Class of Heroes II Deluxe Edition - $59 Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Gamelore

Gamelore

Dark Elf Cleric

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Previously noted in the CAG News section, the physical UMD deluxe copy of Class of Heroes II (English translation) for PSP is being attempted by former Working Designs president over at Kickstarter. It will only be sold if they reach $500K in pledges by April 27th!

$59 shipped, covering costs for printing such a niche run. Link.

The details for the Deluxe Edition are not yet known, other than it will supposedly blow away what most companies call "Deluxe". If successful, the game will only be printed in one run (~7,000 copies), never to be reprinted. Also, if successful, it will prove there is a market for more official English translations of obscure JRPGs!

As a Kickstarter, if not successful, this won't be released and nobody pays a dime.

Since I disregard anything that isn't released as physical/DRM-free, I'm extremely excited about this! Locked/DRMed distribution puts game ownership back in the arcade days, where you are just the client of a service. This is the only opportunity to truly own it.

#2 AionTelos

AionTelos

is PLUS ONE PIG!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

I've been watching this, loved the first one.

#3 Darknuke

Darknuke

Guncraft: Voxel-FPS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have a feeling they aren't going to make their goal. They've only raised like 60k in 10+ days.

SteamWidget.PNG

#4 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I have a feeling they aren't going to make their goal. They've only raised like 60k in 10+ days.

They're barely at around 10%, huh?

#5 keine

keine

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I would really like to have this deluxe edition, too, since it has the chance to be valuable. But this is looking like fail. :(

#6 LoneGun

LoneGun

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

There are too many things Victor Ireland did while at Working Designs that I did not agree with and therefore will not support this endeavor. He could not sustain his business model in the industry, and is now trying to get money directly from the fans, which if it works out to completion, then everyone wins, but I will have to see it first.
:shock: Whose eyes are those? :shock:

#7 NolbertoS

NolbertoS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

I just pledged, since I loved the first one. Hopefully it goes through.
Circuit City shall burn in Hell

#8 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Fact of the matter is, this game is coming out regardless. The kickstarter is for a more advanced localization, and a physical set.

Now, I'm all about physical copies for games, but for a nearly dead system? the 59 dollar set doesnt even come with the digital copy, gotta pledge 100 for that.

I, too loved Working Designs growing up, bought both Lunar Sets, Arc the Lad, Growlanser, but the game they chose was poor, as the first installment wasn't very good. If they had picked a better title, they could have hit their goal. It looks they're going to be way short which is a shame.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#9 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

while i support the idea behind this, and like aaronrodgers, I'm all about physical copies for stuff, this probably wont fly. Im not sure how people can throw down 60 bucks for a 'delux' edition with no info on what theyre actually getting. If they actually had mock ups and all the info laid bare on what it would come with thats one thing. But this is too shakey. I doubt it will make it

#10 EdgeOfThorns

EdgeOfThorns

God of RPGs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

What a total shame on this. I am a huge...class of heroes fan, moreso a huge Wizardry fan and old school style games like this, Etrian Odyssey, etc etc....

Im not sure i feel 500k is the kind of goal they should of shot for, maybe thats just me. But i think it will be ashame if this games release is based off this.

#11 psuedo98

psuedo98

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Found a copy of the original at a gamespot near my dad's house. Had him pick it up ($12!) and I'll get it next time I see him. I think the kickstarter is a good idea and I'll definitely be in if I like the original even though it doesn't look like the're gonna meet their goal.

#12 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I've been a huge WD fan since the days of the TG-16. I'd be all over this if I owned a PSP.

#13 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Meh I pledged the $59 for the hell of it. Thanks OP!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#14 Fighterspledge

Fighterspledge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Am I reading the FAQs right? When you pledge, the money isn't taken until the goal is reached? Because if it is, I'm getting my name in the credits.

Yeah, those things we never look at anyway.

#15 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Am I reading the FAQs right? When you pledge, the money isn't taken until the goal is reached? Because if it is, I'm getting my name in the credits.

Yeah, those things we never look at anyway.

Correct! If the goal isn't reached, then you're not going to pay anything. It also means you don't get the product as well lol.
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#16 argyle

argyle

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

There are too many things Victor Ireland did while at Working Designs that I did not agree with and therefore will not support this endeavor. He could not sustain his business model in the industry, and is now trying to get money directly from the fans, which if it works out to completion, then everyone wins, but I will have to see it first.

Agreed. Atlus has done what WD did, but much much better. As for this game, a UMD won't do much in my Vita so I have no interest right from the start. Sounds like (another) poor business decision for Vic.
Posted Image

#17 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

This should be a Vita title. Smaller audience but they would be one of the first games in this genre for the Vita...and as argyle said, my Vita doesn't support UMD...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#18 voidedx

voidedx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'd be all over a Clash of Heroes 2 (3DS/DS/360) Kickstarter.
[URL="http://www.lusogamer.com/profile/live?gamertag=SpaceNinjaDino"]Posted Image[/URL]

#19 remag

remag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

I might just do this so that he can get some support.

MAYBE WE WILL SEE HIS STUDIO TURN INTO ANOTHER WORKING DESIGNS?!

#20 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

I might just do this so that he can get some support.

MAYBE WE WILL SEE HIS STUDIO TURN INTO ANOTHER WORKING DESIGNS?!

And go bankrupt, after you pay? =P

#21 MaazFench

MaazFench

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Shockingly (not really) no takers yet at the 10k+ level, but I am interested enough to go for the $59 pledge. Hopefully there will be a surge in pledges soon...

#22 ea_woods

ea_woods

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Pledged at the $100 level. Crossing my fingers that the goal is reached.

#23 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I plan to pledge 200 if I can afford, if not I'll go 60. Not looking good of meeting the goal though so I probably be paying anything.

#24 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'll never understand why companies are so intent on recording English versions of Japanese opening songs. I'm sure that most people that buy niche JRPGs are fine with the original Japanese song.

I mean if its like Kingdom Hearts where you got Hikaru Utada who was born and raised in the US and speaks perfect English that's one thing. You're keeping the same artist and everything so it feels right. But then in cases like Bonnie Pink and BoA, who did English versions of their respective "Tales" songs, you have the slight accent which is somewhat off-putting and distracts from the song. They can also go with an entirely different artist but then it's almost always some unknown jobber so they can save a buck and it always feels like it lost something.

Ireland himself struggled with it while working on bringing Magic Knight Rayearth to the US. I remember he posted a preview of the English version of the opening on the WD website and a lot of people complained that the vocalist they hired was doing to many runs and it didn't sound like the Japanese version anymore so they had to find another singer and rerecord it. I'm sure Vic would have saved himself some headaches and money if he had just gone with the Japanese version.

All I know is that when SE released the PSP Star Ocean remakes in the US nobody rioted in the streets because they left the Japanese songs in there. Heck I even discovered a certain band from it ↓.

ostzsk.jpg

#25 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

"English Opening Song and Video in both releases"

They lost me at this point. It's a niche game, there's no reason to waste money on this. Clearly they [still] have no idea what they are doing. I'd much rather see that $500k go towards a more deserving game/franchise.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#26 jello44

jello44

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

"English Opening Song and Video in both releases"

They lost me at this point. It's a niche game, there's no reason to waste money on this. Clearly they [still] have no idea what they are doing. I'd much rather see that $500k go towards a more deserving game/franchise.

*cough*VC3*cough*

72768.png

#27 keine

keine

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I went for the whole shebang and pledged $100. I'll be happy to drop a hundie if this goes through, but I doubt it will, so at least I'll save a theoretical hundie. :)

#28 Stele

Stele

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Shenmue III or nothing.

#29 MulderYuffie

MulderYuffie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I can't afford to help out with the cause at the moment but will keep up to date with this. Hope it ends up working out.

#30 forweg

forweg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'm so conflicted about this. On the one hand, I love the idea of Kickstarter being utilized to localize niche Japanese games.

On the other hand, Victor Ireland has an awful track record with localizations, and his promise to "improve" the localization again doesn't bode well.

I would buy/donate in different circumstances, but not with Ireland at the helm. I don't want OJ Simpson and Bill Clinton in my JRPGs.
Posted Image