Gamestop Throwing Away Guitar Controllers - YMMV

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin317

Ronin317

The Yinzer Slayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any USED GH Guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.

Edited by Ronin317, 10 March 2012 - 10:59 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Latenight_Artist

Latenight_Artist

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up,I could use a few of these.
[URL="http://www.lusogamer.com/profile/live?gamertag=set89"]Posted Image[/URL]

#3 chrisflyer

chrisflyer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

I was in Gamestop tonight trading in my old 360 for a new slim on that sweet PUR deal, and also picked up a new mic for RB3.

Since I was buying the mic, the manager asked me if I wanted any guitars for free. He says "We got a corporate memo to field destroy any we had in stock. Take em all, I don't care." And shows me the memo.

SO...for those of you who happen to feel like dumpster diving, tonight and the next day or so, you should be able to grab all the guitar controllers your heart desires at many GS locations... as always, YMMV. If there are any GS employees, feel free to confirm or deny, but the memo I saw looked like it was dated today, 3.9.12. Not sure if it's regional, either. I'm in Pittsburgh, FWIW.

Which store was this? I live like 3 minutes from the East Liberty store, might be worth a late excursion.

#4 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

I was wondering when/if GS was gonna destroy all of the plastic guitars their stores are probably overflowing with.

I also wouldn't doubt if from this point on out these kind of peripherals aren't allowed to be traded in.

If anything, you could pretend to be a rockstar and do GS' job for them by smashing a bunch of them.;) But otherwise these are just plastic junk that clutter your house up pretty quick.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#5 happydogs

happydogs

Razor barrel.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

If anything, you could pretend to be a rockstar and do GS' job for them by smashing a bunch of them.;) But otherwise these are just plastic junk that clutter your house up pretty quick.

http://penny-arcade....omic/2005/09/19

(felt bad image linking PA)

#6 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

I haven't seen any of these locally in GS stores for years, unless they have some new in the package sitting around. I don't think they have ever taken these for trade in TBH at least around here. I do remember being in GS several times and having them turn away customers that wanted to buy used Guitar controllers and telling them they never had any, then GS told the customers to buy on ebay.

Also, these can be used on the xbox 360 as controllers to obtain multiplayer achievements if you don't have enough controllers to get the achievements, they have just enough buttons to log in as a second to fourth player. So they do have a use at least on the Xbox 360 albeit a very specific and niche one.

#7 Shadowiii

Shadowiii

Do the Mario!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Posted Image

Want something really cheap? Try Paradise Seekers, my $1 eBook on Amazon!

Also, check out my blog, where I'm trying to review every game I've ever played!

#8 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

Im pretty sure everyone is throwing these away.

#9 oldboy26

oldboy26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

I remember last time this happened it was with a bunch of video game themed wallets. I knew they were going to destroy them so I went and they were still on the shelves, and I tried buying them (rang up 1 cent). They then took them away and said I couldn't have them since they had to throw them away. I insisted but they refused.
Needless to say we dont' go to that gamestop anymore. Come on, guys. You would rather destroy them than just let me have them?

or take them home themselves....
Posted Image

#10 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

I went by my local store just before closing tonight. My main objective was to pre-order Tales of Graces since I've been procrastinating on that, but I figured I'd ask about this while I was there. Not only did they not know anything about it- my card wouldn't ring up properly. ;_; I'll be heading in tomorrow to see if they can sort it out.

#11 outunderstars

outunderstars

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

Really wish they could be recycled. :(

#12 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Really wish they could be recycled. :(

Unfortunately Gamestop(and many other chains) idea of recycling is tossing shit in the dumpster.:roll: We're such a wasteful world it's sickening. At least when some Targets zero out their clearance items they end up at Goodwill, where at least someone will hopefully buy them and get some use out of them.:-#

Posted Image

#13 Ronin317

Ronin317

The Yinzer Slayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Which store was this? I live like 3 minutes from the East Liberty store, might be worth a late excursion.

One of the Monroeville stores
Posted Image

#14 aaronz77

aaronz77

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Unfortunately Gamestop(and many other chains) idea of recycling is tossing shit in the dumpster.:roll: We're such a wasteful world it's sickening. At least when some Targets zero out their clearance items they end up at Goodwill, where at least someone will hopefully buy them and get some use out of them.:-#

Right, so much for being green $$.

#15 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Right, so much for being green $$.

That is the only 'green'(money) they care about, just like the companies that're making those 'eco' cases now for games and movies. Those cases are so flimsy sometimes that you then have to replace them with a non 'eco' case and end up tossing out that junky one. So how exactly does that help the Earth?:roll::-#

Posted Image

#16 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

Thanks god this terrible genre is dying.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?

#17 Wazootyman

Wazootyman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

Was there not an active volcano nearby?
I enjoy stuff a great deal.

#18 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

I laugh in your general direction.

#19 sgaldis

sgaldis

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

Just bury them in the desert and be done with it...

#20 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:42 AM

If you want companies to give stuff away instead of destroying it, then you need to lobby to change tax & accounting laws. Can't believe I'm defending GS, but they must do that in order to legally get the credit from the publisher or the government (depending on where their credit is coming from in that situation).

#21 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

Just bury them in the desert and be done with it...

Yeah. E.T. needs some company.;)

Posted Image

#22 Ricanlegend

Ricanlegend

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

Pay a bum $5 bucks to collect all the guitar from the dump :beer:

#23 chrisflyer

chrisflyer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

Tried the E. Liberty store in Pittsburgh, if they put anything in the dumpster, it is unfortunately locked, so that was a bust.

#24 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

Might have to check this out over the weekend. Wouldn't mind having some extras, definitely if they are throwing out wireless.

Bash the genre, but I think the games are still fun.

#25 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

Pay a bum $5 bucks to collect all the guitar from the dump :beer:

I'd rather pay a bum $5 to walk into a GS store and take dump in the middle of the floor or one of the uhh dump bins they put the lower priced 360 and such games in.;)

Posted Image

#26 DaShaka

DaShaka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

My gamestop has like 40 Modern Warfare 3 T-Shirts marked 1 cent each. It's better than throwing them away. I'd buy some but I don't wear video game T-Shirts, and even if I did, not MW3.

#27 Maskim

Maskim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Me and GS have something in common. I've got 6 of these left in the garage, for various systems, along with an unopened Rock Band wireless drum set. I'm about at the point where I just smash the guitars and send them to the dump.
Posted Image

#28 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Intensely attracted to severe personality problems.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

Funny, I'd gladly pay $10-$15 for one, but I can't find them anywhere. Online they're too expensive.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#29 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

Poor baby. I'm sorry that you had to suffer the turmoil of this dead genre. It sure was rough.

#30 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

My gamestop has like 40 Modern Warfare 3 T-Shirts marked 1 cent each. It's better than throwing them away. I'd buy some but I don't wear video game T-Shirts, and even if I did, not MW3.

You should grab em all for $.01 each and put them up on your trade list here. Someone would likely grab some off you just for the sake of having them.

Posted Image