Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post) Last Drop on 3/26

• Please log in to reply
1920 replies to this topic

#1201 maxpower0965

maxpower0965

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Online on bestbuy its showing Batman: Arkham City Limited Edition (Game Guide) as .01.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218380499048

#1202 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Sad that my store doesnt sell the pennied guides anymore.

Edited by CAGkrazy, 22 February 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#1203 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Online on bestbuy its showing Batman: Arkham City Limited Edition (Game Guide) as .01.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218380499048

of course, not available at any stores. i'm pretty sure i have seen it recently.

#1204 RPGamer246

RPGamer246

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Had a me3 CE in hand at best buy and got denied, they sent me to customer service since it wouldn't come up even though price checking at a penny and they denied me

#1205 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Wow! Just made an 8 guide haul from BB from coopscohen's post yesterday. Can somebody please add this to the OP?? While incomplete, it is pretty much verified, and its always easier to jump to Page 1 then trying to find this (that) post some days from now..The situation was pretty epic. 4 manager type people came over to the register when I guess an inventory guy told them over their headsets to just give them to me b/c they would be going in the dumpster anyway. This then caused all 4 of them to talk about how to print out a 'junk list' 'somebody is in trouble' and proceeded straight to the guide area.

Also grabbed my Max Payne 3 guide from GS from In-Store Pickup. The clerk was shocked it was a penny, and thought it was pretty cool ("Now you know what you can tell people when they say you can't get anything for a penny" yeah yeah, har har) I asked him nicely if I could scope out his piles of guides in the back if I promise to keep my hands in the air at all times and he denied it. I even asked if I could just squint from the doorway..he said no. He implied he was happy to type in any titles I wanted to the computer, but I may have already tipped him off b/c I got a "No we don't have it" from about 5 I listed off..

Oh well, pretty good day, always comforting to know that penny guides aren't dead, just harder to get!
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#1206 Mikey115

Mikey115

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

When purchasing penny guides is there any tecnique when checking out to better your odds at getting them (like mention anything about them being a penny) or is it completely ymmv? Cuz I kno for sure my best buy has a few mass effect 3 ce guides out on the floor

#1207 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

When purchasing penny guides is there any tecnique when checking out to better your odds at getting them (like mention anything about them being a penny) or is it completely ymmv? Cuz I kno for sure my best buy has a few mass effect 3 ce guides out on the floor

IDK, huge YMMV. You gotta first judge the personality type of the clerk in about 5 seconds, possibly even so much as doing a little recon from the New Release movie area to get a sense of how they might be. I ALWAYS approach the situation playing dumb, then make a call whether to mention something based on their reaction to seeing the penny. Sometimes they might be "Oh, that is so cool, here ya go!" No more effort has to be put forth. But if they start to look nervous, fidgety, or look around, then yeah, I may interject and say "Yeah, I know these are a penny, I keep track of these sort of things, its never been a problem in the past, do it all the time!" and that might help. If managers come over..good luck! Just be nice, cheerful and very thankful thru the whole process and you might surprise yourself. But don't go in there with a "DES ARE PENNY AND ALL MINE" attitude or you'll definitely be shot down. Also, don't hoard on your first trip to the register. If you get the OK and want more or multiples, run the first sack out to your car and re-enter for more.
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#1208 cgxcswim

cgxcswim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

BB is very very YMMV now due to the guides ringing up "not available for sale". Its not like how it was before where they could actually ring up and sell them to you for a penny. Now they have to decide to give them to you for free or deny you. It does help to play dumb at first and be buying something else in the same transaction.

#1209 warboss zorbag

warboss zorbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Success!
My first penny guides at best buy in a ling time.
Ff13 2 collectors, and a silent hill
So Windwaker HD is like cocaine for my eyes.

#1210 xDerekRx

xDerekRx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

BB is very very YMMV now due to the guides ringing up "not available for sale". Its not like how it was before where they could actually ring up and sell them to you for a penny. Now they have to decide to give them to you for free or deny you. It does help to play dumb at first and be buying something else in the same transaction.

Ya its depressing to think about. I did Penny guides for probably 5+ years at BB. Never got denied once. Even when bringing large amounts up. Because when they scanned at .01 the young girl at the register would just cash you out no issues.

Its encouraging that people here are still giving it a go and getting lucky. Maybe Ill muster up the desire to try again

#1211 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

With so many people looking for guides, does anyone trade? I have duplicates that I would like to trade for ones I haven't been able to get.

#1212 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

With so many people looking for guides, does anyone trade? I have duplicates that I would like to trade for ones I haven't been able to get.

Here is the thread, since too many people don't get guides anymore new updates are minimal.

#1213 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Here is the thread, since too many people don't get guides anymore new updates are minimal.

Thank you.

#1214 OscillatingFerret

OscillatingFerret

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

FWIW, the Dead island Riptide steelbooks are also "not available for sale" even though the system shows them as $5.

#1215 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

FWIW, the Dead island Riptide steelbooks are also "not available for sale" even though the system shows them as $5.

This is true but I managed to give them the game sku and still get the steelbook.

xivpads.png

#1216 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Ya its depressing to think about. I did Penny guides for probably 5+ years at BB. Never got denied once. Even when bringing large amounts up. Because when they scanned at .01 the young girl at the register would just cash you out no issues.

Its encouraging that people here are still giving it a go and getting lucky. Maybe Ill muster up the desire to try again

Same for me, I have been buying penny guides from Best Buy since 2002 and only had 1 problem in all those years. Like you said, since they scanned for a penny it wasn't an issue and now I don't think I want to even bother trying knowing they won't be able to be rung up and the very likely chance of running into a problem. I wonder if its just guides that no longer can be rung up at the register or its all penny items. It's been a while since I have seen anything but they used to mark down movie promo items to a penny after a while too.

#1217 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Went to BB that I was at about a month ago and got denied trying to get some older drop penny guides that didn't scan (ie Rage, Syndicate). I was told they needed to send them back to the warehouse and they couldn't sell/give them to. Funny enough they were all just thrown back on the shelf because the same guides I was denied trying to get were there.

Anyway, there were tons of guides that should have been pulled and weren't so I grabbed the (3) that I didn't have (Uncharted 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and UFC Undisputed 3). The clerk tries to ring them up and obviously they won't scan. He lets out a "not again" and tells me he has to check with a manager. He comes back like a minute later and says you can take them. So you can add UFC Undisputed 3 to the list I posted a page or so back.

#1218 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

my bestbuys wont give me the guides. unlike those entitled people out there i didnt make a big deal out of it :)
Currently playing
:ps4: watch dogs, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag

games recently beaten: :ps4: infamous second son, call of duty ghosts, killzone shadowfall, knack :ps3: kingdom hearts hd :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#1219 tribalnoise

tribalnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

my bestbuys wont give me the guides. unlike those entitled people out there i didnt make a big deal out of it :)

everyone there should be fired

#1220 captainenforcer

captainenforcer

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

everyone there should be fired

Don't worry, they will be sooner or later when they go out of business.

#1221 SInX4Lyfe

SInX4Lyfe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Got denied aswell, if only it was priced at 1cent :C too bad

#1222 XF Gator

XF Gator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Epic denial today at the Gilbert, AZ store.

Had in hand:
Battlefield 3
Kid Icarus
Ghost Recon: FS
Fable
Resident Evil Raccoon City

Every guide gave a popup "Item Not Available for Sale" at the register. An employee came by and took them, saying he would "look in to it." Guy came back and asked how I knew they were pennied, and proceeded to ask if I am a Best Buy employee...

In the same transaction I tried to buy a pre-owned PS3 Black Ops 2 for $37.99 - 10%GCU - $10 @Gamer coupon. They went and got the store manager. He was OK with me getting the sale price and the gamers club discounts. Worst Buy is back!

#1223 ZeroUnderOne

ZeroUnderOne

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I tried to nab a final fantasy collectors guide, rang up as not for sale. Guy asked manager and manager quickly grabbed the book and told me he has to take it to the back and destroy it. I started laughing at this point.

Oh well.

#1224 Zygote

Zygote

Yu are the One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Got denied by a manager. Must have carried 40 lbs of books up to front. Even offered to pay an overpriced REORC which I forgot that the sale was over. It was a good workout though.
"Do not scorn the weak cub - he may become a brutal tiger"
Ancient Mongolian Proverb

#1225 warboss zorbag

warboss zorbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Never understand why some of you guys grab massive piles. Its tough enough to get a few, if you grab a mega pile they're gonna know you're in the know, and deny you.

#1226 Richard Longfellow

Richard Longfellow

Mr. Warmth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Never understand why some of you guys grab massive piles. Its tough enough to get a few, if you grab a mega pile they're gonna know you're in the know, and deny you.

Whether you have one or a hundred, if a manager has decided to enforce the policy, he will. It has nothing to do with whether or not he thinks you're "in the know."
"I renounce Verdukianism!"

#1227 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Whether you have one or a hundred, if a manager has decided to enforce the policy, he will. It has nothing to do with whether or not he thinks you're "in the know."

That's so not true.

If you walk up with 1 guide, he might just let it slide. If you walk up with 100, it's probably a no go.

Even best buy managers can detect obnoxious greed when they see it.

The last guide I got might have been Dragon Age 2. There were 20 guides on the shelf. It rang up as "cannot sell" or whatever. Since I only had one, the manager just said "take it."

If I had taken all 20, I doubt he'd have let me take it.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#1228 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

That's so not true.

If you walk up with 1 guide, he might just let it slide. If you walk up with 100, it's probably a no go.

Even best buy managers can detect obnoxious greed when they see it.

The last guide I got might have been Dragon Age 2. There were 20 guides on the shelf. It rang up as "cannot sell" or whatever. Since I only had one, the manager just said "take it."

If I had taken all 20, I doubt he'd have let me take it.

I agree. They may be corporate robots but they're still flesh and blood. I think.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1229 warboss zorbag

warboss zorbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

There's no way in hell you really believe that. Seriously...

Every single time anyone one at work has ever come up with a massive pile of duplicate anything's they're up to no good. No one in the world has a legitimate need for 15 copies of.the same strategy guide .

I always follow the same rule on penny guides. Grab a few different ones and something small like a headset or something I need,, put it all on the counter and act stupid.

#1230 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

Good Haul in Denver yesterday for me and my friend. We had been to 3 other BB's in search of the Game of Thrones Blu with the Lannister cover and in the midst of that I forgot to grab a copy of Argo. So we decided to stop at another BB that was close by.

We each got 1 of the CE Guides except for AC:Rev (and I didn't get a Gears 3 cuz I didn't want another). And got a few of the various softcovers (DoA, Prototype 2, Xcom, Silent Hill, Max Payne). Manager just transferred them out of inventory and said to take them. The loss prevention guy told us as we left "Score!". :lol:

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

:3ds: FC: 4957-3481-3976 (PM me if you add so I can add you!)

Currently Playing:  :360: Red Dead, Ghosts :xb1: Watch Dogs

Recently Completed: Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead S2