The Humble Botanicula Debut - 4/26 non-game bonuses added

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#181 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Sorry but I think I am just going to go 'meh' to all that. I don't really see this as a bundle but rather a $5 sale on one game with a bunch of extras.

I still think the whole idea of this thing is poorly implemented and not really what, in my opinion, humble bundle should be about. If Amanita wanted to sell the game at $5 on launch with extras why not just do it through the normal store channels like Steam, Gamersgate, GOG etc and then just donate a portion of their procedes to charity themselves?

#182 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Sorry but I think I am just going to go 'meh' to all that. I don't really see this as a bundle but rather a $5 sale on one game with a bunch of extras.

I still think the whole idea of this thing is poorly implemented and not really what, in my opinion, humble bundle should be about. If Amanita wanted to sell the game at $5 on launch with extras why not just do it through the normal store channels like Steam, Gamersgate, GOG etc and then just donate a portion of their procedes to charity themselves?

Well, they never called this one a bundle. The Humble Bundle people actually use their store software to sell indie games on dev websites outside of bundles. It could be argued that this one just was worthy of their frontpage. Or you could argue it's all semantics. ;)

As for why, I think that has to do with this being the only way they were going to make $300k+ in a week after the charity and store cuts. It's a much more niche game if it's just listed on Steam/GOG.

#183 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

To be fair to Amanita Design, this isn't the first bundle to focus on one game, and isn't even the first game launch. The Frozen Synapse Bundle was originally just the one game, with other games and the Frozenbyte Bundle bonus added later. Humble Voxatron Debut was also a launch title and was also initially only one game, with others added later. The Humble Mojam was initially also just one 48-hour game until other developers joined it soon after it launched.

Humble Bundle, the site, seems to mix things up and isn't just focused on delivering one bundle of games after another.

#184 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Well, they never called this one a bundle.

And yet the webpage is called Humble Bundle. :philosoraptor:

#185 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Wow, that is the highest average price I've ever seen on Humble Bundle! Anyone else here think those incredibly generous donations by Humble Brony and lorauwar so early on are killing the momentum of this bundle? With all these other indie bundles hitting so close recently, I think this one is more than a bit out of my budget.

#186 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Wow, that is the highest average price I've ever seen on Humble Bundle! Anyone else here think those incredibly generous donations by Humble Brony and lorauwar so early on are killing the momentum of this bundle? With all these other indie bundles hitting so close recently, I think this one is more than a bit out of my budget.

I think the $5 min for Steam keys played a much larger part by not dragging it down. There are a lot fewer people grabbing Steam keys to later trade/sell at that price. They've also shifted a lot more to putting new content as above average bonuses rather than previous bundle content.

#187 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

If you removed their two donations, the average price right now would drop two cents to $8.78. Even earlier on, I doubt their donations affected the average by more than a few cents.

I think the biggest factor is the $5 minimum for the Steam key. Many people buy these deals specifically for the Steam keys, and $5 is still cheaper than buying it from other places. So the average price is being inflated due to the cheapasses who pay the Steam minimum paying $5 this time instead of $1 or $0.01 in earlier bundles. The Windows donators are known for being the cheapest (likely partially because Windows is the default selection and most people don't change it) and even their average is well over $5.

#188 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'm so used to paying more than the average, I didn't even know there was an increase to $5 for Steam keys. Has it not been like that for awhile?

@marsilies: That doesn't make sense, you can't just take out their 2 donations now when they have influenced the average price from the beginning and automatically assume that everyone who paid over average would've paid the exact same amounts as they have. ...and if what you mentioned were true about people buying tons of $5 Steam keys, the average would have dropped to be much closer to $5 than the $8-9 it is now.

#189 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'm so used to paying more than the average, I didn't even know there was an increase to $5 for Steam keys. Has it not been like that for awhile?

There wasn't any minimum for Steam keys until the Steam holiday promotion. There was a Humble Bundle at the same time. People would buy 100 keys for $1 and activate them on new Steam accounts to get prizes and coupons. They bumped it up to $1 minimum after a few days and kept that in every bundle since to stop people from further abusing them.

They imposed a $5 minimum in this one because it features a brand new game and have said that it will return to $1 in the future.

#190 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

It used to be all purchases got Steam keys, even $0.01. Then around Christmas they saw a huge number of $0.01 purchases by people trying to exploit Steam's Christmas promotion. After that, they raised it to a minimum of $1 in order to get a Steam code. This is the first one that had a $5 minimum, due to it being a new release title, but it will likely drop back to $1 for other bundles.

@marsilies: That doesn't make sense, you can't just take out their 2 donations now when they have influenced the average price from the beginning and automatically assume that everyone who paid over average would've paid the exact same amounts as they have.

If people were pledging specifically based on the current average price, and priced either at the average or slightly above, that means that the two large donations likely caused those people to pay a few cents more than they would've. This would cause a exponential increase in the average price, but on a minor scale. Even assuming those two donations boosted the average price $0.08 (or about 4x their current effect), that's still only 1% of the average price, meaning people would pay 1% more than if those donations hadn't been made.

...and if what you mentioned were true about people buying tons of $5 Steam keys, the average would have dropped to be much closer to $5 than the $8-9 it is now.

The $5 donations are dropping the average, but not on the scale that the 1¢ or $1 purchases in the past have.

Let's take two people, one who beats the average, and one who pays the absolute minimum for Steam keys. Taking a "beat the average" price of $8.80:

$8.80 + $5 = $13.80 --> $6.9 average
$8.80 + $1 = $9.80 --> $4.9 average
$8.80 + 1¢ = $8.81 --> $4.41 average

So the $1 and $0.01 purchases in the past were able to offset the higher "beat the average" prices much more, keeping the average price lower.

#191 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

These ponies must be stopped!

#192 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I found the stats page for prior Humble bundles.

@Mooby: Only if they're actually hurting the Humble Bundle...that still remains to be seen though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying it just because I can't currently afford to donate what I'd want since all those other bundles hit at around the same time and I'm not one of those pay a penny guys.

#193 M3wThr33

M3wThr33

Batman with a gun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

I wonder how much I could bring down the average if I spent 1 penny 500 times.

#194 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

@M3wThr33: 6 cents.

#195 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I wonder how much I could bring down the average if I spent 1 penny 500 times.

You would bring down the average by about 6 cents.

Edit: Damn my slow calculator. I need to overclock that thing.

#196 vherub

vherub

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

I put in $10, I really enjoyed Machinarium, and like the charity they've chosen

#197 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hopefully they'll add a new game before the bundle ends. The bonuses they added are nice but I'm sure a lot of people were expecting a new game considering every single Humble Bundle so far has had a game added as a bonus.

#198 syclick

syclick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Great bundle, but I wish they'd add the Kooky OST.

#199 kdb1981

kdb1981

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

Can't pass up a game by amanita-design and it a humble bundle of the newest one so i am definitely in
DO ANY OF US REALLY EXIST OR ARE WE ALL JUST PART OF SOMETHING IN A MUCH GREATER REALITY'S DREAM?!? IF SO WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE DREAMER AWAKES!?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#200 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

remember when humble bundle came out once a year

#201 Neuropod

Neuropod

Because, anarchy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

Two in 2010 and six in 2011 so...no?

#202 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Less than 3 hours to go just in case anyone still wants in on this bundle. Nothing new has been added since last time and the beat the average minimum is currently $8.90 to get the Kooky movie and Windosill.