The Humble Botanicula Debut - 4/26 non-game bonuses added

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
A new Humble Bundle is now out. This one is games from Amanita Design, including Botanicula which has just been released today. As usual games are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux as DRM free downloads. Steam keys are only available for purchases over $5.

The games in the bundle are:
  • Botanicula
  • Machinarium
  • Samorost 2
  • Windosill*
  • Kooky* (a feature length animated film)

*Only for purchases above average.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

4/26 Bonus Update:
Amanita Design is upping the ante with oodles of bonus content: a Botanicula art book & map collection, a Kooky bonus pack featuring behind-the-scenes photographs & concept art film, the independent album Zorya from Machinarium soundtrack artist Floex (a.k.a. Tomáš Dvořák), and the independent album HU from Botanicula soundtrack artist DVA.

And finally, Amanita Design's experimental interactive music project Osada has been added to the main download list above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swords & Soldiers is very fun and unique strategy game. Took me a few hours to beat and was definitely worth the extra money.

Thanks for this...only really interested in Canabalt though....Swords and Soldier too, but the Average is a bit high right now.

[quote name='aots16']Canabalt for android?! When did this happen!?[/QUOTE]

I believe most, if not all, of these games are making their Android debut with this.

[quote name='aots16']Canabalt for android?! When did this happen!?[/QUOTE]

Today I suppose.

FYI, if you bought the last Android bundle there is now an update for the app. You can add this bundle to it as well and manage all of the apps from the same place. You will need to authenticate your old bundle as well after updating.

I love swords and soldiers, so I'm excited to see it coming on Android now! Avadon is tablet-only, but the rest of them work on android phones. There is also a humble bundle app you can now use to keep your apps up-to-date.

Yes, this is the android debut for a lot of these.

[quote name='louiedog']Today I suppose.

FYI, if you bought the last Android bundle there is now an update for the app. You can add this bundle to it as well and manage all of the apps from the same place. You will need to authenticate your old bundle as well after updating.[/QUOTE]

They have also updated their app so it sends you a push notification in your status bar if there are game updates so you shouldn't have to keep checking back in the app every so often to see if there are updates.

[quote name='Smef']I love swords and soldiers, so I'm excited to see it coming on Android now! Avadon is tablet-only, but the rest of them work on android phones. There is also a humble bundle app you can now use to keep your apps up-to-date.

Yes, this is the android debut for a lot of these.[/QUOTE]

the video on the website says it's steam redeemable....

[quote name='shivan128']the video on the website says it's steam redeemable....[/QUOTE]
That's correct! You also get a steam key for these games. You get one key for Avadon, Cogs, and Zen Bound 2 and a second Steam key for Swords and Soldiers.

Thanks op.
iopoiuy

Stupidly I first chose to download Avadon on my tablet. It's going slowly and I can't find a way to cancel it and download a smaller game first. I even restarted the tablet, but when I started it back up and chose Canabalt it resumed Avadon.

Already have all the Steam games except Zen Bound, but the bundle is totally worth it to get them on Android (now I might actually play them..) - plus Canabalt which I've heard so much about.

Glad I caught this bundle, was looking for a few games for my phone and tablet, being able to activate them on steam was a plus too.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Minimum still $1?[/QUOTE]

The minimum has always been a penny. $1 is required if you want the games on Steam.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Minimum still $1?[/QUOTE]

There is no minimum, however to receive Steam keys you will need to pay $1 or more.

edit: beaten

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I wish you could buy the bundle with a visa. Sigh...[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you checkout with Amazon and use your card there? I payed with my Visa debit card that way.

On an unlrelated note, has anyone tried Avadon on an HP Touchpad running Android? Curious if it works at all since it's "tablets only"

[quote name='louiedog']This one will be focused on Android games, but like previous bundles, games will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux.[/QUOTE]The last Android bundle included the games on Steam. I have Osmos, Anomaly and Toki Tori in my Steam library for that reason.

Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Couldn't you checkout with Amazon and use your card there? I payed with my Visa debit card that way.

On an unlrelated note, has anyone tried Avadon on an HP Touchpad running Android? Curious if it works at all since it's "tablets only"[/QUOTE]

I can confirm it does work with the HP Touchpad yes. I am running Cyanogen Mod 9 and no problems here with it.

I haven't tried it on CM7 but I dont' see why not. I believe it checks your screen resolution to see if you have what it considers a tablet or not so it should run on tablets with older OSes like Gingerbread (ie Kindle Fire) but since I have not specifically tested on that don't quote me.

I did try it on my phone for the hell of it and it wouldn't run citing the resolution was too low.

Put in $6. Don't really know why though. I think it's cuz I got my first smartphone recently and wanted games on it that I'll never play too often. Zen Bound looks neat though... Nothing super exciting however.

[quote name='Shadowiii']FYI: Kindle Fire's don't count as "tablets," so Avadon will NOT WORK on a Kindle Fire. The rest work fine, though.[/QUOTE]

Somebody should mention to the to Humble Guys then. They did test these games beforehand and were really concerned about making sure they worked okay across a range of devices.

The Kindle Fire is the top selling Android tablet to date so I think they really need to address that and people need to report it to them to let them know.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I wished they tracked the average, like indieroyale, for those looking to get swords.[/QUOTE]

I know it's not what you're looking for but from what I recall the average probably won't drop very much. Especially now with the $1 floor for Steam keys. It might settle down to $5 since the early pledges are usually the big donors (thus raising the average) but no lower than that.

[quote name='Motoki']Somebody should mention to the to Humble Guys then. They did test these games beforehand and were really concerned about making sure they worked okay across a range of devices.

The Kindle Fire is the top selling Android tablet to date so I think they really need to address that and people need to report it to them to let them know.[/QUOTE]

Sent an email off to their support email. Will let you guys know if i get a response.

Just to be clear, Avadon will not run at all on the Kindle Fire or it's just listed as incompatible? If people have tried it and it doesn't work I'd like to add the info to the OP because I know a lot of CAGs have them.

[quote name='Motoki']Somebody should mention to the to Humble Guys then. They did test these games beforehand and were really concerned about making sure they worked okay across a range of devices.

The Kindle Fire is the top selling Android tablet to date so I think they really need to address that and people need to report it to them to let them know.[/QUOTE]

Well that's really more of an Amazon issue since they try to keep the Fire locked to the Amazon App Store as the only source of apps.

Of course, most apps can be "side-loaded" onto the device but I don't have a Fire so I'm not sure how easy/difficult a process that is or whether most games scale appropriately.

[quote name='Mooby']I know it's not what you're looking for but from what I recall the average probably won't drop very much. Especially now with the $1 floor for Steam keys. It might settle down to $5 since the early pledges are usually the big donors (thus raising the average) but no lower than that.[/QUOTE]

Just following up on this - don't count on the average falling below $5. Last Android bundle it only went up. First day you could get it in the $5 range but after that it was up to 7 or so. Not exactly breaking the bank but if you're trying to get this as cheap as possible, you might not want to wait.

[quote name='bchampnd']Well that's really more of an Amazon issue since they try to keep the Fire locked to the Amazon App Store as the only source of apps.

Of course, most apps can be "side-loaded" onto the device but I don't have a Fire so I'm not sure how easy/difficult a process that is or whether most games scale appropriately.[/QUOTE]

No it's nothing to do with Amazon because ALL Humble Bundle Android apps are sideloaded period. They even have their own app for updates because it doesn't go through either Amazon's OR Google's markets. All other Humble apps appear to work just fine on the Fire.

I believe the problem may be the developer using the Google standard of OS 3.0 (or higher) = Tablet and below 3.0 = phone. That is problematic because in real world practice there are a number of Android tablets that use 2.* including some of the best selling ones like the Fire and there are now phones using 4.0 like the Galaxy Nexus and a bunch more set to release this year.

[quote name='Mooby']I know it's not what you're looking for but from what I recall the average probably won't drop very much. Especially now with the $1 floor for Steam keys. It might settle down to $5 since the early pledges are usually the big donors (thus raising the average) but no lower than that.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I threw in $6 after swords, even though I already have avadon and cogs. Oh well! who knows! what great things they will add. That's always have the fun.

I can confirm the Galaxy Nexus can run Avadon. It yells about my resolution but I was able to enter the menus and start a new game. Looks like it's based somewhat on Android version.

On the issue of Avadon and the Kindle Fire (and other tablets running Android 2.*) I posed the question directly to the developer Jeff Vogel so we'll see what he says.

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2012/03/were-in-new-humble-bundle.html

*Edit: Okay Jeff says the minimum resolution needs to be 1024 x 600 which is exactly the Fire's resolution so it should work.

Can someone with a Fire try downloading the apk directly from their Humble url. Don't use the Humble app, just use the web link in the email Humble sent confirming your purchase, download the Avadon apk directly, install and see what happens (it may take a minute to load on a black screen).

I wonder if maybe it is Humble's app that is the issue. Unfortunately I don't have a Fire to test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Kindle Fire and Avadon does indeed install and work fine. (so far no force closes or anything odd/buggy)

But my Kindle Fire is rooted with CM7 and a custom build.prop so I'm not sure how helpful that is to stock users...but Avadon does work.

The Kindle Fire is the top selling Android tablet to date so I think they really need to address that and people need to report it to them to let them know.[/QUOTE]Well to be fair the Kindle Fire is not considered an Android tablet or counted among Android devices even though it uses a heavily modified version of android as a base.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I wished they tracked the average, like indieroyale, for those looking to get swords.[/QUOTE]

In the middle of the page, there is a breakdown of stats, that shows average per OS (linux, mac, windows), and an overall average; is this what you mean? It currently says $6.05, so I just threw in $7, to be safe, and because that's less than a dollar over. I got Swords, so I assume this is the average to beat.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I have a Kindle Fire and Avadon does indeed install and work fine. (so far no force closes or anything odd/buggy)

But my Kindle Fire is rooted with CM7 and a custom build.prop so I'm not sure how helpful that is to stock users...but Avadon does work.[/QUOTE]

Okay that is good to know. I let the Humble guys know their app itself might not be detecting it properly as a tablet and they said they would look into it but that the Fire is sort of an odd beast, heh.

[quote name='TestType']Well to be fair the Kindle Fire is not considered an Android tablet or counted among Android devices even though it uses a heavily modified version of android as a base.[/QUOTE]

Based on what exactly? I remember reading somewhere once a news article that claimed Google only counted devices that were 3G/4G activated through a carrier as 'active Android devices' including tablets. I don't know if that is true but if so it would rule most Android tablets out I think.

The whole thing about what is or isn't an Android device cam be kind of grey area anyhow. I have an HP TouchPad running Android, but is it an 'Android Device'? For all intents and purposes? Yes. Counted in 'official numbers'? Probably not.

Anyway, I think the Fire should count. It's forked Android but still Android and the Humble games for the most part do work on it. *shrug*

You know, during the Holiday sale I strongly considered buying Avadon, but I held off because it seemed like a game that might end up in a bundle sometime soon. Obviously this decision has paid off for me now.

I'm not sure if this is what they were looking for when these bundle makers started their bundles. I mean, I'm definitely playing more indie games than I was a year and a half ago, but I've gotten to the point where I stop myself whenever I'm thinking about buying an indie. I only get them through bundles now.

Avadon is crashing on the Transformer Prime as well. It will crash at the title screen most of the time. When you get in game, it'll eventually crash.

Ice Cream Sandwich, no custom roms or anything.

[quote name='Spokker']Avadon is crashing on the Transformer Prime as well. It will crash at the title screen most of the time. When you get in game, it'll eventually crash.

Ice Cream Sandwich, no custom roms or anything.[/QUOTE]

I hope that people are reporting issues like these. Like I mentioned before, I know the HB guys really did try to test these apps on a wide range of devices before release, particularly since these are not just new to them but to Android entirely, but they couldn't hit every configuration.

It says on the main page:

Note that this is the initial release of all the games for Android, and most of them for Linux. Please be patient while the developers fix any 1.0 bugs as quickly as they can, and of course, don't hesitate to contact us if you encounter any issues.

There are bound to be some hiccups but the HB guys are really good at communicating with the various developers and often will have a new build put out in a relatively short time if the issue is serious but they can't fix anything if they don't know about it.

Everything is working decently on the HTC EVO View 4G

Avadon - no problem so far (although in the tip screen it said you can change orientation, didn't find that in settings)
Zen Bound 2 - first start-up after selecting the first level was just black screen. Quit, closed and tried again and seems to be working fine now
Canabalt - Worked fine a few rounds and then expectantly had a forced close. Hopefully rare.
Cogs - no problemo
S&S - no problemo

To report device compatibility
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGh6UXhjM0pZdXBqWmNwR19pMGFuTUE6MQ#gid=0

bread's done
Back