Photo
- - - - -

Playstation 4: Rumors and Speculation, complete with fanboy rage!

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#1 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

http://m.bgr.com/201...-4k-resolution/ '> BGR reports possible 4K resolution..
4K resolution? Seems far fetched in games, checkout benchmarks for the rumored hardware. The graphics chipset couldn't handle it well. So just means 4K movie supports, IMO

IGN claim they may have the spec sheet:

http://m.ign.com/art...ocessing-specs'> http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/04/04/sources-detail-the-playstation-4s-processing-specs

Kotaku reports a source.tells them no backwards compatibility. Games will be console locked. Not that Im that surprised. Too much money to be made on remakes

http://m.kotaku.com/...are-the-details

From the article:

THE NEXT PLAYSTATION, AT A GLANCE

IS CALLED, OR AT LEAST CARRIES THE WORKING CODENAME, "ORBIS".

IS SCHEDULED FOR A HOLIDAY 2013 RELEASE.

WON'T BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH PS3 GAMES.

WILL LOCK NEW GAMES TO A PSN ACCOUNT AS AN ANTI-USED GAMES MEASURE.

NEW GAMES CAN BE BOUGHT EITHER ON BLU-RAY OR DOWNLOADED.

CURRENT SPECS ARE AN AMD X64 CPU AND AMD SOUTHERN ISLANDS GPU

Edited by 6er, 22 August 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#2 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

If the no used games feature is true for MS and Sonys next machine I will be done gaming. Or I will just start pirating games. Very stupid move by them if true.

#3 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

They are doing us a favor, you'll never have to worry about who will.pay the most for your old games ever again!

#4 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Nothing I'm going to complain about. I'll be more upset if I can't carry my PSN games I've currently bought over to the PS4.

#5 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

If the no used games feature is true for MS and Sonys next machine I will be done gaming. Or I will just start pirating games. Very stupid move by them if true.

agreed (not about the pirating though) but with how opposed they are to the used game market and then not getting their"cut" im not surprised that theyre doing this. once they said m$ may be doing it i knew the only way itd work would be if all the console companies agreed to it across the board.

however if the price of new games drops then id go ahead with the console if not then yeah id say im done. but the drop needs to be significant like 30 to 40 for new games.

#6 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'm not one to sell back my games, I keep them as part of a collection, but I do buy a lot of used games. Mostly the used games I buy are less popular games that I can live without, or will never play. Lot of Superhero movie games, run of the mill shooters and RPGs, etc...

I almost always buy the AAA titles upon release. The Uncharteds, Call of Dutys, Skyrim, and so on, because I hate to wait for games I WANT to play.

Eliminating my ability to buy used games will severely limit my collection, but not my overall gaming time. I'll still buy the games I want, I will just have to pass on buying Iron Man 3, unless I find it new in some bargain bin.

However, I do think it will really hurt publishers of mediocre and average games. I bet a lot of people buy those type of games and quickly sell them to recoup their money. You're not going to be able to do that if the used game market is eliminated. Most people arent going to risk $70 (which i assume is going to be the new price point) on a stinking turd of a game.

They will also eliminate the "rent first" mentality, forcing people to rely on game reviews more than ever to see if the game is good or not.

I'd hate to see Gamefly go out of business; they have been very good to us with their sales over the last few years.

KneeKnee.png

#7 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

if thats the case why not go DLC Save on making Disc thats Dumb because how do they tell from use or new because if you opening a game up it beComes a used game so if i bought a new game for full price would it be locked later on

#8 thedolphinsrule

thedolphinsrule

It's Morphin Time!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

If this turns out to be the case I won't pay more than $20 for a game ever even if I have to wait a year for certain games

334204.png
12.pngufz.gif

#9 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've had the sneaking suspicion for a while now that not only would disc-based compatibility be spotty come next gen but that they'd (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo) find some way to Fuck us over when it comes to digital content as well.

I have an ever-growing digital library both on consoles and on PC and if any console maker decides to not carry over digital purchases then I'm not purchasing their next system period the end. That means Games On Demand, XBLIG, XBLA titles, Minis, PSOne Classics, PSN games, PS3 digital games, Virtual Console games, WiiWare games and my relevant DLC across the platforms.

If Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo decide to go that route come 2013/2014/whenever knowing full-well that places like Steam and GOG and the Android/Apple app stores all allow me to purchase digitally and carry said purchases forward regardless of upgraded hardware then it'll be my phone in my pocket, my tablet in my bag, and my PC hooked up to my TV come next gen.

Obviously there are going to be some unavoidable edge-cases and that's fine but if the vast majority of my current content doesn't carry over then I'm done with console gaming.

/rant ;)
sudo mklove

#10 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

If this turns out to be the case I won't pay more than $20 for a game ever even if I have to wait a year for certain games

Same here. I wait for most games to hit $20-$30 anyway but I fill the down time with $10 used games. This could be the beginning of the end. There are a ton of games I never would have played if I couldn't get them used and no doubt some of them led me to paying full price for the sequel. This is just short-sighted and dumb and I don't like where we are headed with all of this nickel and dime bullshit.

Now, if used games just required a $10 "activation" fee or something that would take the sting out of it and be a little more palatable. Of course, I'd assume used game prices would be adjusted downward to compensate for that...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#11 Lightning War

Lightning War

Baller on a Budget

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I don't buy used games, but I do borrow a lot of games from my friends and if the next generation kills that I'm going to be pissed. Used games sales aren't killing companies, they're doing just fine. To completely kill borrowing games from friends because you want some extra cash is ridiculous, and it just makes me want to get a PC gaming setup.

Portal 2 i thought was a shooter

#12 Kapwanil

Kapwanil

You: Harm / Us: Nuke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Well, if that's the case then that's going to put a serious hamper into GameFly, won't it? Yikes.

At the end of the day, though, I'll keep on doing what I've been doing for the past few years. My gaming backlog is already at anywhere from 1 to 3 years long, depending upon how fast I can go through all of them. I am more than happy to wait out any of the major new releases until they drop down from a presumable $60 to $30 or less. Easy enough to do as far as I'm concerned, and it's barely any different than what I'm doing right now.

#13 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

If they do drop the prices, people would love to have to have them $40-45 but we all know that's not gonna happen. It would have to be somewhere around $50-55 if we're lucky... or $60 -_-
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#14 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

No BC hurts. Especially for the numerous PSN games I own. I would be fully behind an all digital solution, as long as PS would follow Steam's lead and have aggressive pricing and sales.

#15 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Because wanting to keep money in the dev and publishers' pockets and not GameStops is such a terrible thing...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#16 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Because wanting to keep money in the dev and publishers' pockets and not GameStops is such a terrible thing...

Wanting to be able to sell something that I should legally own is a terrible thing in mine and many other people's opinion.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#17 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Wanting to be able to sell something that I should legally own is a terrible thing in mine and many other people's opinion.

You will still have the ability to sell it, just no one will want it. Pretty smart move on their part.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#18 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

You will still have the ability to sell it, just no one will want it. Pretty smart move on their part.

When I can't sell my games, I don't have money to buy more of their products. Pretty smart move.

#19 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

When I can't sell my games, I don't have money to buy more of their products. Pretty smart move.

Get a job. Super smart move.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#20 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Get a job. Super smart move.

I'm going to assume that you're being dense on purpose and leave it at that.

#21 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hey, why not stop there?

Car companies should find a way to prevent people from being able to drive cars that another person bought before them.

That'll show those fools who want to save money/can't afford to be spending money on a new one!

Clothes? Clothing companies should prevent people from selling their old clothes cause it takes money out of clothing companies pockets!

DOWN WITH USED
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#22 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hey, why not stop there?

Car companies should find a way to prevent people from being able to drive cars that another person bought before them.

That'll show those fools who want to save money/can't afford to be spending money on a new one!

Clothes? Clothing companies should prevent people from selling their old clothes cause it takes money out of clothing companies pockets!

DOWN WITH USED

Toilet paper companies should make it so I can sell used toilet paper! I legally own the toilet paper so I should be able to sell it to subsidize my future purchases of toilet paper.

They probably would if they could.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#23 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

Toilet paper companies should make it so I can sell used toilet paper! I legally own the toilet paper so I should be able to sell it to subsidize my future purchases of toilet paper.

They probably would if they could.

You can sell it anytime you want...nobody will buy it unless they have a poop fetish.
Posted Image

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#24 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hey, why not stop there?

DOWN WITH USED

Want a house? New only.

#25 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

You can sell it anytime you want...nobody will buy it unless they have a poop fetish.

The same is going to happen if this is true. You can still sell your used games, just no one will want them.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#26 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

The same is going to happen if this is true. You can still sell your used games, just no one will want them.

There is a big difference between toilet paper and video games.

Obviously you're too fucking stupid to understand.
Posted Image

#27 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

The difference is that toilet paper companies are not actively doing something to make your toilet paper useless second hand. Neither do car companies, movie companies, music companies, car companies, housing companies or any other used marketplace. Video games are taking an active step to hurt the consumer in this regard.

#28 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'll sell you this burger after I eat it.

#29 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

The difference is that toilet paper companies are not actively doing something to make your toilet paper useless second hand. Neither do car companies, movie companies, music companies, car companies, housing companies or any other used marketplace. Video games are taking an active step to hurt the consumer in this regard.

That's because:

Car companies sell used cars themselves so they get a giant chunk of that market.
Movie companies have multiple streams of revenue from their one product.
The music industry has largely moved towards a digital marketplace, where there is no used product, but they also have multiple streams of revenue from their one product.
You listed car companies twice.
What the Fuck are housing companies?

If you don't like it, don't support it. You won't be missed.

I'll sell you this burger after I eat it.

I'm not the one trying to buy used products, maybe KingofOldSchool would be interested?

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#30 bmsdaddy

bmsdaddy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

BC doesn't really mean much to me and the used market is something I almost never deal with. That being said, the pricing of DLC and console digital purchases rarely makes any sense. On the PC side of things, I love digital product; however, I will never pay the same price for an all digital purchase as I do for a physical purchase. I purchase many games on Steam when they are on sale - so many games that I have a considerable backlog. If these stories we hear about next gen consoles are true I will just go back to being a 100% PC gamer like I used to be.