There should be a thread on FX's Archer...

dothog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Surprised it doesn't exist already.

After this last episode, if I ran this show I'd extend it to 40 mins and run it as "The Barry and Pam Power Hour." The "allergic to getting on trains" followed by "Other" Barry's aside is about as smooth as it gets. All of a sudden Barry shows up and wrecks shit.

And Pam's always a champ. All she does is deliver shitsnacks and make it rain waffles.

Its one of my best shows out...especially now that is coupled with unsurprised. Havent missed a single episode.

I never smile. You want a smile, go rent a smile
22.gif

2.tod.gif

Pam is alright but Cheryl/Carol/Judy Greer is the bomb.

I watched the 1st and 2nd seasons on Netflix streaming over the course of maybe 5 days. Is season 3 free on the FX site or Hulu?

[quote name='nasum']Pam is alright but Cheryl/Carol/Judy Greer is the bomb.[/quote]

You're not my supervisor!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see that? That was like like Steve McQueen and John Woo had a baby and that baby was you, baby.

At first I didn't care for the resolution of the Barry situation (i.e. cyborg love), but so long as they keep up Barry as Archer's evil best buddy, I'm buying. Barry's "Let's get it on, brutha!" was as sincere and fun lovin' as Archer's dejected "Maybe next time, sorry" was sincere and pathetic. Those two crazy kids.

Barry's just a goofy half-man, half-cyborg out there livin and lovin life, I really like how he's emerged as the natural flipside to Archer, each a side of the same violent, over-confident, irresponsible, self-obsessed, sociopathic coin. It was well-done.

Plus, the voice behind Barry absolutely killed it this season, and I just learned that he's MEATWAD. Usually I can spot a voice but that one snuck up on me.

the girlfriend watched the 1st season over two days and is already rattling off Archer quotes.

When's the 3rd season coming out on DVD, and more importantly, when's the 3rd season getting posted to Netflix Instant? I'm gonna watch the shit out of those S3 Barry episodes.

I'm also eager to hear Bryan Cranston's "danger zone" line reading one more time.

Third season went to DVD/Bluray a few weeks ago, and is now live on Netflix. You can also watch the "Heart of Archness" episodes, which linked seasons 2 and 3.

Fourth season has been more of the same, but I don't count this as a bad thing at all.

It's been okay this season, right? I might be alone in this, but I liked the Ron Cadillac episode. And I liked Ray getting his legs back. Otherwise they're just churning along, not bad but not great.

I'm not sure where they're going with Barry/Katya, but I'll hang in there and check it out.

Recently started watching this. And by recently, I mean watched 3 seasons this weekend. In my opinion, it's the second funniest show on TV, second to only Futurama.

Also, Krieger is the funniest character, hands down. He's rarely around, but it's quality over quantity. :)

Recently started watching as well. My girlfriend got the first three seasons on DVD and we plowed through those and then got caught up on Season 4 which I was DVRing while we got caught up. We both love the show. Season 4 hasn't been quite as funny as the first 3, but still lots of laughs.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about Season 4. It's okay, it's just tougher for the writers because there's less side-character stories to chart, in Season 3 they could extend Cheryl/Carol, Pam, and Cyril's stories a bit and they had depth to them. But now they can't return to that -- or they could, but they'd be getting greedy and they know it. Hence the sudden appearance of Ron Cadillac and the guy behind the service window at the ISIS Armory.

I like that they're trying new stuff in small ways. They also have the luxury of not needing to produce shitloads of episodes, which really wears you down. I think the show can be good (or "okay" relative to its best seasons, which is pretty good in general) as long as it wants to. I'm not sure about Katya/Barry, but we'll see, one thing I like about keeping the KGB in the picture is that the Russian "buddy" guy from Frisky Dingo is around. Love that dude.

I guess I feel like I don't need the show to be more than it is. It's about crass assholes in shitty situations. The fact that we're four seasons in and that everyone manages to remain an individual personality is enough for me, because by now writers will stop catering to those personas and just assign out dialogue lines round robin until the credits roll. I'll concede some lines can be switched between characters and no one would really know the difference, but it's not sitcom levels of bullshit yet where everyone is a total smartass with one liner retorts at meme level.

I wouldn't have a problem with them fleshing out characters more. Woodhouse went from feeble old valet to total fucking badass, as did Pam. Cheryl/Carol got a slight Tunt bump, and we continue to see Archer's spiraling madness opposite his equally crazed mom. Barry is as one dimensional as the show gets, and the only one approaching an overused running gag. Outside of him and the one-off characters, I'd say there's more development than people are giving credit for.

It doesn't aspire to be anything more than it isn't, and I appreciate that kind of understanding. Maybe the show will mature here and there (it's done a little already), or maybe it'll stay the fun jovial mindless romp it is. I can live with that since there's so little else on TV I like.

[quote name='Strell']Barry is as one dimensional as the show gets, and the only one approaching an overused running gag.[/QUOTE]

Only thing I disagree with there. I think Barry -- up through the end of S3 -- was a really smart character. They took the time to set him up, both as 1) someone in the Archer mold but in different circumstances and 2) someone with a legitimate (and funny) motivation to become Archer's nemesis. Barry killing then nailing Katya felt "right" in this grand parade of self-obsessed assholes.

After all of that, up through where we are in S4, I agree that he's 1D. He's effectively done what he set out to do. But they may turn things a bit, maybe the dynamic between he and Katya will change and they'll give Barry and Other Barry more adventures.

I hope so, his voice (again, that's MEATBALL) is my favorite on the show next to Russian Buddy.

I wouldn't think it would matter, but the mansion setting to me is just not the same as ISIS. I liked the ridiculous office like banter between the employees. Lana's pregnancy and even the Pam cocaine addiction are starting to feel dull to me. Krieger has actually had the best lines for me this season. I also find Ray getting paralyzed repeatedly way more humorous than it ought to be.

Yeah, this season is still good, but not as good as the previous ones.

Chozen that comes on right after has probably been funnier so far.

Sorta feels like they're rebooting the series with this season.

And I don't like how they are explaining every joke they tell. Explaining jokes usually makes them unfunny. That's like Humor 101.

Last night's episode was by far the funniest this season.

Also, the creators have stated that they're going to move away from Archer Vice and back to the spy stuff next season. While this season isn't the greatest, I really like the departure and the creators' experimentation. It certainly wasn't an unwelcome change.

Just starting archer 2 weeks ago and I love it. A co workers hooked me up with the first four seasons about or 3 months ago and I started watching them 2 weeks ago. Im already caught up to the latest episode of season 5. I can't believe I'm just now getting into this show..but when you have kids that occupy all the tv's in the house..shit happens.

bread's done
Back