Photo
- - - - -

Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post) Last Drop on 3/26

• Please log in to reply
1925 replies to this topic

#751 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

The big question is stores will do pre-pulls or not. Last few of them, they have been pre-pulling. Some nice guides in there to be had.

Since I have to run to BB anyway today to drop off some recycle items, guess I'll check out the guides while I'm there.

#752 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Was heading there today anyway, so I'll check it out. I know for sure most of them were never there in the first place.

#753 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Which BBY to give it a try at first???

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#754 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'll check out 2 stores that still have guides from last drop out (but since they don't ring up, it doesn't help me). If new drops ring up a penny now I will be pleasantly surprised.

#755 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Didn't Fallout: New Vegas penny a long time ago though?

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#756 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Didn't Fallout: New Vegas penny a long time ago though?

Not exactly. The SKU was deleted. There was something interesting I noticed a while back. All of the guides that had their SKUs deleted were put back into the system a few weeks later at a price of $13. Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age II were two guides that I saw that happen to.

#757 nosalenobuy

nosalenobuy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Just left a best buy earlier without checking here first. I will head to my lucky spot tomorrow and post my results.

#758 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Saw some reduced guides yesterday at Target:

Homefront
Madden 12

1 or 2 others, I think. They were ~$6 each.

#759 phogoodness

phogoodness

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Tried to pick up skyrim ce but they didn't ring up a penny. System said they were not for sale. Couldn't find any of the other guides

#760 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Tried to pick up skyrim ce but they didn't ring up a penny. System said they were not for sale. Couldn't find any of the other guides

Did they scan both UPCs too?

#761 phogoodness

phogoodness

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Did they scan both UPCs too?

yep, i got tons of guides here in the past, same cashier too :cry:

#762 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

death of penny guides at best buy is upon us! sucks that i joined the bandwagon too late... only got 3 guides from BBY for last 8 months or so. oh well.

#763 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

No luck at my store with the three guides I found (Skyward Sword, Syndicate, and MK,) the manager said they pulled them all earlier. I guess I've bought my last penny guides. :(
Posted Image

#764 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

These were all pulled last night when I was at a store. I don't think they penny anymore, the just go out of the system.

#765 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Not exactly. The SKU was deleted. There was something interesting I noticed a while back. All of the guides that had their SKUs deleted were put back into the system a few weeks later at a price of $13. Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age II were two guides that I saw that happen to.

That's really weird. About 3+ weeks ago, when BB had the B2G1 on 3DS games, a friend and I found a NV guide that had a sticker that said it was a penny. It rang up the $13 price, but we showed them the penny sticker and they honored it.

Posted Image

#766 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yeah they're all out of system. The employees seem confused to say the least but don't expect them to sell you anything. That includes New Vegas.

#767 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I can confirm syndicate was taken out of the system entirely. RSS shows it as one cent, but cashiers registers won't allow it to be scanned or typed in for sale.

#768 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

so looks like consensus is that BBY for penny guides is still dead.

#769 kramer0731

kramer0731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Tried today for FONV, Syndicate, Sims3: Pets, and UFC3. All rang up as "ISBN is not recognized" or "Item is not available for sale." However......

The BB employees I was working with seemed unaware of what to do, so they checked and checked again and again. They looked online, and then in ETK, etc. Eventually I gave them a nickel and they let me walk out. One employee was able to find that the actual "price" of the items (he did a SKU check and searched for these guides by SKU only then) is listed as $.01. However, they simply can't be sold through any logical means.

Last thing they tried is a "SKU not found" lookup, where the number is manually typed in. This worked for one guide only: Sim3: Pets. After all of this it had been about 15 minutes and they just let me pay and leave.

Flame shield: I never ASKED for any of this. I simply waited and let the process go where it went. So the bottom line is this: penny guides may still be possible, but it's an uphill battle. Hope this helps someone - I'd go for the CE guides if you're going to try.
My guide trade list can be found here:

http://www.cheapassg...5&postcount=136

#770 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I gave up on bestbuy with these guides. That being said they are doing what they are supposed to do with these lol
Currently playing
:ps4: murdered soul suspect, the transistor, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: wonderfull 101

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, knack : :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#771 SadPanda99

SadPanda99

I hate know it alls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Tried today for FONV, Syndicate, Sims3: Pets, and UFC3. All rang up as "ISBN is not recognized" or "Item is not available for sale." However......

The BB employees I was working with seemed unaware of what to do, so they checked and checked again and again. They looked online, and then in ETK, etc. Eventually I gave them a nickel and they let me walk out. One employee was able to find that the actual "price" of the items (he did a SKU check and searched for these guides by SKU only then) is listed as $.01. However, they simply can't be sold through any logical means.

Last thing they tried is a "SKU not found" lookup, where the number is manually typed in. This worked for one guide only: Sim3: Pets. After all of this it had been about 15 minutes and they just let me pay and leave.

Flame shield: I never ASKED for any of this. I simply waited and let the process go where it went. So the bottom line is this: penny guides may still be possible, but it's an uphill battle. Hope this helps someone - I'd go for the CE guides if you're going to try.

Same thing happened to me, cashier couldn't sell them to me, we called over a manager who checked in RSS?, and eventually just gave them to me.
Posted Image

PM me to trade for EA PGA 11, MMA, Shift 2 Season Passes

#772 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

No go for me. Tried Fallout and Mortal Kombat. They were informed with the procedure and wouldn't give or sell them to me.

#773 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Heads up everyone: There be a drop at Best Buy today!

Codes And CHeats Vol. 2 2012
Disney Universe
Dragon Age II
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim CE
Fallout New Vegas
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D
Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword CE
Madden NFL 12
Mario Party 9
Mortal Kombat
Pokemon Black & White Vol. 1
Pokemon Black & White Vol. 2 Pokedex
Sims 3 box set
Sims 3 Pets
Syndicate
UFC Undisputed 3
WWE 12

Interesting. The Skyrim CE would likely be the only one I'd pick up out of all of those, since I think I already have a softcover and hardcover FO NV from GS.

But I don't recall seeing ANY of those earlier this week when I was at BB to pick up Mass Effect 3 and renew my GCU. So I think I'm SOL on even finding the Skyrim one. Oh well. Not like I've actually played much of Skyrim in the first place.:-# If it were a third person RPG I'd probably be more interested in it. But otherwise I got kinda bored with it after 3-4 hours.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#774 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

Well, a little bit of excitement to not let the BB drop/PULL! get me down..when I went to pick up the Dark Souls guide for $5 I used P/U in-Store for, the guy actually held the SC V guide for me as well (even though at noon, he said he'd only hold for an hour..(which, they almost lost my Blops 2 pre-order b/c of that)) and I was stoked to see that it was a hardcover! that may have been made clear in some post, but I missed it. Plus, when the guy scanned my PowerUp card, it reduced each one by .50 cents.

I casually asked the guy if any others were $5 and he said CoD:MW3 was, GeoW 3 and that was about it. Sure that is old news, not sure if that was the MW3 hardcover or not, and I don't think GeoW 3 had but a paperback..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#775 MrSmiley1

MrSmiley1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

I was denied The Sims 3 box set at my local store today. Computer gave the "item is not for sale" message. It even had a .01 price tag on it but it was still a no go.

#776 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

somebody mentioned gamestop may have their futurepress guides for $4.99. i inquired about the kingdoms of amalur guide at the store and it is still $26.99. but i still need to buy the SC5 guide to bundle with my unopened game on craigslist.

#777 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

somebody mentioned gamestop may have their futurepress guides for $4.99. i inquired about the kingdoms of amalur guide at the store and it is still $26.99. but i still need to buy the SC5 guide to bundle with my unopened game on craigslist.

Did the hardcover soul calibur 5 drop to $4.99? Or is it still $10?

#778 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

It's too bad. The Best Buys I have near me have most of these.

Codes And Cheats Vol. 2 2012
Disney Universe
Dragon Age II
Fallout New Vegas
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D
Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword CE
Madden NFL 12
Mario Party 9
Mortal Kombat
Pokemon Black & White Vol. 1
Pokemon Black & White Vol. 2 Pokedex
Sims 3 Pets
Syndicate
UFC Undisputed 3
WWE 12

All of these are available. But the Codes and Cheats one wasn't pennied when I checked.

#779 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

This is one of the most level-headed, informative, and defensible posts I've ever seen in one of the PG threads; cheers!

I wish I weren't afflicted with can't-be-arsed-itis so I could try this. Although the potential payoff of combining this and a possible TRU price match into one expedition might be a remedy...
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#780 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Did the hardcover soul calibur 5 drop to $4.99? Or is it still $10?

yes it is now $4.99, confirmed by multiple CAGs. looking back i see Romeo already said the Amalur guide did not drop in price. sorry i overlooked that.