Photo
- - - - -

Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post) Last Drop on 3/26

• Please log in to reply
1925 replies to this topic

#151 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

The shrinkwrap they use on guides really isn't as flimsy as you might think. All you'd have to do is use a fingernail and get one corner of the tape on the colored paper up and then slowly peel it up.

But either way, I believe the Skyrim guide out now is a SECOND edition and says so on the front cover someplace. So from a collector's standpoint, I doubt they will gain much value.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#152 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

The shrinkwrap they use on guides really isn't as flimsy as you might think. All you'd have to do is use a fingernail and get one corner of the tape on the colored paper up and then slowly peel it up.

But either way, I believe the Skyrim guide out now is a SECOND edition and says so on the front cover someplace. So from a collector's standpoint, I doubt they will gain much value.

That is correct. Originally the printing was very limited, and the guides were gaining value very quickly. Then they printed A TON of second editions and inflated the market. They aren't worth much anymore.

#153 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

That is correct. Originally the printing was very limited, and the guides were gaining value very quickly. Then they printed A TON of second editions and inflated the market. They aren't worth much anymore.

Darn it :( oh well I guess ill wait for the inevitable goty edition guide when I get the game. Hopefully it will have value like my wonderfull borderlands goty edition guide has
Currently playing
:ps4: murdered soul suspect, the transistor, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: wonderfull 101

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, knack : :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#154 enemyofusall

enemyofusall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

next time I go there I will check it out and see if it says 2nd ed. anywhere. Yeah maybe, idk. I tried in store and it wasn't working out too well.

gallery_474050_8161_61772.jpg

#155 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Yep. Who was the guy who made a chair out of them? I know it wasn't you, but I do remember a guy doing that.

I had a guide throne, but I didn't make a pic. I think I still have over 1,000 guides eventhough I have probably only bought 20 in the past 2 years.

#156 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

The Second Edition of the Skyrim CE guide has a large "SECOND EDITION" on the lower-right front cover. You really can't miss it if it's there.

Of course, I have no idea if there were any actual changes beyond putting that on the cover.

3G' and Friends Group Lowball is now OVER!!! Thank you, and please remember to leave feedback!!! 

Get a PS4 or $375 Conga Line, proof of payouts to CAGs in OP!

#157 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

I had a guide throne, but I didn't make a pic. I think I still have over 1,000 guides eventhough I have probably only bought 20 in the past 2 years.

Good luck if you ever move.

#158 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Good luck if you ever move.

I keep them at my parents house. ;) When I plan on playing a game I go there and pick up a guide.

#159 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

This could be the best episode of Hoarders... EVER.

I don't mean any offense.

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#160 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hey Cags this may be YMMV but my Best Buy store has a bunch of guides on clearance.
$9.99 Hardcover (all CE's):
BF3
TES: Skyrim
FFXIII-2
Gears of War 3
Uncharted 3

$4.99 Softcover:
BF3
Saints Row 3
..i forget the rest of the paparbacks :/. The only thing that sucks is they decided to put a HUGE C on colored paper and taped it to the plastic. Good luck getting it off while still keeping it sealed. Not 100% sure if it's a universal drop or not.

I ran across this same situation last summer with the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II CE. A hand-written price tag was applied to the front with $9.99 on it. Someone here said it was because they had an over abundance of stock and this is how they reduced stock. Ended up being YMMV.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#161 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hey Cags this may be YMMV but my Best Buy store has a bunch of guides on clearance.
$9.99 Hardcover (all CE's):
BF3
TES: Skyrim
FFXIII-2
Gears of War 3
Uncharted 3

$4.99 Softcover:
BF3
Saints Row 3
..i forget the rest of the paparbacks :/. The only thing that sucks is they decided to put a HUGE C on colored paper and taped it to the plastic. Good luck getting it off while still keeping it sealed. Not 100% sure if it's a universal drop or not.

I think this is the way that BB should sell guides on a normal basis. It makes more sense to drop the prices down incrementally over time (i.e. $39.99 -> $29.99 -> $19.99 -> $9.99) the same way they do with videogames. Many customers hold off buying games when they are $59.99 and wait until they are on sale for $39.99, $19.99 or lower.

I understand that they don't want to cannibalize their market, but the information in guides is available online for free. For completionists who like to hunt for in-game collectables, there are interactive online maps that are in many ways easier than using guidebooks.

I guess my point is it was stupid to try to sell a CE for $34.99 for a few months and then drop it straight to $.01 :) unless this was a specific stipulation mandated by all of the publishers.

I can still remember during the Genesis days when guides were $9.99 to $14.99 at MOST. Now the lowest priced one is $19.99 and we have guides going for $39.99 or MORE on the high end.

This is for information that's mostly readily available on the internet as it is.

I remember back in the day when you could buy a videogame for a nickel. And our videogames were kick the can, stick ball, and eating lead paint chips. These were our games and we were happy to have them dagnabbit.

:-P

People are always gonna bitch about something. You shoulda seen when I first found out about pennied guides. The hauls I had(20+ of one guide many times) and all of the bitching that people did in this thread about my hoarding. Those were amusing times.:booty:

Haterz gon' hate. Life is too short for all that hate. Even if you find the "Deal of the Year" every year for the next decade, people are still going to bitch about some dumb you might have done.

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#162 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Just checked with my local best buy, prices are still MSRP in the guides mentioned yesterday.

#163 PatelKing

PatelKing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

Just checked with my local best buy, prices are still MSRP in the guides mentioned yesterday.

full MSRP at mine too. sounds like store specific clearance.

#164 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

I guess my point is it was stupid to try to sell a CE for $34.99 for a few months and then drop it straight to $.01 :) unless this was a specific stipulation mandated by all of the publishers.

Yeah, seems really stupid for them not to drop by $5-$10 at a time to sell more. Logic states that as price goes down, sales usually go up.

#165 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

I think this is the way that BB should sell guides on a normal basis. It makes more sense to drop the prices down incrementally over time (i.e. $39.99 -> $29.99 -> $19.99 -> $9.99) the same way they do with videogames. Many customers hold off buying games when they are $59.99 and wait until they are on sale for $39.99, $19.99 or lower.

I understand that they don't want to cannibalize their market, but the information in guides is available online for free. For completionists who like to hunt for in-game collectables, there are interactive online maps that are in many ways easier than using guidebooks.

:applause:I would likely buy more guides at the discounted prices as opposed to waiting like I was for them to penny and trying like hell to find them once they did. Five or ten bucks for a guide(especially one as thick as Skyrim's) and I'd be sold.

What's worse is what happens to millions of these and many other items every day due to corporate mandates, where they end up joining the millions of unsold E.T. cartridges in their own respective landfills.

While I have learned to respect that retailers do get some sort of credit for somehow proving they did destroy product they said they destroyed, I still think it's a majorly asinine and wasteful process.

Posted Image

#166 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Damn, at first I thought he was asking how to find out which guides are on clearance. Time for some sleep!

Edited by Invicta 61, 25 March 2012 - 09:42 AM.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#167 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

How exactly do these penny guides work? Do you just go to the store and have a handful of guides scanned or do you have some kind of system that shows the price drops for you?

For a while the penny guides would show up as $.01 on the Best Buy website. But we mainly rely on people who work at BB and GS for information on drops. Although I remember someone mentioned a while ago that you could use the wish list feature on Gamestops' site and put every guide they have in stock on that wish list. When those physical copies of guides get deleted from the wish list, then it's a safe bet that they've pennied in store.

Beware though as some guides have a listing for the digital version listed on GS.com besides the physical version.

Posted Image

#168 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Soul Calibur V hardcover dropped to $15 at gamestop today. Lowest ever.

#169 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

For a while the penny guides would show up as $.01 on the Best Buy website. But we mainly rely on people who work at BB and GS for information on drops. Although I remember someone mentioned a while ago that you could use the wish list feature on Gamestops' site and put every guide they have in stock on that wish list. When those physical copies of guides get deleted from the wish list, then it's a safe bet that they've pennied in store.

Beware though as some guides have a listing for the digital version listed on GS.com besides the physical version.

We really havent rely on people who worked there for a while now. It is really people going out and scanning stuff.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#170 refluxx

refluxx

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

Last penny guide I found at my Gamestop was the CE Battlefield 3 guide. It was the manager so he wrote "not for sale or trade" all over the front cover, but it was free so I can't really complain! Plus it cleaned off pretty well with alcohol. xD

#171 MrSmiley1

MrSmiley1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Not sure if there is anyone from the Kalamazoo area on here but if there is, I just saw a Halo Reach guide stashed under one of the guide racks here at Best Buy. Everything else has been picked over/pulled.

#172 HotJuicyBurgers

HotJuicyBurgers

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

*tumble weed rolls across the ground*

#173 microchip2378

microchip2378

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Darkness 2 and Madden 12 pennied today at Gamestop

#174 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Okay thanks! I will update when I'm on my computer. I am on my mobile right now.

Edit: I am adding them. Can anyone confirm them for sure?

Edited by Dark Rider, 18 April 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#175 boneless

boneless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I can confirm Darkness 2 and Madden 12 also.

#176 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Oh Fuck Yea ! Time for more hoarding lol
Currently playing
:ps4: murdered soul suspect, the transistor, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: wonderfull 101

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, knack : :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#177 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Oh Fuck Yea ! Time for more hoarding lol

Teh sadness. I miss my days of being able to hoard guides like a mf'er. Mind ya, my family is happy as hell that BB stopped doing guide drops and that GS stores around here are mostly staffed by people that follow the rules anymore.:-#

I still have stacks of guides that I could trade or sell to people, but nothing new has dropped recently(i.e. Skyrim, Kingdoms Of Amalur, other stuff I'd actually CARE to get) so here they sit.:cry:

Posted Image

#178 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

One of my gamestops had around 10 madden 12 guides ! However i didnt need all of them so i only got 3 of them. I also brought the two remaining darkness 2 guides that were there. I might search for more darkness 2 guides for anyone here who needs them.

Oh and thanks to the cheapie who gave the guide update :)
Currently playing

#179 hellmutt

hellmutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

One of my gamestops had around 10 madden 12 guides ! However i didnt need all of them so i only got 3 of them. I also brought the two remaining darkness 2 guides that were there. I might search for more darkness 2 guides for anyone here who needs them.

Oh and thanks to the cheapie who gave the guide update :)

I need!... And I'm sure a lot of other people too if you're able to turn a few extras up.
Posted Image

#180 spacegundam0079

spacegundam0079

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

@ SEF , NY is an Oasis of Madden Guides . I must have seen no lie about 25 copies at the GS's I checked in on . But None had Darkness II . I did get two Maddens one for my boys and one for my nephew .
Posted Image