HBO Cancels Luck After 3 Horses Die During Production

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
HBO has ended production on Luck effective immediately following the death of three horses, the pay cable channel announced Wednesday.
"It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series Luck," the network said in a statement.

"We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horseracing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures. While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won't in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision."

Two horses died during the filming of Season 1, which took place last year. After a third horse died Tuesday during production on Season 2, the network announced that all use of horses on the show would be suspended indefinitely. In a statement on its site, PETA said it had "sent a complaint to Los Angeles law enforcement urging the agency to investigate the deaths of two horses during the filming of the first season."

"The two of us loved this series, loved the cast, crew and writers," Mann and Milch said in a statement. "This has been a tremendous collaboration and one that we plan to continue in the future."

Luck, starring Dustin Hoffman,launched in January to much acclaim. The show premiered to 1.1 million viewers, and quickly earned a Season 2 renewal, before dropping to 501,000 viewers a month later for the Feb. 26 episode, according to Vulture.
I haven't seen any of this show, but it was on the to-watch list.

Really good thread.I like this!
22.gif

2.tod.gif

[quote name='crunchb3rry']
Hope the horses don't die on Game Of Thrones.[/QUOTE]
Merely decapitated. No big deal.
[quote name='lokizz']or use 2 guys in a horse costume.[/QUOTE]
Or just have them pretend to ride on horses while some random guy following them hits two coconuts together.

[quote name='bardockkun']Merely decapitated. No big deal.

Or just have them pretend to ride on horses while some random guy following them hits two coconuts together.[/QUOTE]

lol that would be hilarious.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Feel bad for Mann. Milch can go fuck himself.

Hope the horses don't die on Game Of Thrones.[/QUOTE]

That show gets good ratings so they will let it slide if they do.

[quote name='whoknows']Is a few horses dying really a good reason to cancel a TV show?[/QUOTE]

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I was thinking the same thing. If the horses were being treated well and just happened to be injured/killed during the filming (you might call it bad luck :cool:) well that's no reason to cancel production. If the horses were being treated poorly and injured/killed as a result, then the crew needs to fix that and if they can't, well screw them their show can be canceled.

Personally I think HBO is using this as an excuse to cancel a show that had borderline ratings.

[quote name='Jodou']After watching the pilot, I haven't bothered with this show TBH. No great loss here.[/QUOTE]

I also fell off after the pilot, but I was planning on catching up eventually.

As for the extent of the loss, I don't know how many quality series you could discount out of hand if you based your impressions on the pilot, but it's probably a shitload. They got Nick Nolte and Dustin Hoffman with David Milch writing, and that's enough to get me to at least watch the first season in full.

When a horse dies, why doesn't it simply equate to free gourmet lunches for the cast & crew for a week?

[quote name='soulvengeance']Why can't they just have the horses not die? Seems to me someone is doing something wrong if there are 3 horses dying in production.[/QUOTE]

You'd be wrong.

Horses die everyday at race tracks. They are racing at high speeds and if they break their leg, which is a pretty common occurrence, you have to put the horse to sleep.

They were essentially filming multiple races for the race scenes, it actually not surprising at all that this happened.

Why not use CGI horses? Because that would cost too much for an already expensive show that's only netting about 430,000 viewers.

I disagree HBO used this as an excuse though. The show was getting solid reviews and the plot was moving forward pretty well. They also were already filming the second season at a rapid pace, they would definitely have stuck with the show has this not happened.

[quote name='DestroVega']You'd be wrong.

Horses die everyday at race tracks. They are racing at high speeds and if they break their leg, which is a pretty common occurrence, you have to put the horse to sleep.

They were essentially filming multiple races for the race scenes, it actually not surprising at all that this happened.

Why not use CGI horses? Because that would cost too much for an already expensive show that's only netting about 430,000 viewers.

I disagree HBO used this as an excuse though. The show was getting solid reviews and the plot was moving forward pretty well. They also were already filming the second season at a rapid pace, they would definitely have stuck with the show has this not happened.[/QUOTE]

Didn't realize they did over 2500 scenes, that's crazy.

[quote name='soulvengeance']Didn't realize they did over 2500 scenes, that's crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a pretty massive undertaking and had all the makings of a great show. I can't blame their decision though.

bread's done
Back