Amazon PCDD $15 Walking Dead, $10 TERA ($15 CE) + BOGO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10290 replies to this topic

#3001 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

What's the general assumption about Civ IV vs Civ V? Which is "better"? Also will we possibly see a sale on Civ V?

I can't speak from experience, but generally, it seems that Civ IV has deeper mechanics, while Civ V has prettier graphics and better accessibility. So in that sense, big Civ fans might say IV is better, while casual strategy fans might say V is better.

Personally, I'm going for both. I'll start with V and graduate to IV.

If you've never played a Civ game or anything like it, you're probably better off starting with Civ5.

If you're a veteren of 4x style games, then Civ4 definitely provides a more complex, deeper, and more advanced style of gameplay. Not to mention there are a ton of very well made mods that make radical changes to gameplay/setting/mechanics/etc. Check out Fall from Heaven, Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, and Realism Invicticus to start. Between the base game and those 3 mods, you'll be busy for months and years to come.

#3002 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Wait, Madness Returns is $5.99? I thought the two-pack of Madness Returns and Mirror's Edge was going to be $7.49/99? (Or did I make that up in my head?)

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#3003 Chariblaze

Chariblaze

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Wait, Madness Returns is $5.99? I thought the two-pack of Madness Returns and Mirror's Edge was going to be $7.49/99? (Or did I make that up in my head?)

Here:

Hey guys,

This was a mistake on my part. I did some math incorrectly in my sales tracker. The Alice/Mirror's Edge pack is going to be $9.99 not $7.49.

My bad guys, too many wheels turning at once :( should have double checked before leaking.

Cheers,
Tony

Yep, both Mirror's Edge and Alice will be on sale.

Mirror's Edge will be $5 and Alice will be $7.49 these are both the prices that we had before, Mirror's Edge hasn't been $3 from us before.

BTW that's where the confusion game in, when I copy and pasted from my spreadsheet to the system that runs our promotions I copied the Alice price for the bundle price by accident. Then when I went to update you I checked the promotion tool and saw $7.49, posted here, and a co-worker of mine was like, "Hey dude, we're selling the pack for $9.99 not $7.49".

Again, sorry for the confusion, I'm ready for the internet flogging.

Cheers,
Tony

Gents, good news for those awaiting Alice and Mirror's Edge.

My contact from EA dropped by these forums to check out what people were saying about the games I was talking about from their group and saw my mistake with Alice and Mirror's Edge. In response, he suggested we run Alice individually at 80% off instead of 75% off.

This means if you buy the game individually you'll be able to get it for $5.99 instead of $7.49.

I figured if there was 1 place to get excited about an extra $1.50 price change for a sale this was it :).

Cheers,
Tony

Edited by Chariblaze, 19 May 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#3004 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Damn x.x

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#3005 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

If anyone has problems with Bioshock loading on Windows 7 64-bit, try creating a shortcut from the actual file in the
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\bioshock\Builds\Release\Bioshock.exe" & put it in compatibility mode for XP sp2.
Worked last night (I have my PC hooked up to my TV), but now it's not playing again :(. It works in 1920x1080 on -dx9, but I didn't spend all this money on a pc to "not" play in the best possible settings.

Also, Metro 2033 has sadly unstable framrate. Goes from 80-90 in most places, to ~30 in parts of the snow & ice parts :(. I think I'll stick to newer games & play the ones I already own on console, on console.

Edited by twztid13, 25 May 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#3006 kennyb324

kennyb324

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

If anyone has problems with Bioshock loading on Windows 7 64-bit, try creating a shortcut from the actual file in the
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\bioshock\Builds\Release\Bioshock.exe" & put it in compatibility mode for XP sp2.
Worked last night (I have my PC hooked up to my PC), but now it's not playing again :(. It works in 1920x1080 on -dx9, but I didn't spend all this money on a pc to "not" play in the best possible settings.

Also, Metro 2033 has sadly unstable framrate. Goes from 80-90 in most places, to ~30 in parts of the snow & ice parts :(. I think I'll stick to newer games & play the ones I already own on console, on console.

i had to fiddle around a bit to get bioshock running (had to put it in windows xp compatibility mode) though i still get the random game freeze (which always happens right before i decide to save)

and Metro 2033 is very graphically intensive game, so don't expect to put everything at the very maximum settings. you have to fiddle around a bit to find the right settings so it doesn't go below 60 (or whatever number you want)

#3007 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Metro 2033 is a beast unto itself. Even the 680 feels pain running that game.

Posted Image

#3008 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

Madness Returns looks to be a monster to play too. Not even going to attempt that until I get a new laptop.

bZ2g3eF.png

#3009 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Madness Returns looks to be a monster to play too. Not even going to attempt that until I get a new laptop.

It really isn't, it played great on my old computer which uses a Core 2 Duo E8400 and Geforce 8800gtx. Not comparable to Metro 2033, which is pretty unoptimized and ran like unplayable crap on that same computer lol.

#3010 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Tony, Steam has all the Assassin's Creed Revelations DLC at 50% today. Any chance of a match? (Willing to buy Lost Archive at $5, but my base game is non-Steam.)

You can wait for a real reply from Tony, but in the past he mentioned that certain types of games won't get PMs and I believe most of Ubi's stable falls into that category.

I am going to hold out until tomorrow morning, just in case Tony says differently, but Im not holding my breath.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#3011 Shrowd

Shrowd

Gaming Dad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

Tony quick question for you

Any chance of price matching Steam for Assassin's Creed Revelations and the DLC? Would rather support Amazon if the price was similar.

Thanks

#3012 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

It really isn't, it played great on my old computer which uses a Core 2 Duo E8400 and Geforce 8800gtx. Not comparable to Metro 2033, which is pretty unoptimized and ran like unplayable crap on that same computer lol.

What kind of RAM did you have?

(And I've got some terrible Dell integrated chipset graphics card that pretty much hates my guts, so I doubt that would fly.)

bZ2g3eF.png

#3013 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

What kind of RAM did you have?

I was running it with 4GB PNY DDR2 ram, I think. I don't remember the exact specs of my old ram, would have to check. It ran pretty smoothly, but you'll probably have to set PhysX to low, the PhysX effects can be kinda slow/choppy. Resolution was set to 1920x1200, everything maxed out aside from PhysX.

#3014 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

Alice: Madness returns is an outright terrible game. The only good things about the game are the art design and that's it. It steals game mechanics for Super Mario 64 for Christ's sake! It's not worth playing honestly. Skim through youtube to see the art and wikipedia the story. It's gameplay is boring.

Uhm, it's a platformer.. what do you expect? MANY platformers have similar game mechanics to Super Mario 64. I don't understand any of these complaints. I can get if someone doesn't like the game for what it is, but not because it's a platformer.. Not sure why anyone would play it if they don't like the genre.

With a game like Alice Madness Returns, it's more about experiencing the atmosphere, not just looking at the art from pics or a youtube video. The first game was mostly about atmosphere as well, although the gameplay and story in both games aren't bad at all.

#3015 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, I think I've only got 2GB RAM. That along with my terrible graphics card will probably kill it for me. I'm looking at these two laptops to buy right now.

http://www.walmart.c...remium/19536281

This is the more expensive one. Has more RAM, so it's tempting. I don't know about that graphics card though? The processor seems to be great, but I'm not an expert on this stuff. Or...

http://www.walmart.c...remium/19536288

The cheaper one. Not as good of a processor and less RAM, but a bigger hard drive and everything else is the same (I think). Slightly smaller screen too. Same graphics card...

Any thoughts? How would these laptops fare playing the newest of games?

bZ2g3eF.png

#3016 Chariblaze

Chariblaze

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

Yeah, I think I've only got 2GB RAM. That along with my terrible graphics card will probably kill it for me. I'm looking at these two laptops to buy right now.

This is the more expensive one. Has more RAM, so it's tempting. I don't know about that graphics card though? The processor seems to be great, but I'm not an expert on this stuff. Or...

The cheaper one. Not as good of a processor and less RAM, but a bigger hard drive and everything else is the same (I think). Slightly smaller screen too. Same graphics card...

Verify with someone else, but out of those two, you'd probably do fine with the cheaper one, though I'm not sure how far you can go with integrated graphics. Since the integrated graphics are the same, it really comes down to the processor. A 0.3 GHz difference in speed isn't going to affect much, and because it's for gaming, the two threads versus four shouldn't either, though that's the part where I'm worried I may be wrong.

#3017 thegreatest

thegreatest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

Well first of all, you can't shop for a gaming laptop at Walmart. They don't have any that will run anything, and their pages are wrong. Neither of those processors have a dedicated Intel HD 3000, and if they did, it still wouldn't perform very well at all. I would recommend shopping at Newegg.

Here is a good example of a decent gaming laptop around those prices. It will run just about anything. Games like Skyrim included.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834214603

In that price range (~$500) you aren't going to find anything with an Intel processor with a dedicated graphics card.

EDIT: The more expensive one actually does have the HD 3000 dedicated graphics, but like I said it doesn't perform all that well. You will be better off finding something with a dedicated card like I linked to.

#3018 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

Yeah, avoid Walmart like the plague when it comes to computers. Newegg, and actually even Amazon are probably better bets.

#3019 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

Yeah I'm not savvy about this stuff, but I'd buy a Sony before I bought a Toshiba. Besides the graphics card, that Toshiba doesn't seem very impressive for that price. :-( Especially with that processor, it's way weaker.

Is it possible to get a similar Sony with a graphics card that will work better for games?

bZ2g3eF.png

#3020 Heavenlywind

Heavenlywind

☆さくらちゃん☆

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:41 AM

You'd be ok with low settings if you don't care for graphics. I've seen my friend play Skyrim, Crysis 2 and Minecraft with intergrated graphics (HD3000) and 6gb of ram with the i5-2450m. I think skyrim was played at 800x600 all low settings and it was playable. Sometimes it would slow down. Crysis 2 looked less then 30fps and that was at 1280x720 all low. If you find around 20 fps playable its ok. It dropped during a boss fight. Minecraft ran was playable from what I saw. As for the one with the B960 I can't say, I think it could play some games. But mostly likely fps drop.. I'm not an expert though..

As as everyone else has mentioned you could probably find a better deal elsewhere.
Posted Image

#3021 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

Well, the Vaio seems to be the same price everywhere (Newegg included). The only problem is the graphics card (I really want something that will play games well at the highest settings at the right FPS).

When I look around Newegg, I find stuff like this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834127544

That's the tiny Vaio with a much weaker processor, but it has a different graphics card. But the card is "shared memory", and if memory serves, that's garbage. Am I right? There's also:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834127645

But I mean... $700 and I'm still only getting 4GB RAM there? Besides that one seeming to have a better graphics card, the Walmart deal looks a lot better. What's up with that?

bZ2g3eF.png

#3022 thegreatest

thegreatest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

Yeah I'm not savvy about this stuff, but I'd buy a Sony before I bought a Toshiba. Besides the graphics card, that Toshiba doesn't seem very impressive for that price. :-(

Is it possible to get a similar Sony with a graphics card that will work better for games?

You have to pay extra for a dedicated card. Really Sony and Toshiba are both horrible brands for laptops. You want to look at ASUS, MSI, Lenovo, and iBUYPOWER. The problem is, to get a decent gaming laptop with a dedicated card (which you need to perform well) in a good brand, you will have to pay $700-800 if not more.

What it comes down to is that you absolutely need a dedicated card for gaming. Integrated graphics aren't meant for it. Playing a game on low settings with a 800x600 resolution is NOT playable. You wouldn't even be able to read the words on a screen like that with that kind of resolution.

If you absolutely want Sony, here are some decent gaming laptops.

http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

EDIT: I just saw your post. The ones you linked to are NOT gaming laptops. To get something with a decent frame rate you will have to look at the ones I linked to here.

#3023 Splines

Splines

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

Yeah I'm not savvy about this stuff, but I'd buy a Sony before I bought a Toshiba. Besides the graphics card, that Toshiba doesn't seem very impressive for that price. :-( Especially with that processor, it's way weaker.

I bought one of these a few months ago and am extremely happy. I've played ME2, DX:HR, Majicka and a bunch of other games with no problems.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834158198

Yes, it's a refurb, but I couldn't tell the difference. This is pretty much the best gaming value you could find.

There's another version of this model (dv6-6135, I think) that has Blu-Ray and a better chassis. Both of them go out of stock extremely quickly.

#3024 bizarrorollins

bizarrorollins

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

Well, the Vaio seems to be the same price everywhere (Newegg included). The only problem is the graphics card (I really want something that will play games well at the highest settings at the right FPS).

Honestly, this is a tall order for any laptop without breaking the $800+ region.. And even then, your games will likely not be running at the highest possible settings most of the time.

Your safest bet. Stick to this advice (although personally I would go with the 2nd of the two options. I wouldn't even bother with a 520M at that price):

You have to pay extra for a dedicated card. Really Sony and Toshiba are both horrible brands for laptops. You want to look at ASUS, MSI, Lenovo, and iBUYPOWER. The problem is, to get a decent gaming laptop with a dedicated card (which you need to perform well) in a good brand, you will have to pay $700-800 if not more.

What it comes down to is that you absolutely need a dedicated card for gaming. Integrated graphics aren't meant for it. Playing a game on low settings with a 800x600 resolution is NOT playable. You wouldn't even be able to read the words on a screen like that with that kind of resolution.

If you absolutely want Sony, here are some decent gaming laptops.

EDIT: I just saw your post. The ones you linked to are NOT gaming laptops. To get something with a decent frame rate you will have to look at the ones I linked to here.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3025 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

Alice: Madness returns is an outright terrible game. The only good things about the game are the art design and that's it. It steals game mechanics for Super Mario 64 for Christ's sake! It's not worth playing honestly. Skim through youtube to see the art and wikipedia the story. It's gameplay is boring.

I believe you have what is called an "outlier" opinion. And if I'm making a list of positives and negatives for a game, "mechanics like Super Mario 64" would fall into the positive category.

I'm in no way discounting your opinion, but it seems a bit outside the norm and certainly at odds with my own.

#3026 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

That one you linked doesn't even say what graphics card it has?

I don't really understand something "not being a gaming laptop". The specs put against "gaming laptops" are nearly identical, with the "gaming laptop" often having less RAM and a weaker processor. What's up with that?

I do understand that the ones linked have better graphics cards, but is that worth an extra $200-300 when you're actually getting WEAKER other components? I don't understand that.

Would it be possible to buy something like this:

But then swap the graphics card out for one that will work fine with games? Because that's a really good price in comparison to the other systems on Newegg that are being linked, except for the fact that it has a cruddy graphics card. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy the best and cheapest and swap the graphics card?

I've heard really good things about Vaios and their reliability, not to mention a friend of mine just bought one and is really happy with it. That's why I'm kind of steering in that direction. Still, I'm not set on one, but when I see links to these other laptops they really just don't seem worth the price.

bZ2g3eF.png

#3027 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

And when it comes to this laptop (which is the only other one I've seen that seems more reasonable), even though it has a better card, it's got a weaker processor and less RAM.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834127541

That just doesn't seem right.

bZ2g3eF.png

#3028 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

That one you linked doesn't even say what graphics card it has?

I don't really understand something "not being a gaming laptop". The specs put against "gaming laptops" are nearly identical, with the "gaming laptop" often having less RAM and a weaker processor. What's up with that?

I do understand that the ones linked have better graphics cards, but is that worth an extra $200-300 when you're actually getting WEAKER other components? I don't understand that.

Would it be possible to buy something like this:

But then swap the graphics card out for one that will work fine with games? Because that's a really good price in comparison to the other systems on Newegg that are being linked, except for the fact that it has a cruddy graphics card. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy the best and cheapest and swap the graphics card?

I've heard really good things about Vaios and their reliability, not to mention a friend of mine just bought one and is really happy with it. That's why I'm kind of steering in that direction. Still, I'm not set on one, but when I see links to these other laptops they really just don't seem worth the price.

I don't know much about laptops, but I don't think you can simply swap out a video card in most of them. The GPU is pretty important.. I would prioritize that over the amount of ram.

#3029 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Huh... That sucks. That's just so odd why the "better" models have weaker specs and WAY higher prices... but have a different video card. If only I could just get the one I want... but have a different video card put in it. >_>

bZ2g3eF.png

#3030 exaznkid

exaznkid

Spare Some Change

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

thinking about biting on Last Remnant, has there been a better price?