THQ - Most assets sold - another auction in May - Crytek to buy Darksiders IP

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#241 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

I seriously can't believe that no one picked up Vigil and the Darksiders license. I thought that would have been the best thing that THQ had to offer.

#242 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

I seriously can't believe that no one picked up Vigil and the Darksiders license. I thought that would have been the best thing that THQ had to offer.

I dunno about being the best thing to offer, in light of Saint's Row, but still the fact that there were no bids at all for Vigil is quite surprising. I'm disappointed that this effectively means the end of a studio that was seemingly on the verge of hitting it big. Given a little more time, I really think things could have been different for Vigil.

#243 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

I dunno about being the best thing to offer, in light of Saint's Row, but still the fact that there were no bids at all for Vigil is quite surprising. I'm disappointed that this effectively means the end of a studio that was seemingly on the verge of hitting it big. Given a little more time, I really think things could have been different for Vigil.

Any word on the amount of debt Vigil may have? Maybe a bid of even $1 meant taking on more debt than some publishers wanted along with funding the full cost of a new game.

#244 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Someone could still get the Darksiders license, but Vigil is done. My guess is the other studios are already working on something, while Vigil just released a game and won't have anything done for a while.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#245 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'm honestly not sure if I like where Sanits Row and Metro ended up...

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#246 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

It's a shame, but I think two things killed a proper bid for Vigil:
1) Joe Madureira left as creative director back in October. While Vigil's team is talented, he was the backbone of Darksiders.
2) Apparently nothing in production, or at the least, in a reasonable state of production.

However, PlatinumGames (of Bayonetta fame) is showing interest in the Darksiders IP.

#247 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

I'm honestly not sure if I like where Sanits Row and Metro ended up...

why not? Deep Silver probably allow them to do whatever they want while someone like EA might be more concern with the company's image.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#248 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

It's a shame, but I think two things killed a proper bid for Vigil:
1) Joe Madureira left as creative director back in October. While Vigil's team is talented, he was the backbone of Darksiders.
2) Apparently nothing in production, or at the least, in a reasonable state of production.

However, PlatinumGames (of Bayonetta fame) is showing interest in the Darksiders IP.

I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.

http://www.polygon.c...ormer-employees

Vigil was in the process of making a game codenamed Crawler.

#249 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Foot to mouth! Well, that does strike me as odd that they didn't get any bids.

#250 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Foot to mouth! Well, that does strike me as odd that they didn't get any bids.

It's not entirely surprising. Even if Project Crawler was as impressive as he said, it doesn't change the fact that it was still very early in development. That puts it in the same place as Darksiders III, where whoever buys the studio would have to fully fund development.

The other studios and IPs had upcoming entries that were further along, whether they were almost done (South Park, Metro, Company of Heroes 2), had some necessary groundwork already done (Saints Row came with a bunch of in-progress music licensing deals, according to the court documents), and/or were being developed by outside companies (Homefront, Evolve, Metro, South Park).

Ideally, a company will buy the Darksiders IP, rehire key staff members, and develop Darksiders III using an internal studio. Worst case scenario, a company buys it and a bunch of IPs on the cheap to sit on, much like what happened to many of Acclaim's IPs.

#251 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

It's not entirely surprising. Even if Project Crawler was as impressive as he said, it doesn't change the fact that it was still very early in development. That puts it in the same place as Darksiders III, where whoever buys the studio would have to fully fund development.

The other studios and IPs had upcoming entries that were further along, whether they were almost done (South Park, Metro, Company of Heroes 2), had some necessary groundwork already done (Saints Row came with a bunch of in-progress music licensing deals, according to the court documents), and/or were being developed by outside companies (Homefront, Evolve, Metro, South Park).

Ideally, a company will buy the Darksiders IP, rehire key staff members, and develop Darksiders III using an internal studio. Worst case scenario, a company buys it and a bunch of IPs on the cheap to sit on, much like what happened to many of Acclaim's IPs.

i think the latter is more likely

#252 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Plus Joe Madureira, co founder and creative director already left. So what are you really paying for?

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#253 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

They where also making the 40K MMO that was suppose to be rolled up into some sort of single player game. (With MP elements.)

#254 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

I really am surprised that Sony didn't put up a bid for Darksiders. I think they could easily mash that up with God of War and meld the two series into something wonderful like the Legacy of Kaine/Soul Reaver series.

#255 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

why not? Deep Silver probably allow them to do whatever they want while someone like EA might be more concern with the company's image.

I've never heard Koch Media (unless it's the same as Koch Industries) and have no idea how they woud want Deep Silver to treat the IP. Guess you're right though, Deep Silver seems to have autonomy on what they do.

Oh well, at least SR and Metro will live on.

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#256 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

The electronics of your heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Next Saints Row, Metro Games Will Be “Faithful To Their Franchises”, Say New Owners

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#257 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Looms like everything else is going to be sold off at a seperate auction in a couple weeks. Nothing will be left. This will be your chance to pick up obscure an obscure IP no one wants for $1.

http://www.gameinfor...final-days.aspx

What happens to THQ's back catalog – especially for franchises that THQ once owned, but weren't sold off? What happens to properties like Darksiders and Red Faction?
There will be a separate process to sell off the back catalog and IP. That process will take place in the coming weeks.

Also of interest (this basically says there will be no company left to exit bankruptcy):
"And of course, unfortunately THQ’s non-development personnel are out of work as of the end of this week; this was a casualty of the court’s decision to allow piecemeal sale of assets."

I've never heard Koch Media (unless it's the same as Koch Industries) and have no idea how they woud want Deep Silver to treat the IP. Guess you're right though, Deep Silver seems to have autonomy on what they do.

Oh well, at least SR and Metro will live on.

Dead island

Any word on the amount of debt Vigil may have? Maybe a bid of even $1 meant taking on more debt than some publishers wanted along with funding the full cost of a new game.

That's not the way this works. Buyers aren't taking on the liabilities of the studios. They own them free and clear. No one wanted Vigil because it's last game was a flop, it's working on a new IP, and since it just released a game the new IP is far from being released and the buyer will have to fund the studio millions of dollars for years to bring that new game to release.

Amazed how little other companies put down for Saints Row and Volition. SR3 sold 2.3M copies. Supposedly the publisher makes $27 dollars off each new $60 game. Therefore THQ made around (2.3M x $27) = 62.1M. Obviously this could be completely off, but it should give a good estimation. I just think that a franchise/studio able to rack up that much money for a publisher should be worth a lot more.

Posted Image
Source: From Online gaming service.

No, SR3 sold over 5 million copies. Volition was purchased extremely cheaply.

Homefront 2 was virtually a steal. Crytek has been making that game and THQ funded them 14 million for it so far. THQ still owed them 1 million so that's a write-off no matter what. Then they went in and bid 500k for Homefront 2 and won since there were no other bids. So they've got this game that may not sell well but they've already been paid 14 million for it and are only 1.5 million in the hole, they're experts of it's design, and they've been coding it all along. They'll make a huge profit on that even if only a couple hundred thousand sell.

And don't they reimburse stores for the sale price? Or is that price store initiated?

Normally there's a deal where both the store and the publisher/dev take a hit on the sale so neither has to shoulder the whole thing. For drops in MSRP, the publisher has to pay the stores back. In this case, the stores are SOL for money owed on price drops as the bondholders are first to be repaid and they will either not be fully repaid or will barely get fully repaid. If there's anything left after that the retailers have to fight with EVERYONE over what's left. I'm pretty sure LA County property tax is due for instance.

Edited by Blaster man, 24 January 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#258 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

maybe those who wanted to see vigil pickup, should go bid on it, LOL there is still time

#259 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Anyone else in the Austin area want to put a bid on Vigil? We could buy our own game studio. I call dibs on Dictator-For-Life.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#260 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

maybe those who wanted to see vigil pickup, should go bid on it, LOL there is still time

Again, as I said, the issue is funding. Sure you can bid on it and if you win it for a buck or 100 dollars or whatever, you're going to have to find a way to keep the lights on and the staff paid while the next game is developed. Meaning, you're going to have to get a tens of million dollar loan from someone unless you're already very wealthy and can fund it out of pocket.

Lets put it this way, The big companies looked at it and didn't want it. You probably don't want it either. IMO the staff at vigil should buy themselves. That would be for the best.

Anyone else in the Austin area want to put a bid on Vigil? We could buy our own game studio. I call dibs on Dictator-For-Life.

One thing that people could have done, bought Vigil for $1 then laid everyone off, shut the doors, and sold everything.

#261 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I could own the whole building. But I'm not letting Milhouse be the overnight security guard.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#262 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I could own the whole building. But I'm not letting Milhouse be the overnight security guard.

Be careful buying something that will involve lots of costs. I'd say if you want a piece of history then wait for the next auction, read the rules for it, then see if you can buy some really old IP no one wants. Who knows maybe you can lisence it to someone for a couple bucks!

#263 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Again, as I said, the issue is funding. Sure you can bid on it and if you win it for a buck or 100 dollars or whatever, you're going to have to find a way to keep the lights on and the staff paid while the next game is developed. Meaning, you're going to have to get a tens of million dollar loan from someone unless you're already very wealthy and can fund it out of pocket.

Lets put it this way, The big companies looked at it and didn't want it. You probably don't want it either. IMO the staff at vigil should buy themselves. That would be for the best.

One thing that people could have done, bought Vigil for $1 then laid everyone off, shut the doors, and sold everything.

i have no interest in vigil, or the darksiders or whatever they had in developing. I am not surprise the darksiders II was a flop, the graphics was subpar, and gameplay was so so. after playing darksiders one, I was surprised they even make a sequel for the game

#264 vherub

vherub

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

looking forward to a darksiders game featuring fury, wonder why ms or sony haven't picked anything up.
not like these prices are conker's bad fur day levels

#265 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Just an extremely formal reminder of what all these businesses care about. It certainly isn't making games.

Figures that I finally finished Darksiders 2 yesterday. Now my desire to play the next game is enormous, and there won't be one — such a unique series, too. Maybe we'll get a comic; I'd at least like to know what happens in the story.

#266 Bercelak

Bercelak

You are welcome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

If Platinum Games does get the Darksiders series...Imagine War and Death in Anarchy Reigns!
Chuck Norris won the 1983 world series of poker despite him holding just a joker, a 2 of clubs, a 7 of spades, and a green number 4 from Uno and a monopoly 'get out of jail free' card.

#267 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I guess Brian Farrell's days flying in corporate jets on THQ's dime are almost over. Someone took a picture of him in the bankruptcy hearings. He's relaxed, just another day in the office.

https://pbs.twimg.co...AWfs-.jpg:large

#268 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Jason Rubin Talks About THQ's Struggles And Final Days:

#269 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Good luck Volition.

#270 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Jason Rubin Talks About THQ's Struggles And Final Days:

Shit, the guy talks about how nurturing and supportive Sony was, but they might be next. Maybe it's nothing, but I don't see how you sell your US corporate headquarters and not raise a few eyebrows. They've had four straight years of losses.