Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post) Last Drop on 3/26

• Please log in to reply
1931 replies to this topic

#1531 Darby27

Darby27

2 Legit 2 Quit!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

GS is NOT supposed to sell you .01 guides so when they say they can't it's legitimate.  Every time you do get a .01 guide you're getting lucky since it's against policy.

This.

I was just commenting on the different attitudes at different stores. (even in the same district)

I just noticed something on the PUR site.  I bought MW3 used and a RE6 guide two days ago.  I got 319 PUR points.

$13.5 for MW3 should be 270 points base + 27(10%) for PUR pro.  So 297.  Which means I got 22 points for the $.01 I spent on the guide.  It seems that the penny guides are similar to the $.02 PS2 games in giving mega PUR points for purchases of them. (1100/$1 for the $.02 PS2 games for sure, and apparently 2200/$1 for $.01 guides)

#1532 SpidrMnky

SpidrMnky

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I guess my stores go by the book cause I've never found a penny guide. Even if its listed it either won't ring up differently or it's been pulled and I can't find it even if I know there was some there a couple days ago.

:hot: Earn free Amazon Gift Cards! PM if you have questions. :hot: 

#1533 spacegundam0079

spacegundam0079

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Had to go into Manhattan yesterday for work, checked the GS right there and left with

Aliens CM x 2
Fuse x 2
RE 6 x 2
COD BO II x 2
GOWJ x 2
WOW MOP x 2
DmC
Dishonored x 2
Starcraft II HotS HC x 2
Tomb Raider sealed with DC x 3

Most will be up for trade
Posted Image

#1534 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Wow people are getting super lucky lately.

#1535 Bount

Bount

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

anyone pick up the bioshock infinite CE guide?  it's not on the website anymore...

#1536 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

anyone pick up the bioshock infinite CE guide?  it's not on the website anymore...

You talking about Best Buy? I saw one at my local BB too...maybe I should go see if it's there.

#1537 Bount

Bount

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

You talking about Best Buy? I saw one at my local BB too...maybe I should go see if it's there.

Sorry was referencing Gamestop.  BB won't let me take penny guides anymore as they show up "unavailable for sale".

#1538 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Sorry was referencing Gamestop.  BB won't let me take penny guides anymore as they show up "unavailable for sale".

Yeah, but I might just take a chance on it.

#1539 Bount

Bount

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, but I might just take a chance on it.

Went to BB yesterday and Bioshock Infinite CE scanned at $36.99. Bummer. 

#1540 airblade

airblade

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Went to BB yesterday and Bioshock Infinite CE scanned at $36.99. Bummer. 

Same at my local BB, they also had a Hitman hardcover that didn't  scan and the cashier told me that they were supposed to pull those and not sell them. :(

#1541 notremiss

notremiss

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Scored a Tomb Raider CE at my local GameStop today. When it scanned he said, " Oh, I am not supposed to sell this but here have it anyway because I am just going to have to throw it away."

#1542 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Scored a Tomb Raider CE at my local GameStop today. When it scanned he said, " Oh, I am not supposed to sell this but here have it anyway because I am just going to have to throw it away."

Totally jealous. I actually need this book. I own every exclusive for this game, just missing the guide.

Care to trade?

#1543 Guest_KuroPansa_*

Guest_KuroPansa_*

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

GS is NOT supposed to sell you .01 guides so when they say they can't it's legitimate.  Every time you do get a .01 guide you're getting lucky since it's against policy.

GS is also NOT supposed to be a douchebag company that tries very hard to force you to preorder and sign up for their crappy membership, sell used games as new, and put filthy stickers on their game cases. But hey, they do.

#1544 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

GS is also NOT supposed to be a douchebag company that tries very hard to force you to preorder and sign up for their crappy membership, sell used games as new, and put filthy stickers on their game cases. But hey, they do.

its THEIR bussiness and they make THEIR OWN policys. you arent entitled to their guides so just let it go. people crying over a book they will barley look at anyway, goodness smh
Currently playing
:ps4: blacklight retribution, mlb 14, lego marvel, the transistor, contrast, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#1545 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

There it is, I was wondering where that sense of entitlement had gone off to.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#1546 Guest_KuroPansa_*

Guest_KuroPansa_*

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

its THEIR bussiness and they make THEIR OWN policys. you arent entitled to their guides so just let it go. people crying over a book they will barley look at anyway, goodness smh

Their store, their rules, huh? No, that's not how it works anymore. The customer makes the rules now. The store either likes it, or the customer stops shopping there. Enough customers do that, the store goes under.

There it is, I was wondering where that sense of entitlement had gone off to.

I'm not entitled to pennied guides. But I am entitled to being treated like a human and not like a wallet when I go into the store. But since I am treated like a wallet, I think getting some free guides in exchange for it is a fair trade. Problem? Then live with it.

#1547 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

That's right, I forgot, the sense of entitlement was left next to the big pile of rationalization.

When they ask you if you want to preorder, just put on your big boy pants and tell them you're not interested.  Since you know they're going to do this, how about you try following your own advice and stop shopping there.  Oh wait, that would remove the justification (in your mind) of being able to complain about not getting guides for a penny.  What to do, what to do?

• dfg likes this

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#1548 missingno81

missingno81

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

All the stores have their guides hidden so you have to request for them. Easy way not to sell penny guides I suppose. 

#1549 Guest_ChallengeEverything_*

Guest_ChallengeEverything_*

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

That's right, I forgot, the sense of entitlement was left next to the big pile of rationalization.

When they ask you if you want to preorder, just put on your big boy pants and tell them you're not interested.  Since you know they're going to do this, how about you try following your own advice and stop shopping there.  Oh wait, that would remove the justification (in your mind) of being able to complain about not getting guides for a penny.  What to do, what to do?

Actually in some cases offering to pre-order something can help grease the wheels a bit with some Gamestop employees.

Of course, some of the folks who whine about stores not selling them guides for a penny are fair weather customers who only go into stores for a deal or to try snapping up stuff they're not supposed to be sold in the first place like penny guides.

#1550 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Nice to see you still giving people evilness.

A troll will always be a troll....

Backlog_Overload For Presadento cowabunga

#1551 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Their store, their rules, huh? No, that's not how it works anymore. The customer makes the rules now. The store either likes it, or the customer stops shopping there. Enough customers do that, the store goes under.

Yeah, but the customer continues to support GameStop with viable alternatives actually shrinking instead of growing - meanwhile GameStop employees are getting more aggressive with the salesman behavior and the stores are becoming less friendly anyways. So customers are kinda doing a crappy job of rule making and I don't exactly see a sea change on the horizon if it hasn't happened after all these years.

Looking forward to it if/when it happens though. I do have to agree with the others that have stated that the companies are within their rights to adamantly deny penny guide sales. It's an agreement they made with the publishers to destroy them, for them that should certainly override our desire to get nearly free shit.

#1552 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Of course, some of the folks who whine about stores not selling them guides for a penny are fair weather customers who only go into stores for a deal or to try snapping up stuff they're not supposed to be sold in the first place like penny guides.

this is what some might call ironical.

I'm not entitled to pennied guides. But I am entitled to being treated like a human and not like a wallet when I go into the store. But since I am treated like a wallet, I think getting some free guides in exchange for it is a fair trade. Problem? Then live with it.

1.  You sound awfully entitled to me.  2. You are a wallet.  Get over it.  

You're not going to sway anyone in this thread that you're supposed to get penny guides.   People in this thread who have been here through thick and thin understand how awesome it is to get a penny guide.  We look at it as a good blessing, not as "I deserved to get that guide!" and then justify with all sorts of reasons that don't make sense.   Which is why you fail.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#1553 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

The only thing that irks me about gamestop is the 'new' games that are not factory sealed. I personally feel that is fraudulent. Maybe not in the terms of the law, but I consider it deceptive/wrong. Meanwhile Amazon is thinking about not letting resellers sell factory sealed items as 'new', if they were not bought through a distributor.

#1554 drawingboard

drawingboard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I saw there was activity in this thread so I came back after such a long absence. I haven't gotten a penny guide since that asshole cried to the publishers about Best Buy not giving him guides. After seeing the last couple posts, it seems like I'm not the only one not scoring guides anymore  :cry:

#1555 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

The only thing that irks me about gamestop is the 'new' games that are not factory sealed. I personally feel that is fraudulent. Maybe not in the terms of the law, but I consider it deceptive/wrong. Meanwhile Amazon is thinking about not letting resellers sell factory sealed items as 'new', if they were not bought through a distributor.

If they told you it is not sealed you have the option to not buy it.  It is only a problem when their website sold you a new game that is not sealed.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1556 TheGeonaut

TheGeonaut

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hey slowdive haven't seen you post in awhile. Where you been?

#1557 Darby27

Darby27

2 Legit 2 Quit!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Got a GoW Judgement CE today.  Rather ironic that they came out with a CE guide, but not a CE game.

Anyone know if the DLC code is worth anything these days?

#1558 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

Got a GoW Judgement CE today.  Rather ironic that they came out with a CE guide, but not a CE game.

Anyone know if the DLC code is worth anything these days?

From where, GS or BB?

#1559 Darby27

Darby27

2 Legit 2 Quit!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

From where, GS or BB?

Gamestop.

#1560 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

It's sad that its harder to get stuff from BB than it is Gs "anymore."

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade