Photo
- - - - -

New iPad announced, iPad 2 dropping to $399 (16gb wifi)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#91 lilman

lilman

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Anyone have their new iPad get really hot? I've been reading it really heats up more than the previous versions, especially in the corner.

I left mine playing a video at full brightness (trying to fix yellow tint in a corner, didn't work) and it got crazy hot. Even the entire front was hot. The double sized battery + new processor are forces to be reckoned with.

During normal use though (web browsing, email, playing IB2) the temp seems fine.

-Update-
Actually, it does get hot playing IB2. Played for 20mins at about 40% brightness and could feel parts of the screen heating up.

Edited by lilman, 20 March 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#92 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Interesting that they're calling this a "record setting launch weekend":

http://www.appleinsi...ch_weekend.html

I didn't pre-order, so I expected to wait for weeks. But I was able to walk into Best Buy on Saturday afternoon and buy mine without any difficulty. All of the local Apple Stores still had it in stock too. I was wondering whether that meant that it didn't sell well, but I guess not?

I wonder if that means they were able to increase production enough to keep up with demand this time around.

#93 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

http://www.appleinsi...han_ipad_2.html

Holy crap - 116 degrees?!?!?

http://www.appleinsi...s_new_ipad.html

116 degrees is crazy! And well outside of Apple's specified upper limit operating range of 95 degrees. I wonder if/how they'll respond?

#94 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

My iPad gets warm, but not uncomfortably hot.
3DS: AC New Leaf | PSV:Resistance/Black Ops/MGS 3 SE | PS4: Ghosts/Killzone | Wii U: SC: Blacklist | PS3: TWD S2 | Xbox360: GoWJ | Xbox1: DR3

...*I* am said douche (as if y'all didn't know)...

I just had sex with my mom and she gave me flowers

#95 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hey guys. Does anyone know how to sync the calendar on your iPhone to your iPad? I tried everything I could see in the setting of both devices and it's just not working. Even when I add a new event it's not showing up on my iPad calendar. My wife's iPhone calendar showed up on her iPad immediately So needless to say its frustrating. Haha

Any help is appreciated.

#96 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hey guys. Does anyone know how to sync the calendar on your iPhone to your iPad? I tried everything I could see in the setting of both devices and it's just not working. Even when I add a new event it's not showing up on my iPad calendar. My wife's iPhone calendar showed up on her iPad immediately So needless to say its frustrating. Haha

Any help is appreciated.

Have you set up an iCloud account yet? Your best bet is to set up iCloud on both devices, and make sure that you have calendar syncing turned on in the iCloud preferences on both of them. Should be automatic after that.

#97 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Have you set up an iCloud account yet? Your best bet is to set up iCloud on both devices, and make sure that you have calendar syncing turned on in the iCloud preferences on both of them. Should be automatic after that.

Yup. Did all this. But it gets weird.

These things all synced: contacts, photo stream, bookmarks.

These did not: mail, calendar, reminders.

Doesn't make any sense.

#98 aerotive

aerotive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Not new but new to me, you can scrub audio with more control by moving your finger down and away from the timeline--the farther you get, the finer the control.

Also anyone who misses Adblock (like me) you can install Privoxy on a computer and then set Safari on the ipad to use it as a proxy. Requires you to have an always-on computer and the setup is a pain in the ass. It can also run on some routers.

#99 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yup. Did all this. But it gets weird.

These things all synced: contacts, photo stream, bookmarks.

These did not: mail, calendar, reminders.

Doesn't make any sense.

You should be able to specify what you want to sync, and what you don't, by going to Settings>iCloud. There you can turn on/off what you need to be synched.
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#100 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

You should be able to specify what you want to sync, and what you don't, by going to Settings>iCloud. There you can turn on/off what you need to be synched.

I know. I have it all turned to on except Notes yet only half of the items are syncing.

#101 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

Just to make sure, you have your calendar on your iPhone synced to the cloud, right? Also, do you have more than one calendar? I keep my personal and work separate so I have to add two accounts, one iCloud and one outlook.

#102 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Just to make sure, you have your calendar on your iPhone synced to the cloud, right? Also, do you have more than one calendar? I keep my personal and work separate so I have to add two accounts, one iCloud and one outlook.

I figured it out. I just needed to actually set up my email on the iPad. Stupid hold up. Thanks for all the help though.

#103 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

My brother bought an iPad 3, his first Apple product of any kind. So far he (they) like it a lot. He has a young daughter and even younger son. I wouldn't mind some recommendations of games or apps for young kids as our kids are older and I never put any thought into it before. :)

#104 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Atomic Web Browser is 99 cents, and has ad-block, full-screen browsing, and a number of other features that Safari is missing. I've been using it on my iPhone (it's universal, so if you have multiple iOS devices, you can install it on all of them) for over a year now, and for the most part it's been awesome. The main unfortunate thing about it is that there's no way to set it as a default, so Safari will still come up whenever another app launches a browser. Other than that, though, it's well worthwhile.

http://appshopper.co...mic-web-browser

I have to take back my recommendation for Atomic Web Browser for now, at least for the new iPad. I was trying to use it yesterday to do research, and it kept crashing on me every few minutes until I finally gave up on it. Works fine on my iPhone, but until they work out whatever bugs it has with the new iPad, it's probably best to avoid it.

That being said, I installed Mercury Web Browser, which is nearly as good (has at least most of the same features, including ad block and full screen browsing, I just like the Atomic interface a bit better), and was able to use it without any problems. So that may be the better option for now.

#105 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have to take back my recommendation for Atomic Web Browser for now, at least for the new iPad. I was trying to use it yesterday to do research, and it kept crashing on me every few minutes until I finally gave up on it. Works fine on my iPhone, but until they work out whatever bugs it has with the new iPad, it's probably best to avoid it.

That being said, I installed Mercury Web Browser, which is nearly as good (has at least most of the same features, including ad block and full screen browsing, I just like the Atomic interface a bit better), and was able to use it without any problems. So that may be the better option for now.

That's odd as I have been using it on my new ipad since it arrived on Saturday and have yet to have a single crash.
3DS: AC New Leaf | PSV:Resistance/Black Ops/MGS 3 SE | PS4: Ghosts/Killzone | Wii U: SC: Blacklist | PS3: TWD S2 | Xbox360: GoWJ | Xbox1: DR3

#106 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

That's odd as I have been using it on my new ipad since it arrived on Saturday and have yet to have a single crash.

Huh, weird. I tried closing the program completely, and even a hard reset of the iPad, and it was still a problem. I had a bunch of tabs open (well, 5 or 6) most of the time, so maybe that's the difference?

#107 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

My main problem with Atomic web browser is I could not get Safari's (on Mac) bookmarks into it. It might have been that it imported them, but they were messed up. I can't remember now. Maybe I should try it again. iCab was able to import them, but that browser is weird.

#108 bigant262

bigant262

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Whats the best case for the new iPad? Anyone have any recommendations? Also, I'm thinking of getting a stylus to draw on the iPad, any recommendations for that also?

#109 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Anyone have an essential app list or how I can maximize my iPads potential. Like papers or magazines I should have or anything else? Thanks

#110 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

Whats the best case for the new iPad? Anyone have any recommendations? Also, I'm thinking of getting a stylus to draw on the iPad, any recommendations for that also?

I'm on a hunt for a good stylus, too. I ordered the amazonbasics stylus, it arrived at the office on Friday after I left but I'll get it tomorrow when I go in. As far as the case; I ordered the modulr case http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details simply for the fact that it has the strap in the rear that'll allow me to hold onto it as I read it on the bus on the commute to work. I also have the Kensington keyboard case, which I also love because the keyboard is held by magnets and slides out when I don't need it. The iPad can be stood at any angle for viewing, browsing or reading.

#111 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I picked up this sleeve at Five Below for $5 the other day:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004VD8XFG/

It's a really good brand (I have a messenger bag by them that was a lot more expensive), and it's really good quality. The new iPad fits perfectly, and it feels well protected. They had a fair number of them at the store here. If you happen to live near a Five Below, it's worth checking out. I combined it with an Apple Smart Cover and I feel pretty much good to go.

I also picked up a stylus (some generic brand) while I was there, but I'll be perfectly honest that I wouldn't recommend it at all. I mean, it works, but it's got a flimsy rubber tip that's easy to press in, and then a very sharp-edged metal tube. I have visions of it accidentally getting pressed in and the tube scratching the screen. So I'm not using it, and since Five Below has an "all sales final" policy, I can't even return it. Pretty annoyed about that.

I've read some good reviews of the Wacom Bamboo stylus, but it's awfully expensive. Not sure whether I'd use it enough to justify it.

#112 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I have the bamboo stylus. It seems ok. I don't use it much though as my handwriting is terrible as is, so it's really tough to write on a capacitive touch screen for me.

#113 lilman

lilman

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Favorite stylus is BoxWave: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000BUI76S/
The tip is awesome and doesn't break (a common complaint of other styli). I can't believe it's $8 now, I payed $22 a year ago.

#114 bigant262

bigant262

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Favorite stylus is BoxWave: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000BUI76S/
The tip is awesome and doesn't break (a common complaint of other styli). I can't believe it's $8 now, I payed $22 a year ago.

Yea, I just bought this yesterday. Should be here tomorrow. How is it for drawing?

#115 aerotive

aerotive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Anyone have an essential app list or how I can maximize my iPads potential. Like papers or magazines I should have or anything else? Thanks

There's a good thread about this over on metafilter:

http://ask.metafilte...99/Pimp-my-iPad

...I posted a few recommendations there too.

#116 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Thanks. Do you use RSS? I know nothing about it and might be interested. One of the things I've never checked out.

#117 bigant262

bigant262

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

Whats the best browser that supports Flash? If any.

#118 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

Supposedly photon flash browser is the best.

#119 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Is there a version of this page that is actually readable by humans? ;)

#120 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Anyone using Instapaper for iPad? Is there a way to save things you read in the browser or on pulse on it? Or is it just what you find searching in Instapaper itself?