CAGcast #278: The Donkey Kong Piano Room

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy feels left out of Goozex's sale, Shipwreck's arm is worn out from Diabolical Pitch, and Wombat watches everything but Drive, bitches.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]187[/podcast]
Download - 76 minutes, 46MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Here are the actual Goozex sale terms, which were unknown at time of recording.

Intro/Outro: Castles in the Sky (Ian van Dahl) - Crazy Eddie Commercial

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting show, since it's mostly video game talk. I really don't think there is anything wrong about the X version and Z version of a game as long as certain aspects aren't missing like levels, mechanics, etc.

As for the whole used games discussion, it is what it is and there's nothing you can do about it except to have the game cost so low that consumers would rather just get a new version like DVDs, CDs, magazines, tv shows, etc.

YES Wombat, you got to the ME3 end! The rest of the guys need to finish ME3 soon so you guys can seriously discuss about how it ends.

I agree with Ship that game endings are hard but many other game franchises ended really well. Some good examples would be Yakuza 4 and Uncharted 3. Great satisfying endings.

[quote name='LiK']YES Wombat, you got to the ME3 end! The rest of the guys need to finish ME3 soon so you guys can seriously discuss about how it ends.

I agree with Ship that game endings are hard but many other game franchises ended really well. Some good examples would be Yakuza 4 and Uncharted 3. Great satisfying endings.[/QUOTE]

I don't even remember how Uncharted 3 ended. I was just glad it was over.

The Xenosaga trilogy had a satisfying ending, while also leaving room for more stories in that universe. You didn't make story choices in those games like you did in the Mass Effect series, but it sounds like all those choices amounted to nothing in the end.

I could hear Wombat's son crying in the background, but it wasn't loud enough to be annoying. I just hope he wasn't stuck in a newspaper vending machine.

[quote name='shipwreck']I don't even remember how Uncharted 3 ended. I was just glad it was over.[/QUOTE]

All 3 endings were such a mess... so I agree.

hey Cheapy

Help me figure out why are you insisting that Wombat and Shipwreck rent Drive at all cost. Is it so they can poke there eyes out with the Move controller as they waste $5 (especially in this tough economy) on Amazon Prime on PS3? Or is it a late April Fools joke on your unknowing co-hosts. Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan have no chemistry. Ryan Gosling cites his lines as though he is reading a teleprompter on a SNL skit. 100 minutes of dragged out fail. This movie was so bad I had road rage after I left the theater.

[quote name='hunterny77']hey Cheapy

Help me figure out why are you insisting that Wombat and Shipwreck rent Drive at all cost.[/QUOTE]

I want to hear what they think about it

Capcom has a simple solution available to appease the on-disc-dlc haters (ie everyone): Project $10. They are pretty much the only major company not to have the online pass (which is odd, since they do so many fighting games, which is heavily geared to online play), but they have squandered any good will they earned. They are pretty much encouraging consumers to buy used so they can spend the extra money to unlock all the content. If they include the code to unlock the $15 worth of extra characters in ALL new games, problem solved. It still screws those without internet, but every game company screws them.

If you chose the defend-the-boss option for the final stage of RE:ORC, it's even easier. Since the boss is on your side, there's no boss fight for you at all! You just have to kill the two teammates and that's it! Plus there's an extra achievement for chosing to defend and failing. And there's a good example of bad endings. You say a couple lines on the radio to HQ. Wow, that was satisfying, huh?

I've seen the old Drive movie! It's got a very chipper Brittany Murphy as a flirty underage girl working at a hotel the main characters stays in. And I remember the fight scenes were impressive, too (at the time, anyway). It's probably up there with Hollow Point as my favorite direct-to-video movie. (Wacth Holow Point, too... It's got pretty good action, Tia Carrere, an incredibly goofy Donald Sutherland, and John LIthgow with a God complex: I think he refers to himself as Jesus at one point.)

Simple enough. Now I too want them to watch it...to hear all of your opinions on the movie as well. Way to go Cheapy hooking me for yet another cagcast.

PS you should create bobble heads of you guys or hook up with Activision and get super deformed toys of you for Skylanders. If you take my ideas let me know show I can give you my address so you can put my check in the mail:)

Drive is a great movie... as a sleeper.

I hope Cheapy didn't pump it up too much so that it can't meet expectations.

Either way though, you b***s HAVE to watch it now. :)

[quote name='shipwreck']I don't even remember how Uncharted 3 ended. I was just glad it was over.[/QUOTE]

lol, it was a callback to the first game.

Show notes

8:30 - Mass Effect 3 ending
13:00 - Show Feedback
19:00 - Watch this, bitches
21:45 - New Releases
22:00 - Xenoblade Chronicles
22:30 - Diabolical Pitch
26:00 - Pinball Arcade
28:30 - Kinect Star Wars
29:45 - Devil May Cry HD Collection
30:45 - Anomaly Warzone Earth
32:00 - Shopping News
32:00 - Goozex sale
36:45 - Wombat's News n Stuff. EA is the worst company in America?
$$$$$$$ Tiger Woods
42:15 - Killer is Dead / Grasshopper / Suda 51
43:00 - Capcom DLC stance
47:30 - Rock Band Blitz
49:30 - Resident Evil: Raccoon City
53:30 - Amazon Prime on PS3
56:45 - Batman: Lockdown
59:45 - Egg Drop
61:00 - Lost in Letters
62:00 - Cagbag
72:45 - Tenorman's Revenge is awful
74:45 - Special Guest Star

Man, sad to hear about Goozex! I'm trying to cash out, but there are little to no games available. Seems like everyone is going crazy trying to get out while they can.

The only thing worse than Drive fanatics.... Drive fanatics who think everyone should watch Drive. I thought Drive was a fine movie, not great but good. Gets a bit annoying when people who probably watch 10 new movies a year watch Drive and then act like it's the second coming (not a comment specifically aimed at Cheapy). If you love Drive, then good for you. Don't shove it down people's throats.

I enjoyed Drive, but was hoping for more driving. This is not recommended for car fans, but for fans of movies that have extremely long pauses between lines of dialog.

I'm glad I watched it, but I would never recommend it to anyone. But, if Shipwreck and Wombat actually watch it, then Cheapy can forever call them his "bitches."

Dragon age origins had a fantastic ending. Besides, providing resolution to a story isn't exactly rocket science.

If a big part of the developer's shtick (IE. a big selling point) is your product is an epic story spanning 3 games and at the end of that journey they royally fuck it up with a supposedly epic facepalm of an ending, then consumers are well within their rights to harshly review the product. As one has not only been on the hook for just one game with a crappy ending, but 3 games and possibly several $10 DLCs as well, not to mention other tie-ins like the novels (hundreds of dollars worth total), all building to a moment of disappointment.

If the 3 games had the same gameplay, but instead had mostly stand-alone stories like the Uncharted series, I don't imagine there would have been nearly as big a backslash. Each game would of been judged on its own merit as opposed to one game sold in 3 parts being judged as a whole.

[quote name='TheModelMartel']Still no winner for the Naruto game ???[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that duder.

And Cheapy's is just Trolling so hard on Suda.

While I was annoyed at the (albeit ironic) inclusion on more Techno Music before the show. I find Cheapy's quick and sudden trolling on Suda as fucking hysterical. Cheapy finally has an evil rival.

Womat wins this episode for his usually duty of keeping Cheapy down to earth, and also alerting me to Infinity Blade finally dropping to .99

Ok Cheapy.
We get it.
Jersey Shore + Shit = Funny.

All in All Cheapy, I think you should make some CAG goals...

1. Buy some other online company (To excert your power as a C-list Internet Celebrity)
2. Get Shipwreck on Metacritic (Meaning more reviews)
3. Make Wombat get off his ass and pick some music, because I can't handle anymore techno.

[quote name='CheapyD']I never said I thought Drive was good[/QUOTE]

Awesome, so we're trying to get each other to experience things we might not like. I like this challenge.

Funny episode. Ship's comment about not having to lie down on the floor when he defecates was hilarious. I'm weirded out by the high South Park scores, too. Sure, there are some polarizing games out there, like Heavy Rain, and Metroid: Other M, but for a South Park game to be rated that high on OXM and EGM?

Anyway, even though I don't have Mass Effect 3, I'm looking forward to more of the ending discussion.

By the way, Shipwreck, on an earlier episode you said you were enjoying Tales of Graces f. Are you still playing the game?

Fine. Then I DISagree with Cheapy: DRIVE is good.

Video games, what?

[quote name='shipwreck']Awesome, so we're trying to get each other to experience things we might not like. I like this challenge.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

[quote name='basston3s']Man, sad to hear about Goozex! I'm trying to cash out, but there are little to no games available. Seems like everyone is going crazy trying to get out while they can.[/QUOTE]

I have 7600 points right now and not sure whether or not I should cash out or hold out for a possible announcement. Taking a look at the forums, it looks like I should just get what I can now and hope for the best.

I think the difficult part about writing an ending to a video game is that the audience is not as immersed as a TV show or movie. Video games can sometimes take multiple play sessions in order to finish, as opposed to something like a movie which is usually a one-sitting affair. I've never felt a strong connection to a game's story because the immersion is often broken up between days, sometimes even weeks or months. Therefore I never have much stake in a game's ending. I just like the satisfaction of completing the game.

[quote name='shajek']I enjoyed Drive, but was hoping for more driving. This is not recommended for car fans, but for fans of movies that have extremely long pauses between lines of dialog.[/QUOTE]

there was actually quite a bit of driving in Drive. Maybe you wanted more action in cars, but I don't think the movie was lacking in actual driving.

Good show, keep it up!

Wait a min...

Cheapy, on the Total Recall remake: I think part of the reason people like me aren't excited for it is that it really just seems like it takes itself too seriously and is not going to be anywhere as fun as the original, way too "hey look at this slick shit we are doing" rather than the craziness of the first. Also, no Mars, so gonna guess there is no head-exploding scene. It just seems like it's going to be pretty generic. Weird personal note, I can only ever buy Colin Ferrell as a bad guy.

[quote name='Cheshire Wolf']Womat wins this episode for his usually duty of keeping Cheapy down to earth, and also alerting me to Infinity Blade finally dropping to .99[/QUOTE]
Wombat, thank you for stopping Cheapy going off on another Apple wordgasm.

Great show as always.
Wombat was completely correct, in the Apple v. Xbox comparison, you just can't compare a company/brand to a game console. Go Wombat!
Great stuff guys, keep up the good work.

So Cheapy, did you say what Suda has done exactly to cause so much hate from you to come out?

If not, perhaps you should. It wasn't that long ago you were trying to get Wombat to explain the Tim Schaeffer douchebaggery...

I hear Cheapy's frustration with the USPS. I live in a small city. The only reason we're even technically a city is there's a large private university here which means the population is pretty dense. Geographically we're pretty small, boxed in by neighboring municipalities, and there aren't a ton of different streets. My mother once mailed me something and accidentally left off a letter in the street name. I live on Ashland St. It was sent to Asland st. It made it all the way to the local post office and was sent back. There is no Asland St. and my address is literally 4 blocks from the post office so there's no excuse for not knowing where it was supposed to go for anyone sorting mail in that building.

bread's done
Back