Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 11/13: Game Show & Persona Sale! 11/19: PS+ on Vita Begins!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10415 replies to this topic

#7411 mebegod

mebegod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

between pressing the bluray, case, cover art/instruction manual and shipping I feel comfortable its not pennies for everything

#7412 Kstyle

Kstyle

Sony Fan boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Surprisingly, these digital copies actually sell pretty well. What I don't understand is the people who seem to think the packaging makes up a significant portion of the costs. That's like pennies per copy.

you are not counting shipping, handling and manufacturing.
yes the disc it self and plastic case might not cost much to make but that isn't all to it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
PSN (US) : Tomoyo-MKII
PSN (ASIA) : Tomoyo-HK
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing : Ragnarok Odyssey, Atelier Totori Plus

#7413 nightmare452

nightmare452

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

And that will be a sad day. I already have trouble with the concept of "owning" digital-only XBLA and PSN titles. I'd love to see some sort of digital 2nd hand PSN market (overseen by Sony) where you could sale your licenses to play games/DLC for a few bucks less than full price. So I could get a few bucks for selling my game, someone else could buy the game for a few bucks cheaper, and Sony and the Publisher can still take a little bit of the cut too.

I think Steam is starting to try something like this out, with in-game content I believe.

This is a nice idea, but IMO it would never happen. Why? Cause a digital copy cannot in and of itself ever be considered 'used' the way we consider used games today. A digital copy is still the same today, than it was the day it was sold initially.

Who would ever buy a new digital copy of a game when you can get 100% the same thing cheaper on an off-side digital store. Again, I would welcome this idea, but it would never happen if it sold digital games at cheaper prices cause it would eliminate actual sales. A rental system I could see, where you rent a digital game for a few hours or a day for a portion of the full game.

Now playing: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (XB1), Dark Souls (PC), Starcraft 2 (PC), Infamous: Second Son (PS4), Dead Rising 3 (XB1), Rouge Legacy (PSV).

#7414 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://blog.us.plays...on-release-day/

Here's the full post about Sony's new Day 1 Digital initiative:

The month of October is an exciting one for PS3 gamers, with a plethora of AAA titles hitting store shelves over the next four weeks. I’m excited to announce today that eight of the hottest upcoming titles will be available on PlayStation Network the same day they hit retailers through a new program called PSN Day 1 Digital!

To celebrate the launch of this new program, we’re giving you access to participate in “digital game launches,” so you can get your hands on great games releasing in October, without having to leave home. We’re also giving you the chance to pre-order select games ahead of their release date and offering 10% discounts on a number of titles for PlayStation Plus members.

This new program aims to bring you the best PS3 titles digitally through PlayStation Network. Throughout the month of October, we will be offering the following titles for download on day 1:

Resident Evil 6
(Available for download on October 2nd – $59.99)

NBA 2K13
(Available for download on October 2nd – $59.99/$53.99 for PS Plus members, with pre-order)*

Dishonored
(Available for download on October 9th – $59.99/$53.99 for PS Plus members, with pre-order)*

DOOM 3: BFG Edition
(Available for download on October 16th – $39.99/$35.99 for PS Plus members, with pre-order)*

007: Legends
(Available for download on October 16th – $59.99)+

Medal Of Honor: Warfighter
(Available for download on October 23rd – $59.99)

Need For Speed: Most Wanted
(Available for download on October 30th – $59.99/$53.99 for PS Plus members, with pre-order)*

Assassin’s Creed III
(Available for download on October 30th – $59.99)*

* Available for pre-order
+ 10% discount for PS Plus members during first week of availability

We have more exciting info on all these titles to tell you about in the coming weeks, so be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog each week for in-depth posts on these games. And let us know in the comments which Day 1 Digital titles you’ll be downloading on release day!

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#7415 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

between pressing the bluray, case, cover art/instruction manual and shipping I feel comfortable its not pennies for everything

What do most of these major games ship? At least a million copies? At that scale, pressing the Blu-Ray, case, cover art, and even shipping is MAYBE $3 total and that's likely mostly from shipping. Pressing materials at that scale is probably not even pennies per copy, and it gets even cheaper as the scale goes up. The 10% discount is more than making up for manufacturing and shipping costs.

The money saved would be from the retailer's cut but from what I hear, retailers don't make that much money off of new games.

And that will be a sad day. I already have trouble with the concept of "owning" digital-only XBLA and PSN titles. I'd love to see some sort of digital 2nd hand PSN market (overseen by Sony) where you could sale your licenses to play games/DLC for a few bucks less than full price. So I could get a few bucks for selling my game, someone else could buy the game for a few bucks cheaper, and Sony and the Publisher can still take a little bit of the cut too.

I think Steam is starting to try something like this out, with in-game content I believe.

I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of going to a completely digital market is to get rid of the used market.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7416 Saablic

Saablic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

+1 to all these comments. I don't understand the appeal of day one digital purchases at all. Maybe it's just because we're all CAGs and we understand how much money we're leaving on the table by buying Day 1 digitally...is anyone here planning to buy any of these games digitally day 1? If so, maybe you could explain your reasoning behind it? I'd like to hear a well thought out answer.

I might get day one digital releases. Most of the time I won't because I am a cheapass and 10% off (for being a + member) won't be enough. My reasons that I might are as follows:

1. I don't have to leave my house to get it if I didn't decide to pay for release day shipping or something. Going to the store costs gas and time and my time is the most valuable thing to me now.

2. I don't need more game laying around my house. This is why I am almost exclusively digital on PC. I get day one PC digital version all the time because they do have sales for them.

3. A digital version could work out for the better in the future. If I had bought more of my PSP games digitally I would be able to play them on my Vita. Not a for sure thing but if you aren't tied to a format it helps. Of course Sony could take it off the store so it is a risk both ways in that sense.

4. I never sell back games personally. I build my collection and keep it. Since I do a lot of research into games I buy it is very rarely that I feel like I paid more than I got out of it so I don't have that desire to get some money back out of it versus not having it available for some random replay.

5. No risk of me misplacing a game or having it damaged. After moving around a couple of times I cannot tell you where some of my old PC games ended up. Damage doesn't usually happen but it does not and again. Such as the 360 tearing up a disc. It will probably be a bigger issue when I have a kid tearing around the house / playing my old games.

While this might be more valid for just why I like digital as an option, it still applies to why I might end up with a day one digital download. I can see the argument for a physical copy, especially if you love to resell games, but I am primarily a PC gamer and even before digital I wasn't able to resell my games most of the time for years now and you see consoles following the same route (CD Keys!)

TLDR: I like the advantages there are for digital and I am all for more options.

#7417 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

+1 to all these comments. I don't understand the appeal of day one digital purchases at all. Maybe it's just because we're all CAGs and we understand how much money we're leaving on the table by buying Day 1 digitally...is anyone here planning to buy any of these games digitally day 1? If so, maybe you could explain your reasoning behind it? I'd like to hear a well thought out answer.

There are CAGs that are excited about this kind of stuff, as I've seen people PMing me and posting in the PS Store threads I run about whether games like Borderlands 2, FIFA 13, and others were going to be on the PS Store at launch or even have the option to pre-order.

I'd guess that not everybody plays games like you and throws them out to Amazon, GameStop, or whoever as a trade-in. There are a number of games that people will play for an extremely long time, so it's worth it to get the digital version to have instant access to it whenever they want to play it. Some of these games are going to be a bit cheaper for PS+, so they can save a little in the same process. I'm surprised that you guys cannot even fathom why this news would appeal to some people.

I'll be picking up LBP Vita today when the store updates because that's a game I'd like to have digitally without the need to swap cards just to play it, though it'd be a bigger help if Sony added folders ASAP so I'd be able to keep more games on my memory card without having to delete stuff first.

#7418 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image
+ Morgan Haro on September 25th, 2012 at 9:31 am said:
Some of these releases may have midnight releases. We’ll update here on the blog when we’re ready to share which releases can be picked up at midnight on PSN.

+1 lets hope he can accomplish releasing the games on midnight instead of waiting for psn store to update =)

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           Shares 4 Sale

rpg49ers.png 1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#7419 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

This is a nice idea, but IMO it would never happen. Why? Cause a digital copy cannot in and of itself ever be considered 'used' the way we consider used games today. A digital copy is still the same today, than it was the day it was sold initially.

Who would ever buy a new digital copy of a game when you can get 100% the same thing cheaper on an off-side digital store. Again, I would welcome this idea, but it would never happen if it sold digital games at cheaper prices cause it would eliminate actual sales. A rental system I could see, where you rent a digital game for a few hours or a day for a portion of the full game.

I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of going to a completely digital market is to get rid of the used market.

You're both right. I think the number 1 hurdle is that there really isn't an incentive for the distributor (Sony/Microsoft) to open up a 2nd hand market, since they already see the profits from the first hand market. But if Sony did open up something like that, it could create a competitive advantage for them. As a very crude example, I could either buy a $10 PSN game and have the option to re-sell it on the PSN 2nd hand market for $1.50, or buy a $10 XBLA game and have no re-sell option. That might shift some of the market share over to PSN's side.

I'm just speculating here, obviously there's a ton of obstacles in the way of this ever happening. I'll just say that I think there is a possibility it could work for all parties involved, and leave it at that.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#7420 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Mindbending: Gamestop exploring selling used downloadable games

I'd be curious to see what the landscape would look like if each piece of digital content had a lifetime - like 3 re-sells. Someone buys it initially for $60, they sell it for $40 to the next person (or Gamestop), they can sell it to the next person for $20 who's stuck with it but paid >= 1/3 of retail.

Everyone ultimately "pays" about the same amount. Except for the last person no one has anything to show for it. Sounds godawful, but the question isn't whether or not it's terrible, it's whether or not it would succeed.

Edit:

4. I never sell back games personally. I build my collection and keep it. Since I do a lot of research into games I buy it is very rarely that I feel like I paid more than I got out of it so I don't have that desire to get some money back out of it versus not having it available for some random replay.

This is one thing I think a lot folks miss completely - the price / hour ratio of video game entertainment absolutely crushes virtually every other medium. Folks will pay $10 to go see a new movie at the theater for 3 hours. Nothing wrong with that. But paying $60 for something you potentially get 30+ hours of entertainment out of should be (in comparison) amazing. It's just a lot of money to part with at once.

#7421 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

If we do get to all digital, does that mean gamestop would be out of business? haha

#7422 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

I might get day one digital releases. Most of the time I won't because I am a cheapass and 10% off (for being a + member) won't be enough. My reasons that I might are as follows:

1. I don't have to leave my house to get it if I didn't decide to pay for release day shipping or something. Going to the store costs gas and time and my time is the most valuable thing to me now.

2. I don't need more game laying around my house. This is why I am almost exclusively digital on PC. I get day one PC digital version all the time because they do have sales for them.

3. A digital version could work out for the better in the future. If I had bought more of my PSP games digitally I would be able to play them on my Vita. Not a for sure thing but if you aren't tied to a format it helps. Of course Sony could take it off the store so it is a risk both ways in that sense.

5. No risk of me misplacing a game or having it damaged. After moving around a couple of times I cannot tell you where some of my old PC games ended up. Damage doesn't usually happen but it does not and again. Such as the 360 tearing up a disc. It will probably be a bigger issue when I have a kid tearing around the house / playing my old games.

While this might be more valid for just why I like digital as an option, it still applies to why I might end up with a day one digital download. I can see the argument for a physical copy, especially if you love to resell games, but I am primarily a PC gamer and even before digital I wasn't able to resell my games most of the time for years now and you see consoles following the same route (CD Keys!)

TLDR: I like the advantages there are for digital and I am all for more options.

There are CAGs that are excited about this kind of stuff, as I've seen people PMing me and posting in the PS Store threads I run about whether games like Borderlands 2, FIFA 13, and others were going to be on the PS Store at launch or even have the option to pre-order.

I'd guess that not everybody plays games like you and throws them out to Amazon, GameStop, or whoever as a trade-in. There are a number of games that people will play for an extremely long time, so it's worth it to get the digital version to have instant access to it whenever they want to play it. Some of these games are going to be a bit cheaper for PS+, so they can save a little in the same process. I'm surprised that you guys cannot even fathom why this news would appeal to some people.

I'll be picking up LBP Vita today when the store updates because that's a game I'd like to have digitally without the need to swap cards just to play it, though it'd be a bigger help if Sony added folders ASAP so I'd be able to keep more games on my memory card without having to delete stuff first.

Valid points all around, but there is definitely a premium to be paid when buying digital content. It was probably my poor assumption as a CAG to assume so many people were not willing to pay these premiums.

Me personally, I would need close to a 50% Day 1 discount to buy major games (Borderlands 2, FIFA 13, RE6, etc.) digitally, and probably around a 25% day 1 discount to even consider smaller games (LBP Vita) digitally on day 1.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#7423 Saablic

Saablic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Valid points all around, but there is definitely a premium to be paid when buying digital content. It was probably my poor assumption as a CAG to assume so many people were not willing to pay these premiums.

Me personally, I would need close to a 50% Day 1 discount to buy major games (Borderlands 2, FIFA 13, RE6, etc.) digitally, and probably around a 25% day 1 discount to even consider smaller games (LBP Vita) digitally on day 1.

There is only a premium on PSN because they don't have digital competition. I get my digital content very cheap on PC though such as most recently, Borderlands 2 preorder for ~$40. Also my Steam collection would like a word with you.

My hope is that they start selling PSN download codes again in a lot of different retail stores. It would do a lot to help seeing nice sale prices on Sony's digital content. Unfortunately with the closed nature of consoles, digital is going to lag behind physical sales.

#7424 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

You're both right. I think the number 1 hurdle is that there really isn't an incentive for the distributor (Sony/Microsoft) to open up a 2nd hand market, since they already see the profits from the first hand market. But if Sony did open up something like that, it could create a competitive advantage for them. As a very crude example, I could either buy a $10 PSN game and have the option to re-sell it on the PSN 2nd hand market for $1.50, or buy a $10 XBLA game and have no re-sell option. That might shift some of the market share over to PSN's side.

I'm just speculating here, obviously there's a ton of obstacles in the way of this ever happening. I'll just say that I think there is a possibility it could work for all parties involved, and leave it at that.

Another problem is, with digital goods, there is literally no difference between a new copy and a used copy. I don't buy used games because I don't trust the hygiene of gamers and kids. This is crude but how do I know they didn't wipe their dick on the disc before trading it in? More likely though is people reading the manuals while taking a shit. When I buy new, I know none of that has happened.

With digital though, why would anyone buy new?

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7425 Saablic

Saablic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Another problem is, with digital goods, there is literally no difference between a new copy and a used copy. I don't buy used games because I don't trust the hygiene of gamers and kids. This is crude but how do I know they didn't wipe their dick on the disc before trading it in? More likely though is people reading the manuals while taking a shit. When I buy new, I know none of that has happened.

*looks over at his couple of used games in a new light.... shudders* Well at least games don't have a manual worth looking at anymore these days.

Also I have seen a few digital sites that buy back digital games but it doesn't make sense to resell it as it is the exact same product. They buy them back and you get a few bucks because you won't hit their servers for the game anymore. Agreed that there is no point in buying new if you could get used digital versions.

#7426 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

With your criteria, I sure hope you weren't buying any "New" games from GameStop.
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#7427 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

I have no idea what the volume of games on the used market would look like, because I don't know what percentage of gamers would be comfortable in reselling their games for a couple bucks. But the way I see it, either way could work:

1) If the volume of the games on the 2nd hand market is high, then you're right, people wouldn't buy new anymore. 1-2 months after the game is released, the 2nd hand market would be flooded and everyone would buy the "used" version for a slight discount (let's say 20% off). But since Sony is still controlling the 2nd hand market, they and the publishers are still getting a cut of the profits of the sale. It will be slightly lower than if someone bought the game new, but Sony should be able to make up that difference in market share increases.

For example, 2 months down the line I decide I've just got to have "Hell Yeah!". As an owner of both an Xbox and a PS3, I'm gonna buy it on PS3 for the $3 discount. Obviously this relies on Capitalism working, but I've found that capitalism usually does work.

2) If the volume of the games on the 2nd hand market is low, then there won't be a problem. I'm thinking that if someone wants to re-sell one of their digital games on the 2nd hand market, they only get somewhere around 15%-20% of the value of their game back. That's obviously not very much, but there's definitely a few games in my PSN download history that I wouldn't mind getting $1 back on because I know I'll never boot it up again (PixelJunk Eden, Cuboid, Brain Challenge, Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, and Polar Panic, just to name a few)

For example, take a game like Hamilton's Great Adventure. I haven't looked at leaderboards in a while, but there can't be more than 5,000 people that own that game. So it's valued at $10, and I'm only promised $1.50 back for it if I put it on the 2nd hand market and it sells. So I'm not going to even bother putting it on the market, because even after I've beaten it, it's worth more than $1.50 to me. So in this scenario, there really shouldn't be all that many copies of the "used" game available, and some people will still have to buy new if they want it.

Also, apologies to anyone who feel like I'm hijacking this thread.

#7428 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

http://blog.us.plays...e-on-psn-today/

Noticed this news about Tokyo Jungle DLC being free for PS+:

I’ve got great news for PlayStation Plus members: You’ll be able to get TOKYO JUNGLE at a 20% discount for two weeks (until October 9th)! In addition, we are giving away four DLC animals for free! These animals will only be free for one week (until October 2nd), so don’t miss out!

#7429 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

http://blog.us.plays...e-on-psn-today/

Noticed this news about Tokyo Jungle DLC being free for PS+:

Wow, that just double solidified my day one purchase. Sony is making MS look like a HUGE joke.

#7430 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

With your criteria, I sure hope you weren't buying any "New" games from GameStop.

That's exactly why I don't buy anything from Gamestop.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7431 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Wow, that just double solidified my day one purchase. Sony is making MS look like a HUGE joke.

Haha, i was gonna say something similar...I'm double sold now. Very excited for the release

#7432 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sony is making MS look like a HUGE joke.

:roll:

system sales so otherwise

and im a ps3 fangirl

#7433 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

If you had
Spoiler
in the One Piece Pirate Warriors price sweepstakes, you've "won."

#7434 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Update is up. Huge update, tons of avatars and 2 more free themes for PS+ for those that really like those.

Definitely appreciate all the Add-On content we're getting. While I'm not getting Starhawk Multiplayer or Tokyo Jungle right now, it's still nice to get that stuff free now so I'll have it when I do get it.

And while it doesn't affect me personally, I'm sure there will be a few people unhappy that the 10% off the Ratchet & Clank and Infamous Collections is nowhere to be found.

#7435 realit3y

realit3y

Doubl3 Kill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Fuck sony and Fuck the blogcast liars, where the Fuck is Spelunker HD dlc and the rest of it, seriously?
:error:
Spoiler

#7436 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Fuck sony and Fuck the blogcast liars, where the Fuck is Spelunker HD dlc and the rest of it, seriously?

Damn, I'm guessin you really like Spelunker.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7437 realit3y

realit3y

Doubl3 Kill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Damn, I'm guessin you really like Spelunker.

Yes I really like it the problem is they announced it on the blogcast and out of all the dlc annouced on the miscelleanous part I've heard the whole show and add to deal to listening playstation battle all stars part, about the concept of the game and etc.

Then they only spoke for a tiny bit my sub for ps+ ends this week which means I won't be able to get it next week with 50% discount the remaining dlc which means that Sony is playing with us, Sony isn't serious Sony is joking from us
:error:
Spoiler

#7438 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Update is up. Huge update, tons of avatars and 2 more free themes for PS+ for those that really like those.

Definitely appreciate all the Add-On content we're getting. While I'm not getting Starhawk Multiplayer or Tokyo Jungle right now, it's still nice to get that stuff free now so I'll have it when I do get it.

And while it doesn't affect me personally, I'm sure there will be a few people unhappy that the 10% off the Ratchet & Clank and Infamous Collections is nowhere to be found.

No MSH Origins PS+ discount or dynamic theme, makes me really sad that one of my favorite arcade games of all time did not get the same treatment as SFIII 3rd Strike :cry:
Posted Image

#7439 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

No MSH Origins PS+ discount or dynamic theme, makes me really sad that one of my favorite arcade games of all time did not get the same treatment as SFIII 3rd Strike :cry:

3rd Strike was part of the PSN Play promotion, which is the reasoning behind the discount and the dynamic theme.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7440 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

3rd strike is like the only fighting game that got that treatment.