[PS Vita] Motorstorm RC - Free for Vita 03/06/12

smthng

CAGiversary!
Motorstorm RC is now going to be free for the Vita (possibly for a limited time). Snag it when it drops tomorrow (March 6th). PS3 version will allow crossplay and will be $10 or $7.50 for Plus members.

I'm really looking forward to this one. Sony just sweetened the pot by giving me some competitors who might not otherwise have paid for it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...riving-to-ps-vita-for-free-courtesy-of-scion/

6947825871_e0464c5711_z.jpg

Update - Brief description for PS3 version was just posted on the blog: High-speed radio-controlled car racing hits the MotorStorm circuit in MotorStorm RC! With visually stunning renditions of all four MotorStorm worlds (and eight of their vehicle classes,) this RC racing game comes loaded with endless competition that you can share with friends and rivals worldwide — whether that’s on PS3 or PS Vita, or both!

6384375383_7b99217bb3_z-168x300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused- i thought they had previously announced that if you bought either the PS3 or Vita version of this game that you were going to get the other one for free. I was excited because I planned on buying both and was going to save some money. It doesn't make any difference - 2 games, 1 price. I'm just a bit confused by it I guess.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm confused- i thought they had previously announced that if you bought either the PS3 or Vita version of this game that you were going to get the other one for free. I was excited because I planned on buying both and was going to save some money. It doesn't make any difference - 2 games, 1 price. I'm just a bit confused by it I guess.[/QUOTE]

That may eventually be the case, but currently the Vita version is free because of Scion.

Considering it was going to be $9.99 for both at release originally, it's essentially the same deal.

I think they've just changed it so that everyone can get the Vita version at no cost (although I suspect that will be for a limited time only). In essence, Vita version is free, PS3 version is $10/$7.50 if you want it. Crossplay between the two no matter what.

Honestly, I'm such a rabid Stormer that I would have bought it regardless.

[quote name='SynGamer']I thought this didn't have online multiplayer? Either way, SOLD![/QUOTE]

I think it only has online leaderboards but I could be wrong.

Nope, I think you're right... my bad. That was stuck in my head from looking up Hustle Kings earlier. I'm pretty sure the Vita version only does scorechasing.

I haven't seen ANYTHING about the PS3 version. It'd be nice if it does some additional kind of matchups or smthng. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Still, free is free, not going to complain. It may actually spur me to pick up the PS3 version if there is some sort of multiplayer.

Since they originally said that the Vita version included the PS3 version(and the reverse), I wonder if the free one nets us both copies. I seriously doubt it though, like someone said above it seems they redid the promo. I believe the crossplay just consists of them tracking your progress and track times on the server and allowing you to pick up where you left off when you switch systems.

I didn't even know there was going to be a PS3 version. I thought this game was Vita only. I'll probably pick up the PS3 version too. I can only assume the game will play better on my big HDTV.

Normally not big on corporate shillery, but....thank you Scion! Between giving me a free video game, and releasing the FR-S later this year, you're giving me a reason to start liking Toyota again.

This is an excellent deal. I was going to try out the game before buying it and, for me, this serves as a great way to demo the product. If this turns out to be any fun I'll be buying the PS3 version for sure. If not, I still get a free game out of it for my new Vita. Win-win for everyone :)

[quote name='Hiei69']I was going to buy this, but hey, thank you Toyota/Scion. Vita Ambassador games![/QUOTE]

Haha, nice way to put it.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm confused- i thought they had previously announced that if you bought either the PS3 or Vita version of this game that you were going to get the other one for free. I was excited because I planned on buying both and was going to save some money. It doesn't make any difference - 2 games, 1 price. I'm just a bit confused by it I guess.[/QUOTE]

It still is, for Europe. If you buy one version it works for both system. However for US only Vita version is free

[quote name='62t']It still is, for Europe. If you buy one version it works for both system. However for US only Vita version is free[/QUOTE]

The original blog post says "for a limited time". I'm pretty sure when the time is up, it'll revert to "buy one, get both". Before then, it's just a bonus for anyone who wasn't already sure they were going to buy it... they get the Vita version free.

For everyone who was going to buy it anyway, we get the extra a car, a Scion.

Just adding this because a lot of peeps seem confused or even vaguely offended by the whole "free" thing (which makes no sense to me at all)...

If you read the Sony replies to the comments on the original blog post about the Vita version being free, the Sony mod stated:

"Rest assured that no matter when you purchase the PS3 version of MotorStorm RC, you will be entitled to the VITA version for free. We will discuss further details when the Scion giveaway ends."

So, you can get the Vita version with Scion bits for free now. If you want the PS3 version, you pay for it. If you pay for the PS3 version, you'll always have the Vita version available, even when the Scion offer is over.

Got it started, along with the PS3 version... taking forever, but I bumped it to the top of my "queue"... A ton of stuff dropped this week that I've been waiting for. My PS3 will be downloading all night. :S

Cool downloading now. Wish it was a real motorstorm game on the go but oh well. I hope they port pacific rift or something that was my favorite

I'm really enjoying this game, I tried to put it down and go to bed but I found myself saying "one more race". I really not good with the controls, and not sure if I like the normal or alternate steering better.

I forced myself to put it down last night after I'd beaten you an Syn on the first track. :p

I'm busy over the next couple days, but I'll get on it.

I fired up the PS3 version this morning to see what sync... You have to redo the tutorial, but otherwise everything is there. The controls are slightly different (R2/L2 instead of right stick for gas and brake). However, the first thing I noticed was that it prompted me for 3D... going to have to check it out at some point, but I can't see it making a big difference since it's kind of a top-down view.

I prefer regular...but I feel like the controls aren't...sensitive enough? I always find myself taking the turns wide if I don't let off slightly.

[quote name='smthng']I forced myself to put it down last night after I'd beaten you an Syn on the first track. :p[/QUOTE]

It took me like 4 attempts to be you guys, and when I did it was barely. We're talking 0.020 seconds. Now I have to improve that??? Bastard! :p

I'm constantly smashing into walls...I have a problem with not letting up on the gas, I'm always full throttle. I did all my races last night in "alternative mode". Next time I'll try with normal controls. Once we get used to the controls, I have a feeling will be beating each by thousandths of a second.

The say the game is easy for anyone to play, but hard to master. I don't care that the game doesn't have online mode. Seeing the ghosts and racing against your friends time is great. I never have to be online and set up a time with anyone, just pick up and play.

[quote name='SynGamer']I prefer regular...but I feel like the controls aren't...sensitive enough? I always find myself taking the turns wide if I don't let off slightly.[/QUOTE]

Ok... I'm playing the nerd card here. I have a couple RC cars, and I do occasionally race them, sometimes on a real track. Someone who designed the physics is at least somewhat familiar with real RC cars... they're not as easy to handle as they look. I've got a Rustler with a brushless motor that can hit about 70 mph... Even on an empty paved parking lot, it'll drift or spin if I don't let off on the slightest turn. I think the game physics are a bit exagerated, but any decent RC vehicle is going to run wide if it's got any kind of decent motor. They're feather weight and can put out gobs of power. I'm sure we'll get used to it, or eventually unlock slightly stickier cars.

It took me like 4 attempts to be you guys, and when I did it was barely. We're talking 0.020 seconds. Now I have to improve that??? Bastard! :p

:p

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a friend who's ahead of me by FOUR SECONDS on that track. :(

I will send you some friend invites so I can have some decent ghost times to race against... my psn is minorthreat, add me to your list if you dont mind, thnx!

Now that it's out, here's some more interesting stuff I found digging around...

Trophies for the two versions appear to be tracked separately for PS3 and Vita versions... I have different percentages of trophies on each version.
There looks like there will probably two additional "add-on" packs... they show up under the Vita trophy list if you look in the trophies app. Haven't checked the PS3 version yet.

MRCTrophy1.jpg
MRCTrophy2.jpg
MRCTrophy3.jpg
MRCTrophy4.jpg

There also appear to be named "tricks" or smthng. I've found two on the playground.

MRCTrick1.jpg

MRCTrick2.jpg

Has anyone found any other "tricks"?

Has anyone yet figured out how to unlock the other portions of the playground?
Next to the entrance of each "area" of the playground is a sign with a number on it. That's how many medals you have to have to unlock that area.

My tip is to use regular controls, switch steering to the dpad, and switch accel to X. Fixed the controls for me. Loving this game.

[quote name='SynGamer']For "tricks" if you go through the basketball hoop, it pops something up.[/QUOTE]

Was just messing around trying to see if there was a number cap on the hoop, got up to ten and a pop-up appeared that said secret car unlocked.

It's a basketball car called DUNK in Supermini.
:bouncy:

EDIT:

20 gets you a football car called Patriot Touchdown.

[quote name='smthng']Now that it's out, here's some more interesting stuff I found digging around...

Trophies for the two versions appear to be tracked separately for PS3 and Vita versions... I have different percentages of trophies on each version.
There looks like there will probably two additional "add-on" packs... they show up under the Vita trophy list if you look in the trophies app. Haven't checked the PS3 version yet.

MRCTrophy1.jpg
MRCTrophy2.jpg
MRCTrophy3.jpg
MRCTrophy4.jpg

There also appear to be named "tricks" or smthng. I've found two on the playground.

MRCTrick1.jpg

MRCTrick2.jpg

Has anyone found any other "tricks"?

Has anyone yet figured out how to unlock the other portions of the playground?
Next to the entrance of each "area" of the playground is a sign with a number on it. That's how many medals you have to have to unlock that area.[/QUOTE]

Found two others.

Transfer: Jump up the ramp in the soccer area and land in the other section.

Goal: Self explanatory.

10 goals get you a secret vehicle, 20 does also.

[quote name='SynGamer']For "tricks" if you go through the basketball hoop, it pops something up.[/QUOTE]

Was just messing around trying to see if there was a number cap on the hoop, got up to ten and a pop-up appeared that said secret car unlocked.

20 gets you another secret vehicle.

Got this for free earlier, just did the free promotion but cancelled the download before it started as it'll be in my download history anyways. Question though, anyone know how long it'll be on sale for $7 and change? I'm a PSN+ member and am thinking of getting the bundle of both versions now just so I won't have to wait later on and regret not getting it while it was on sale.

Hey guys. Anyone can feel free to add me as well.. It's nice to actually have some times to shoot for om this.

Really loving the game so far. Used to love RC Pro AM when I was a kid.

I'm loving this game. This is how RC cars should drive. Their power to weight ratio is off the roof, so they'll be propelling out of control if you don't ease off the throttle.

Feel free to add me on PSN: DuyNgn

Send me a message or something so I know you're a fellow CAG.

BTW, there's a patch out. Description says it fixes minor network and playability issues. You'll need to snag it before you can sign in to the leaderboards again.

[quote name='gkrykewy']My tip is to use regular controls, switch steering to the dpad, and switch accel to X. Fixed the controls for me. Loving this game.[/QUOTE]

This.

I was not liking this game one bit despite it being free, but changing the controls has made this addictive as all get out. Well done Sony & Scion!

OK, so I think I figured out how to patch games. First you have to click the icon to download the patch, wait for patch to download, then you have to hit that same icon to apply/install patch?

bread's done
Back