Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 11/13: Game Show & Persona Sale! 11/19: PS+ on Vita Begins!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10415 replies to this topic

#7891 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

$6 off isn't bad.

I think you need a CAG intervention. ;-)
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#7892 JanusDS

JanusDS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Unless you have a major purchase to make, like $50 to renew PS+, I don't think it's all that great of a deal. Anyone with a backlog (like me) would be well served to just wait for the games to be half off (or maybe even free), since this is basically just a 20% off deal. Because of my backlog, I never let myself buy anything for just 20% off unless I know it will play it right away.

Yeah, I mean normally I would think exactly the same thing, that 20% off just isn't worth it especially since I generally don't buy much any game for more than 75% off original MSRP unless it's already cheap, 40-70% off and probably not going to get any better. But most of the games I'm looking at are ones that have been up on the PS Store for years and I've never seen a sale on them. And admittedly I may have just missed a sale on a few of them since I tended not to check the PSN deals every single week until about 1.5 - 2 years ago. But I definitely haven't seen them on sale since then.

And yeah, there's also the fact that while I might play a few of the games that I want fairly soon or immediately, I probably wouldn't play most of them for awhile due to my insane backlog. :-? But just from my observations, I don't tend to see many sales over 50% off or permanent price drops for digital only content on the PS Store except on already cheap games and/or games I couldn't give a crap less about. As far as digital downloads for games that are available on disc, screw that sh*. I'm already on the verge of needing a new HDD for my PS3 and I've never seen a disc game that's available for download where it's cheaper on the PS Store. There's always a sale or just regular price on disc games that's cheaper than a sale or regular price on the PS Store at any given time.

So like I said, normally I would absolutely agree with you; but for the games I'm looking at it's a little different. I definitely will be waiting throughout Oct to see if there are any weekly deals on the games I'm thinking about and otherwise not buy anything until the PS Store is updated on Oct 30. But I'm still not sure if I'll do it given my increasing monetary restrictions and also the "only 20% off" thinking that keeps grinding on my mind.

#7893 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, I mean normally I would think exactly the same thing, that 20% off just isn't worth it especially since I generally don't buy much any game for more than 75% off original MSRP unless it's already cheap, 40-70% off and probably not going to get any better. But most of the games I'm looking at are ones that have been up on the PS Store for years and I've never seen a sale on them. And admittedly I may have just missed a sale on a few of them since I tended not to check the PSN deals every single week until about 1.5 - 2 years ago. But I definitely haven't seen them on sale since then.

And yeah, there's also the fact that while I might play a few of the games that I want fairly soon or immediately, I probably wouldn't play most of them for awhile due to my insane backlog. :-? But just from my observations, I don't tend to see many sales over 50% off or permanent price drops for digital only content on the PS Store except on already cheap games and/or games I couldn't give a crap less about. As far as digital downloads for games that are available on disc, screw that sh*. I'm already on the verge of needing a new HDD for my PS3 and I've never seen a disc game that's available for download where it's cheaper on the PS Store. There's always a sale or just regular price on disc games that's cheaper than a sale or regular price on the PS Store at any given time.

So like I said, normally I would absolutely agree with you; but for the games I'm looking at it's a little different. I definitely will be waiting throughout Oct to see if there are any weekly deals on the games I'm thinking about and otherwise not buy anything until the PS Store is updated on Oct 30. But I'm still not sure if I'll do it given my increasing monetary restrictions and also the "only 20% off" thinking that keeps grinding on my mind.

What games are you looking at buying?

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#7894 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think you need a CAG intervention. ;-)

I didn't say good, either. :P I'm letting it replace my RE6 purchase because after the demo I decided to wait and let that drop to 20 before buying it.

BTW this is my first preorder, will it download automatically with plus the same as patches/updates do?

#7895 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

i think u have to download it

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           Fibbage  $0.58 (PS3) Deus Ex:Director's Cut $1.50

rpg49ers.png1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#7896 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

I didn't say good, either. :P I'm letting it replace my RE6 purchase because after the demo I decided to wait and let that drop to 20 before buying it.

BTW this is my first preorder, will it download automatically with plus the same as patches/updates do?

If it's like preordering PSN Play titles in 2011, it's somewhat complex. Simply put, the store will update normally, but you will see the game listed as "Free". Simply buy the "Free" game and you can download it normally. Since they're doing messages now, they might just message you the download code, but I've never seen something just appear in my download list.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#7897 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Has anyone here used the data transfer utility and ethernet cable with two ps3s? It has taken me 12 hrs so far and the status bar shows 83%. That's messed up. I'm only transferring about 110 gb to a new 160 gb ps3.

I have to leave for class soon. Can I just leave everything running until I get home later this afternoon?

Did you delete installs first? If not, that causes the process to take a lot longer than you'd expect.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#7898 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

If it's like preordering PSN Play titles in 2011, it's somewhat complex. Simply put, the store will update normally, but you will see the game listed as "Free". Simply buy the "Free" game and you can download it normally. Since they're doing messages now, they might just message you the download code, but I've never seen something just appear in my download list.

If that's the case then their big Day 1 PR is a poor stunt since the store doesn't normally update until well into the afternoon. And it will be a big download so I likely won't get to play until Wednesday, oh well.

Did anyone here preorder NBA 2K13, who can say how it went?

#7899 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

I might be one of the few people who still uses the Comic Book section of PSN. I'm also guessing everyone already knows that it will be shutdown before the end of October.

Might try to spend $20-$100 on comics since the comic book section of PSN is shutting down after October 30.

Media Go doesn't seem to be working right for me. Keeps asking me to download an update every time I try to download a purchase.

Edit: Any PSN comic book recommendations? Currently, trying to get all the free comics onto my download history. I won't have time to read/preview any of the freebies until it is too late.

I'm guessing there will be other venues of accessing the big named comic book companies like Archie, DC, Marvel, etc.

I'm trying to find/get all the comics that won't be easily available.

Edited by anotherpoorgamer, 04 October 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#7900 o0achilles0o

o0achilles0o

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I might be one of the few people who still uses the Comic Book section of PSN. I'm also guessing everyone already knows that it will be shutdown before the end of October.

Might try to spend $20-$100 on comics since the comic book section of PSN is shutting down after October 30.

Media Go doesn't seem to be working right for me. Keeps asking me to download an update every time I try to download a purchase.

Edit: Any PSN comic book recommendations? Currently, trying to get all the free comics onto my download history. I won't have time to read/preview any of the freebies until it is too late.

I'm guessing there will be other venues of accessing the big named comic book companies like Archie, DC, Marvel, etc.

I'm trying to find/get all the comics that won't be easily available.

You won't be able to re-download your comics after mid-January. They're completely removing them. Get all the free ones you want, but I certainly wouldn't spend any money on a dead format, especially with scanned comics so prolific on the 'net.

#7901 JanusDS

JanusDS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

What games are you looking at buying?

Here is the stuff I'm thinking about buying:

Mega Man 9 - $9.99
Mega Man 10 - $9.99
Hardcorps: Uprising + Add-On Characters - $22.48
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X HD - $19.99
God Hand - $9.99
Double Dragon Neon - $9.99
Okami HD - $19.99

Total - $102.42

There are other games I want as well; but these are the ones that I see myself playing the soonest out of all the ones I want. I know Mega Man 9 & 10 have been out awhile and I think I might remember there being a sale at some point on 9 at least; but I'm not 100% sure. Hardcorps has only been out about a year and a half now I think; but that's something I'm pretty sure I'd play immediately because I played it some over at my friend's house who owns it, I enjoyed it and he and another friend still play it online. Code Veronica X and God Hand have only been out for around a year I think so I'm a little hesitant on those. I'm even more hesitant with God Hand since they haven't done any price drops on PS2 Classics yet that I know of and since they have with plenty of PS1 Classics I could see that possibly happening at some point. Double Dragon Neon is pretty much brand spanking new but I downloaded it for free with my PS+ trial that ended last Friday, I really enjoyed it and it will be even more fun if/when they release that online co-op patch I heard about. And then with Okami HD, I've been itching to play Okami with its original controls (i.e. not horrible motion controls) for quite sometime so I think that I would play that pretty soon after purchasing.

But anyway like I said before, it's highly probable that I could have missed sales on these before I started checking weekly and still probable even since I started checking weekly, given that I seem have some sort of advanced, mutated super adhd that leads to me just skip right over items in a list way more than I should. 8-[ So if I'm listing stuff that's already been on sale and/or likely to be on sale in the future aside from DDN and Okami, please let me know. Thanks. :)

#7902 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Here is the stuff I'm thinking about buying:

Mega Man 9 - $9.99
Mega Man 10 - $9.99
Hardcorps: Uprising + Add-On Characters - $22.48
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X HD - $19.99
God Hand - $9.99
Double Dragon Neon - $9.99
Okami HD - $19.99

Total - $102.42

There are other games I want as well; but these are the ones that I see myself playing the soonest out of all the ones I want. I know Mega Man 9 & 10 have been out awhile and I think I might remember there being a sale at some point on 9 at least; but I'm not 100% sure. Hardcorps has only been out about a year and a half now I think; but that's something I'm pretty sure I'd play immediately because I played it some over at my friend's house who owns it, I enjoyed it and he and another friend still play it online. Code Veronica X and God Hand have only been out for around a year I think so I'm a little hesitant on those. I'm even more hesitant with God Hand since they haven't done any price drops on PS2 Classics yet that I know of and since they have with plenty of PS1 Classics I could see that possibly happening at some point. Double Dragon Neon is pretty much brand spanking new but I downloaded it for free with my PS+ trial that ended last Friday, I really enjoyed it and it will be even more fun if/when they release that online co-op patch I heard about. And then with Okami HD, I've been itching to play Okami with its original controls (i.e. not horrible motion controls) for quite sometime so I think that I would play that pretty soon after purchasing.

But anyway like I said before, it's highly probable that I could have missed sales on these before I started checking weekly and still probable even since I started checking weekly, given that I seem have some sort of advanced, mutated super adhd that leads to me just skip right over items in a list way more than I should. 8-[ So if I'm listing stuff that's already been on sale and/or likely to be on sale in the future aside from DDN and Okami, please let me know. Thanks. :)

I know for sure hard corps was free for psn+ and double dragon currently is. I'd rethink your list and just get psn+, that's just my opinion though

#7903 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Ya pretty much everything you listed has been on sale before, and probably will again (maybe not God Hand or the Hard Corps DLC, and those Mega Man games have been stubborn in dropping).

I didn't realize you weren't PS+. I'd 100% vouch for signing up for that, but if you're just not interested you might as well buy whatever you want. The biggest discount you'll probably ever see on most of those is 30%. They've really crippled the non-PS+ deals since PS+ came around.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#7904 o0achilles0o

o0achilles0o

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

If anyone's interested, I have a 16GB and an 8GB PS Vita memory card that I'm getting rid of. Details are here: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=329448

#7905 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I know for sure hard corps was free for psn+ and double dragon currently is. I'd rethink your list and just get psn+, that's just my opinion though

I was about to suggest the same... Playstation Plus FTW.
Posted Image

#7906 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

I was about to suggest the same... Playstation Plus FTW.

PS Plus games for 'Free' are actually more expensive... Here is how:

Example scenario 1: No PS Plus, Double Dragon is $10. Pay once and play it whenever you want.

Example scenario 2: Yes PS Plus, Double Dragon is $4 a month, forever. If you quit PS Plus, you lose the game.

Look, I used to have PS Plus ... And I love me some PS3, and unless they changed the 'quit and you lose it' thing, the only thing PS+ is good for is discounts on games and DLC -- not 'free' games.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#7907 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Example scenario 1: No PS Plus, Double Dragon is $10. Pay once and play it whenever you want.

Example scenario 2: Yes PS Plus, Double Dragon is $4 a month, forever. If you quit PS Plus, you lose the game.

Sure, if Double Dragon is the only game you want...

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#7908 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Look, I used to have PS Plus ... And I love me some PS3, and unless they changed the 'quit and you lose it' thing, the only thing PS+ is good for is discounts on games and DLC -- not 'free' games.

This is about as bad as it gets for PS+ Valuation
Posted Image

#7909 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Your logic is bad and you should feel bad.

#7910 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I only have a PS+ subscription for Digger HD. So far, it's been the most expensive game I've ever bought.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7911 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Sure, if Double Dragon is the only game you want...

This is about as bad as it gets for PS+ Valuation

I'm not flaming or trolling or whatever... I LOVE ps3, I promise. I wanted to love Ps+ when I had it. The discounts added up occasionally, -3 here, -2 there...

Couldn't you say you pay an eternal monthly fee on all your free games, not just Double Dragon? Convince me, seriously. And I'm too old for crabby responses.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#7912 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I like this math, since it took me a bit to realize it only equates if you count double dragon as the only value for a full year of plus. Since I am bored, I will point out your one flaw. If there is one game you want per 3 months, then you're almost breaking even. With 12 games up front, Vita support in the future, 1 - 3 games added a month, avatars and themes for free, discounts and sales, you're bound to break even at SOME point in the year.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#7913 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

I like this math, since it took me a bit to realize it only equates if you count double dragon as the only value for a full year of plus. Since I am bored, I will point out your one flaw. If there is one game you want per 3 months, then you're almost breaking even. With 12 games up front, Vita support in the future, 1 - 3 games added a month, avatars and themes for free, discounts and sales, you're bound to break even at SOME point in the year.

If there was a "I want to quit Ps plus but want to keep some of these freebie games" fee, I would pay it. Like, keep X of these free games for Y dollars.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#7914 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'm a day one + subscriber and I think I've actually come out ahead so far.

Example Scenario 2 - you'll have to "show your work" to get credit and a good grade, your inputs seem totally incorrect.
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#7915 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Your logic is bad and you should feel bad.

I'm a day one + subscriber and I think I've actually come out ahead so far.

Example Scenario 2 - you'll have to "show your work" to get credit and a good grade, your inputs seem totally incorrect.

Nobody has even addressed my ONLY issue, the 'free' games and the option to keep them. 3 dollar discounts I liked, free avatars are nice, early demos are fine.

GT, How many games would you lose if you we're to quit Ps+?

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#7916 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Nlks isn't a sequel I don't think...

#7917 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm not flaming or trolling or whatever... I LOVE ps3, I promise. I wanted to love Ps+ when I had it. The discounts added up occasionally, -3 here, -2 there...

Couldn't you say you pay an eternal monthly fee on all your free games, not just Double Dragon? Convince me, seriously. And I'm too old for crabby responses.

Yes, you pay an eternal monthly fee on all your free games. The point is, as the games add up, the eternal monthly fee becomes pennies per month per game. It's not $4 a month to keep a game. It's $4 a month to keep every game you've ever downloaded while you've been with Plus.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7918 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

face it blink u are wrong

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           Fibbage  $0.58 (PS3) Deus Ex:Director's Cut $1.50

rpg49ers.png1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#7919 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Where do you get $4 month from? Dividing the ps+ subscription cost by 1 game? That's bad logic man. Divide the cost by all the games you get in a year and you're looking at less than $1 for your one year rental. Try to rent a game anywhere else for $1/year.

Double dragon neon is not a game i need to own for life. Anyways, who's to say if you buy it outright (your just buying a license to the game btw) that you'll still be able to play it 10-20 years down the road.

I get your point and it's valid to a degree. Not starting a debate but concerned purchasers should see both sides of the debate

#7920 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Where do you get $4 month from? Dividing the ps+ subscription cost by 1 game? That's bad logic man. Divide the cost by all the games you get in a year and you're looking at less than $1 for your one year rental. Try to rent a game anywhere else for $1/year.

Double dragon neon is not a game i need to own for life. Anyways, who's to say if you buy it outright (your just buying a license to the game btw) that you'll still be able to play it 10-20 years down the road.

I get your point and it's valid to a degree. Not starting a debate but concerned purchasers should see both sides of the debate

The $4 per month is roughly what PS plus per year cost breaks into, monthly.

And I thank you for being the only person to give me a kind, real reply. I hear what you are saying about it 'adding up'. I dont need a game for life either, but I hardly played the free games when they came out. I kept paying, monthly, for such hits as Inferno Pool and Simpsons Arcade when I knew in my heart I'd never get to those.

I guess paying a monthly fee to keep games for free just isn't for me. ;)

I love you all. Remember that.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png