Best PS Vita sports game (as of March 2012)?

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
So I traded in Unit 13 and a few other games yesterday and now have $75 in GS credit. I want a sports game but I don't really know which would be best for me. MLB 12, FIFA Soccer, Virtua Tennis 4, and Hot Shots Gold: WI appear to be my only options. I already have HSG, and I love it, so if people vote that as the best option, perhaps I'll just stick with that for now.

My primary concern is I want something that is easy to pick up and play. I don't mind a slight learning curve, but I don't want something where I have too struggle/practice every day before I'll see positive results.

So with that said...if fellow CAGs could give their impressions, that would be great. For the record, I don't follow any of these sports, except soccer, but even then, only the major matches (Olympics/Championships).

Last edited by a moderator:
All I play is HSG. By far my favorite sports game since the PS1/PS2 days. I've heard FIFA is good, and i like how you can aim shots by using the rear touchpad. I haven't played it nor do I intended too, but I like the concept.

I can only go on what I heard, since I only have HSG:WI, but I'll happily regurgitate it here for ya...

FIFA is actually fairly decent, although it seems to have some menu and interface issues. It's basically a port of FIFA 11 with some FIFA 12 gameplay. There's a demo available for it, but I haven't tried it yet.

I've heard MLB is a good first attempt, but it has some issues and is really only worth it if you're using it with the PS3 version.

I've heard Virtua Tennis is pretty much the Hot Shots of tennis. Fun and addictive, but the Vita-specific functions are a bit hokey. I'd really like to try a demo... not sure one exists.

Keep in mind, that all that above is just what I've heard from various friends and podcasts... they may be on crack. But...

You forgot one... Hustle Kings! :p The asynchronous play in that is brilliant!

Personally, I'd just sit on that credit for as long as possible. Stuff will be coming out over the next couple months that you're going to want.

Is Hustle Kings worth it? I heard that the AI is terrible so you're really hoping for online players...

Also, I've basically heard the same things for each of the games, though Virtua Tennis definitely intrigues me. Target started their B2G1 sale today so that's why I'm asking. I'm hoping to pick up a few games today.

[quote name='SynGamer']Is Hustle Kings worth it? I heard that the AI is terrible so you're really hoping for online players...[/QUOTE]

I think it's $10. If you like pool, it's probably worth it. The worst thing about the game is probably the soundtrack. You'll be turning that off real quick. Otherwise, it's pretty slick. Graphics are incredible, controls are acceptable, assists are there for n00bs. Play a few games to get through the mechanics and how they handle controls, then the rest is mostly career progression for unlocks. Online play is available via a simple lobby system for real time (only sharks hang out there, most peeps get crushed in a game and never go back), or asynchronous via PSN messages. The asynch play is pretty cool... you have a fair amount of options and can run multiple games at a time... assuming you have friends who have HK. I'm always good for async play on HK... I'm a mediocre player at best.

For just a decent pool sim, you're done at the $10 price of entry. You can buy add-on content, but I'm not sure how much applies to the Vita and I can't see it really being worth much unless you're looking for some exotic games or tables. For basic 8-ball, 9-ball and a few other variations, the base version is all you need.

I'm gonna speak up for MLB The Show. Granted, I do have the PS3 version and the ability to play my franchise and career modes across both is the sole reason I even got a Vita, but even without the PS3 factor I would be putting in countless hours on the Vita. Full disclosure though, baseball is my favorite sport and I think it translates well on a handheld due to not having to do so much with so many players on the screen at once. The career mode is great because you can just play the at-bats and fly through a game in about 3 minutes if you don't have 30 minutes for a full game.

Now I will agree that Hot Shots Golf is amazing and I have sunk quite a bit of time in that as well. I have heard nothing but great things about Virtua Tennis as well even though it seems like no one actually bought it.

I'm just debating if I want to use the $10 off coupon on MLB 12 at GS. I am TERRIBLE at batting in the MLB games, just can't figure out the timing/speed, but I want a good/solid sports game.

Virtua Tennis 4. So addicting. I hardly ever play any game for more than an hour or two at a time. But with this, I'll sink 4 hours in when my tour was in full swing, or until my battery was about to die. I wasn't even a big tennis fan, and I love it. I traded in MLB for this, no regrets.

Get it, then add me on PSN for some matches.

MLB the Show, but it has a pretty steep learning curve. If you are willing to learn and dedicated some time into it, it will be by far the best simulation sports game you will ever play.

Most people new to MLB will get irritated by the batting because that is the least forgiving aspect in the game. Patience is the key in batting. Drive the count up, and only swing at good pitches. Alway look at the previous pitches that have been thrown or the pitcher is gonna love toying with you.

Second, I would pick Virtua Tennis, but I'm more of a Top Spin type player. Top Spin tends to have more depth. Virtua Tennis seems like a good pick up and play type game.

I have Fifa, and I like it a bunch, but I've always liked Fifa on the consoles, and playing Fifa on the Vita is like having a miniature PS3 playing a copy of Fifa 11. That being said, it does take a bit of practice to get good at the game, and the CPU can give a very stiff challenge.

I've played the Hot Shots Demo, and I must say I really, really, really, really want to get Hot Shots now. I love the Hot Shots on PSP, and I think that the 2nd Hot Shots on PSP is so good, that I figured that getting a Vita version is kinda a waste, because how much better can it really be? Well, after playing the demo, apparently much better. Hot Shots on the Vita is a freaking dream. The graphics are so crisp, so detailed. So.... dialed in. I mean, drop dead gorgeous!

Haven't played MLB at all (where is the demo Sony!), but I've heard there is almost zero cutscenes, and no fan fare when you hit home runs and stuff. Basically, the presentation is lacking. Some people are hoping the developer will patch in more cutscenes, and more fanfare type stuff for home runs and such. Still, I'd love to try the game out, even if it's just temporarily.

Virtua Tennis 4 - Would love to try a demo of this... Heard that it's pretty decent.

On a side note... can't wait for Madden 13 and NBA 2K13. I pray that those games get a good translation to the Vita, and I also pray that they aren't stripped down versions, missing tons of features.

[quote name='Anthony1']On a side note... can't wait for Madden 13 and NBA 2K13. I pray that those games get a good translation to the Vita, and I also pray that they aren't stripped down versions, missing tons of features.[/QUOTE]

See, for me, I'm waiting for the next NHL game. Hoping it appears on Vita and is as feature-rich as its console counterparts. I'm also waiting on a good racing game...

[quote name='SynGamer']See, for me, I'm waiting for the next NHL game. Hoping it appears on Vita and is as feature-rich as its console counterparts. I'm also waiting on a good racing game...[/QUOTE]

This. If EA can put out a quality version of NHL on the Vita the way they apparently did for FIFA then that is a day one no-brainer for me.

[quote name='SynGamer'] I'm also waiting on a good racing game...[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm surprised you're not all over F1.

I have the PSP version of GT5, but I thought that was terrible on the PSP and I can't see the Vita making it much better. :S

Perfect thread for my question. I'm interested in getting a sports game for my VITA, but the one thing I hate about current gen sports titles is all the "behind the scenes" content in franchise/season modes (i.e. contract negotiations, player training, salary budgeting, etc). Are any of the current options free of these features? Was close to biting o FIFA, as I'm a huge soccer/futbol fan... but I have no desire to "manage" my team.

Why can't all sports "sims" be like Tecmo Super NBA for SNES?!

[quote name='smthng']I haven't tried it yet, but I'm surprised you're not all over F1.

I have the PSP version of GT5, but I thought that was terrible on the PSP and I can't see the Vita making it much better. :S[/QUOTE]
I have a copy of F1 on the way thanks to Codemasters (being a mod has its benefits). Should be here any day now ;)

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Perfect thread for my question. I'm interested in getting a sports game for my VITA, but the one thing I hate about current gen sports titles is all the "behind the scenes" content in franchise/season modes (i.e. contract negotiations, player training, salary budgeting, etc). Are any of the current options free of these features? Was close to biting o FIFA, as I'm a huge soccer/futbol fan... but I have no desire to "manage" my team.

Why can't all sports "sims" be like Tecmo Super NBA for SNES?![/QUOTE]

I have Fifa, and while it might include some of those features, I don't bother with them at all, and it doesn't affect me in any way. I'm not into the whole managerial side of things either. I usually just enter a tournament with a team, and see how far I can get.

I sink waaaay too much time in to HSG. They've really got me in that pokemon-esque mode where I need to collect and unlock everything. Still haven't hit a hole in one, but almost have enough stars to
take on the platinum level golfer
. I don't know how they make those games so good.

I do really want to play Virtua Tennis 4 - the demo at Gamestop was rad and I can see myself really enjoying it, but I haven't found a good deal on it yet.

[quote name='handsomepete']I sink waaaay too much time in to HSG. They've really got me in that pokemon-esque mode where I need to collect and unlock everything. Still haven't hit a hole in one, but almost have enough stars to
take on the platinum level golfer
. I don't know how they make those games so good.

I do really want to play Virtua Tennis 4 - the demo at Gamestop was rad and I can see myself really enjoying it, but I haven't found a good deal on it yet.[/QUOTE]

Just wait until you can start earning crowns. The difficulty level takes a giant leap in the hard direction.

bread's done
Back