving Mario.

#33 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

With the speculation that it's going to be no more powerful than the current generation of systems, I really think $299 is too much.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#34 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yeah those rumors are all true.
Posted Image

God knows we can't wait two months.

#35 nickerous

nickerous

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

No matter what the launch price is, Nintendo has shown they don't mind dropping the price significantly in the first year. I think the whole 3ds launch debacle will hurt the wiiu.
:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Gameburg FC: 0688-5264-2231
Digiburg FC: 1993-7872-0686

#36 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

No matter what the launch price is, Nintendo has shown they don't mind dropping the price significantly in the first year. I think the whole 3ds launch debacle will hurt the wiiu.

That's actually a reason why I'd want to stay away for a while. I mean, I know Nintendo made it up to those who bought it full price but... I'd have $80 then some "upgraded" ports of games I already have or don't want.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#37 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

mmm, ports

I'd be all over that crap if it had upnp and netflix. Then I could throw my ps3 in the garbage

#38 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

We don't really know what Nintendo will do for Wii U. We know AC3, Arkham City GOTY, Darksiders 2, NG3 (LOL), and presumably COD, Madden and RE6 will be there at launch. Along with whatever Major Franchise they decide to throw out for Launch Day it seems like a relatively solid launch lineup, if a bit stuffed.

For price...$249-$299. That's what I've heard.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#39 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

I don't know what they're selling, but I ain't buying.-collective sentiment

#40 setai

setai

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

I definitely don't think it will be more than $300 on launch.

Also, they're going to have at least a few new original games as well; the 3DS taught them that much. I think it's likely that Pikmin 3 will be a launch title as well as perhaps a 2D Mario game. And if it's true that Retro has been working on the next Zelda game in conjuction with Aonuma's group, it's possible we may see that as well.

#41 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

$299 seems reasonable to me. As long as you go into the WiiU experience expecting the next wave of Nintendo franchises in HD, plus maybe a couple of surprises from 3rd parties along the way, you'll be a satisfied customer.

I picked up Xenoblade Friday knowing that I won't play it until November, upscaled or not, and I'm fine with that plus a couple of new releases. One major change I would like to see is Virtual Console purchases tied to a username/account like PSN going forward, rather than hardware though.
\\:D/

#42 Cheapskate

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Mind you, the price drop was partly in reaction to Sony pricing the Vita so competitively.

Although, from rumors I've been reading, it sounds like Sony learned from their mistake of making the PS3 such an incredibly expensive system, and is aiming to price the PS4 more competitively. So it's entirely possible for a repeat price drop with the Wii U after a year.

#43 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Except Nintendo learned a lesson with the 3DS' pricing, and from what I've heard those lessons are being applied to Wii U's pricing. Although the only thing I've heard is 'no handheld over $199' but that was in large part due to the overwhelming response at E3 2010. The only way I could see Wii U's price being dropped after a few months would be if there was a major software drought from the beginning of the console's life that stagnated hardware adoption until that point. This includes third party support as well.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#44 Cheapskate

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm just saying, if Wii U ends up launching at $299 (because the controller adds to the cost), and then the PS4 launches a year later at $299 (without the fancy controller, but a more powerful console, and perhaps with the ability to use the Vita as a controller)...things could get interesting.

#45 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm just saying, if Wii U ends up launching at $299 (because the controller adds to the cost), and then the PS4 launches a year later at $299 (without the fancy controller, but a more powerful console, and perhaps with the ability to use the Vita as a controller)...things could get interesting.

What would be more interesting is if Sony or MS fully unwieldy their next console at E3 this year to steal Nintendo's thunder. Unlikely, I know, but still...

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#46 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Well, I think everyone believes that Sony is the wildcard going into Next Gen. However I really doubt Sony is going to release PS4 at $299 unless they adopt the Wii strategy of cheaper = better. $399 is a probability, but again, it's Sony. They don't seem eager to learn lessons.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#47 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

I've been saying this for a while, but I think Sony is going to be the last of the console makers that will come out with a new console. The PS3 just became profitable, they have a new CEO, and they just slashed 10,000 jobs. I just don't see them rolling the dice on a new console anytime soon.

Microsoft I can believe, because they have goals beyond just making a game machine. But, not Sony at this point.
Posted Image

#48 techtonic

techtonic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

I've been saying this for a while, but I think Sony is going to be the last of the console makers that will come out with a new console. The PS3 just became profitable, they have a new CEO, and they just slashed 10,000 jobs. I just don't see them rolling the dice on a new console anytime soon.

Microsoft I can believe, because they have goals beyond just making a game machine. But, not Sony at this point.

If PS4 launches 2 years after Wii U, it will be pretty far behind. Wii U could be maybe 20 million strong and next Xbox 10 million by holiday 2014 if they launch 2013. Devs will target the sure thing of 20 million+ users and port games to the PS4 but it won't look much better even if the hardware is better. Plus Wii U could be a lot cheaper after 2 years. A year out is the most you really want to go after the first console releases unless they have something radically different they could market. And "moar grafx" isn't it. Plus it doesn't seem to match what Kotaku and IGN are reporting with PS4 timing.

#49 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

So...Sony just announced they lost $6.4 billion last year. Me thinks it means a less powerful PS4 is in their future. If PS4 is in their future at all. That's good news for Wii U then.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#50 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

So...Sony just announced they lost $6.4 billion last year. Me thinks it means a less powerful PS4 is in their future. If PS4 is in their future at all. That's good news for Wii U then.

Yeah, I think the days of free MP on PSN are numbered, given how much MS boasts how much they rake in. Changing that with a PS4 launch would make the most sense.

Question is, can Nintendo keep it free on the U?

#51 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

It's going to be free, but developers, like on PS3, 360 and PC, will have the option to do Online Passes like they do now. But the thing with Wii U is that all DLC will be handled in-game and not through an online marketplace.

And I agree about Sony, they'll probably rebrand Playstation Network and start charging for it so they can save face and say 'PSN was always free.'
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#52 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

The price would be fine but mark my words, Sony and MS will announce aggressive price drops during E3 in preparation of the Wii U launch. These aggressive price drops (maybe 100 off) will hurt Wii U sales significantly. We don't know the Wii U's power but it's widely axpected to be slightly more powerful than ps3 and x360. Nintendo needs a 249.99 or 199.99 price point. Let's see if they learned the lesson of the 3DS launch.

#53 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

I don't think Sony can afford to cut the PS3's price and I don't think Microsoft will cut the price of their $199 SKU. They MIGHT cut the price of their $299 SKU to $249, but I doubt it, considering they have Halo 4 coming out this fall.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#54 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

The price would be fine but mark my words, Sony and MS will announce aggressive price drops during E3 in preparation of the Wii U launch. These aggressive price drops (maybe 100 off) will hurt Wii U sales significantly. We don't know the Wii U's power but it's widely axpected to be slightly more powerful than ps3 and x360. Nintendo needs a 249.99 or 199.99 price point. Let's see if they learned the lesson of the 3DS launch.

The other flaw in your thinking is that the average consumer gives a crap about the wiiU being only a little bit more powerful than the xbox 360 or ps3 and will compare value based on that.

Nintendo needs to make it very clear that the wiiU is a new system so that all the wii buyers will go "oooh new system!" as opposed to "is it a new system or just a new controller? Can I buy the controller separately?"

$299 might not be day 1 purchase for me. $249 would. The original wii was $249 wasn't it?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#55 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

It's going to be free, but developers, like on PS3, 360 and PC, will have the option to do Online Passes like they do now. But the thing with Wii U is that all DLC will be handled in-game and not through an online marketplace.

And I agree about Sony, they'll probably rebrand Playstation Network and start charging for it so they can save face and say 'PSN was always free.'

didnt they change it to Sony entertainment network? or did that not fly

#56 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Yes, the Wii started out at $249.

And Sony basically merged PSN into SEN, which is essentially PSN, but for all of Sony's internal digital properties.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#57 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Here we fuckin go again. Look, if the machine doesn't have games you want to play just don't buy it.

Fuck's sake.

Agree, features are meaningless unless a console has GAMES, and not just 1-2 good games at launch. As of now all the new consoles will need to have a strong launch lineup and keep that momentum going, no after launch drought in order to sell. If not buyers will go for the previous gen's much cheaper hardware, with huge game libraries already established. After all games are what we are buying these machines for, not to be dust collectors.

The 3DS has an abysmal lineup (for me), as I see nothing on that console that I personally want to play, however there is plenty to play on the regular DS which I already own and Nintendo is still releasing the games I want to play for the regular DS (Pokemon) so I see no reason to buy the 3DS right now. I also find a lot that I want to play on the Xbox 360 and enough exclusives on the PS3 to also own one of those especially at current prices.

#58 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

I think considering that the WiiU isn't pushing the tech borderline $300 is a touch high. I'd like to see it at $250 but $300 would be my limit. I hope they try to maintain a single model unlike the PS3/360. That's one thing I've appreciated about the Wii. Aside from colors it's been the same console until.. what March last year when they introduced the gimped version? Which to be fair kind of replaced the original. I don't think anyone else has done that since the PS2/Slim.

With a good game bundle I think I could be happy with $300, and for the record I never thought WiiSports was that hot of a game. Fun demo, fun for the casuals (if i can somehow say that non-insultingly) but that was never gonna be a long term game.

I'm more focused on game prices at launch. I hope they stay at $50 msrp.

THIS. This is the most important thing. If they can get games to stay at $50 rather than climbing like PS3 and 360 has I'll buy the WiiU before PS4 or Next Xbox guaranteed. Arguing price online is the most frustrating thing because there's always someone who wants to argue that, with inflation, games are the cheapest they've ever been since the Atari.

Spoiler

Edited by Wolfkin, 03 May 2012 - 12:24 AM.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#59 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

I'll probably bite on day one at $299 assuming VC stuff carries over and we get a slew of new titles. I'd also like to play slightly prettier versions of some of my 360/PS3 favorites. GOTY versions of Skyrim, Batman AC, maybe some sort of Fallout 3/NV bundle, etc. would all be welcome.

We'll see. E3 shall be interesting this year.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#60 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

They are just so loathe to do functional firmware updates on the Wii. Short of that I just don't see any way to carry over the VC. If they do it however.. that's a big + in their column. I think VC sales would spike up just at the announcement.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler