CAGcast #275: With Respect to the Vita

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 TheModelMartel

TheModelMartel

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

my first post on CAG and I'm here begging for Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations .. plz can I have.

#32 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I love how Cheapy spent a half hour jumping through hoops just to bypass the three minutes it would take to recreate his bald white guy in Mass Effect. Awesome!

I am one of those people that measure the time of a game with how many achievements I could earn during that. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something on the way to completing the game. But they shouldn't raise the price of XBLA games to $20 because they already release Games On Demand versions of HD last-gen games at 20 bucks and those have 1000 achievement points. 400 points is good for the ten dollar tier games.

Yes! Free Fighting from Capcon! Now I just need to get fifty dollars in free microsoft points so I can buy all the on-disc dlc they'll inevitably put out!

#33 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Cheapy, if you pull the Kinect out of the closet for Mass Effect 3 you have to buy Happy Action Theater for Tai. It's hands down the best video game for little kids ever.

#34 sneakydohboy

sneakydohboy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I could not disagree more with Shippy on this one. The wii was super successful with families and brought more video game systems into more homes than ever. With my experience two things happened here. 1 families played bowling for 2-4 weeks and then never played this again or it became a netflix box. 2 kids enjoyed the system up to the point that they wanted the better experience, so they bought xboxs and ps3's. I am not saying the system wont do ok, but I am not positive it will be successful.

Personally I want to see it go bankrupt for two reasons...hmm... 1 closer to a single console world, 2 Mario on my ps3 or xbox.

But I did enjoy the comment "They need to saturn out first"

Thanks for a fun show... And welcome back Wombat...

Ricky

#35 Tophat666

Tophat666

Big Bear with Top Hat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'd like to be the loser that wins that naruto game?

So do I.

That last Naruto game made by CyberConnect2 was a huge surprise for me back in 2010(Anime-based games usually suck).

Great show was always guys, glad you're in Tokyo Cheapy because by the time you put up the the podcast, I'm waking up to go to work(yes 4am in NYC & I've got to ride into queens). & thanks for the heads up on Moderstorm for the Vita being free, it's been fun to play on the way back from work.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 sneakydohboy

sneakydohboy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

BTW I am almost done with the episode, and then I heard about the 400 gamer point thing... Technically playstation did this first, they added Platinum trophies to the PSN games. That is basically the same thing. Man I have to say sometimes it does feel like you all hate the ps3... I thought it was just fan boy whining, but you are very dismissive at times.

#37 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I love how Cheapy spent a half hour jumping through hoops just to bypass the three minutes it would take to recreate his bald white guy in Mass Effect. Awesome!

I am one of those people that measure the time of a game with how many achievements I could earn during that. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something on the way to completing the game. But they shouldn't raise the price of XBLA games to $20 because they already release Games On Demand versions of HD last-gen games at 20 bucks and those have 1000 achievement points. 400 points is good for the ten dollar tier games.

Yes! Free Fighting from Capcon! Now I just need to get fifty dollars in free microsoft points so I can buy all the on-disc dlc they'll inevitably put out!

Uh if you're talking about Naruto Generations it's a Namco Bandai joint.

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#38 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'd like the Naruto game.

Just find it ironic that Shipwreck makes a comment about Naruto being for 12 year olds (who wouldn't have been alive when it started), while he collects and plays Skylanders. The target market for that is probably younger than Naruto.

Just because the target market is different doesn't mean people outside it can't enjoy it. Maybe the audience just kept getting older as the series ran on? If you were 12 when the series started, you would be 27 now.

Edited by SeanAmI, 16 March 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#39 kaaspeer

kaaspeer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the show guys. Wombat explaining footjobs made me grin like an idiot in the subway.

I've had the From Ashes DLC from day one, so I don't really know if Mass Effect 3 really has a space that the DLC neccesarily needs to fill. As an avid Mass Effect fan, I do think the DLC is a must. 800 microsoft points might sound a bit steep, but seeing how well the DLC is produced and how it ties in with the game you'll get your moneys worth when you purchase it. You'll get ALOT more content for your money when you compare it to Kasumi in ME2.

As for the shielded baddies:
Cheapy, when you're going to use kinect, I strongly advise you to use singularity for the shielded cerberus soldiers. Singularity can lift multiple enemies in the air. You'll only have say it once, shoot all the baddies and minimise the risk of waking Tai. There's no hotbar for voicecommands.. Shouting pull all the time doesn't sound all that effective..

I don't think that the Wii-U dreamcasting itself will be a problem for Nintendo. Aside from the 3DS, don't they sell their consoles with a profit? Unlike Microsoft and Sony who constantly had to compensate their losses for every console sold with gamesales Nintendo turns a profit with their hardware sales aswell. As long as they can fool the holiday shoppers that their kids are going to love it, I don't think it'll matter that much for them if the sales are disappointing.

#40 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Just find it ironic that Shipwreck makes a comment about Naruto being for 12 year olds (who wouldn't have been alive when its started), while he collects and plays Skylanders. The target market for that is probably younger than Naruto.
Just because the target market is different doesn't mean people outside it can't enjoy it. Maybe the audience just kept getting older as the series ran on? If you were 12 when the series started, you would be 27 now.

lol yeah that's pretty funny. calling people who play naruto was stupid when you collect toys for your "portal of power".

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#41 demonhellcat

demonhellcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

You should give me the Naruto game because I'm man enough to admit I like Naruto.

#42 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Just find it ironic that Shipwreck makes a comment about Naruto being for 12 year olds (who wouldn't have been alive when its started), while he collects and plays Skylanders. The target market for that is probably younger than Naruto.

The irony is not lost on me.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#43 bloodlinejake

bloodlinejake

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Begging is bad right? So I won't beg, I'll just ask politely. Wombat, please consider me as a "give away" for: "Naruto Ultimate Storm Generations". Thank you.

#44 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Wombat, when you mentioned that you were looking for a new $500-range laptop for your wife, I remembered the Microsoft Store is having a sale. The nice thing about PCs that you buy from there is that they remove all the crapware free-of-charge. I had a good experience buying from their online store.

#45 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

How weird, I just watched Drive the other night and have had "A Real Hero" stuck in my head ever since. At least now I know what the song is actually called.

I can't believe there's still this whole "video games as art" discussion. No other medium has to constantly try and validate itself as art. You never see a review for a movie that says, "this film validates film as art." If video game journalists would stop trying to randomly insert the phrase "validates video games as an art form" into their reviews, the discussion would finally die. It's like going around telling everyone how awesome you are; if you have to constantly tell everyone that you're art, then you're not.
Posted Image

#46 JAP28

JAP28

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

Great show guys....good to have Wombat back!!!!

According to Sony the Vita's "near" is working great! Like all Sony products it's cutting edge technology and sales are going smooth. All those people are "actually" close to you playing games watching Netflix ect... Most of them are very beautiful woman too with large space boobs! Keep up the great work!

#47 Manloi

Manloi

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

Nice Show. Hey Cheapy, nice ending song. But is it because your just watch the movie, "Drive"?

Anyway, I totally agree with your opinions on the Sony's vita and the Wii U. I understand that Ipad and gaming consoles are targeting at different kind of consumers. However, for those who just bought the new ipad and own gaming consoles, they might not want buy a Wii U when it release because they already bought Ipad. And Ipad have more functionality than Vita as a mobile device. I think it could be one of the reasons that Sony release the Vita a month early.

Since the news about no announcement of the Next xbox this E3 after you post the podcast, I believe it also related to 2 main reasons. One, too many devices release this year, Wii U, New Ipad and Vita. Second, since the "Unreal" guys, Epic are very out spoken about their expectation on next console and what it should be in there (which should be high end computer parts), Microsoft is reconsidering the hardware parts in their next gen console. Beside, it will be much much cooler by announcing the console on E3 and sell it very soon just the way like apple does.

By the way, Shipwreck, checkout the Halo 4 ViDoc. I think it looks like Halo and great.

#48 iqubal

iqubal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

Near is broken dudes. So it is not working well.

Right now it does a couple things.....you can share game goods and see people around you and what they have been playing. Pretty lame explanation I know , but can I have a game? Wombat great to have you back BTW. This podcast has great energy compared to other gaming podcasts that put me to sleep.

#49 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

Now, I normally don't care for Shipwreck :P but thanks for not trashing Yakuza: Dead Souls. I love this series, and yes, the game has some control issues, but other than that, it's a really fun game. I hope you enjoy it enough to finish the other Yakuza games, because they are really good.

Dead Souls is purely fan service; I don't think Sega though they'd make anything off of this game, and IGN and the other outlets haven't been too kind to it. Anyway, thanks for the good CAG Cast; glad you guys are warming up to the Vita. I play Hot Shots every single day, it's freaking addictive and really fun.

Also, glad to have Wombat back, he's my favorite :) ( seriously, no contest this week, so I'm not just trying to get free crap).
Posted Image Posted Image

#50 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

Also, have to say, Near isn't broken. When it says X number of people are playing, it doesn't mean that they're all playing the game on the little icon. The little icon is the game that has the highest "buzz" rating in your vicinity. Anyone who has their Vita on, or in sleep mode, with Near running will show up on the map around you.

#51 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Binary Domain doesn't prove anything about Japanese game development because we already had a 3rd person shooter from Japan that's better than Gears as a single-player game - Vanquish.

Did Cheapy only get the 16 GB version of the new iPad? Apparently the higher resolution screen means some apps and video content are going to take up more space, so the Tested guys were saying 32GB is the sweet spot. And of course, there's no way to upgrade memory on an iPad.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#52 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Just say it Wombat, your child got sick from Pooh!!! I'm surprised Cheapy didn't think of this during the conversation.

In the demo you could fight in reality fighters with a background but the game play is not worth it to me. The games I play the most on Vita are FIFA, MLB 12 and Hot shots Golf. I started Super stardust delta last night as well.

Near is using a few miles background to gather who is playing what. There could be Japanese downloading and trying netflix and just starting it once would count as playing. Question is how long does that last on near. I got my super stardust delta for free yesterday and gotta love that game on the Vita. The background on that game moves when you move around on the vita as well.

I went to buy my son a PS Vita this week. My local best buy was sold out of Vita and I traveled accross town and was able to get one there but they were low in stock. Games he wanted were also low in stock and had to order online to get a copy.

I think since Shipwreck likes to comment on crappy baseball games he should play MLB 2k12 on the 360. I think then he will love the Vita version of MLB 12 the show.

Are any of you frustrated with changing from disk 1 and 2 in Mass Effect 3? I've had to switch 4 times now. I wouldn't have bought the 360 version because of disk switching but I wanted to finish my story with my Shepard on the 360.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#53 testudo

testudo

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

boring show. you didn't take the advice given by a forum member. didn't answer my cagbag question. I am rage quitting this podcast (ending itunes subscription).

AKA Cheap Ass Gamera
"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Listen to the best podcast in the sustainable world: RSS

#54 deszaras

deszaras

Wait...what?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Good place to stay in Disney World Wombat. I haven't stayed in the villas but I've stayed in Wilderness Lodge twice and it is easily my favorite. I hope you got to ride the Snow White ride in Magic Kingdom since they are closing it down.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

This fall, I expect Wii U to come out in mid October, just in time for games like Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty 21 and other major third party games to be released day and date with their PS3/360 counterparts instead of waiting until mid November. As for software, expect a Wii U _____ pack-in like before, perhaps with a racing game on shelves, F-Zero maybe, and probably a game starring a franchise (besides Zelda) that is highly regarded so all the 3rd parties can bitch that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles AGAIN.

As long as retailers offer decent Wii U upgrade offers I will not think twice about picking up a Wii U. I only paid $100 out of pocket for my Vita because of GameStop and the extra % trade in and PSP trade in offer.

I don't think we will have a new Mario Kart either. I did hear about a new Pikman - but I also doubt that will be a launch title.

#56 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'd pick up a Wii U... if they can create a VERY GOOD Star Fox, and F-Zero games. (maybe). What happened to the Mario, Bango Kazooie...3D platforming, adventure games... where are they... If we had more of them would people really care about Mario...
Posted Image

#57 Ultramontane

Ultramontane

Kuato Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

Ship was willing to die fighting for his argument regarding Wii U expectations! I LOVE IT! MORE PASSION YOU THREE! Next time, I want to hear a cagcast host crying.

Don't make decisions when you're angry and don't make promises when you're happy.

#58 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Wii U will be not more than $250.

If the streaming to the controller functionality works near perfect and you can play your console games on the controller even if the tv is off then it will have some extra serious appeal to families.

Last year's demos didn't look exciting.

But they have had a year since then to work on software for it and probably didn't show every killer idea that they had.

I see no reason why it won't end up selling halfway between what the Wii and GC sold just based their 1st party strength, new controller and culture of being creative with their franchises and highly polishing their games. Oh and also it is the first time they have done HD which I have a feeling will bring some reluctant fans out of the closet.

Still I don't expect more than a 1st party games machine. Doubt 3rd parties make exclusive titles for it.

#59 dpac

dpac

FastFoodSnob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

The irony is not lost on me.

I was waiting until the game dropped down in price, but the included anime segments & in-game cut-scenes are what appealed to me for this title as well as the one before it.

Naruto the comic does appear in a weekly boys' manga collection in Japan, but the author does insert a lot of themes that would interest adults (as his perspective as a husband & father inform the storyline & characters quite a bit).

I'd like the game as well, considering how much I follow the manga & anime nowadays. The main character's still a kid, but there's something to appreciate for folks of all ages (though the violence might be a bit much for the younger set).

#60 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

1.) I would like to hear Cheapy's thoughts on the new iPad. Not everyone here hates the device or Apple.

2.) My personal experience with the Wii is more in line with Shipwrecks theories. I live in a very kid dense neighborhood (not toddlers). In fact my block has about 25 kids (10 families) with ages from 3-10 including my own. I believe every family has a Wii but only 2 have xbox 360. The kids get together to play Wii but never xbox. Sure this could change but the parents like Nintendo's image. Now I don't think this mean the Wii U will be a runaway but I could see more than a few families upgrading.

3.) Great idea for the iPad Mass Effect game to be on the Vita. I would love it.

4.) Hot Shots Golf is great on Vita.