• Please log in to reply
1940 replies to this topic

#1231 XF Gator

XF Gator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

That's so not true.

If you walk up with 1 guide, he might just let it slide. If you walk up with 100, it's probably a no go.

Even best buy managers can detect obnoxious greed when they see it.

The last guide I got might have been Dragon Age 2. There were 20 guides on the shelf. It rang up as "cannot sell" or whatever. Since I only had one, the manager just said "take it."

If I had taken all 20, I doubt he'd have let me take it.

Remember though, it used to be clean ... they would ring up as $0.01 and that's what you paid. The new way they're ringing up red alerts that they're no supposed to be sold.

It was good while it lasted - this is the end of penny guides for me!

#1232 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Managed to pick up a GW2 guide as well as a Max Payne 3 guide. Gotta try Best Buy tomorrow! ^_^

#1233 gauu

gauu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

yah sadly back in the old days before they got heavy on the destroying you could just go up with piles and piles. i remember they had over 20+ different guides drop back in 07 or 08 it was. me and my gf both grabbed as much as are arms could carry and walked out no issues. now with the changes i wont even try more then 1 or 2 guides. if i get through no issues ill have my gf grab one or two others.

#1234 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Got some guides today at Gamestop, courtesy of a new employee. Two PSASBR guides.

Thank you, new employee.
The Silent Owl always gets his mark. Chapapa.

#1235 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

the gamestop that holds the guides for me was able to hold a max payne 3 for me but the two guild wars guides that were there a week ago were brought before they cold hold them. darn it lol
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#1236 Richard Longfellow

Richard Longfellow

Mr. Warmth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

There's no way in hell you really believe that. Seriously...

Every single time anyone one at work has ever come up with a massive pile of duplicate anything's they're up to no good. No one in the world has a legitimate need for 15 copies of.the same strategy guide .

I always follow the same rule on penny guides. Grab a few different ones and something small like a headset or something I need,, put it all on the counter and act stupid.

You're completely missing the point, or avoiding it. This has nothing to do with a value judgement against the person buying the guide. Since the crackdown and the removal of the .01 markdown, "pennied" guides cannot be sold. It will require a manager's approval each time, and if he's following protocol, he will deny you. He can get in trouble with BB corporate and the publishers if he lets one or a hundred go. Small quantities and padding the sale don't make a difference.
"I renounce Verdukianism!"

#1237 warboss zorbag

warboss zorbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Exactly, its at the managers discretion.

The manager is far more apt to let the dude have a guide who has real items on his order and doesn't have a massive pile of the same things.

The person behaving like a real customer, not a douche bag.
So Windwaker HD is like cocaine for my eyes.

#1238 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

You're completely missing the point, or avoiding it. This has nothing to do with a value judgement against the person buying the guide. Since the crackdown and the removal of the .01 markdown, "pennied" guides cannot be sold. It will require a manager's approval each time, and if he's following protocol, he will deny you. He can get in trouble with BB corporate and the publishers if he lets one or a hundred go. Small quantities and padding the sale don't make a difference.

You seriously think that a manager, when making up his mind whether or not to allow something outside of policy, does not take into account whether you have 1 guide or 100 guides? Are you mental?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#1239 RPGamer246

RPGamer246

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Went to pick up Argo, saw the final fantasy 13-2 CE and got it for free at bestbuy, manager told me happy holidays! Also set up a guild wars 2 CE for instore pick up, they said it was ready and when I got there they couldn't find it since they had Been pennied out and the system count wasn't changed

#1240 IndelibleSin

IndelibleSin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Found several guides at my best buy. Took a few, one of each only, up to the register. They all came up Not for Sale. The lady didn't know what to do, called over the other cashier, who them proceeded to tell her they were a penny and that they were for sale as he had bought a bunch of them not long ago. They called over another guy to try and figure out how to scan them, but couldn't. Finally, they called who I think was a manager who said she could not sell them because it would take her 2 hours to talk to some people in inventory or something. The cashier who admitted to buying them at a penny himself seemed genuinely disappointed that I couldn't get them for a penny. I feel like I was so close, but got denied at the last second, oh well... He also mentioned that it wasn't just him buying them at a penny but others as well. I'll have to be more vigilant and go the day they drop at around the same time and try to get rung up by him, mentioning that I left some guides behind of course.

#1241 ZeroUnderOne

ZeroUnderOne

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Tried another best buy today because I really want a single copy of the FF13-2 collector's guide to go with my FF13-2 collectors game.

Same song different verse though :(

Not for sale, manager called in and says can't be sold.

#1242 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

I hit three BBs on my way to work today, and all 3 times they wouldn't ring up, so I SOL'd. Oh wells.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1243 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

I hit three BBs on my way to work today, and all 3 times they wouldn't ring up, so I SOL'd. Oh wells.

They will never "ring up". It's YMMV whether or not they will just give them to you or deny completely.

#1244 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Yeah, I was planning on elaborating in the Chicago thread. Just thought I'd report a negative here.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1245 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

i found a guild wars 2 guide on my way to work. i wanted to find a second one but this will do. this along with the max payne i scored yesturday makes this hunt of the recent drops a nice one for me. cant wait for more !
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#1246 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Praise The Sun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

Guild Wars 2 LE Guide is pennied at Best Buy? I thought it was only pennied at Gamestop. My Best Buy had 1 Guild Wars 2 LE guide that was never sold or pulled and since EVERY guide that got pennied was pulled at my Best Buy I assumed it wasn't pennied.

If it is pennied then I'll jump all over that.

#1247 hellmutt

hellmutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

Guild Wars 2 LE Guide is pennied at Best Buy? I thought it was only pennied at Gamestop. My Best Buy had 1 Guild Wars 2 LE guide that was never sold or pulled and since EVERY guide that got pennied was pulled at my Best Buy I assumed it wasn't pennied.

If it is pennied then I'll jump all over that.

I don't think so, I price checked it last week and it was full price. Unless someone else says differently...
Posted Image

#1248 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

BradyGames official site has the Red Dead Redemption GOTY LE Guide up for $20.99. I just bought a copy.

This has been difficult to find online for a long time now. I have actually seen this fetch about $150 on eBay. Even Amazon resellers have the price jacked up.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#1249 PapaSmerf

PapaSmerf

Central Scrutinizer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

BradyGames official site has the Red Dead Redemption GOTY LE Guide up for $20.99. I just bought a copy.

This has been difficult to find online for a long time now. I have actually seen this fetch about $150 on eBay. Even Amazon resellers have the price jacked up.

Check your order summary. I ordered one in January and it is listed as backordered on my status.

#1250 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Check your order summary. I ordered one in January and it is listed as backordered on my status.

Thanks for the heads up. Still says 'in process' but that could be cuz I only ordered it yesterday. I'll keep my eye on it...

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#1251 domon

domon

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Tried another best buy today because I really want a single copy of the FF13-2 collector's guide to go with my FF13-2 collectors game.

Same song different verse though :(

Not for sale, manager called in and says can't be sold.

Try a gamestop. I managed to nab the last one they had still sealed and pennied.

#1252 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

J&R is selling Mario Kart 7's guide for $5. J&R's always had better prices for guides, and I remember buying the FF8 guide there ten years ago. At least they know to clearance them out properly.

Batsugunner.png

#1253 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

J&R is selling Mario Kart 7's guide for $5. J&R's always had better prices for guides, and I remember buying the FF8 guide there ten years ago. At least they know to clearance them out properly.

They also have the following:

$2.99
Game of Thrones
The Darkness II

$4.99
Max Payne 3
Prototype 2
Ninja Gaiden 3

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1254 darken

darken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I've been so jealous of CAG's lately with all their luck with guides since I've had a dry spell for several months now. Today I went to Gamestop and got Max Payne 3for free. Then I went to Best buy and found Uncharted 3, Uncharted 3 CE, and Xcom buried behind several other guides. I took the Uncharted CE and Xcom up. After a 10 minute wait and several managers discussing it, they gave me the guides with the condition that they cut the back page off. Fortunately the Uncharted CE guide has a piece of paper with the sku so they just removed that paper.

Edited by shrike4242, 28 February 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Posted Image

#1255 IndelibleSin

IndelibleSin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Went to GameStop and managed to get my best haul yet (11 guides). I initially took up only 1 of each of the guides I found since they had denied me the last couple times. When the cashier didn't deny me, I asked if I could get the duplicates I left behind and he agreed, so I managed to get 11 guides total. I did hear the other cashier apologize to him as I left with the stack of guides, although he told the other cashier not to worry about it. I really should update my post on the trade topic...

#1256 TheLiptonDipper

TheLiptonDipper

Brony 4 Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Went to GameStop and managed to get my best haul yet (11 guides). I initially took up only 1 of each of the guides I found since they had denied me the last couple times. When the cashier didn't deny me, I asked if I could get the duplicates I left behind and he agreed, so I managed to get 11 guides total. I did hear the other cashier apologize to him as I left with the stack of guides, although he told the other cashier not to worry about it. I really should update my post on the trade topic...

Picture or it didn't happen, just kidding. Congrats

I need to do some Spring cleaning on my backlog.

#1257 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I was able to get a Guild Wars 2 LE guide today at Gamestop. Went to one really far away because I had other business in the area. Anyway, I go in to trade in one of my many copies of The Sims 3 and ask about some other games, like Metroid Other M. Then I tell them I'm after the Guild Wars. They give the usual spiel about pennied out guides. Still, they go into the back and find one. They just give it to me, so long as I don't tell corporate that they helped me out, even though they didn't need to. Like I would have gone to corporate after they helped me. Other M was gutted, and so I had no interest, but I couldn't tell them no after they gave me the guide. I'll return it somewhere down the line.
The Silent Owl always gets his mark. Chapapa.

#1258 arsenalcrazy8

arsenalcrazy8

As Cheap As Wenger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

haha pretty funny seeing how getting ~10 or so guides is now a huge come up. (not saying its not...these days it DEFFF is.) I remember back when Best Buy had actual penny guides that rang up a penny I would regularly get ~30 or so guides a drop lol and I havnt even been a CAG that long. Man those were the days...guide hunting was so fun.

Managed to pick up a Kingdom of Amalaur guide today at GS
Up the Gunners!!!!!
I am Cheap, therefore I buy Cheap.

#1259 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

haha pretty funny seeing how getting ~10 or so guides is now a huge come up. (not saying its not...these days it DEFFF is.) I remember back when Best Buy had actual penny guides that rang up a penny I would regularly get ~30 or so guides a drop lol and I havnt even been a CAG that long. Man those were the days...guide hunting was so fun.

Managed to pick up a Kingdom of Amalaur guide today at GS

I know, I used to love drop day. In the old days, the hunt would yield several kills per store but with the amount of guides and succes rates I don't feel its worth the drive these days :(

Have 3 demo SSB codes for trade. Already have last 6 Club Nintendo Wii U eshop games from Club Nintendo. Will take any Wii U eshop game codes I don't already have or Non CN 3DS eshop code.

Check My Trade List
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=276079

#1260 Namurashi

Namurashi

I am Galstaff, Sorceror of Light!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Man, I wish I was around for the heyday. Going to try a couple of places and see if I get anything. Very cool thread.