Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post) Last Drop on 3/26

• Please log in to reply
1876 replies to this topic

#1411 arsenalcrazy8

arsenalcrazy8

As Cheap As Wenger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

Assassins Creed 3 CE guides are still $6.99 in store at BB. Just picked up two as an investment.

MoH Frontline the game for PS2 is also $.02 at Gamestop for anyone who runs across one.

there are actually 200-300 ps2 games that are .02 at gamestop. If its not on the website, its $.02...

Ive had a lot of fun finding and picking up a BUNCH of penny ps2 games.
Up the Gunners!!!!!
I am Cheap, therefore I buy Cheap.

#1412 Game Rogue

Game Rogue

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Small GS drop

GS 5/22/13

Far Cry 3
Madden 13

GS also dropped Codes & Cheats Vol. 2 2012

#1413 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Been gone for a while - has best buy not had penny guides in months? Don't see any entry on their list

#1414 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Been gone for a while - has best buy not had penny guides in months? Don't see any entry on their list

BB no longer does penny guides. The price stays the same in RSS, the item is blocked from sale at the register.

#1415 texasitalianboy

texasitalianboy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

It would be really great if a BB employee or a friend of a BB employee would post a list of the titles which are or will be EOL'd or pulled from the shelves. These titles don't show up as $.01 using the normal price check (F10) on the registers any more. A list of those that will be or had been pulled would be great. It is possible that we may be able to strike a deal with a friendly employee or a manager to give us a guide here or there if someone would be able to keep up on the titles. I used to be a BB employee and I was able to keep a pretty good running list of the guides in stock, and I would check daily to see what was being removed from the shelves.

I really enjoyed the 50% off on guides at BB recently and last Fall. Since they almost never go on sale and the Publishers don't let them discount them, it was nice to see BB do this. Gamestop, Amazon, TRU, B&N, Fry's should follow suit. BB needs to do this way more often.

I won't buy any guide at Full Price and most Collector's guides are not worth even 50% off IMO. If I won't buy games at full price, then why would I ever buy guides at full price?

#1416 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

I was at my local Walmart today and they had some guides on clearance. I imagine this is a huge YMMV.

Assassins Creed 3 $5
Assassins Creed Revelations $2
Dead Space 3 $5
Devil May Cry 2013 $2
Epic Mickey 2 $2
Gears of War: Judgement $5
Halo 4 $5
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword $2
Metal Gear Solid Rising $5
New Super Mario Bros U $2
Pokemon Black / White $5
Skylanders Giants $5
StarCraft 2 Heart of the Swarm $5

There might have been more that I don't recall. I picked up Gears (has a DLC code), SC2, NSMBU and Skylanders. My daughter loves the skylanders guide as it has stickers and a glow in the dark cover.

#1417 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

I was at my local Walmart today and they had some guides on clearance. I imagine this is a huge YMMV.

Assassins Creed 3 $5
Assassins Creed Revelations $2
Dead Space 3 $5
Devil May Cry 2013 $2
Epic Mickey 2 $2
Gears of War: Judgement $5
Halo 4 $5
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword $2
Metal Gear Solid Rising $5
New Super Mario Bros U $2
Pokemon Black / White $5
Skylanders Giants $5
StarCraft 2 Heart of the Swarm $5

There might have been more that I don't recall. I picked up Gears (has a DLC code), SC2, NSMBU and Skylanders. My daughter loves the skylanders guide as it has stickers and a glow in the dark cover.

Were there signs marking the prices? Red tagged or hand made?

#1418 thehoweller

thehoweller

IllegalCouponPrinter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

My daughter loves the skylanders guide as it has stickers and a glow in the dark cover.

Good man.

Posted Image
For the Earthbound fans...Visit this SMAAASH ing link!
Posted Image

#1419 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Were there signs marking the prices? Red tagged or hand made?

Red tags.

#1420 enigma

enigma

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hmmm. I have to hit the bank after my karaoke gig and there's one equal distances from here in different directions. The one direction will take me to Walmart's plaza. I might hit that one just to check.

I've noticed Walmart has actually been improving their clearance a bit lately. It's not on Target's level quite yet but it's a lot better than it used to be. Just the other day I picked up two Vizio micro USB chargers (that work fantastic with my phone and tablet) for $5.00 each and two 4-outlet remote control plugs for only $2.00 each. They're improving slowly but surely.

This is the outlet they had for $2.00:

Posted Image

#1421 sgaldis

sgaldis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

A lot of Wally's have been doing great clearances lately; unfortunately, like most deals there, they are very YMMV, and almost always store-specific. I have been getting some awesome, dirt cheap toys at one of the ones I frequent regularly, though. Always great to hoard away for birthdays and holidays while they're cheap!

#1422 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

enigma, that's really cool. Could totally use some of those. What brand are they?

#1423 enigma

enigma

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

enigma, that's really cool. Could totally use some of those. What brand are they?

I honestly have no idea. I was surprised I even found the image on Google. I'll check the brand and model when I get home. I may end up with a spare if you're interested. :razz:

#1424 Bount

Bount

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Went to Best Buy yesterday and MGR:R CE showed up as "Not For Sale". The guy kept trying to ring it up then looked on the back and said "oh, it's $34.99." Didn't want to argue about it not ringing up, but if you know a manager that would let you take it, might be worth a shot.

#1425 Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

The one with the big sword rng up for $35?

#1426 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

The one with the big sword rng up for $35?

Likely the guide and not the game as this is the reduced price guide thread

Tradelist   (Nintendo / Sony)  (Disclaimer for Paypal:  I will not send gift payment as this is a violation of  both CAG and Paypal ToS, Rules, UA et cetera, nor will I cover the fees, unless it is one  of Paypal's exceptions {e.g. Repayment of a purchase made for me.})

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#1427 Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

oh snaps, got a brain cramp and didnt realize it was the rpg thread.

My bad.

#1428 texasitalianboy

texasitalianboy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Went to Best Buy yesterday and MGR:R CE showed up as "Not For Sale". The guy kept trying to ring it up then looked on the back and said "oh, it's $34.99." Didn't want to argue about it not ringing up, but if you know a manager that would let you take it, might be worth a shot.

Actually, BB could get in trouble with their Vendors again if they are selling the books using a dummy SKU. The reason the book is not in inventory is because they have submitted that count and received credit from the Publisher for the book and thus they should be disposing of the book per their agreements with the Publishers. If they are getting credit for the book and then turning around and selling the book at full price, this could potentially be a problem for them.

If I were a BB Manager/Employee, I would not encourage this practice. Giving the book away should not be a problem as there would be no transaction recorded; however, they are supposed to destroy the book or send it back.

Personally, I think destroying a perfectly good book is sacrilege and the environmentalists should be all over this deplorable act.

#1429 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Alright guys, everything is updated in the OP. I am trying to work through a couple of small formating problems with the new software. Most notably the removal of custom spoilers (which I used a lot). Please bear with me while I try to figure this out over the next few days.

#1430 Bount

Bount

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Actually, BB could get in trouble with their Vendors again if they are selling the books using a dummy SKU. The reason the book is not in inventory is because they have submitted that count and received credit from the Publisher for the book and thus they should be disposing of the book per their agreements with the Publishers. If they are getting credit for the book and then turning around and selling the book at full price, this could potentially be a problem for them.

If I were a BB Manager/Employee, I would not encourage this practice. Giving the book away should not be a problem as there would be no transaction recorded; however, they are supposed to destroy the book or send it back.

Personally, I think destroying a perfectly good book is sacrilege and the environmentalists should be all over this deplorable act.

Went to BB today to try and pick up the MGR:R CE guide along with the game.  Brought it up to the register and they couldn't get it to ring up.  A manager came over and put in a dummy sku of a bunch of zeroes, wrote in the name of the guide and manually entered a price of $34.99.  I said the guide was old and shouldn't be that much and it wasn't ringing up at that price.  He answered with "well then you don't have to buy it."  So I didn't buy it or the game. Too much headache to try and rescue books these days.  

#1431 knight19

knight19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

To be fair, $34.99 is the price on the guide (MGR:R CE).  The price is clearly marked by the publisher.  BBY is under no obligation to sell it to you at a discount or give it to you for free since it is no longer in the system.  The manager is right - if you don't want to buy it at the price marked on the guide, you don't have to - at least he offered to sell it to you vs. telling you that you couldn't buy it. 

This isn't about customer service, this is about common sense.  If you walk into McDonalds and you don't like the price of a Big Mac, McDonalds isn't going to sell it to you at a discount or give it to you for free.  The expectation of anything else isn't the fault of McDonalds.

#1432 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

To be fair, $34.99 is the price on the guide (MGR:R CE).  The price is clearly marked by the publisher.  BBY is under no obligation to sell it to you at a discount or give it to you for free since it is no longer in the system.  The manager is right - if you don't want to buy it at the price marked on the guide, you don't have to - at least he offered to sell it to you vs. telling you that you couldn't buy it. 

This isn't about customer service, this is about common sense.  If you walk into McDonalds and you don't like the price of a Big Mac, McDonalds isn't going to sell it to you at a discount or give it to you for free.  The expectation of anything else isn't the fault of McDonalds.

but if sat on that shelf for $34.99 and no one bought it, why did the manager not try to get it out the door at $15 - 20,  my Best Buy used to mark down guides before they would go out of system.  I got several good deals.

Tradelist   (Nintendo / Sony)  (Disclaimer for Paypal:  I will not send gift payment as this is a violation of  both CAG and Paypal ToS, Rules, UA et cetera, nor will I cover the fees, unless it is one  of Paypal's exceptions {e.g. Repayment of a purchase made for me.})

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#1433 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

but if sat on that shelf for $34.99 and no one bought it, why did the manager not try to get it out the door at $15 - 20,  my Best Buy used to mark down guides before they would go out of system.  I got several good deals.

Because Best Buy clearances are YMMV? I've seen lots of threads where additional "clearance" / "reduced price" items at one Best Buy are still full price at the ones near me.

Plus, just because something isn't selling (or if it's not showing up for sale), doesn't give employees / managers discresion to just give it a massive discount (or hand it out for free). A person who does do that is probably extremely confident in their authority, or doesn't know / care about losing their job.

#1434 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

The Valve Store is selling Portal 2's hardcover collector's edition guide for $9.99 .  Be forewarned that shipping from Valve will START at around $10 for FedEx ground, so it's best to check out the rest of the merchandise to make the effort worthwhile, but on the plus side, they do have a considerable selection of prints, accessories, and apparel on sale.  Oh, and Washington-state residents will also pay sales tax.  Some info ...

P0909main.png

This strictly limited collectors edition of the official Portal 2 Game Guide features additional art, a hardcover binding and two bookmarks.

Publisher: Future Press
ISBN: 9783869930381
Pages: 384
Size: 8 1/4" x 11 1/2"

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#1435 Darby27

Darby27

2 Legit 2 Quit!

• CAG Veteran

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Assassins Creed 3 CE guides are still $6.99 in store at BB. Just picked up two as an investment.

MoH Frontline the game for PS2 is also $.02 at Gamestop for anyone who runs across one.

there are actually 200-300 ps2 games that are .02 at gamestop. If its not on the website, its $.02...

Ive had a lot of fun finding and picking up a BUNCH of penny ps2 games.

Is there a list anywhere, or one being made, of $.02 ps2 games at GS?

I just picked up 153 of them yesterday, so I have a decent list of some of them along with the gamestop sku/product numbers.

#1436 warboss zorbag

warboss zorbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Wow, if you could post that list that would be great.
I'd love to grab some old ps2 games for my son .
So Windwaker HD is like cocaine for my eyes.

#1437 Darby27

Darby27

2 Legit 2 Quit!

• CAG Veteran

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well the list is only about 30 games probably but I'll post it when I get home.

shockingly I just picked up a .02 copy of friends that is cib.

#1438 Rockabye

Rockabye

Been around

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

Want to get the Skyrim Legendary guides cheaper than Amazon's $32.XX or $21.XX?

Use this 15% off Barnes & Noble coupon (printable for in-store or 8RD3C35L8QSBC for use online) and you can get the hardcover collectors' edition for $29.56 shipped (it won't work for the non-hardcover version, because free shipping starts at $25, but you could probably find something cheap). But that coupon dies at 2:59 a.m. Eastern June 10 (...I dunno) online.

On the other hand, if you have a Barnes and Noble membership, and can get 40% off the list price of books in store, you will want to print it and take it in, where it's apparently valid through close of business on June 10. 40% off of the list price of $49.99 should get you to ~$30, and another 15% off will get you to ~$25.50, if my math is good.

And if you want to buy something cheap, you may be able to get a free two-month trial of the B&N membership in store that you could immediately use to buy the guide for ~$25.50 with the coupon.

This post is brought to you by an ancient Barnes & Noble gift card I wanted to use today! (I'm curious about the $0.02 PS2 games, though.)

#1439 arsenalcrazy8

arsenalcrazy8

As Cheap As Wenger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well the list is only about 30 games probably but I'll post it when I get home.

shockingly I just picked up a .02 copy of friends that is cib.

I can probably make one if its actually something that people want. If theres interest in it,  Im pretty sure I can list almost all of them. 

Up the Gunners!!!!!
I am Cheap, therefore I buy Cheap.

#1440 Bount

Bount

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Because Best Buy clearances are YMMV? I've seen lots of threads where additional "clearance" / "reduced price" items at one Best Buy are still full price at the ones near me.

Plus, just because something isn't selling (or if it's not showing up for sale), doesn't give employees / managers discresion to just give it a massive discount (or hand it out for free). A person who does do that is probably extremely confident in their authority, or doesn't know / care about losing their job.

All valid points.  Most of us are here to try and get deals on game related goods.  Some might see getting penny guides as an exploit to a system.  Others may feel that because the retail price checker can't find a price that they should get it for free. I don't really care either way.  Did I storm out upset and make a scene because I didn't get something for free? No.  Was I a little bummed that some people walk off with two or three guides whenever there's a drop. Yes.  The guide just doesn't hold any value over a penny to me, so I didn't buy it.  I just hate knowing that a perfectly good book is going to end up at the bottom of a landfill because it wasn't purchased at its full retail price.  I didn't mean to sound "entitled" in any way as I don't think I or anyone here has the "right" to free or discounted goods. It's just unfortunate when you know resources are being wasted. And I like to share my stories and see how others have fared when trying to get these deals too.  :)