Best Tablet?

mr_burnzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm looking into a tablet cuz the wife is bugging me for one. All of a sudden she wants the kindle fire so she can read (she's not a heavy reader). But I don't want to settle on a e-reader, I want something that has it all. The most important features to me are a VERY high quality screen and size, expandable memory, hdmi port, must be able to load all websites and the ability to modify to dual boot. I saw this sony tablet that had a DS3 hooked up to it (awesome). I want to do something like that (play games/emulators on a tablet with a DS3) but didn't like that tablet very much. I heard the ipad 3 is out but I don't think it meets my criteria. Any suggestions or opinions? Budget is probably 400 and main things I'll be doing are netflix, youtube and e-reading. Thanks.

For reading I'd recommend an e-ink Kindle over a tablet. e-ink is the way to go for reading. It's not good for much else, but if the main use is reading, you absolutely can not beat it.

But he wants websurfing and netflix to so e-ink won't work for his needs.

I can't help you as I don't know of any tablets that do all that off hand--sounds like you're more after a tablet PC rather than a pure Tablet like the iPad or Samsung Galaxy tab etc.

In terms of very high screen quality, the new iPad is the only thing that has anything better than a pretty standard quality screen.

I have an iPad 2 and love it, but I don't have any of those needs in terms of expandable memory, dual booting etc. I just use it to read PDFs and newspapers/magazines, surf the net, check e-mail etc.

[quote name='crunchewy']For reading I'd recommend an e-ink Kindle over a tablet. e-ink is the way to go for reading. It's not good for much else, but if the main use is reading, you absolutely can not beat it.[/QUOTE]

I'd honestly never buy anything e-ink. They're just terrible looking. I got a low rent literati on sale for $50 at Kohl's last year and completely love the full color backlit lcd display. It reads ePub format, even comics in pdf format, and my library on the unit has 600+ novels currently.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you guys tell me what tablet you own and why you chose that particular one? So many options to choose from and just unsure which direction to go.

As noted, I also have the iPad 2.

I went with it over the competition for 2 primary reasons.

1. App selection. Over 100,000 iPad apps, where as there's only a few hundred tablet-specific Android apps.

2. Form factory and battery life. I love how slim and light it is, and nothing has beat it's 10 hour battery life yet.

But it definitely doesn't do the other stuff you want in terms of expandable memory, being able to dual boot OS's etc.

asus transformer, used for mostly games, twitter, web... nothing to hard-core. no complaints for me, but I havent used anything else really. and Im not an apple fan.

I do like the fact that I can 'network' it with all my music, pics, videos from my PC. I watch movies/shows from my external harddrive without having to transfer any files. Nice when your at home, which is where I use mine mostly.

I have an HP Touchpad, which won't really help you anymore but it does allow me to offer some advice: If you're using it to read, weight should be one of your primary concerns. At 26oz it's just too heavy to hold in a reading position for an extended period. Try to get something at least under 20oz.

The new iPad weight 1.46 pounds, iPad 2 was about the same (1.3 something I think). I don't find it too heavy to read on. But I don't sit and hold stuff in from of my face to read either. Be it my iPad, my Kindle or a paper book, if I'm sitting up it's resting on my lap, laying down it's resting on my chest.

I have a post from a few months ago about my thoughts on the iPad2, HP Touchpad and Asus Transformer which all of them I owned at the time. I'll try to find that and update it with some further information.

Here we go:

Here is a quick rundown of different tablets I owned at the time in the Touchpad Sale thread. Some things have changed and I'll elaborate further after the list.

Apple iPad 2
Probably the most known and most used tablet out on the market. Has a huge development force behind it and is a relatively secure/stable platform. Anything you want to do or to use the tablet for, you can. They aren't kidding with their tag line for iOS devices "There's an app for that." The screen is bright and just beautiful. Touch is responsive and exactly what you expect.

The biggest complaints I have with the damn thing is the inability to use Flash on the web and the fact it is locked down so much natively. Flash is just a big killer for using it for web browsing. On the locked down, it's pretty bad but jailbreaking allows you to take almost complete control of the device. All my iOS devices are jailbroken and they stay that way as I have grown accustomed to the freedom and features it gives me.

ASUS Transformer
The Android tablet interface is very good and it leaves a lot of things open for customization and installation without the need to root or install a custom rom for your device. The touch interface is good and intuitive. Has a nice flow to it and I feel is better than the iPad in that regard. The device itself seams sturdily built and with the addition of the keyboard dock (which I do have) gives you more options than just short bursts of typing. It also makes using remote desktop apps much easier since it has the keyboard and mouse and the ability to use a standard wireless mouse with the dock is outstanding. With the dock it looks just like a netbook, a little back heavy so the balance is off but not a huge issue. I do understand that at the particular point you might as well have a netbook but you can't take just the screen off of a netbook and use it that way.

My major complaints with the device are the fractured market and the security problems with the Android OS. The fractured market is a result of google handing over too much control to the hardware manufacturers for the OS build and updating. The same reasoning is behind the security problems with the Android platform, too much is open and too much customization between the hardware manufacturers on the OS. Google needs to set minimum hardware specs for their platform and be in charge of the system updates, not the manufacturers

HP Touchpad
The hardware in general is very good, and the price at which it was acquired is really a big draw on the device. Once you get your hands on it, it has even more. The web browsing for this particular device is the best out of any of the tablets. No contest really, it is the best web browsing tablet out of the ones I own. After disabling the logging options built into the OS and doing a couple other homebrew modifications the thing is speedy as shit. Actually the fastest and most responsive tablet I own. Video, ebooks and comics are a blast on the touchpad. I prefer the Touchpad for my comic reading currently with the iPad being 2nd after being recommended Comic Flow.

My complaints with this is the default optimization of the device by HP, the construction of the device, and the lack of applications. As most of you were aware once getting your touchpad the thing was slow. Even after the update, which did help, it was still a bit sluggish. The fact we had to go through the homebrew sections to get this thing to the speed it is capable of is a bit ridiculous. The device also feels like it was designed on the cheap and just doesn't feel sturdy. Maybe it's just me after dealing with the other 2 devices, but the construction seems sub-par. The biggest problem any touchpad owner faces is the lack of applications and support for WebOS. WebOS is probably the best and most intuitive interface out there for tablets, however with the hardware it's on being end of lifed and no clear future for the development usage not a lot of people jumping on the WebOS wagon to develop for it. Even with the influx of Touchpad owners, WebOS has maybe 1-2% share of mobile devices. Not a lot of incentive there.

I no longer have the iPad 2 as it was no longer necessary for what I was wanting. The same goes for the HP Touchpad. I got rid of mine before the advent of the Android install for the device. My primary and only tablet at this point is the Asus Transformer (First Model). With the ICS update it really stabilized the speed and performance of the device. I read comics and eBooks all the time. I have 32GB model with a 32GB card in it. One thing of note for all of these devices is the fact they are a little heavier than what you would want for extended periods. If it's going to be a lot of reading I would recommend possibly looking into the 7-inch tablets. They have a decent screen ratio and the lighter build makes extended reading periods easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a quick rundown of different tabltes I owned at the time in the Touchpad Sale thread. Some things have changed and I'll elaborate further after the list.

Apple iPad 2
Probably the most known and most used tablet out on the market. Has a huge development force behind it and is a relatively secure/stable platform. Anything you want to do or to use the tablet for, you can. They aren't kidding with their tag line for iOS devices "There's an app for that." The screen is bright and just beautiful. Touch is responsive and exactly what you expect.

The biggest complaints I have with the damn thing is the inability to use Flash on the web and the fact it is locked down so much natively. Flash is just a big killer for using it for web browsing. On the locked down, it's pretty bad but jailbreaking allows you to take almost complete control of the device. All my iOS devices are jailbroken and they stay that way as I have grown accustomed to the freedom and features it gives me.

ASUS Transformer
The Android tablet interface is very good and it leaves a lot of things open for customization and installation without the need to root or install a custom rom for your device. The touch interface is good and intuitive. Has a nice flow to it and I feel is better than the iPad in that regard. The device itself seams sturdily built and with the addition of the keyboard dock (which I do have) gives you more options than just short bursts of typing. It also makes using remote desktop apps much easier since it has the keyboard and mouse and the ability to use a standard wireless mouse with the dock is outstanding. With the dock it looks just like a netbook, a little back heavy so the balance is off but not a huge issue. I do understand that at the particular point you might as well have a netbook but you can't take just the screen off of a netbook and use it that way.

My major complaints with the device are the fractured market and the security problems with the Android OS. The fractured market is a result of google handing over too much control to the hardware manufacturers for the OS build and updating. The same reasoning is behind the security problems with the Android platform, too much is open and too much customization between the hardware manufacturers on the OS. Google needs to set minimum hardware specs for their platform and be in charge of the system updates, not the manufacturers

HP Touchpad
The hardware in general is very good, and the price at which it was acquired is really a big draw on the device. Once you get your hands on it, it has even more. The web browsing for this particular device is the best out of any of the tablets. No contest really, it is the best web browsing tablet out of the ones I own. After disabling the logging options built into the OS and doing a couple other homebrew modifications the thing is speedy as shit. Actually the fastest and most responsive tablet I own. Video, ebooks and comics are a blast on the touchpad. I prefer the Touchpad for my comic reading currently with the iPad being 2nd after being recommended Comic Flow.

My complaints with this is the default optimization of the device by HP, the construction of the device, and the lack of applications. As most of you were aware once getting your touchpad the thing was slow. Even after the update, which did help, it was still a bit sluggish. The fact we had to go through the homebrew sections to get this thing to the speed it is capable of is a bit ridiculous. The device also feels like it was designed on the cheap and just doesn't feel sturdy. Maybe it's just me after dealing with the other 2 devices, but the construction seems sub-par. The biggest problem any touchpad owner faces is the lack of applications and support for WebOS. WebOS is probably the best and most intuitive interface out there for tablets, however with the hardware it's on being end of lifed and no clear future for the development usage not a lot of people jumping on the WebOS wagon to develop for it. Even with the influx of Touchpad owners, WebOS has maybe 1-2% share of mobile devices. Not a lot of incentive there.

I no longer have the iPad 2 as it was no longer necessary for what I was wanting. The same goes for the HP Touchpad. I got rid of mine before the advent of the Android install for the device. My primary and only tablet at this point is the Asus Transformer (First Model). With the ICS update it really stabilized the speed and performance of the device. I read comics and eBooks all the time. I have 32GB model with a 32GB card in it. One thing of note for all of these devices is the fact they are a little heavier than what you would want for extended periods. If it's going to be a lot of reading I would recommend possibly looking into the 7-inch tablets. They have a decent screen ratio and the lighter build makes extended reading periods easier.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I'm looking into a tablet cuz the wife is bugging me for one. All of a sudden she wants the kindle fire so she can read (she's not a heavy reader). But I don't want to settle on a e-reader, I want something that has it all. The most important features to me are a VERY high quality screen and size, expandable memory, hdmi port, must be able to load all websites and the ability to modify to dual boot. I saw this sony tablet that had a DS3 hooked up to it (awesome). I want to do something like that (play games/emulators on a tablet with a DS3) but didn't like that tablet very much. I heard the ipad 3 is out but I don't think it meets my criteria. Any suggestions or opinions? Budget is probably 400 and main things I'll be doing are netflix, youtube and e-reading. Thanks.[/QUOTE]What 2 things do you want to boot?

I have a Motorola Xoom. It is pretty cool. You can get emulators for snes, gba and psx. It has pretty much everything you would need from a tablet. You can get it for less thant $400 on ebay. I got mine for $325 some months ago.

The Asus Transformer 1 now has Android 4.0 ICS on it. I have not used a DS3, but I can confirm that I can sync a wii remote by bluetooth and I have used it for emulators on android. I have read the DS3 can also work with the Asus transformer as well. Bought it on black Friday fire sale and have had no regrets.

I own one of the the original Asus Transformers and let me tell you, you don't want a 10 inch tablet for reading. It's not the weight so much as it it the size. A 16:9 ratio 10 inch tablet held vertically is just awkward to hold. I also one a nook Color I use for reading, it's much easier to hold and feels more natural since it's about the size of a paperback. If you want to use it for reading, I'd get a 7 inch tablet.

And actually, I've been trying to find one of the Ainol Nova 7 Aurora tablets. They're cheap tablets from China, but this one actually has good specs. IPS screen, HDMI out, just about everything you can think of. It doesn't have any Google apps installed by default(no market), but those can be added fairly easily. Or you can use something like the Amazon market even. Only thing is, they're hard to find.

Thanks for your input, guys (good looks, JP)! I've read them all carefully and it seems that the ipad 2 or asus transformers are quite nice. I wish I had picked that hp touchpad for 150 awhile back but too late for that now. Ipad2 is at micro center for 360+tax so I may jump on that but the Asus seems like something more up my alley. I like to tinker a bit with the specs and such (overclocking, adding emulators, utilizing DS3, etc.). Can't find anything that says a DS3 will work with ipad2 though. That's kind of a big thing for me as it's pretty awesome to be able to run emulators on a ipad using a DS3. I'd love to see my friend's face when I pull out a DS3 from my pocket and start rocking some snes super street fighter 2 on a ipad!

[quote name='orangecrush']What 2 things do you want to boot?[/QUOTE]

Not exactly sure what I will dual boot but it is something that I want to have so I can play with it. Screwing around with my electronic toys are sometimes more fun than actually using them for what they were made for! I will do some more research but I think I will end up getting that ipad 2...Maybe the Asus. I don't know!

I have

Toshiba Thrive 10.1"
HTC flyer 7"
Kindle Fire
Kindle (cheapest current gen)

My go to tablet is the HTC flyer. It does everything I need in a good looking package.
THe Toshiba Thrive is big... but has hdmi out, accept SDxC card (have a 64GB card in it) and also take USB Flash. You can connect a USB mouse to it and work it. I am sure keyboard too but I haven't tried that. I generally have it docked to play media etc.
It is big and far from sexy if you bring it out among the horde of idevices, but the ribbed back make it easy to hold and the functionality is unmatched.
Kindle Fire is really nice, love it. Lack the full functionality of other tablets but for what it is, awesome. Gave mine to my mom and missing it. I will preorder the next gen Fire when amazon gets to it.
Kindle reader. e-ink rules. I read all my books on it. Easy to hold, light and easy on the eyes).

I love my Toshiba Thrive- like listed above, HDMI, USB full size, SD card slot for memory, I use a moterola bluetooth keyboard and the standard non hdmi cradle. Has one of the best screens, but is kinda big vs. other models. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with no problems from app games to browsing and having multi windows open in firefox and it's own browser. There is still an 8gb model for sale at some places, most seem to be pushing the 16gb model or 32gb- around 400 now for 16

[quote name='Clak']I own one of the the original Asus Transformers and let me tell you, you don't want a 10 inch tablet for reading. It's not the weight so much as it it the size. A 16:9 ratio 10 inch tablet held vertically is just awkward to hold.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I fucking hate 16x9 screens on a tablet. That's one of the big things that made me go with the iPad. Even at 10" a 16x9 screen is just too narrow read on in portrait orientation, and completely worthless for trying to read document sized things (like the PDFs of research articles I'm reading all the time).

The 4x3 screen on the iPad is much better for reading since it's wider in portrait. And the only thing's I do in landscape are web surfing and typing notes in meetings, so I don't mind the screen being narrower that way. I pretty much never watch movies on it (which is the main thing 16x9 is for).

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Thanks for your input, guys (good looks, JP)! I've read them all carefully and it seems that the ipad 2 or asus transformers are quite nice. I wish I had picked that hp touchpad for 150 awhile back but too late for that now. Ipad2 is at micro center for 360+tax so I may jump on that but the Asus seems like something more up my alley. I like to tinker a bit with the specs and such (overclocking, adding emulators, utilizing DS3, etc.). Can't find anything that says a DS3 will work with ipad2 though. That's kind of a big thing for me as it's pretty awesome to be able to run emulators on a ipad using a DS3. I'd love to see my friend's face when I pull out a DS3 from my pocket and start rocking some snes super street fighter 2 on a ipad!
[/QUOTE]

In case you missed it, the iPad 2 prices are dropping with the launch of the new iPad (main upgrades are much higher res screen, option for 4G, and faster graphics chip). 16GB iPad 2 with wifi only (no 3G) will go for $399 now. The new iPad price scheme is the same as the iPad 2's was.

But if you're wanting to due a lot of customizing, overclocking etc. then the iPad isn't your best bet. I'm not a techie at all and hate customizing and tinkering with things, so the iPad was right up my alley as I like things that are just simple to use and streamlined.

I have an Acer tablet and just want to say, go with the iPad. Other tablets really do suck, the recent ones being better though. I'd rather not base my opinion of all non-iPad tablets based on one, but as much as mine's getting more software, the iPad's way ahead. Example being the Facebook app.

I own, use and develop for Android devices - I've used iOS and I don't dislike it, but I can tell you why I prefer Android.

The Best tablet pc lets me do what I want with my devices - rather than what Jobs and Co decide is acceptable. I can develop for Android without having to buy an Apple Computer and using a variety of existing free tools (in an open and reusable language and not Apple's proprietary tools and language).

There's a much wider range of devices on offer - from sub-£100 handsets to 3D devices with multicore processors and NFC! This is a double-edged sword tho - there not being a 'best' device for anyone, really.

Android Tablets aren't much cop however (in fact I'd go on to say there's not one worth it's cost). Developers took to the iPad with huge enthusiasm and produced some genuinely clever stuff but most Android apps are aimed at phones and - at best - 'scaled up a bit'. I don't actually see this changing anytime soon either - the tablets on offer remain 'poor' and 'overpriced' IMO.

Keep your eye on Glyde.com as well, for picking up a tablet - mostly if you go the iPad2 route.

There was a 64GB WiFi model for $350 in "Excellent" condition last Wednesday and I almost pulled the trigger...but at that exact moment, the Apple servers finally let me get my iPad 3 order through. Go figure.

Can definitely get a good price on one if you're patient.

That said, I'm extremely curious about the Asus Transformer Prime, as I was about the original Transformer. That's got a mini-HDMI port and all the other bells and whistles. Wish I could try one out at home for a month without buying it. =)

I'm not an expert (at all) on iOS development, but I believe Objective C is the language of choice, and Objective C is not a "proprietary language", nor was it created by Apple. The development tools are Apple's, but the language is not.

FYI, while the iPad does not have an HDMI port built in, they do offer an adapter that gives you a pass-through dock connector and an HDMI port. It's a little unwieldy, but it works. I believe apps need to support it in order to have 16:9 output as opposed to just mirroring.

Thanks for the tips. That toshiba thrive sounds like a beast! I will be sure to check it out when I get home (can't access a lot at work). Sounds more like a laptop that's crammed into a tablet which is what I am looking for. Too many choices but I think I've narrowed it down to Asus or Toshiba..or iPad. Too many choices!

forgot to mention on the thrive, when the battery finaly goes and needs to be replaced, you can buy one at best buy, push a switch on the side of the thrive to unlock the back panel, remove and replace the battery yourself like a cell phone

The non-user replaceable battery issue is largely a moot point.

iOS and Android upgrade so often that your tablet will probably be obsolete (i.e. crash a lot on the latest version and apps designed for it) long before the battery tanks anyway.

Hell, lots of people bitch about the iPad 1 crashing a lot more after the iOS 5 update and updated apps for it. So you probably have 2-3 years to use a tablet before it's obsolete unless you just don't bother updating the OS or apps after a while.

Very slick, honest and comprehensive review of the Asus Transformer Prime.

This part will make you not want to purchase it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVWjrbFwP0

This part will make you want to purchase it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPZ65wOA5kE

I received the tablet as a gift for my birthday. My girlfriend said she was originally going to buy me a Galaxy Tab, but decided to get my input because she didn't know much about it. I told her that the Transformer Prime is probably a better deal. We got it at Gamestop. Here is the standard pro/con nonsense.

Pros: Display - Contrast is excellent and the resolution does not disappoint.

Games - The Gamestop version came with a few full games, including Sonic CD and Shadowgun. My wired Xbox 360 controller works without any additional configuration on most games that would benefit from it. HDMI out is also great for playing games with a controller on a big TV.

Tegra 3 makes sure everything, including the UI, runs smoothly. This is the first Android device that I have experience with that doesn't stutter all over itself. You mentioned the Toshiba Thrive, which only has a Tegra 2 processor, unless there's another model I'm not aware of.

Wifi - People have reported problems with wifi but it outperforms other wireless devices around the house. No complaints here.

App store - This is an Android vs. iOS thing, but you get one free app per day on the Amazon App Store. I've gotten Plants vs. Zombies, Where's my Water, Airport Mania 2 (including the tablet version) and others this way. Most of the apps that are made free are shit but every two weeks or so you get a good one.

Cons: GPS - GPS is not functional. It's that simple. Do not get this device if GPS is even remotely important to you in a tablet. It isn't for me so there you go.

Display - Colors leave something to be desired. You notice it when you hook it up to a competent television and the colors on the tablet's display looked washed out in comparison. Even my Nexus One has better color reproduction.

Dead/stuck pixels - Users have reported dead or stuck pixels. I have one dead pixel. I need more to have it replaced, so there's not much I can do about it.

Android - It's still Android so get used to FORCE CLOSE messages.

And finally, since you mentioned gaming/emulators, this video will make you cum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzbbLGfiqc
Oh, and I'm currently playing through Sam and Max on the Transformer Prime. If you have any other Prime questions or specific things you care about, let me know.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Thanks for the tips. That toshiba thrive sounds like a beast! I will be sure to check it out when I get home (can't access a lot at work). Sounds more like a laptop that's crammed into a tablet which is what I am looking for. [/QUOTE]

Thrive is not my primary tab, but let me do a little selling here :)

toshiba_thrive1.jpg

Here I have my Thrive sitting on a Toshiba dock ($23) has headphone out, hdmi out and 2 USB.

From the dock, I use 1 USB to connect to a Belkin USB Hub (unpowered atm).
I connect the USB nub of the mouse to the hub. I also connected a USB thumb drive to the hub.

I connect another USB thumb drive to the Thrive itself via its onboard fullsize USB connection.

I connect one crappy travel speaker to dock.

The screen you see is the default file manager. On the top you see option for Internal Storage, SD card storage and USB flash storage.

For SD, like I mentioned in earlier post. I use a 64 GB SDxC card. Haven't done research, but I am sure a 128GB SDxC card will work... that's a lot of storage.

Add to all that storage all the USB Flash drives you can stick it to the Thrive... On the screen you see what happen when I click on the USB flash drive icon, it pops up a screen asking me which one I want to connect to and it opens the drive.

I haven't done much research after I have all my tabs, but I don't think there is any other tablet that beats the Thrive in terms of connectivity... mostly by design choice. Toshiba certainly went targeting a niche market here with the full size usb/hdmi ports etc.

The tablet is thick, but note that a good portion of it is due to the removal back cover and the cover design which is rubberized and has grooves. With a 10 inch tablet, you are not going to stick it in yoru pants' back pocket. I don't think it matters that much. The grooves certainly help you keep your hold on the tablet tho... I would much rather have that than to deal with slick backing. It makes the Thrive very easy to hold.

Concerning its weight. Yes... it is I think one of the heaviest tablet out there. But you are talking about 1.6lbs here vs 1.44 lbs with the ipad2... yes, 10% heavier... but look at what they crammed into this nice (kind of ugly) package :)

You want laptop, those laptop style led lights are there. (annoys me a little...)

All the other stuff is all pretty standard tablet/android fare. I don't have a keyboard hooked up, but as you can see here, it is certainly possible to have it as a workstation type and then in 1 second, take it on the road with none of the boot time/power consumption of a laptop.

but you know, Transformer Prime has that sexy factor and Tegra 3... Whichever way you go, I am sure you will be happy. I think your wife will prefer the asus for some style point but hey! you can buy a raspberry fusion color back cover for the Thrive! :) Toshiba Thrive Back cover

damn, the covers are so cheap now. just bought myself a blue and silver :) the lavender cover is very tempting...

Good looks spokker and wasabi. That was some good info. Wasabi, your thrive set up is pretty sweet! Spokker, thanks for the videos, they were very informative. Loved that last one with the emulators. That guy was playing everything! I think I've decided so Asus transformer here I come! What really gave the transformer the win was the tegra 3. Honestly, I didn't and still don't know shit about the tegra 3 except that it makes the tablet run smoother and faster which is very important to me. I'd hate to have something that would lag on me. I mean, c'mon, this is 2012. Now I need to find a deal for the smallest hdd transformer. And that keyboard dock ($120?!). Initially, I didn't want it but I'm def going to get a dock for it and a mouse and keyboard. Might as well be all crammed together that can transform it into a netbook (I gather that's why it is called the transformer). Looks like I'll be spending much more than anticipated. Probably along the lines of 600 after everything is said and done.

So it appears the transformer is the best tablet, IMO. If you guys know any deals, please let me know. And again, thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it!

Only question will be whether you go with the base Transformer or the more recent Prime. Amazon Warehouse had a few of the original Transformer for something like $280 last week, though it seemed you could get one even cheaper on eBay. Best of luck!

Aren't they releasing an updated prime with better metal casing soon? Either 1. it improves the wifi/gps/bluetooth etc and makes it worth waiting or 2. due to its release, current prime will be available at a discount.

original transformer is tegra 2 and with plastic casing. that's like taking away the 2 sexiest thing with prime :)

Damn guys, can you just let me have peace of mind! lol, now I am contemplating on waiting for the new one so that I can get the infinity or at least wait and get a nice discount on the current one. The internet doesn't give a release date (2nd quarter?) for the infinity so I should wait for a little while researching the news for the release. Things were so much easier to purchase without CAG.com. Now everything must be a deal..

If money is not an issue, the Samsung Series 7 Slate is a very powerful unit. A Core i5 PC is what it really is but with Windows 8 it gets a huge upgrade over its native Windows 7. A lot of developers are using it as the baseline test system for their Windows 8 support. I was strongly tempted when it was recently down to $999 including docking station and a $200 gift credit at the Microsoft Store but I was indecisive and the price went back up several hundred bucks.

It may be offered again if you keep your eyes open.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1A-A03US

This time next year there will be a bunch of new Windows on Intel and ARM tablet products. The Intel based ones will offer a lot more tweaking freedom.

bread's done
Back