Wasteland 2 "pre-order" - $15 on Kickstarter

rsrlawman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Wasteland is the 1988 predecessor of the Fallout Series, and Brian Fargo who originally created both Wasteland and Fallout has announced Wasteland 2 via Kickstarter. In just 2 days, they've already surpassed the $900,000 goal to produce the game, so it will definitely get made. Obviously, there is no release date at this time and don't expect to get it any time soon.

For $15, you get a digital copy of the game. I expect it will be at least double that on Steam when it comes out, if not your typical $59.99. I think using Kickstarter to fund the production of a game and thereby bypassing the influence exerted by the mega-studios is the coolest concept. Now Wasteland 2 will be developed completely for the fans rather than being watered down for a mainstream CoD/Halo audience. Love it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Gtfo indie bundles, kick-starters are now fad!

Will check this out when not on phone.

Edit: Woo, so in for one once I get the money :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So.....it will be a different telling of the story?

May hap Wasteland on GOG?

Sort of like Fullmetal Alchemist v FMA Brotherhood?

After having seen some youtube videos of the original being played, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to fund this just yet. Anyone have any recent experience on playing Wasteland?

Edit: After watching the promotional video on Kickstarter, I pledged $15 for a copy of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder: This is coming from the same development team behind Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Yeah, Brian Fargo may be involved but it's not like him or his studio have been putting out good games this entire time.

Sorry but this is just not a trend I can get behind. I find it funny that the same community that has a fit over day 1 dlc does not crucify a system where you pay before the product is even produced.

I was almost ready to do it but no Steam key made me opt for no. I realize there are people who are zealously anti-DRM, but personally I prefer the convenience of Steam and nearly all my games are already on there updated and organized.

[quote name='Motoki']I was almost ready to do it but no Steam key made me opt for no. I realize there are people who are zealously anti-DRM, but personally I prefer the convenience of Steam and nearly all my games are already on there updated and organized.[/QUOTE]

But there is a Steam key. You get DRM-free and Steam versions. They even mention the closed beta will be on Steam. Check the FAQ at the end of the page.

This sounds cool. I never played the first game but I really love Fallout 1 and 2 and Wasteland seems like a big influence on those two.

[quote name='Treymoney']But there is a Steam key. You get DRM-free and Steam versions. They even mention the closed beta will be on Steam. Check the FAQ at the end of the page.[/QUOTE]

You know, that's a deal breaker for me and probably for other people so they should have made that more clear.

Also I am unclear on the early beta access. The page desc says

We’re planning on an initial 6 months of pre-production. We’ll nail down every important element that you, our creative partners, want. Once we have all that figured out, we buckle down for 12 month development cycle. During that time, players can get a sneak peek on a private closed beta through Steam.

This would seem to imply the beta access is for everyone but then the pledge descriptions don't mention beta access until you get to the $75 level.

October 2013 is a long time to wait and that's if there are no delays which most games end up having. Double Fine is giving early beta access even at the entry level and they made that clear in their description.

Definitely contributed $15. I loved playing the original Wasteland all those years back. Really excited they are planning/creating a sequel.

So this is on this forum, why? Because some cheap ass gamers now pay for games that haven't even been created? It's one thing to preorder a game and entirely another to pay before anything has been done. There should be a dumbass gamer companion site or rich ass gamer for spending money this way.

[quote name='ijustw1n']So this is on this forum, why? Because some cheap ass gamers now pay for games that haven't even been created? It's one thing to preorder a game and entirely another to pay before anything has been done. There should be a dumbass gamer companion site or rich ass gamer for spending money this way.[/QUOTE]

Can't be a cheap ass gamer if said games don't get made.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sorry but this is just not a trend I can get behind. I find it funny that the same community that has a fit over day 1 dlc does not crucify a system where you pay before the product is even produced.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, this is a game that would never even have a chance at being made if not for doing it this way. Either way though, this isn't the appropriate place to be posting about it.

I would donate money to this and the Double Fine one, but I don't play PC games. Now if they were going to release something over XBLA that would be different!

[quote name='xspeedracerx']The thing is, this is a game that would never even have a chance at being made if not for doing it this way. Either way though, this isn't the appropriate place to be posting about it.[/QUOTE]

I considered posting it elsewhere, but I figured it would get the most visibility here and it IS a deal. You may be "pre-ordering" it way in advance, but you are definitely getting it for a big discount if you order it now.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']The thing is, this is a game that would never even have a chance at being made if not for doing it this way. Either way though, this isn't the appropriate place to be posting about it.[/QUOTE]

I am all for these type of games getting made but asking the community to pay for it up front is a dangerous proposition. I would not want to be the first game to get made that does not live up to expectations...or worse never gets finished. Gamers are a fickle bitch to begin with. I love Double Fine but not every game they have produced. It is just a really fine line we are walking here when all you are doing is giving money without anything known in return AND no % of return if this is successful. You are taking all the risk and getting no reward except maybe a game you like.

[quote name='rsrlawman']I considered posting it elsewhere, but I figured it would get the most visibility here and it IS a deal. You may be "pre-ordering" it way in advance, but you are definitely getting it for a big discount if you order it now.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with it, and you're right it IS a deal. People just love to shit on threads like this for some reason. I don't see how it's any worse than posting about Kindle Fire pre-orders or game pre-orders that are full price.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am all for these type of games getting made but asking the community to pay for it up front is a dangerous proposition. I would not want to be the first game to get made that does not live up to expectations...or worse never gets finished. Gamers are a fickle bitch to begin with. I love Double Fine but not every game they have produced. It is just a really fine line we are walking here when all you are doing is giving money without anything known in return AND no % of return if this is successful. You are taking all the risk and getting no reward except maybe a game you like.[/QUOTE]

At $15 I'll gladly take the risk. In Double Fine's case we're getting a professionally made documentary even if the game somehow sucks or doesn't get finished. That alone makes it worth it to me. It's not like people are being forced to throw in money.

[quote name='xspeedracerx'] It's not like people are being forced to throw in money.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a defense of Day One on disk DLC to me :lol: I kid I kid.

Honestly I am not against this...I am just sold on it yet. Once the first games come out we will see. It could be worse...there is a UK lotto winner that wants 1.1 million to make an MMO on Kickstarter.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...kes-to-kickstarter-to-fund-pie-in-the-sky-mmo

But even HE has already got $10,000 :applause:

Looks like one person donated the $10,000...so I am not sure about that :)

[quote name='cancerman1120']That sounds like a defense of Day One on disk DLC to me :lol: I kid I kid.

Honestly I am not against this...I am just sold on it yet. Once the first games come out we will see. It could be worse...there is a UK lotto winner that wants 1.1 million to make an MMO on Kickstarter.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...kes-to-kickstarter-to-fund-pie-in-the-sky-mmo

But even HE has already got $10,000 :applause:[/QUOTE]

At least you're open minded enough to not dismiss it completely. Who knows how this will turn out, but I'm hoping for the best. :)

Haha, good luck to that guy! Fortunately Kickstarter doesn't work unless you meet your goal, so he likely won't be seeing a penny from this.

[quote name='rsrlawman']I considered posting it elsewhere, but I figured it would get the most visibility here and it IS a deal. You may be "pre-ordering" it way in advance, but you are definitely getting it for a big discount if you order it now.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I put in $15. I'm half hoping for a good game and half wanting to show publishers that diversity in video games is still important.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am all for these type of games getting made but asking the community to pay for it up front is a dangerous proposition. I would not want to be the first game to get made that does not live up to expectations...or worse never gets finished. Gamers are a fickle bitch to begin with. I love Double Fine but not every game they have produced. It is just a really fine line we are walking here when all you are doing is giving money without anything known in return AND no % of return if this is successful. You are taking all the risk and getting no reward except maybe a game you like.[/QUOTE]

I look at it this way: we are giving these guys money to make a game the way they want to make a game. The problem with the way many games are made nowadays is that big publishers dictate a lot of ways games are made and marketed.

I can understand those who don't want to contribute. That being said, people here probably paid more than $15 for games that they were ultimately disappointed in, so investing in this (if you are interested in a Wasteland sequel) is probably a small price to pay.

Course, if you want to wait and see if it is any good, you don't have to give money now that it has made its goal. It is going to get made whether you contribute or not.

I did contribute to DoubleFine's kickstarter, mainly because I liked most of what they've made and Schaffer's track record is pretty good when it comes to adventure games. This is a little more of a question mark, since I never played Wastland (I was an Atari guy at the time) and the track record of the current company is mixed. I might still do it.

Really like that guy, and I really like some of the games he has made, Baldurs Gate, fallout, etc. I just cant justify supporting, when I don't have a PC, and don't like turn-based games. I wish him the best though.

Yea I would say there is def a difference between this and a pre-order. This is helping fund games that otherwise would NOT be made. You just happen to get the game when it's completed as a bonus.

It's great way to bring some creativity and innovation in a market that for the most part, is dominated by big publishers who churn out a slightly upgraded version of the same game every year and will not take any risks on other projects.

[quote name='ijustw1n']So this is on this forum, why? Because some cheap ass gamers now pay for games that haven't even been created? It's one thing to preorder a game and entirely another to pay before anything has been done. There should be a dumbass gamer companion site or rich ass gamer for spending money this way.[/QUOTE]
STFU douchebag. What about all of those gamers who pre-ordered Duke Nukem 10+ years ago? Or how about countless Final Fantasy games that almost always get delayed? If you don't want to contribute, get the fuck out, no one is forcing you to read this thread.

That said, I love Kickstarter. I find that the projects that reach completion thanks to the funding through KS tend to actually turn out well. Since it's usually funded by fans, it means the product is geared towards pleasing them, which is an excellent way of catering to a niche audience.

I'm assuming this is PC only? Is there going to be a Mac version? Just wondering before I purchase. Suppose I could run it in boot camp.

What kind of game are they aiming for with Wasteland 2? A small indie game? Lavish, not-quite retail release? I'm okay with funding Double Fine since they seem to have a more modest proposition so at least that has a better chance of being made within the near future. How big would Wasteland 2 be?

[quote name='Komentra']I'm assuming this is PC only? Is there going to be a Mac version? Just wondering before I purchase. Suppose I could run it in boot camp.[/QUOTE] PC, but if they get over $1.5 million, you can expect a Mac version. They're just over a million at the moment.

[quote name='Komentra']I'm assuming this is PC only? Is there going to be a Mac version? Just wondering before I purchase. Suppose I could run it in boot camp.[/QUOTE]

He has said that if it hits $1.5m, there will be Mac and Linux versions of the game. Given where it is right now, there is a good chance that it will happen.

[quote name='Mr.']What kind of game are they aiming for with Wasteland 2? A small indie game? Lavish, not-quite retail release? I'm okay with funding Double Fine since they seem to have a more modest proposition so at least that has a better chance of being made within the near future. How big would Wasteland 2 be?
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I kind of feel like they are being much more vague about this game than DoubleFine and possibly don't even have a completely clear idea of what it will be themselves.

Double Fine was very clear in their proposal in my opinion and I felt like I knew what I was going to be getting but not so much here other than 'Hey my old game was really cool. I'm making a sequel'. I'm exagerrating of course but you get the idea.

As an aside, I'm not sure how I feel about this trend. I can certainly see why they want to do it and this guy and Double Fine I think have enough of a reputation that the will almost certainly deliver something, but sooner or later people are going to get burned on these.

I also think that the big greedy megacompanies like EA are rubbing their hands together at getting money up front with no product for some time and will attempt to get in on the action by setting up a shill puppet developer. If we see a future Kickstarter promising Origin codes I'd be very suspicious.

[quote name='Motoki']I agree with this. I kind of feel like they are being much more vague about this game than DoubleFine and possibly don't even have a completely clear idea of what it will be themselves.

Double Fine was very clear in their proposal in my opinion and I felt like I knew what I was going to be getting but not so much here other than 'Hey my old game was really cool. I'm making a sequel'. I'm exagerrating of course but you get the idea.

As an aside, I'm not sure how I feel about this trend. I can certainly see why they want to do it and this guy and Double Fine I think have enough of a reputation that the will almost certainly deliver something, but sooner or later people are going to get burned on these.

I also think that the big greedy megacompanies like EA are rubbing their hands together at getting money up front with no product for some time and will attempt to get in on the action by setting up a shill puppet developer. If we see a future Kickstarter promising Origin codes I'd be very suspicious.[/QUOTE]

If you watch the video on Kickstarter at the end of the video he pretty much says EXACTLY what this game is and his vision of how he wants it to play. He goes into much much more detail about what the game is and how it'll play as opposed to the Double Fine dudes who were much more vague about pretty much everything except that it will be an old school adventure game.

I'm a fan of these Kickstarter campaigns for established and well-known game developers that have proven themselves in past projects. I'd have a hard time giving cash to some unknown guy out to make an Elder Scrolls clone.

However - getting to fund guys like Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo - established industry vets that may not put out the casual style games that seem to sell so well to the mindless masses, it's just exciting. I'll happily flip $15 on a promise from them that they'll do their best to make a great game. Am I expecting miracles - no - but $15 is worth it to me to give these guys a chance to go out and do something on their own, unburdened by outside pressure.

Maybe I'm just hoping to claw back some nostalgia from the days of my Tandy 286 that ran Deskmate (Windows 3.1 - so over-rated - I mean who really needs a mouse?). Either way - $15 is worth it.

I didn't play the first Wasteland but am familiar with that and did play a little Fallout back in the day.

I'm really intrigued by this project and look forward to supporting it, though I haven't decided what amount since I've been spending money on various indie bundles and the Double Fine project as well.

That cloth map sounds sexy, though.

My two cents on Kickstarter - it's becoming a popular trend and will probably be overused by some point, but I think the core idea is great. Take the responsibility of providing content and give it to the developers, rather than to publishers who drive up prices and needlessly complicate things.

[quote name='stupidproz1']If you watch the video on Kickstarter at the end of the video he pretty much says EXACTLY what this game is and his vision of how he wants it to play. He goes into much much more detail about what the game is and how it'll play as opposed to the Double Fine dudes who were much more vague about pretty much everything except that it will be an old school adventure game.[/QUOTE]

Sure, it's a tactical RPG with party members, but what is the scope of the game? Turn-based Fallout 3? Post-apocalyptic Costume Quest? I think expectations for a full-fledged RPG is quite different from a classic point and click adventure.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sorry but this is just not a trend I can get behind. I find it funny that the same community that has a fit over day 1 dlc does not crucify a system where you pay before the product is even produced.[/QUOTE]

Their is no comparasion between day 1 dlc and kickstarter projects.

But,
I think it would be interesting when a kickstarter project goes that extra step and shares any and all profits with their backers (based upon how much you backed it)

Also, I would instantly back a wing commander game on kickstarter.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Their is no comparasion between day 1 dlc and kickstarter projects.

But,
I think it would be interesting when a kickstarter project goes that extra step and shares any and all profits with their backers (based upon how much you backed it)

Also, I would instantly back a wing commander game on kickstarter.[/QUOTE]

There are legal reasons a Kickstarter project can't pay profits back to backers. That would likely be a Federal and state securities law violation. Frankly, the whole Kickstarter model is a little bit shaky for ventures of this type. While it hasn't raised IRS scrutiny just yet, it is essentially investing in a company to produce a product which may or may not materialize. That's not very different than buying shares of stock in a start-up in exchange for the product itself instead of a profit share, dividends, the ability to trade the stock, etc...I know there was a huge issue when some marketing firms tried to start a similar fund raiser to buy Pabst Blue Ribbon and the IRS ordered them to stop. Even though they made it clear they were just providing a mock "stock" certificate acknowledging the donation (i.e. it couldn't be traded or exchanged for cash or other value) and cases of beer, the IRS still found it to be a violation.

I started Wasteland last night for the first time after hearing about this. The game is absolutely brutal. I played for almost two hours and still don't know how to heal, or really what to do at all. Even still, it seems pretty interesting so I'll stick with it. I'm not yet committed to $15, but I can see the first game was well made and had a lot of good ideas, so I still look forward to seeing how the sequel turns out.

[quote name='Motoki']
Also I am unclear on the early beta access.

The page desc would seem to imply the beta access is for everyone but then the pledge descriptions don't mention beta access until you get to the $75 level.

October 2013 is a long time to wait and that's if there are no delays which most games end up having. Double Fine is giving early beta access even at the entry level and they made that clear in their description.[/QUOTE]

Replying to myself because the dev wrote me back when I questioned on this and clarified the beta access is definitely only at $75 and up.

I also told him that I thought he should put the info about the Steam keys being made available in a more prominent space as I and others would consider it a selling point and right now it's hidden way down below in the FAQ. He replied that he has about as many people interested in Steam as those interested in DRM free so it's about 50/50 and he's looking at updating the page to make the Steam key info more prominent.

I still think I will pass at this point. If Double Fine can do beta access at $15 I don't see why he can't, particularly since this game is set to not be released for at least a year and a half.

[quote name='CatEyes']I started Wasteland last night for the first time after hearing about this. The game is absolutely brutal. I played for almost two hours and still don't know how to heal, or really what to do at all. Even still, it seems pretty interesting so I'll stick with it. I'm not yet committed to $15, but I can see the first game was well made and had a lot of good ideas, so I still look forward to seeing how the sequel turns out.[/QUOTE]

The original game came with an instruction manual that you pretty much had to read to learn how to play the game. (It came out when games typically did not have in-game tutorials.) I strongly suggest finding the manual online.

[quote name='CatEyes']I started Wasteland last night for the first time after hearing about this. The game is absolutely brutal. I played for almost two hours and still don't know how to heal, or really what to do at all. Even still, it seems pretty interesting so I'll stick with it. I'm not yet committed to $15, but I can see the first game was well made and had a lot of good ideas, so I still look forward to seeing how the sequel turns out.[/QUOTE]

I've tried wasteland a few times. Never can get too far into it. Maybe I'll give it another run

It would be cool if someone would remake the original as well.

[quote name='Panther Cat']The original game came with an instruction manual that you pretty much had to read to learn how to play the game. (It came out when games typically did not have in-game tutorials.) I strongly suggest finding the manual online.[/QUOTE]

The text for the game was in the manual. The game would say to look at text entry ### when the player needed a description of something.

bread's done
Back