Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Enhanced Edition], out now!

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#91 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

just got home and newegg came through good for me my witcher 2 was sitting there waiting. now i need to install, get some pizza, beer and spend the night playing.

What shipping option did you get?

ETA: Just checked my order, looks like mine's on track to be delivered this evening too, despite only getting the free 3 day shipping. Bitchin'.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#92 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

i pre ordered and think i used the default 3 day so its nice to see they match amazons street day delivery
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#93 SnoT

SnoT

Twat Twat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

I picked it up from the video store tonight. I can't justify buying anything else right now as I have like 8 games I haven't played much of yet.

SnoT8282.png

#94 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Congratulations, man. I got picked too! I actually do review games for a living, but don't tell anybody. Hope our copies arrive by Tuesday...

Sarcasm?

I've seen you post links to your reviews here often.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#95 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I rented it and am enjoying it so far. Didn't know much about the game so wasn't expecting one of the early scenes but oh well. Glad the kids were at school. I like the combat.

#96 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Sarcasm?

I've seen you post links to your reviews here often.

Assuming that the review program is supposed to exclude professionals, it would've been a mistake to accept me. But I told 'em who I write for, so it probably wasn't a mistake.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#97 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Just finished the prologue so im not far into at all but im liking it so far. The combat was kind of weird at first but i've got the hang of it and like it now. Im sure it'll be even better once I level up and get some new abilities.

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#98 infamy

infamy

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Time to shelve Mass Effect and get into some real RPG goodness. Started to get bored of the online, anyway (almost N7 lvl 300).

[currently playing]

:360: Forza 5, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Killer Instinct, Rayman Legends

:ps3: Anarchy Reigns

:baby: My beautiful baby daughter

#99 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

Damn Wal-mart and their ridiculous shipping times. Oh well, I still want to finish up ME1 (again), get through ME2 (again), and play ME3 (for the first time) before I dive into another RPG.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#100 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

I would be lucky to get $30 bucks for it, even sealed. Just hard for me to do when I'm essentially throwing my $$ away. I'll never build my own PC again. I constantly kept pouring money into upgrades, and it never could stay ahead of the game. Even struggled with end game Civ 4 which is pretty sad.

You REALLY should just sell your PC if it's that bad, and focus on console gaming or build a new one. Even my $200 netbook can run Civ 4 smoothly.

#101 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm liking the game so far BUT the controls feel a little loose, like Geralt is skating around. He always seems to end up a few steps past where I wanted him, and facing the wrong way. :lol: Hopefully it just takes some getting used to.

#102 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Enchantments?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

A review I read cautioned about the controls. They said that its because of the detailed animations.....not floaty movement. Haven't played it yet so I can't comment.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#103 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'm liking the game so far BUT the controls feel a little loose, like Geralt is skating around. He always seems to end up a few steps past where I wanted him, and facing the wrong way. :lol: Hopefully it just takes some getting used to.

100% agree. Happens to me a TON when the search button pops up so you can pick up items. I see the search and seem to float on past it and have to look around for it again.

#104 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

A good perspective talking about the strengths of The Witcher 2.
http://www.g4tv.com/...sslers-soapbox/
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#105 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

is it just me or is the combat a pain in the balls? i think i have to unlock the ability to parry? or im just aweful at it it seems like everytime i hold the block button it just sends him stumbling back instead doing a sick counter attack.
Posted Image

#106 kingkiller33

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

You REALLY should just sell your PC if it's that bad, and focus on console gaming or build a new one. Even my $200 netbook can run Civ 4 smoothly.

Really, it's definitely time for a new PC. I've had two BSOD this year and had to reinstall Windows twice. At least Bioshock ran great on it. One of the few successes.

#107 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

is it just me or is the combat a pain in the balls? i think i have to unlock the ability to parry? or im just aweful at it it seems like everytime i hold the block button it just sends him stumbling back instead doing a sick counter attack.

There's two seperate abilities, parry and riposte that you have to spend a talent point on each to learn. Parry is in the basic witcher tree, while riposte is in the swordsmanship tree.

Parry allows you to knock back attackers that you block. When you learn the deflect arrows skill in the basic Witcher tree it's for that also. Riposte allows you to counter an incoming sword attack if you're holding both triggers down to focus your parry on that enemy (it's the icon changing color thing from the tutorial.)

You're locked to the basic witcher tree until level 7 or 8 (you have to spend at least 1 point on each item in the basic Witcher tree) so you'll be at least 1/2 through Chapter 1 before you can learn Riposte.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#108 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

alright i see. i just need to keep in mind that in this game you need to use everything you have. i need to make potions, use magic and bombs/traps way more. its kind of refreshing and shows how most modern RPG's are made way easier.
Posted Image

#109 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

What I have noticed about the floaty controls is that he goes into a run WAY to easily which causes me to run right by where I want to stop and have to flip around.

#110 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, exactly. The walking speed feels right, but the running speed is too fast and you barely need to move the stick before he changes from walking to running. I wish there was a sensitivity setting, or just more of a spectrum between regular walking and light-speed run.

#111 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

While I like the game, the camera and controls are really starting to bug me. Everything seems to jerky. Nothing seems smooth about it. As stated above. I barely move the movement stick or the camera stick and it seems that everything just flys around.

#112 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

My biggest pet peeve at the moment is the quest marker. Unless i'm just looking at it wrong, it doesn't give you any real sense of depth with multi-level areas, especially once you get to the town in the 2nd chapter that has about 10 different paths to get you to different areas. What I'm experiencing most in this town is that when I am standing facing north, on the mini-map will show the quest indicator being south of me, but when I pull up the full map, it says its to the north of me.

I think I need to take a break, im getting aggrivated trying to figure out which side tunnel im supposed to go find in order to get to an area thats directly in front of me but separated by a bit of mountain.

538822.png

#113 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

holy hot mess.

Clunky combat, all kinds of audio errors, locking up in various sections, etc...

I know there's a good game in there somewhere struggling to come out, but it really needs some help. It's a nice effort but it doesn't live up to the hype at all.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#114 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Nice, I won my free copy after all from the contest I signed up with so I'll hopefully be playing in a few weeks time. :bouncy:
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#115 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

holy hot mess.

Clunky combat, all kinds of audio errors, locking up in various sections, etc...

I know there's a good game in there somewhere struggling to come out, but it really needs some help. It's a nice effort but it doesn't live up to the hype at all.

Just curious as I'm reviewing it but did you install it to the HDD? I did and am having none of those sound/freezing issues (on slim 360.)

#116 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

installed indeed. during the tutorial, the first time I talked to the dude on the ground the screen went black. After that, I kept getting really strange audio cues which is still happening. I checked to make sure I had the game set to 5.1 and the receiver as the same and that's not the problem.

The 1st scene in the dungeon, the dice sounded like trains and the guys were whispering. It's insane. I eventually went into the sound menu and dropped the music to about 25%, the SFX to about 40% and leave the speech all the way up. With all that, I still crank my stereo to 2x as loud as any other game to hear the people talking correctly. I've figured that Gears 3 is set at 15, BF3 is 17 and most others are in that range depending on how loud I want it. Witcher is set at 28... Maybe something got weird in my install, maybe I've got bad discs (unlikely), maybe my Resident Evil Red 360 is ready to die but in any event this game is just really weird in the sound dept.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#117 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have none of those issues but don't have surround sound. Default sound settings on either TV or TB X31's sound great.

Can anyone else help with impressions?

#118 infamy

infamy

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have none of those issues but don't have surround sound. Default sound settings on either TV or TB X31's sound great.

Can anyone else help with impressions?

I tried it on all 3 of my Xbox 360s and I don't have those issues, as well. Reach edition, Gears 3 edition and an old white phatty, if it makes a difference. I wonder of it's his Xbox?

[currently playing]

:360: Forza 5, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Killer Instinct, Rayman Legends

:ps3: Anarchy Reigns

:baby: My beautiful baby daughter

#119 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yeah makes me think that also, just needed some more examples as CAG is the only general gaming forum I have access to not named GameFAQ's (which I only go for guides as their forums are crap.)

#120 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Enchantments?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Nice, I won my free copy after all from the contest I signed up with so I'll hopefully be playing in a few weeks time. :bouncy:

Woo hoo! Nice!
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~