Alright, Michael Bay has gone too far.

The difference between Michael Bay and Uwe Boll is that Bay's movies make money.

But...ugh. I'm afraid of what they will look like. Maybe sponsorships on their shells?

So...Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles? Or would they be ninjas since that is an earth-based martial arts system? And would they be turtles since they are an earth-based creature? So...Teenage Alien Fighting Amphibians?

Michael Bay is a moron! This is way I hated every Transformers movie he's put out. Their all terrible.

OH NO lets fake like we care about childhood tv shows being remade into movies (we don't) and claim we won't see them now (we will) and act like everyone will boycott them with us (they won't).

As somebody that enjoyed the camp of the original TMNT movies and felt the last CG movie was OK, I'm kinda looking forward to mindless action explosion fest this is going to be. That's the one thing I like about Michael Bay: you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Mind off, explosions on.

I know the Transformers movies aren't perfect, but I'm never sure what exactly people expected when they go on rants about how they hated them.

They are live action movies about alien robots that disguise themselves as cars, and the source material that they are based off of is a 1980's cartoon for children... What exactly do you want? Best picture of the year material? :lol:

I think the issue is that people want the movies to make them feel as happy as they did when they were watching it at 8 years old. The problem with that is most people have significantly higher expectations as adults in comparison to themselves as a kid, plus it's hard to compete with something that triggers strong nostalgia.

[quote name='blindinglights']I know the Transformers movies aren't perfect, but I'm never sure what exactly people expected when they go on rants about how they hated them.

They are live action movies about alien robots that disguise themselves as cars, and the source material that they are based off of is a 1980's cartoon for children... What exactly do you want? Best picture of the year material? :lol:

I think the issue is that people want the movies to make them feel as happy as they did when they were watching it at 8 years old. The problem with that is most people have significantly higher expectations as adults in comparison to themselves as a kid, plus it's hard to compete with something that triggers strong nostalgia.[/QUOTE]
You're right, I do have high expectations as an adult. And as simple minded as the cartoons were, they didn't feature any characters with wrecking balls not-so-subtlety disguised as testicles or racially stereotyped characters. Hell the movies have been less mature than the cartoon or original movie.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Im guessing Asian.[/QUOTE]
Well, with the turtles having different personalities, I'm guessing we'll have a jive or hip hop turtle(maybe even gangster at that rate), a stoner turtle, and probably the Charlie Chan Clan. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if they gave Splinter HUGE buck teeth and super squinty eyes like Mickey Rourke in Breakfast at Tiffany's...with the accent of course.

[quote name='dohdough']Well, with the turtles having different personalities, I'm guessing we'll have a jive or hip hop turtle(maybe even gangster at that rate), a stoner turtle, and probably the Charlie Chan Clan. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if they gave Splinter HUGE buck teeth and super squinty eyes like Mickey Rourke in Breakfast at Tiffany's...with the accent of course.[/QUOTE]
Well actually splinter already basically looks like that. Granted the teeth are because he's a rat.

[quote name='blindinglights']I know the Transformers movies aren't perfect, but I'm never sure what exactly people expected when they go on rants about how they hated them.

They are live action movies about alien robots that disguise themselves as cars, and the source material that they are based off of is a 1980's cartoon for children... What exactly do you want? Best picture of the year material? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Transformers Prime yet (it airs on The Hub)? It is fantastic and takes the source material seriously and doesn't dumb anything down. It is a perfect example of what the movies should have attempted to do. It is probably the best version of Transformers I've ever seen - I can't say enough good things about it. Definitely check it out if you can - season 1 just came out on blu-ray.

[quote name='Clak']Well actually splinter already basically looks like that. Granted the teeth are because he's a rat.[/QUOTE]
True enough, but it wasn't ching-chong-chinaman-esque. Unlike the minstrels from Revenge of the Fallen. I remember the teeth from the cartoon and original comic series and apparently, they weren't that bad from google image or a quick flip through my collection.

[quote name='Javery']Have you seen Transformers Prime yet (it airs on The Hub)? It is fantastic and takes the source material seriously and doesn't dumb anything down. It is a perfect example of what the movies should have attempted to do. It is probably the best version of Transformers I've ever seen - I can't say enough good things about it. Definitely check it out if you can - season 1 just came out on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]
I've seen some clips of Prime and it looks really good. Better than Beast Wars, which gets a bum rap.

I think the issue is that people want the movies to make them feel as happy as they did when they were watching it at 8 years old. The problem with that is most people have significantly higher expectations as adults in comparison to themselves as a kid, plus it's hard to compete with something that triggers strong nostalgia.[/QUOTE]

less humans and randomn t&A and more focus on the robots. also no stupid robot humor and robots using stupid slang terms and and definitely no racial stereotype robots. and no robots with big balls and no robots pissing.

nobody expected oscar worthy material but the transformers films are fucking stupid. how the fuck can giant robots with weapons that could easily demolish the earth not be able to kill one or 2 particular humans? these movies dont require you to suspend belief they expect you to be retarded.

tits, ass , lame jokes and tons of explosions with no substance.thats all his movies are about and when it comes to some things it just doesnt cut it. the guy is stuck in the 90s.

as far as this turtle movie goes them being aliens is stupid but i dont care the turtles are pretty much a dead property to me. theyve been killed off and resurrected more times than dracula at this point on tv and in films. it sucks they cant come up with something new instead of rehashing the same old shit. hel if you want to refresh something why not flash gordon or bukaroo banzai. im still waiting for a sequel to doctor detroit lol.

You know, IIRC the original concept for the turtles was dark, like Batman dark. The only thing we grew up with was the cartoon show/comics and while the first movie was slightly dark (and obviously my favorite for that reason), it was still wacky enough to be a kids movie. If anything, this is an opportunity to actually get closer to the source material and. . .yeah, it's Michael Bay.

Never-fucking-mind.

Although I hate Michael Bay movies, I accept them for what they are..mindless trash. My problem with him is why does he make movies about a known IP then change it. If you want to make a movie about karate aliens make one, don't make a TMNT movie & change their origin.

[quote name='Jodou']You know, IIRC the original concept for the turtles was dark, like Batman dark. The only thing we grew up with was the cartoon show/comics and while the first movie was slightly dark (and obviously my favorite for that reason), it was still wacky enough to be a kids movie. If anything, this is an opportunity to actually get closer to the source material and. . .yeah, it's Michael Bay.

Never-fucking-mind.[/QUOTE]
You remembered correctly. There was lots of killing in the original comic series.

[quote name='Jodou']You know, IIRC the original concept for the turtles was dark, like Batman dark. The only thing we grew up with was the cartoon show/comics and while the first movie was slightly dark (and obviously my favorite for that reason), it was still wacky enough to be a kids movie. If anything, this is an opportunity to actually get closer to the source material and. . .yeah, it's Michael Bay.

If Chris Nolan got hold of this and wanted to make a dark version, like the original comics were, I'd be all over it. It would be the first time that they'd really be done true to the comics.

yeah the original comic were very dark from what i remember. if he did that id be curious to see how it comes out but i doubt he will itll be pg maybe pg13 at best.

[quote name='dohdough']You remembered correctly. There was lots of killing in the original comic series.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind a movie based on that. The original concept was kind of badass. I always wondered why the turtles weren't pissed off that they were... turtles.. in a sewer

[quote name='camoor']I wouldn't mind a movie based on that. The original concept was kind of badass. I always wondered why the turtles weren't pissed off that they were... turtles.. in a sewer[/QUOTE]

You should watch Turtles Forever. Its hysterical and those original comic book era turtles make an appearance. I couldnt stop laughing while watching this.

As for the movie.. Teenage Ninja Aliens doesnt really have the same effect as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I wont hate on it yet though. Im not a fan of Transformer movies (then again even as a child I was more a fan of the toys than the cartoons) but I will still give this a chance. It cant be any worse than the last CG Turtles movie. April was a ninja in it! Huh?

I still have the ol' Mirage Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic, Issue #1 somewhere in storage.

That said, I don't care about the property. However, if I were a fan of any property I'd be pissed if Michael Bay acquired the rights to use it in a film. His mediocre Transformers films is a good example of his, well, mediocrity.

I did like his version of The Island, tho.

[quote name='dohdough']Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if they gave Splinter HUGE buck teeth and super squinty eyes like Mickey Rourke in Breakfast at Tiffany's...with the accent of course.[/QUOTE]

Mickey Rooney?

[quote name='lokizz']yeah the original comic were very dark from what i remember. if he did that id be curious to see how it comes out but i doubt he will itll be pg maybe pg13 at best.[/QUOTE]

Both the original comic and pretty much all the comics under Mirage were of a more darker tone and almost nothing like the tv show that everyone knows the Turtles from.

I've been a big fan of them for pretty much my whole life. I was an late 80's early 90's kid so I grew up with the show and movies. Once I got a little older I got into the comics and stayed with them all the way up until co-creato Peter Laird sold the rights to Viacom just two(?) years ago. As a huge fan, I'm pretty worried. Though, I will admit that I'm just glad a new movie is being made at this point. I'm a little outraged at the Alien race bit, but I'll reserve my judgment for now, at least until more story details are revealed. Even Mr. Laird himself has stated that it could be an interesting concept. :shrugs:

I pretty much gave up on TMNT once I saw an image from "The Next Mutation" of a female ninja turtle with a rack. Gave me the creeps.

Alien turtles doesn't sound so good. I get this creepy feeling they will be from the same planet that gave us Howard the Duck.

[/QUOTE]

For me, I expected to actually see the Transformers when they fought. Not just flailing metal parts. I feel bad for anybody that watched that on a 120Hz TV. That shit would have killed an epileptic.

I paid to see the first Transformers in theaters -- I hated it, but still got suckered in by my hopes for the sequel. Ever since then, I've sworn off anything Michael Bay has any part in. The death of his career can't come swiftly enough.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I paid to see the first Transformers in theaters -- I hated it, but still got suckered in by my hopes for the sequel. Ever since then, I've sworn off anything Michael Bay has any part in. The death of his career can't come swiftly enough.[/QUOTE]

bay and shamylan both need to ride off into the sunset. seriously how do you fuck up an avatar movie? the damn thing writes itself not to mention he could have just followed the cartoon.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']For me, I expected to actually see the Transformers when they fought. Not just flailing metal parts. I feel bad for anybody that watched that on a 120Hz TV. That shit would have killed an epileptic.[/QUOTE]
I don't know wtf was up with all the hand to hand fighting anyway, there was very little of that in the show. Highly advanced sentient robots from another world, and most of fights end up with them punching each other, wtf.....

[quote name='lokizz']less humans and randomn t&A and more focus on the robots. also no stupid robot humor and robots using stupid slang terms and and definitely no racial stereotype robots. and no robots with big balls and no robots pissing.

nobody expected oscar worthy material but the transformers films are fucking stupid. how the fuck can giant robots with weapons that could easily demolish the earth not be able to kill one or 2 particular humans? these movies dont require you to suspend belief they expect you to be retarded.

tits, ass , lame jokes and tons of explosions with no substance.thats all his movies are about and when it comes to some things it just doesnt cut it. the guy is stuck in the 90s.[/QUOTE]
:applause:
[quote name='Clak']I don't know wtf was up with all the hand to hand fighting anyway, there was very little of that in the show. Highly advanced sentient robots from another world, and most of fights end up with them punching each other, wtf.....[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:

The Turtles were originally created as a satire of Frank Miller's work, which was becoming hugely popular at the time but still obscure outside comics geekdom. (This was before The Dark Knight Returns) The Turtles were ninjas because Miller had almost single-handedly made ninjas a big thing. A few years earlier most people had never heard the word and even some Asian movies were dubbed in such a way that characters who were plainly ninjas were never referred to as such. And they weren't big in Japanese culture, as they were historically regarded as scum. Hired hands with no loyalty to anyone in a culture that took loyalties very seriously.

The cartoons lost all of that because it meant nothing to eight year olds and instead cranked up the cute. It made the creator super rich so they could marry Penthouse Pets and indulge all kinds of expensive whims.

If you can find it, there was another really good series of Frank Miller parodies that crossed over with the Turtles. This was the GnatRat by Mark Martin, a character who veered from being a Daredevil parody to being a Batman parody and others along the way.

It tends to be very inside baseball, with a fair chunk of the material meaningless to anyone who wasn't a comics geek at the time and following the various industry battles and scandals.

Another comic that originally had a lot of great parodies was Cerebus by Dave Sim. It was great stuff for about the first 100 issues but became incredibly dull and pedantic as Sim decided to crank up the DEPTH setting way past the factory recommended limits. This went on for another 200 issues, where the series ended as he'd announced it would almost twenty years earlier.

Cerebus had a character who was perpetually becoming different super-heroes, all with some sort of cockroach theme while also being Moon Knight, Spider-man, etc., because he was simply insane but also a huge frightening thug who was easily manipulated by, well, almost anybody.

[quote name='Clak']I don't know wtf was up with all the hand to hand fighting anyway, there was very little of that in the show. Highly advanced sentient robots from another world, and most of fights end up with them punching each other, wtf.....[/QUOTE]

That had more to do with the Bureau of Standards & Practices than the concept of the show. The censors constantly made it difficult to tell a believable story in which any kind of combat was involved.

Joe Straczynski has a bunch of great stories from his days working on shows like Ghostbusters, GI Joe, Superman, etc.

On one episode the script had dialogue referencing the Necronomicon, a lengendary book of forbidden knowledge created by H.P. Lovecraft for some of his stories. The BS&P said it couldn't be mentioned because kids would look it up and get all devil worshippy or something. JMS told the guy that wasn't possible because the book didn't exist and was just a famous plot device. No, the guy said, it was real and he could prove it! This went on quite a while.

In a Superman episode, the script called for Superman to destroy a giant robot by crash through its body. Censor said no, it was murder. The robot was in the shape of a man, therefore it had a soul.

That was life, writing kid shows in the 80s.

1232550426_worf-face-palm.gif

[quote name='epobirs']That had more to do with the Bureau of Standards & Practices than the concept of the show. The censors constantly made it difficult to tell a believable story in which any kind of combat was involved.

Joe Straczynski has a bunch of great stories from his days working on shows like Ghostbusters, GI Joe, Superman, etc.

On one episode the script had dialogue referencing the Necronomicon, a lengendary book of forbidden knowledge created by H.P. Lovecraft for some of his stories. The BS&P said it couldn't be mentioned because kids would look it up and get all devil worshippy or something. JMS told the guy that wasn't possible because the book didn't exist and was just a famous plot device. No, the guy said, it was real and he could prove it! This went on quite a while.

In a Superman episode, the script called for Superman to destroy a giant robot by crash through its body. Censor said no, it was murder. The robot was in the shape of a man, therefore it had a soul.

That was life, writing kid shows in the 80s.[/QUOTE]
This clip right here sums up my opinion of standards & practices perfectly. The only way you get anything edgy on TV is if you have the 'premium' channels 9 times outta 10. Anyway, here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnNURx3Y6Q

If people stop buying into this nonsense, then this stuff wouldn't happen.
I can't say that I'm "mad", but it just seems like a radical change just for the sake of the attention..then people will "hate" it..but "go see it out of curiosity, just to see how bad it is"...and lie about disliking it.. LOL

Just from what I read.. I have 0 interest in this.

What if they're mutant aliens. Would that make people happy?

Are the turtles even still around anymore (on TV I mean)? Maybe this movie will make the turtles relevant to the current generation of kids (which is probably the target audience of the movie).

Seems like the Transformers movies made the Transformers relevant again. I never watched Transformers growing up because I don't think it was on...all I remember is Beast Wars which I thought was awful.

Outside of nostalgia I don't see how anyone could like the old animated Transformers movie and hate the new ones. It's a bad movie.

After thinking about it, it's not really that far-fetched is it? With the Utroms, Krang, Dimension X, etc?

Duh:

http://tmnt.wikia.com/wiki/Utrom

[quote name='"Mirage Comics"']The Utroms were stranded on Earth and interacted with humans through the company, T.C.R.I.. They are responsible for creating and losing the canister of mutagen that transformed Splinter and the Turtles. When they were stranded, the Utroms contacted their homeworld. They were ordered to stay and observe humanity. Eventually, they were forced to leave Earth by teleporting to another world. They later returned and opened official relations with humans and other alien races. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='starmask2k3']He's working with Nickelodeon with this one lol[/QUOTE]

oh shit well its a kids movie then expect to see a music performance from one of those kids theyre always trying to turn into musical acts and some characters from their show will show up in character. and tons of popular phrases lol. " hey bro lets go gtl after we get some pizza"

bread's done
Back