CAGcast #275: With Respect to the Vita

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The gang is reunited for a respectful discussion on the future of the Vita, a spoiler-free Mass Effect 3 chat, and much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]184[/podcast]
Download - 88 minutes, 53MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Feel It (Maya/Tamperer) - A Real Hero (College w/Electric Youth)

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Wombat's back! Hooray!

Downloading now.

Here's your explanation:

It's bullshit. According to the official website:

Near is the social networking app on the PS Vita that allows you to check in to real life locations and pick-up and or leave gifts for other gamers to find and use in their games. You can also locate and connect with your PlayStation®Network friends and other gamers nearby. With near you can check out which games are the most popular and highest rated by fellow gamers near your location.

Through near your location can be calculated through Wi-Fi hot spots or in 3G models, with use of GPS technology which is an exclusive capability of the 3G model. Be the first to find these valuable game gifts by logging into near via 3G and not waiting to get to a WiFi hot spot.

"Near" is a very relative term. They never specify how "near" it has to be, so they can take liberties with the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Near uses GPS on the 3G model and Skyhook on both models. If you leave the Near app running in the background, it'll pick up data as you move about throughout the day.

Near uses lies and trickery to generate fake PSN ID's in order to make you think there are people aside from you who bought not only the Vita, but at least one game for it and that said people are playing near you.

That or near = whole world, which is near, in comparison to the moon or Mars.

Sorry, don’t know how Near works since I don’t have a Vita. Guess I’m disqualified from the Naruto contest by default…better luck next time huh? I could google it, but I find that cheating.

Anyway great show, glad Wombat is back

Shipwreck, as a pretty big Nintendo fan, I'm guaranteeing you there won't be a Mario Kart game for Wii U this fall. In fact, I'm guaranteeing there won't be a Mario game for it this fall at all, because they already announced a 2D Mario game is coming to the 3DS this fall. You also have to remember that Mario Kart 7 released for 3DS last year, and it felt pretty rushed and was really light on content, they even had to call in Retro to help them put it out quicker. It's a sign that Mario Kart HD is a ways off.

This fall, I expect Wii U to come out in mid October, just in time for games like Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty 21 and other major third party games to be released day and date with their PS3/360 counterparts instead of waiting until mid November. As for software, expect a Wii U _____ pack-in like before, perhaps with a racing game on shelves, F-Zero maybe, and probably a game starring a franchise (besides Zelda) that is highly regarded so all the 3rd parties can bitch that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles AGAIN.

From Ashes ME3 DLC created so many interesting moments throughout the game I can't believe it isn't part of the game. Jalik is the only new character I like a lot. By the way I beat the game on normal using my ME2 import with no problems. I could understand with people starting at level one, but it really wasn't that hard.

Was the part Cheapy rage quit on the area where
Jack and students are in the balcony shooting soliders?
That part sucked and took some tries. Now that I think about it, that was the hardest part of ME3 I had.

By the way, I was a soldier class too.

[quote name='thorbahn3']

Was the part Cheapy rage quit on the area where
Jack and students are in the balcony shooting soliders?
That part sucked and took some tries. Now that I think about it, that was the hardest part of ME3 I had.
[/QUOTE]
Bingo. I eventually beat it by
destroying the Atlas first and taking cover often in the room you start in

Wombat - I tried to hook you up when I saw you were at the Wilderness lodge. A family member of mine is one of the managers. The room either wasn't in your name or you were checked out by the time they tried to look you up.

[quote name='ufskenney']Wombat - I tried to hook you up when I saw you were at the Wilderness lodge. A family member of mine is one of the managers. The room either wasn't in your name or you were checked out by the time they tried to look you up.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks! The room was in my father in laws name, so I would have been hard to find. Next Time!

I agree with Ship here, remember this will have Nintendo games in HD! That was the one thing that stopped my brother some friends, and I from getting a Wii, not to mention if they get the tablet portion right that will be its hook. Wombat is correct that MS and Kinect have taken some of the demographic over, but considering how they are offering gift cards all over the place to get Kinect and not have any real games to play on, Nintendo will eventually get those folks back with DK, Mario, and Link in its corner.

Remember this thing will finally be able to play hardcore games in HD, for myself I can get this a PS4 and with my computer be able to have the greatest variety in games.

Also I again agree with Ship that "From Ashes" should have been included since it gives FANS of the series a great service.

Shipwreck's description of the Yakuza sex scene was hilarious. Also, the Naruto games are pretty good, but usually only directed at the fans of the series. A pretty good pick up and play fighter, and it's fun to play locally and online.

Thanks, Wombat! I can't wait to play Mortal Kombat, and I sincerely hope my comments help make the show better (if that's possible...what a kiss-ass). Nothing says constructive critiism like ripping someone's spine out.

Ship, gonna have to disagree with the WiiU sales. Don't think it's going to go as great as it seems. I think you let the Wii sales cloud your judgement on their success. The Wii itself sold just less than their past three consoles combined (going from Wikipedia numbers at least).

Just remember, simply having Mario isn't a measure of success. The Gamecube still had a Mario game, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Pokemon, Luigi, Metroid, Zelda, etc, and still couldn't break 25 million in worldwide sales (again, WIKI numbers).

The Wii left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Nintendo's marketing and PR is what will sell this console, but they will have to work their ass off to get people interested in the system again.

EDIT:

Also, as I'm still listening to the podcast, the shield cerberus agents in ME3. I use the particle beam rifle to kill them. They have a little slot in the shield, and I take them out shooting between the little slot near where the head would be. Not sure how regular weapons with ammo would be, but you could shoot them that way. I know there's a trophy for it, so I think there should be an achievement for it as well for killing enough of those guys in that way. It's not too hard to do.

Hey dudes, I wish you would post the list of games that you discuss in the episode show notes. I was interested in the JRPG that Ship was talking about. Now I have to do all kinds of EXTRA WORK to figure it out.

Wombat is hilarious and there should be a higher WBQ (Wombat Quotient) in the next episode. Also: more poop stories.

I think the sweet spot for the Vita would be PSN/XboxLiveArcade type titles, not slightly better iphone games.

I agree that ME3 with Kinect is fun. My Kinect is calibrated and it works fine without shouting while my wife is in the room having a conversation on the phone. Works great and I like it.

I believe Shipwreck is dead wrong about the wii U being on the television circuit. The only reason the Wii got any press is because it was something completely different, and as wombat mentioned, visually engaging as you got to watch the hosts doing slightly absurd things to play the game. Now not only is the inclusion of a tablet less visually engaging, but the newness and the novelty of it will have worn off quite a bit. I will be quite surprised if the Wii U gets even a fraction of the mainstream press that the Wii did.

In regards to kinect calling out ammo selection in ME3, I just find it quite amusing because it reminds me of one of features of Judge Dredd's handgun.

[quote name='youruglyclone']I'd like to be the loser that wins that naruto game?[/QUOTE]

I agree that Youruglyclone should win Naruto just so it means NO ONE ELSE HAS TO..! Way to fall on the grenade Youruglyclone! Paragon +6 :applause:

When it comes to the Wii U's doom predictions, I think it will do fine or better. If the Kinect can sell 8 million units in it's first 60 days the Wii U will do great. Just because hardcore gamers don't care about a product doesn't mean the rest of world doesn't care. That's what the Wii and Kinect have shown me and I doubt that will change.

I love how Cheapy spent a half hour jumping through hoops just to bypass the three minutes it would take to recreate his bald white guy in Mass Effect. Awesome!

I am one of those people that measure the time of a game with how many achievements I could earn during that. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something on the way to completing the game. But they shouldn't raise the price of XBLA games to $20 because they already release Games On Demand versions of HD last-gen games at 20 bucks and those have 1000 achievement points. 400 points is good for the ten dollar tier games.

Yes! Free Fighting from Capcon! Now I just need to get fifty dollars in free microsoft points so I can buy all the on-disc dlc they'll inevitably put out!

Cheapy, if you pull the Kinect out of the closet for Mass Effect 3 you have to buy Happy Action Theater for Tai. It's hands down the best video game for little kids ever.

I could not disagree more with Shippy on this one. The wii was super successful with families and brought more video game systems into more homes than ever. With my experience two things happened here. 1 families played bowling for 2-4 weeks and then never played this again or it became a netflix box. 2 kids enjoyed the system up to the point that they wanted the better experience, so they bought xboxs and ps3's. I am not saying the system wont do ok, but I am not positive it will be successful.

Personally I want to see it go bankrupt for two reasons...hmm... 1 closer to a single console world, 2 Mario on my ps3 or xbox.

But I did enjoy the comment "They need to saturn out first"

Thanks for a fun show... And welcome back Wombat...

Ricky

[quote name='youruglyclone']I'd like to be the loser that wins that naruto game?[/QUOTE]

So do I.

That last Naruto game made by CyberConnect2 was a huge surprise for me back in 2010(Anime-based games usually suck).

Great show was always guys, glad you're in Tokyo Cheapy because by the time you put up the the podcast, I'm waking up to go to work(yes 4am in NYC & I've got to ride into queens). & thanks for the heads up on Moderstorm for the Vita being free, it's been fun to play on the way back from work.

BTW I am almost done with the episode, and then I heard about the 400 gamer point thing... Technically playstation did this first, they added Platinum trophies to the PSN games. That is basically the same thing. Man I have to say sometimes it does feel like you all hate the ps3... I thought it was just fan boy whining, but you are very dismissive at times.

[quote name='meager']I love how Cheapy spent a half hour jumping through hoops just to bypass the three minutes it would take to recreate his bald white guy in Mass Effect. Awesome!

I am one of those people that measure the time of a game with how many achievements I could earn during that. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something on the way to completing the game. But they shouldn't raise the price of XBLA games to $20 because they already release Games On Demand versions of HD last-gen games at 20 bucks and those have 1000 achievement points. 400 points is good for the ten dollar tier games.

Yes! Free Fighting from Capcon! Now I just need to get fifty dollars in free microsoft points so I can buy all the on-disc dlc they'll inevitably put out![/QUOTE]
Uh if you're talking about Naruto Generations it's a Namco Bandai joint.

I'd like the Naruto game.

Just find it ironic that Shipwreck makes a comment about Naruto being for 12 year olds (who wouldn't have been alive when it started), while he collects and plays Skylanders. The target market for that is probably younger than Naruto.

Just because the target market is different doesn't mean people outside it can't enjoy it. Maybe the audience just kept getting older as the series ran on? If you were 12 when the series started, you would be 27 now.

Thanks for the show guys. Wombat explaining footjobs made me grin like an idiot in the subway.

I've had the From Ashes DLC from day one, so I don't really know if Mass Effect 3 really has a space that the DLC neccesarily needs to fill. As an avid Mass Effect fan, I do think the DLC is a must. 800 microsoft points might sound a bit steep, but seeing how well the DLC is produced and how it ties in with the game you'll get your moneys worth when you purchase it. You'll get ALOT more content for your money when you compare it to Kasumi in ME2.

As for the shielded baddies:
Cheapy, when you're going to use kinect, I strongly advise you to use singularity for the shielded cerberus soldiers. Singularity can lift multiple enemies in the air. You'll only have say it once, shoot all the baddies and minimise the risk of waking Tai. There's no hotbar for voicecommands.. Shouting pull all the time doesn't sound all that effective..

I don't think that the Wii-U dreamcasting itself will be a problem for Nintendo. Aside from the 3DS, don't they sell their consoles with a profit? Unlike Microsoft and Sony who constantly had to compensate their losses for every console sold with gamesales Nintendo turns a profit with their hardware sales aswell. As long as they can fool the holiday shoppers that their kids are going to love it, I don't think it'll matter that much for them if the sales are disappointing.

[quote name='SeanAmI']I'd like the Naruto game.
Just find it ironic that Shipwreck makes a comment about Naruto being for 12 year olds (who wouldn't have been alive when its started), while he collects and plays Skylanders. The target market for that is probably younger than Naruto.
Just because the target market is different doesn't mean people outside it can't enjoy it. Maybe the audience just kept getting older as the series ran on? If you were 12 when the series started, you would be 27 now.[/QUOTE]

lol yeah that's pretty funny. calling people who play naruto was stupid when you collect toys for your "portal of power".

[quote name='SeanAmI']I'd like the Naruto game.
Just find it ironic that Shipwreck makes a comment about Naruto being for 12 year olds (who wouldn't have been alive when its started), while he collects and plays Skylanders. The target market for that is probably younger than Naruto.
Just because the target market is different doesn't mean people outside it can't enjoy it. Maybe the audience just kept getting older as the series ran on? If you were 12 when the series started, you would be 27 now.[/QUOTE]

The irony is not lost on me.

Begging is bad right? So I won't beg, I'll just ask politely. Wombat, please consider me as a "give away" for: "Naruto Ultimate Storm Generations". Thank you.

Wombat, when you mentioned that you were looking for a new $500-range laptop for your wife, I remembered the Microsoft Store is having a sale. The nice thing about PCs that you buy from there is that they remove all the crapware free-of-charge. I had a good experience buying from their online store.

How weird, I just watched Drive the other night and have had "A Real Hero" stuck in my head ever since. At least now I know what the song is actually called.

I can't believe there's still this whole "video games as art" discussion. No other medium has to constantly try and validate itself as art. You never see a review for a movie that says, "this film validates film as art." If video game journalists would stop trying to randomly insert the phrase "validates video games as an art form" into their reviews, the discussion would finally die. It's like going around telling everyone how awesome you are; if you have to constantly tell everyone that you're art, then you're not.

Great show guys....good to have Wombat back!!!!

According to Sony the Vita's "near" is working great! Like all Sony products it's cutting edge technology and sales are going smooth. All those people are "actually" close to you playing games watching Netflix ect... Most of them are very beautiful woman too with large space boobs! Keep up the great work!

Nice Show. Hey Cheapy, nice ending song. But is it because your just watch the movie, "Drive"?

Anyway, I totally agree with your opinions on the Sony's vita and the Wii U. I understand that Ipad and gaming consoles are targeting at different kind of consumers. However, for those who just bought the new ipad and own gaming consoles, they might not want buy a Wii U when it release because they already bought Ipad. And Ipad have more functionality than Vita as a mobile device. I think it could be one of the reasons that Sony release the Vita a month early.

Since the news about no announcement of the Next xbox this E3 after you post the podcast, I believe it also related to 2 main reasons. One, too many devices release this year, Wii U, New Ipad and Vita. Second, since the "Unreal" guys, Epic are very out spoken about their expectation on next console and what it should be in there (which should be high end computer parts), Microsoft is reconsidering the hardware parts in their next gen console. Beside, it will be much much cooler by announcing the console on E3 and sell it very soon just the way like apple does.

By the way, Shipwreck, checkout the Halo 4 ViDoc. I think it looks like Halo and great.

Near is broken dudes. So it is not working well.

Right now it does a couple things.....you can share game goods and see people around you and what they have been playing. Pretty lame explanation I know , but can I have a game? Wombat great to have you back BTW. This podcast has great energy compared to other gaming podcasts that put me to sleep.

Now, I normally don't care for Shipwreck :p but thanks for not trashing Yakuza: Dead Souls. I love this series, and yes, the game has some control issues, but other than that, it's a really fun game. I hope you enjoy it enough to finish the other Yakuza games, because they are really good.

Dead Souls is purely fan service; I don't think Sega though they'd make anything off of this game, and IGN and the other outlets haven't been too kind to it. Anyway, thanks for the good CAG Cast; glad you guys are warming up to the Vita. I play Hot Shots every single day, it's freaking addictive and really fun.

Also, glad to have Wombat back, he's my favorite :) ( seriously, no contest this week, so I'm not just trying to get free crap).

bread's done
Back