Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post) Last Drop on 3/26

• Please log in to reply
1926 replies to this topic

#211 slppedyoursster

slppedyoursster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

No Uncharted even available anywhere to buy before the drop. Darkness 2 was destroyed last week in my area. I did get a Syndicate today though.

AWESOME! I am glad that you got a Syndicate guide. I was starting to worry that no one was going to find one and say I posted bad information. LOL.

#212 j.t

j.t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

Still no Uncharted 3 for me. Hit up 3 different stores tonight. None even had a guide rack anymore, they just had like 3 guides by the register. Sucks but I saw a couple of hardcover Uncharted 3 at 2 different BB so I still have a chance to get an UC3 guide.

#213 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Still no Uncharted 3 for me. Hit up 3 different stores tonight. None even had a guide rack anymore, they just had like 3 guides by the register. Sucks but I saw a couple of hardcover Uncharted 3 at 2 different BB so I still have a chance to get an UC3 guide.

I'm not aware of any best buy price drop, especially on the hardcover guide.

#214 j.t

j.t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

I'm not aware of any best buy price drop, especially on the hardcover guide.

It didn't drop but I'll could possibly pick it up if it drops.

#215 Mistar Muffin

Mistar Muffin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I went by the the notoriously slack ass Gamestop sorta-near me last night and found Uncharted 3 on the shelves. Rang up $0.01 played dumb and walked with it.

I say slack ass because I can always find a lingering guide here or there on their shelves after a pull (and they always pull).

#216 hellmutt

hellmutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Found a Syndicate guide, but the bastard ass-ociate wouldn't sell it to me. I'm depriving Best Buy of money by getting their pennied guides, but I can't seem to ruin the one store that I really want to. I really hate Gamestop. Hurry up and die already. I want you gone.

This you don't want. Best Buy likes competing with Gamestop. All our prices will rise if Gamestop dies.
Posted Image

#217 havuk

havuk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

This you don't want. Best Buy likes competing with Gamestop. All our prices will rise if Gamestop dies.

this ^^^. why don't you just stop shopping there???

#218 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

this ^^^. why don't you just stop shopping there???

Do we have any news from our BB insiders? Where have all the penny guides gone?

Edited by shrike4242, 30 April 2012 - 10:18 PM.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#219 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

None even had a guide rack anymore, they just had like 3 guides by the register.

Sounds like my area. I've been to half a dozen GS over the past couple of months and none of them have had a guide rack. I purchased a Rage guide at one but had to ask for it. The girl checked the computer and then went to the back for it. The only GS with a guide rack (by guide rack I mean 5 or 6 guides) was a store at a mall.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010 2009

#220 hellmutt

hellmutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Do we have any news from our BB insiders? Where have all the penny guides gone?

As far as all the chatter has gone, we think BB has found a way to end penny guides forever.
Posted Image

#221 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

As far as all the chatter has gone, we think BB has found a way to end penny guides forever.

Yeah. Didn't someone report finding one of the last guides that were reported to be on a pull list a while ago and having it ring up MSRP at the register, but when they checked it in the in store inventory system it showed the $.01 price?

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#222 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yeah. Didn't someone report finding one of the last guides that were reported to be on a pull list a while ago and having it ring up MSRP at the register, but when they checked it in the in store inventory system it showed the $.01 price?

Yeah, it showed up as $.01 in the RSS but when it was scaned it rang up full price. I think it was the Dragon Age 2 guide, don't hold me to it though.

#223 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

That's what I thought I remembered reading.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#224 Waynetid

Waynetid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

A month ago I found 3x Red Dead Redemption guide in BBY. Took one up and it rang up at .01 but the cashier talked to the manager who said they couldn't sell it, went over to the gaming department and took all three guides off the shelf. =(

On the bright side hit the guide jackpot yesterday at GameStop. Got the Red Dead Redemption I wanted, Golden Sun, Cataclysm Atlas, Brotherhood, Donkey Kong Returns, Ratchet & Clank, Fallout NV CE all for a cent each, and Skyrim for $33 and FFXII LE for $12. Cashier saw my pile and told me I might like some other guides as well, went to the back room and gave me Borderlands GOTY and Battlefield 3 CE. Made three preorders which I wont pick up as a thank you lol. They also had a few more hardcover guides that I wanted but I couldn't take them with everything else so will go back soon for them.

#225 fmwross2

fmwross2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I was told by the gaming manager at my Best Buy that they don't do penny guides anymore. He didn't elaborate.

#226 caedeskhan

caedeskhan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Apparently a memo was sent out a few weeks back telling employees not to sell the guides for a penny. Given the YMMV nature of BBY employees I don't think that would be a huge issue, but the pre-pulling practice has really killed any chance at guides...

And if it helps anyone, I scanned a Borderlands GOTY today and it was still $29.99.

#227 CaptainPickles

CaptainPickles

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Stopped in at a Gamestop out of town today. Picked up a copy of Syndicate. Also saw a second of Syndicate, and an LA Noir, but as I was already getting a Syndicate and already have a LA Noir, I left them on the shelf for (hopefully) the next guy (in that I mean I hope someone else gets it and they are not simply pulled). Saw a few copies of Rage...surprised that is not pennied yet.

I think I will stop at my local Gamestop tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

#228 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

I was told by the gaming manager at my Best Buy that they don't do penny guides anymore. He didn't elaborate.

He didn't mention a memo to the publishers?

#229 Frosty The Batman

Frosty The Batman

Luv that dirty water

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Well since my life totally sucks and my latest business venture failed I might be going back to Best Buy but instead of asset protection, I might be getting the full time gaming position. I really don't wanna go back but I'll be on the inside again and waste my time looking up info on guides and cheap games.

You know, instead of helping customers cause everyone that works at BB ignores the customers.

6041.png

#230 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Well since my life totally sucks and my latest business venture failed I might be going back to Best Buy but instead of asset protection, I might be getting the full time gaming position. I really don't wanna go back but I'll be on the inside again and waste my time looking up info on guides and cheap games.

You know, instead of helping customers cause everyone that works at BB ignores the customers.

You can always tell the newbies to the veteran employees. Vets walk away from customers, the white shirts come up to you.

#231 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thanks, Frosty. Glad to see you have your priorities straight. ;)

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#232 CaptainPickles

CaptainPickles

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Stopped in at a Gamestop out of town today. Picked up a copy of Syndicate. Also saw a second of Syndicate, and an LA Noir, but as I was already getting a Syndicate and already have a LA Noir, I left them on the shelf for (hopefully) the next guy (in that I mean I hope someone else gets it and they are not simply pulled). Saw a few copies of Rage...surprised that is not pennied yet.

I think I will stop at my local Gamestop tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

Went to my local Gamestop today, found a Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and a Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. Pretty surprised, first guides I have ever found locally.

#233 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Crap, my penny guide hunting has alerted one of my gamestops. The manager said
"Sorry you wont be getting any penny guides as long as im here" i jokes with him and i said with a smerk "Its all good, hope you enjoy them collecting dust". I have plenty of other gamestops to go to anyway :)
Currently playing
:ps4: the transistor, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#234 hellmutt

hellmutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

"Sorry you wont be getting any penny guides as long as im here" i jokes with him and i said with a smerk "Its all good, hope you enjoy them collecting dust". I have plenty of other gamestops to go to anyway :)

You didn't ask him what his hours were? LOL.
Posted Image

#235 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Serious question: are you 12?

You have absolutely nothing to gain from antagonizing someone who is doing their job, other than the satisfaction of going, "BUUUURRRRRN!" in your head as you walk out. (And then posting about it online.) Managers get in trouble for giving us guides, if the DM has that as a priority. Guides in my area dried up overnight because of a new DM who would literally travel to every store the day after guides dropped and would check their records for every single penny guide.

Rather than burning those bridges, it pays to stay friendly and understanding. Then, when the pressure is off, they may hook you up again. As for penny guides collecting dust, it sounds like this manager will dump them in a landfill like he's supposed to. The poo and sludge will protect them from dust. ;)

#236 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

That sucks dude!

When i learn a guide at gamestop has pennied out through CAG, i make it a point to try and get something from the store other than the guide/s (ie. buy a game, trade in a game other than just go to the register with the guide/s). 100% of the time... the employee will just give me the guide and then asked me to do the feedback thing. hehe!

Its also good to hangout at the store once in a while and have little conversation with them about games and get on their good side.

#237 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Serious question: are you 12?

You have absolutely nothing to gain from antagonizing someone who is doing their job, other than the satisfaction of going, "BUUUURRRRRN!" in your head as you walk out. (And then posting about it online.) Managers get in trouble for giving us guides, if the DM has that as a priority. Guides in my area dried up overnight because of a new DM who would literally travel to every store the day after guides dropped and would check their records for every single penny guide.

Rather than burning those bridges, it pays to stay friendly and understanding. Then, when the pressure is off, they may hook you up again. As for penny guides collecting dust, it sounds like this manager will dump them in a landfill like he's supposed to. The poo and sludge will protect them from dust. ;)

I do know him, i was busting his chops like i always do lol. I know he was doing his job. I was just having some fun thats all :). It does suck however that i have one less place to get my penny guides
Currently playing
:ps4: the transistor, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#238 gedean

gedean

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Found Syndicate and Darkness II guides at my local gamestop (Culver City), both marked 1cent but was unable to purchase them. The associate said sorry and put them under the counter, oh well =/

#239 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Found Syndicate and Darkness II guides at my local gamestop (Culver City), both marked 1cent but was unable to purchase them. The associate said sorry and put them under the counter, oh well =/

Weird that the store even marked it out $1c and put it on shelves and not sell it to you when you saw them in the floor? But yeah, sorry for the loss man.

#240 Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry

Witty remark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Went to my local Gamestop today, found a Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and a Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. Pretty surprised, first guides I have ever found locally.

Looks like I got some hunting to do...

ZuREZ44.jpg

I pay $20 a month for my phone bill. Sign up through me and we both get $25 off our bills! That's a free month! PM me for more info if you're curious.

Wanna try League of Legends? Try it out here!: http://bit.ly/1uEevsK