2 Months Xbox LIVE Gold for $2

mutepaladin

CAG Veteran
So my Gold account expired yesterday, and a little ad on the right side of the dashboard said I could re-subscribe for 2 months for $2! Sure enough, I signed right up. Only downside is auto-renew is turned on, which I had to go online to turn off lest I get charged $10 when the two months run out.

This is a rolling promotion for silver members. I have several 3 month cards stashed away from Black Friday, but playing the game of staying silver and getting $1/1 and $2/2 months has worked the past 4 months since December.

Just remember to turn off auto-renew.

Before my last 4 $1 months I was on 5 stackable Jack Links Beef Jerky $1 months. I was actually OP on that, it got 40,000+ views in the first 24 hours on CAG and SD.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']So you do this then you get to take your cc info off from microsoft's data right?[/QUOTE]

That is how I did it back in december. Used my CC info, then was able to remove it from my console with the account settings. Would love to jump on this deal, but I mainly bought the gold upgrade to get some exclusive weekly deals. Now that those have gone back to being crap, I am going to hold off until I see an exclusive that I like.

Thanks op. Didn't quite want to renew my gold subscription for a full year just yet.
hfdalf

Just making sure im paranoid to these types of things. This is cheaper, than trading with a cag member for 1 month of live. Hopefully i get the 2 for 2 next month.

So far I've gotten 4 months free from MS chat support when I've had to repeatedly ask for help on an issue that's still not resolved.

But if you don't have a support issue, this method is good too.

Does anyone know the thread that was posted with a link last week for 2/3montha for $1 or so? I cant seem to find it.

I wish that netflix one month promo would come back from two years ago. I only made 3-4 grand off of that and still have gold through 2013, lol. This promo was in early 2010 or late 2009 i believe.

I had well over 300 one months, god i want that to come back. dammit haha

[quote name='JPLS']It only offers me one month for a dollar... Probably because last month I bought one for a buck also.[/QUOTE]

I skipped that offer for a week then I did see the 2 for $2 later.

Rant mode for a moment...

It HAS to be illegal for MSFT to shove ads down the throats of PAYING members. I can see ads on free accounts but never on paid subscriptions.

[quote name='Romeo']I skipped that offer for a week then I did see the 2 for $2 later.

It HAS to be illegal for MSFT to shove ads down the throats of PAYING members. I can see ads on free accounts but never on paid subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean? I see adds on my gold account. They are in the corner window if you scroll over it, then it starts playing the ad. Is silver worse?

[quote name='Romeo']I skipped that offer for a week then I did see the 2 for $2 later.

It HAS to be illegal for MSFT to shove ads down the throats of PAYING members. I can see ads on free accounts but never on paid subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

how is it illegal? YOU choose to pay for the service, and if you don't like their ads then don't subscribe...easy solution.

[quote name='oldboy26']how is it illegal? YOU choose to pay for the service, and if you don't like their ads then don't subscribe...easy solution.[/QUOTE]

Understood. Then why is it games require a gold account to use features that you just paid $60 for? Look at Halo Reach. $60 when it came out on two discs, one single player, one multiplayer. You are FORCED to pay for the online aspect then on top of that have to pay a minimum of $5 per month.

[quote name='shivan128']That is how I did it back in december. Used my CC info, then was able to remove it from my console with the account settings. Would love to jump on this deal, but I mainly bought the gold upgrade to get some exclusive weekly deals. Now that those have gone back to being crap, I am going to hold off until I see an exclusive that I like.[/QUOTE]
Is it really as simple as this? I seem to recall more than a few horror stories about people trying and failing to cancel/get their credit cards removed, and even of some people getting locked out of their accounts when their cards expired and they didn't pay the fees.

I've never had nor really wanted gold, and I've always avoided these types of deals because it just wasn't worth the hassle to me to unlink all my stuff or risk getting locked out of my account because I used a virtual credit card that expires in a month to pay for it.

If it's really as easy as it seems from my research, then I guess maybe I'll try this out. Just started into Borderlands and want to play with my brother. For a $1, yeah, sure, let's give it a go. For $1 and some pain in the ass time spent undoing what I've done, well, maybe not so much.

[quote name='Quadriflax']Is it really as simple as this? I seem to recall more than a few horror stories about people trying and failing to cancel/get their credit cards removed, and even of some people getting locked out of their accounts when their cards expired and they didn't pay the fees.

I've never had nor really wanted gold, and I've always avoided these types of deals because it just wasn't worth the hassle to me to unlink all my stuff or risk getting locked out of my account because I used a virtual credit card that expires in a month to pay for it.

If it's really as easy as it seems from my research, then I guess maybe I'll try this out. Just started into Borderlands and want to play with my brother. For a $1, yeah, sure, let's give it a go. For $1 and some pain in the ass time spent undoing what I've done, well, maybe not so much.[/QUOTE]

MSFT added the ability to shut auto-renew off right on xboxlive.com. Just log in and it's right in plain sight.

[quote name='Romeo']MSFT added the ability to shut auto-renew off right on xboxlive.com. Just log in and it's right in plain sight.[/QUOTE]
Sweet. That seemed to be the case, but makes me wonder why they didn't always have that option. Sounds like I might give gold a try finally.

[quote name='Romeo']Understood. Then why is it games require a gold account to use features that you just paid $60 for? Look at Halo Reach. $60 when it came out on two discs, one single player, one multiplayer. You are FORCED to pay for the online aspect then on top of that have to pay a minimum of $5 per month.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. YOU paid for it. You understood you need gold to play and you paid for it. If you didn't want those ads or to pay for online, you could have bought a different game.

[quote name='Chemosh013']Exactly. YOU paid for it. You understood you need gold to play and you paid for it. If you didn't want those ads or to pay for online, you could have bought a different game.[/QUOTE]

Reach was supposed to be a single player add-on only. MSFT forced multiplayer at an added $30 plus month fees.

Are you saying you agree that it's okay to charge for a service and have ads forced upon you incessantly and constantly?

[quote name='Romeo']It HAS to be illegal for MSFT to shove ads down the throats of PAYING members. I can see ads on free accounts but never on paid subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

You can block the worst of the Xbox dashboard ads through your router's configuration.

[quote name='Thrinn']You can block the worst of the Xbox dashboard ads through your router's configuration.[/QUOTE]

I've heard of that before. I need to that. I tire of going through the dashboard then all of a sudden "OMG LOUD NOISES" as icon highlights an ad for .5 seconds.

[quote name='Romeo']Reach was supposed to be a single player add-on only. MSFT forced multiplayer at an added $30 plus month fees.

Are you saying you agree that it's okay to charge for a service and have ads forced upon you incessantly and constantly?[/QUOTE]

Isn't that how cable and satellite television works? What about having to sit through ads at a movie I paid $14 to see? While I don't necessarily like it, there is nothing illegal about a company selling ads to generate more revenue for a service it also charges the customer to purchase.

[quote name='Quadriflax']Sweet. That seemed to be the case, but makes me wonder why they didn't always have that option. Sounds like I might give gold a try finally.[/QUOTE]

The option on the website was definitely there before and I had even used it, but around the time of the $10 annual price increase (I think) it seemed to disappear. Bad on their part but at least they (finally) corrected that mistake.

PS: With the new dashboard update I never hear the ads anymore. You always know where they will be (bottom right corner) so I never move the cursor over it plus you can use the bumpers to move between the pages. If anything it's an improvement over the old dashboard where the ads were mixed in between the actual content.

[quote name='Romeo']I've heard of that before. I need to that. I tire of going through the dashboard then all of a sudden "OMG LOUD NOISES" as icon highlights an ad for .5 seconds.[/QUOTE]

It's not very involved at all and takes about 5 minutes to do so if you're familiar with how to configure your router. Just add rad.msn.com to its blacklist, clear your Xbox's system cache, and you're good to go. It won't remove all the ads, but it'll take care of the video ones in the bottom-right corner of the dashboard.

[quote name='Thrinn']It's not very involved at all and takes about 5 minutes to do so if you're familiar with how to configure your router. Just add rad.msn.com to its blacklist, clear your Xbox's system cache, and you're good to go. It won't remove all the ads, but it'll take care of the video ones in the bottom-right corner of the dashboard.[/QUOTE]

Can it interfere with anything else on my home network?

[quote name='Romeo']Can it interfere with anything else on my home network?[/QUOTE]

I've had some minor issues with Safari on the iPad after the change. Some sites that integrate ads from Microsoft can pause for a several seconds while it waits for a response from the blacklisted server. Depending on your router firmware you may be able to tell it to allow the ads to go through as usual to a specific device such as the iPad while blocking it on your Xbox and that will sidestep that issue. Other browsers haven't had a problem. Beyond that I haven't had a problem on any device since I made the change when MS updated the Xbox dashboard. Interestingly enough the dashboard ads are replaced with placeholder pics of avatars cheering, as if they're happy to not have to deal with the ads either. ;)

[quote name='Chemosh013']Exactly. YOU paid for it. You understood you need gold to play and you paid for it. If you didn't want those ads or to pay for online, you could have bought a different game.[/QUOTE]

Of course the understanding only comes from reading the fine print (sort of like signing a contract with the devil). Granted it's easy to research that you are required to pay extra fro MP privileges, it's still a bit of a scam. Really you're paying extra so MS can invest in apps and "Gold" content that makes more money by partnering with Netflix, ESPN, and other media content. Just let me play my games please.

I only pay for Gold when they do promotions like this, so the $2 for 2 months was a welcomed sight. I held off on the $1 deal, as that always seems to make the next offer take forever. They drop this subscription thing below $20 for a year, and I'd consider it, but as it stands, this gold stuff is a ripoff.

not going on anymore?

redeemed a 2 day gold pass from Halo:CE and now I only get the ad for $5 a month if you pay $60 up front. I dont know if it was because of my gold pass or what.

[quote name='kjs7']not going on anymore?

redeemed a 2 day gold pass from Halo:CE and now I only get the ad for $5 a month if you pay $60 up front. I dont know if it was because of my gold pass or what.[/QUOTE]
It was working as of yesterday. I had some issues with the one month for $1 promo. It wouldn't take two of my CCs, both giving different error codes. Xbox chat couldn't resolve so they sent me a free month via email. I held off on activating, then, on Saturday, tada, two months for $2. And this time my card worked, first try.

From what I've read, it only shows if you've been silver for a while, so you may have reset the counter. But, supposedly it comes around fairly frequently. I'd keep an eye out.

Nice, this will be 6 months for $6. Hopefully I can keep this up for as long as possible. Thanks MS!

bread's done
Back