CAGcast #276: My Back Hurts and I'm Doing a Podcast

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#31 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Way to deflect. Shadow Broker is in the main games, the Shadow Broker dlc doesn't do anything to change the fact that Liara is the Shadow Broker in ME3. It only gives you insight into how it happened.

He's done multiple ads? I've only seen the one where he said he was glad he wasn't aborted.

Does being part of a religious group automatically mean you agree with everything a group stands for? Is every Catholic anti birth control?

FOTF isn't a religious group it is a hate group.

#32 aerotive

aerotive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

The From Ashes DLC absolutely should have been in the game, it expands on the story so much and gives you new perspectives.

As to whether it was in the game or not originally, there's a couple possibilities...first say you are a developer and you have a game with a really tight budget, people are getting a great value. You want to add a bit more, so you add $10 DLC.

Second possibility, similar scenario but you're owned by a megacorp that wants to squeeze out every last dollar and knows there will be terrific demand. So you take out an important part of the game and sell it as an extra. It's pretty obvious what happened with ME3.

Personally I rarely rarely do DLC (all I've bought this generation is the two Geometry Wars games and two Halo map packs) so I just youtubed all the DLC as it came out. An inferior experience, yes, but good enough for me, and I don't have to play into EA's BS.

Re repeating the name of the game being discussed more than once, I _really_like that idea if it's done in a subtle way. I'm usually doing something or other while listening to podcasts (cooking, cleaning, exercising, driving, on the bus/train, playing video games etc etc) so it'd be helpful and would save me some rewinding.

#33 cheapfrag

cheapfrag

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Cheapy - With regard to your back problem... I think stress can be a contributing factor, making your muscles more tense and prone to getting aggravated, but it's probably not the cause. As you get older, there will probably more things that will trigger the pain... bad posture, lifting incorrectly, twisting, stress, etc.

#34 walterqchocobo

walterqchocobo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Bickle, thanks for the show notes!

#35 Cheshire Wolf

Cheshire Wolf

CAG BALLER!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

The biggest argument against Cheapys book analogy, is that when an author publishes a book that is way more finite, than putting it in a video game. No one is going to go buy the same book for a different ending. However, with digital media the way it is today it is much easier for Bioware to change and EASILY DISTRIBUTE a new ending and then just as easily play it off like they are giving us the privilege of a 'new ending' I love Bioware as much as the next guy, but how about making this new ending, free? Yeah, I'm asking for it. Free.

And this is how ironic Bioware's marketing is. I'm aware of all of this. I do not own a 360. I haven't played Mass Effect. Sometimes I play Call of Duty. And I've never even played Mass Effect! (It's my plan this summer a game a month). But I'm a heavy duty PS3 guy. But why am I so engulfed in this franchise that I have nothing to do with!

That's good marketing.
Can a young Fuck get money anymore? - Kanye West

#36 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#37 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

The NFL is full of homophobes and sexists, better just give up the sport.
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#38 TylerDurden313

TylerDurden313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Wombat, I think you're being trolled. The dude clearly has a man-crush on Tim Tebow.

#39 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't have any opinion on Tim Tebow other than I think he is a terrible quarterback. I just found it a bit of a knee jerk reaction by Wombat.
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#40 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

According to the Bombcast, "Arrival" is the ME2 DLC that you need to play before starting ME3. Not because it's good, but because its story leads directly into the beginning of ME3.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#41 DragoonKnight

DragoonKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

According to the Bombcast, "Arrival" is the ME2 DLC that you need to play before starting ME3. Not because it's good, but because its story leads directly into the beginning of ME3.

This is what I thought Wombat was going to mention. Instead he talked about the Shadow Broker DLC which honestly is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I've played ME3 on PC importing a ME2 file without DLC and on 360 with a ME2 file that did all the DLC and it really doesn't impact the shadow broker stuff at all. However, they sort of just casually mention that you
Spoiler
without any context whatsoever if you didn't play the Arrival DLC.

EDIT: Also, the shadow broker is a HE in the context that poster described him. Unless Wombat considers this a woman.

Posted Image

#42 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

This is what I thought Wombat was going to mention. Instead he talked about the Shadow Broker DLC which honestly is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I've played ME3 on PC importing a ME2 file without DLC and on 360 with a ME2 file that did all the DLC and it really doesn't impact the shadow broker stuff at all. However, they sort of just casually mention that you

Spoiler
without any context whatsoever if you didn't play the Arrival DLC.

EDIT: Also, the shadow broker is a HE in the context that poster described him. Unless Wombat considers this a woman.

That is not my Shadow Broker in ME3

#43 DragoonKnight

DragoonKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

You directly responded to a quote that was referencing the Shadow Broker in ME1 and ME2, which that Shadow Broker is. Please stop referring to YOUR Shadow Broker because everyone's Shadow Broker is exactly the same. Which is why I am arguing the DLC does not change the canon at all.

#44 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

You directly responded to a quote that was referencing the Shadow Broker in ME1 and ME2, which that Shadow Broker is. Please stop referring to YOUR Shadow Broker because everyone's Shadow Broker is exactly the same. Which is why I am arguing the DLC does not change the canon at all.

And he ignored me too when I pointed out the same and just said his Shadow Broker is a girl. Never let facts get in the way of an opinion I guess.
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#45 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Wait, so if you don't do the Shadow Broker DLC, that weird alien creature is still the shadow broker in ME3? Cause if it isn't, and it's now Liara, then that's changing canon.

Well, more like, happening off panel canon I guess...

#46 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Liara is the Shadow Broker in ME3 no matter what. Which is the whole point of the dlc does NOT "change the canon". It just gives you insight into how she became the SB.
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#47 DragoonKnight

DragoonKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Wait, so if you don't do the Shadow Broker DLC, that weird alien creature is still the shadow broker in ME3? Cause if it isn't, and it's now Liara, then that's changing canon.

Well, more like, happening off panel canon I guess...

Liara is always the Shadow Broker. That's the canon. No matter what you do she will always be the Shadow Broker. Just because something happens off-screen doesn't change the fact that it's still the canon.

#48 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Liara is always the Shadow Broker. That's the canon. No matter what you do she will always be the Shadow Broker. Just because something happens off-screen doesn't change the fact that it's still the canon.

Yes, then you are right, that is the canon. Still how she took over it is a large plot point, that I can see being confusing for someone who hasn't played the DLC. Which was more of the point I was trying to make.

I was also confused as you guys made it sound as though you still had the old Shadow Broker in your ME3 game.

#49 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Then the same applies with the Arrival. Happened off screen, but it still happened and is now canon.

I think the main complaint is player canon. If they go into ME3 expecting the Shadow Broker as a mysterious character in space like a more secretive Illusive Man, then suddenly it's Liara...then that's a sudden WTF happened moment that isn't explained. Or at least I'm guessing it isn't explained.

#50 DragoonKnight

DragoonKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yes, then you are right, that is the canon. Still how she took over it is a large plot point, that I can see being confusing for someone who hasn't played the DLC. Which was more of the point I was trying to make.

I was also confused as you guys made it sound as though you still had the old Shadow Broker in your ME3 game.

In fairness to you, you said Ben Gilbert brought the point up. So he was the one who was actually wrong and you just believed him.

#51 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Then the same applies with the Arrival. Happened off screen, but it still happened and is now canon.

I think the main complaint is player canon. If they go into ME3 expecting the Shadow Broker as a mysterious character in space like a more secretive Illusive Man, then suddenly it's Liara...then that's a sudden WTF happened moment that isn't explained. Or at least I'm guessing it isn't explained.

They explain it in a "Oh yeah by the way I'm the Shadow Broker now" kind of way.

The arrival DLC you piece together as the game goes on. I think it's somewhere in the Codex as well.

It's pieced together pretty well for the most part. But having the dlc or not does not radically change the ME3 experience, which maybe some people were expecting.
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#52 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

That Baldur's Gate remake is coming to the iPad.

http://wireless.ign..../1221334p1.html

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#53 metalmat

metalmat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

WOMBAT

The New Orleans Saints are the best sports team in the history of the universe, everyone knows this

On top of that our head coach is suspended for the season, our gm is suspended for 8 games and we lost our 2nd round draft pick for the next 2 seasons.

Add a few $500,000 fines and pending suspensions for our some of our defensive players, what's not to love?

Join the WhoDat nation and help us find out who the Snitch is!

Posted Image

Edited by metalmat, 22 March 2012 - 08:12 PM.

Who Dat said they gonna beat them Saints?
Posted Image

#54 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

@shipwreck

What day/days are you planning on attending MLG and do you intend to bring your Vita? My guess is if you bring your Vita you'll be able to figure out NEAR or--at the very least--witness NEAR explode upon checking in...

#55 dizee

dizee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Cheapy you compared the ending of ME3 to an author who writes an ending to his book and I do not think you get the point. First I would like to say you need to beat the game before you comment about anything regarding the ending but with that said:

This was the ending of a TRILOGY. We were promised answers and closure for the entire series. This wasn't just one game. All us loyal fans got was a big shit on our faces with the promise of a new ending for $9.99. Fans are upset because and they should be upset because they paid $60 for a final ending to the trilogy and instead got a slap in the face instead.

If I go to a restaurant and order a burger and they bring me a taco instead, I am gonna complain about it. That is what Bioware pulled.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#56 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I agree with CheapyD on Robot Alchemic Drive being awesome, but I don't agree that a remake or sequel should be "westernized". Robot Alchemic Drive parodies a lot of the older robot anime stereotypes, so much so that the voice acting was intentionally terrible. I even recall a news reporter in the game having a ridiculously over-the-top Japanese accent. Anyway, it's a great game, and I recommend it to everyone if you can find a cheap copy at GameStop or something.
http://www.giantbomb...61-18060/<br />
Good show.

#57 Tophat666

Tophat666

Big Bear with Top Hat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

I really don't wan to be a dick but...

You still giving away that copy of Naruto guys, I'd wouldn't mind taking it off your hands.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Join the WhoDat nation and help us find out who the Snitch is!

Warren Sapp said it was Shockey.
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#59 metalmat

metalmat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Warren Sapp said it was Shockey.

Eh I don't think a retweet from Warren Sapp is confirmation. It would not be a huge surprise if it was him but its nothing solid
Who Dat said they gonna beat them Saints?
Posted Image

#60 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

When it comes to ME 2 DLC showing up in my ME3 game, it doesn't matter in my opinion. See, I went and bought ME 2 DLC and various points in time. What ended up happening is I would play the game as character X, but never bothered with the DLC with character Y because I didn't want to play it again.

As a result I played through ME3 without shadow broker DLC acknowledgement in ME3 and I was fine with it. They did a nice job explaining what happened and I was like "Oh that Drell I had no attachment to died" oh well. The only thing you are missing I'm sure is about 15-20 minutes of dialogue and war assets from all the ME 2 DLC put together.

The reason I'm sure that they did this is because of ME 2 on PS3 which had all DLC included on the blu ray disc except "The Arrival" DLC if I remember correctly. I bet they figured people playing on the PS3 would be like "WTF happened to so and so" Since it was part of the game for them. I like that they included the ME 2 DLC and don't worry about feeling left out on content because you didn't buy ME 2 DLC. The missions still happen, it's just that Person A or B isn't present just like the people who died during the suicide mission in ME 2.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler