Is flipping acceptable on CAG now?

JasonTerminator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've noticed an increase in positive talk about flipping on the boards recently. Is flipping something we still discourage, or do we let these deal-killers talk about their dirty trade in public?

FYI for noobs, flipping is reselling games bought at low prices, taking away deals from other CAGS, aka being a douche.

I don't understand why it would be discouraged; hoarding and "flipping" are two different animals.

Besides as long as I click through the link on CAG aren't I lining Cheapy's pockets?

It was never unacceptable, but in most cases someone talking about flipping leads to arguing/fighting and all the posts get deleted.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']why would you ever care about whats "acceptable"? "Do what yo gunna do"[/QUOTE]

Because supporting flipping and hoarding means that one CAG will benefit by taking deals away from everybody else. If somebody buys all of a game on clearance to resell, nobody else gets that deal at that store.

When I first came here, there was a consensus that hoarding and flipping was discouraged on this site, to set us apart from places like Fatwallet and Slickdeals, where people abuse the deals as much as possible to the detriment of everybody else. Trakan is right in that it wasn't officially "unacceptable" to flip and hoard, but people didn't speak about it in a positive light, and if they did, they were ostracized.

What I gather from Trakan's reply is that the CAG mods are being more strict in regulating harassment against flippers and hoarders. Disappointing, but at least it answers my question, so thanks.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Because supporting flipping and hoarding means that one CAG will benefit by taking deals away from everybody else. If somebody buys all of a game on clearance to resell, nobody else gets that deal at that store.

When I first came here, there was a consensus that hoarding and flipping was discouraged on this site, to set us apart from places like Fatwallet and Slickdeals, where people abuse the deals as much as possible to the detriment of everybody else. Trakan is right in that it wasn't officially "unacceptable" to flip and hoard, but people didn't speak about it in a positive light, and if they did, they were ostracized.

What I gather from Trakan's reply is that the CAG mods are being more strict in regulating harassment against flippers and hoarders. Disappointing, but at least it answers my question, so thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the tide has turned. It's every man for himself now.

taking a 100 of an item to flip. Yes

Cashing in a a good deal. Why not.

example.

9.99 best buy deal for once upon a monster. Flipped on goozex for 1000 points ( a brand new game) plus came with free msp points. I bought two for flips and left others so other people could get the deal as well. Just cause a store has 100 of an item when you get there dosnt mean you should buy all 100. Get some to make a couple bucks on but leave some for others.

#2 dont brag about being a douche. You get some people who get on here and start crap buy saying I just cleaned out best buy. I got 100 of the once upon a monster games Im going to be totaly rich!

Yeah, def a difference between use and abuse.

Went to best buy on ME3 launch day.

Only wanted a normal version since I didn't pre order a CE. Saw a collectors edition left, and the cashier let me buy it since pre orders mean nothing at best buy. Flipped the CE and kept the reg edition.

No harm done.

lol.... There needs to be a don't ask don't tell policy on CAG. What Mr_hockey66 said was pretty spot on, there is no need to brag about anything.

The only reason anyone would get mad if you bought 100 copies of Once Upon a Monster is because they wanted to flip it themselves, in which case, in my opinion, they can get bent. If it's something that people would want to buy to actually play it, that's when you're an asshole for hoarding them.

[quote name='Survivalism']The only reason anyone would get mad if you bought 100 copies of Once Upon a Monster is because they wanted to flip it themselves, in which case, in my opinion, they can get bent. If it's something that people would want to buy to actually play it, that's when you're an asshole for hoarding them.[/QUOTE]
But let's face it, this is CAG, who actually plays half the clearance games they buy anyway? :lol:

Just kidding, I agree with this and just about everything that's been mentioned in this thread

[quote name='Survivalism']The only reason anyone would get mad if you bought 100 copies of Once Upon a Monster is because they wanted to flip it themselves, in which case, in my opinion, they can get bent. If it's something that people would want to buy to actually play it, that's when you're an asshole for hoarding them.[/QUOTE]

Some people have kids, or friends and family with kids, that might be interested in getting such a game cheap.

And that game got great reviews, so it's not a POS game for gifts either.

I've never gotten into flipping. I like to make my money and just buy my games to play them and watch them sit in my backlog.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']why would you ever care about whats "acceptable"? "Do what yo gunna do"[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:Exactly. People need to mind their own business and keep their comments to themselves. I've noticed that the anti flipping crew around here tend to lob insults(the OP calling it a 'dirty trade', calling people douches for doing it, etc) and expect those of us who do flip games to just sit back and take it without responding.

THAT is how most of the arguing over flipping starts and why most flipping discussions(save for the Amazon/BB trade threads from what I've seen) have had to be relegated to private, invite only social groups on and off of CAG. It's because people can't just skip over a comment they personally take offense to and feel they must comment how those people should match their moral standards and do as they do.

We are all different people with different goals and different ideas of how to get to those goals. Moreover, people are alllowed to have differing opinions. But if someone sits there and tries to judge me/insult me from on their moral high horse, then I'm gonna respond and tell them to shove those opinions so far up their ass they can puke em back out. I am NOT going to idly sit by and be denigrated by some nobody who knows nothing about me on an internet site.

This is an opinion, not a statement towards anyone in particular. If you agree with it, fine. If not, then oh well.

[quote name='skiizim']lol.... There needs to be a don't ask don't tell policy on CAG. What Mr_hockey66 said was pretty spot on, there is no need to brag about anything.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this, I don't care if people flip or hoard as long as they keep it to themselves and not brag about it.

[quote name='GBAstar']I don't understand why it would be discouraged; hoarding and "flipping" are two different animals.[/QUOTE]

Those usually go hand in hand which is what pisses 'normal' people looking for a deal off.

[quote name='blackjaw']Those usually go hand in hand which is what pisses 'normal' people looking for a deal off.[/QUOTE]

No hoarding isn't buying one or two or five of a game. Hoarding occurs when those idiots clear the shelves of skylanders, or buy out new releases at every Kmart in their district(when the coupons were alive and well).

Flipping is being smart enough to preorder multiple copies of MGS HD LE (PS3) or Skyward Sword Gold Remote Bundle to resell for profit.

It's usually the crybabies (idiots) who shouted "I'll wait for this to hit $20" that realize a few weeks after release it won't and then want to bitch and complain at the resellers for ruining their chance to get a copy when they could have just preordered a copy like everyone else.

For me flipping (reselling) is the only way I would be able to afford the vast collection that I have.

For example many people had the opportunity to buy Catherline (Love is Over) when it was ~$30 at Amazon (the sale spanned several days) but were too STUPID to realize it wasn't going any lower. Becasue I bought multiple copies doesn't make me a hoarder... it makes me smart.

[quote name='GBAstar']For me flipping (reselling) is the only way I would be able to afford the vast collection that I have.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same for me. Flipping and hoarding are different beasts. I am going through a lot right now and money is extremely tight, so I take advantage of reselling to afford the games I want. Flipping is completely fine in my opinion. For example, Gamestop had their recent B2G1. I wanted only MGS HD, so I did the B2G1, and sold the other two to compensate for the money I didn't have to spend on the one I wanted. Bought MGS HD and two JRPGs, sold both JRPGs on Amazon, made more than I spent, got MGS HD for free, plus an extra $3.65. It shouldn't matter what I do with the games after I buy them. It's the same as buying it, playing it, and then reselling it. Someone who wanted them still got them, just from Amazon instead of the one Gamestop in Coral Springs, FL...lol. Nothing wrong with that. If there was a $5 game deal somewhere and I bought EVERY $5 game in stock and resold them, then I would be an asshole hoarder.

I do small scale reselling too, and I don't think it's a problem. Sure, I bought the last 3 copies of Tales of the Abyss at a Target for B2G1, and sold one immediately for over MSRP, but it's not like I didn't look for 20 minutes for a third game I wanted. What would you have done, buy 2 copies at MSRP?

There's a reason why we have social groups. So the people that are concerned about their "discussions" being commented on can do so in the privacy of their dark holes away from the rest of the site. What Trakan said is correct, when there's public discussion about topics that some find unacceptable, it'll bring up other comments and usually spiral down into fighting, which gets the posts deleted or the thread deleted.

Unfortunately, the increase in the userbase brings an increase of the undesirable elements on the site. The OP has been around here long enough to know how the site used to be back in the day, and it's not even close to that any more.

If you're going to do something that people might find an issue, either discuss it elsewhere, discuss within a social group that all of the site won't see, or just don't discuss it. Better for everyone concerned.

shrike - nobody really knows what is unacceptable, that's the problem.

I've always been under the impression that flipping talk is ok but the "I bought 20 copies" crap isn't. But then there are others who claim that it is and that people are just whining cause they missed out on a deal.

If the mods could just clarify what is and isn't ok, that would help.

The only places flipping discussions are "acceptable" are within the trade-in threads, such as the GS thread and the BB threads discussing trade-ins, since it's related to the discussions of TIVs.

In deal threads like the BB coupon threads, weekly sale threads and the like, they're not.

Doesn't mean that people won't get comments about it in those threads either, which is why it's preferred to discuss them in the places mentioned previously, social groups on CAG or elsewhere than CAG. Preferably not at all, of course.

Could also talk about stuff like that in the deal discussion/bragging rights forum, no?

Another problem (that wont go away) is a specific deal being posted that will inevitably lead to arguments. Like glitch "deals" or very limited deals and such. Really not a whole lot you can do there I imagine.

Personally I dont care and I jump on whatever I can...but I don't like hoarding. You really just have to accept that different people have different opinions and leave it alone as much as possible, which isn't always easy.

bread's done
Back