Sony:PS4 will release prior to X-Mas 2013 in order to beat MS

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

I could see a PS4 being released in late 2014 but not 2013.
It still seems to soon to be upgrading consoles with all the firmware upgrades that have been done and will continue to be done to improve the PS3.
Other then better graphics that a new system would obviously have I don't really see a reason to jump again to a next gen system.
What more could they really do? give us 2 hdmi's this time? :(

There was an article in GI where they asked developers what they wanted. I was thinking most of them would say "better development tools" or "easier development", but nearly all said the same thing: more power.

Can't wait for the next generation. Buy a $60 game to get 50% of the original content. The other 50% is paid DLC because they have to re-coup development costs from all this power!:roll:

Currently playing:

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#32 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Can't wait for the next generation. Buy a $60 game to get 50% of the original content. The other 50% is paid DLC because they have to re-coup development costs from all this power!:roll:

There's always the LBP theory of letting gamers create levels too.

#33 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

There's always the LBP theory of letting gamers create levels too.

They did that to some extent with inFamous 2, where there was some UGC(user generated content) that you could play through, if I remember correctly.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#34 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

Yeah, the problem is really not power but trying to fit the power in the same sized box. It used to be that console makers just add transistors to make the machine more powerful but we're reaching the end of how many transistors can be put in a box the size of Xbox 360. Unless consumers don't mind larger boxes, the next generation will likely be the highest we can go without a change in processor engineering.

Also, to note, no high polygon PS3 game is full 1080p. Even Uncharted is 720p and you can definitely see the polygons in that game even with all the normal mapping and stuff. Next gen should have enough power to at least make the polygons almost unnoticeable which can aid in the immersion quite a bit. Jaggies, polygon edges, and bad framerate makes you feel like you're wrestling with technology and they should all get better next gen (except Wii U).

In the animation trade the term often used as a holy grail was 'polygon per pixel.' This stopped being a goal a long time ago but remains one for real-time interactive game play. If we were still targeting NTSC displays we'd be there but it made more sense to move to higher resolution. The maximized rendering for NTSC would still reveal the limitations of real-time animation and AI. Bumping up the resolution only required more horsepower rather than new techniques nobody has really worked out yet.

A funny thing about the PS3 is that developers are extracting better rendering at higher resolution because they have no choice. The Xbox 360's scaler makes some things pretty effortless, allowing devs to use oddball resolutions internally that provide the best balance of visual quality vs. frame rate. So there are games using a sub-720p resolution and being scaled. But on the PS3 to get scaling done without severe overhead you need to use the resolutions that lend themselves to it. You really need to hit 720p to get easy soft scaling to 1080p.

For similar reasons the new iPad model is exactly double the resolution in each direction. Existing material scales with very little overhead.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#35 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

For the first time in my gaming "career" I'll be sitting out the new console launches for quite some time. THere are too many games I still have to play that have come out this generation - more than enough to keep me busy for several years. I think all of the console manufacturers are making a huge mistake by releasing new systems in 2012 or 2013.

I think it happens to everybody eventually. If you're an avid gamer with strong CAG shopping habits, you end up with far too much stuff and not nearly enough time for it. How good could the new stuff be that it would justify paying the high prices associated with a new platform at launch?

If I found myself suddenly wealthy with no responsibility, I would indulge. But that is fantastically unlikely. The only possible scenario is winning the lottery, which isn't a life strategy I'm counting on.

I still don't own a Wii. I've plenty of GameCube games still waiting to be played fully. Until the Wii gets down to under $100 there just isn't much there I'm compelled to jump on sooner rather than later. I'll get to play the stuff eventually but might be just as happy to do it on a later Nintendo platform that offers enough to make me add it to the array.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.