The Legend of Dragoon Coming to PSN: RPG Classic Reborn May 1st

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
6916495290_6c29ac86d0_n.jpg
6916849156_200503bf1a_o.jpg

The Legend of Dragoon was one of the last projects I worked on as a producer in Japan Studio and by far the biggest team I managed hands-on. We started the project in 1996 with only a handful of people, hired one by one as we were building up teams for Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon, and Ico simultaneously. During the peak of the game’s development, we had well over 100 people working internally in the studio on The Legend of Dragoon — for a PSone game! We had roughly 10 artists dedicated just to drawing concept art for this gigantic RPG. As the game contained lots of pre-rendered maps and full-motion videos, we were forced to spread the content over four CDs, which was the maximum number of discs that the fattest PSone game case could hold.

It took nearly three years to build the team and develop the game, which was released in December 1999 in Japan and June 2000 in the US. As I moved from Japan to the US in March 2000, I was able to personally handle the game’s release in both Japan and the US. Following the game’s launch in Japan, we learned from players that certain parts of the game were too difficult. The team re-balanced the gameplay for the release outside of Japan, so the US version was the complete version of the game that we were all proud of.

I still occasionally hear from fans of The Legend of Dragoon, and many want to know if there is a sequel. LOD2 was put into preproduction after I left the Japan Studio, but was eventually cancelled for some unknown reason, and the team members moved on to different projects. Some people still work in the Japan Studio, so we talk about the memories of developing LOD when we see each other at company functions.

It’s great to see the game being prepared for release as a PSone Classic on PSN, which means that fans can revisit the world whenever they want. Maybe it’ll make a new fans, too. Long live LOD!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...oon-coming-to-psn-rpg-classic-reborn-may-1st/

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This isn't a classic.[/QUOTE]
What are you talking about? This was one of my favorite RPGs on the PS1. A very "cult classic" game from back in the day.

This came out back when I was working at EB Games, so I still have a counter cut-out display in my game room heh. Fun little RPG, but I don't remember much about it.

[quote name='Jodou']This came out back when I was working at EB Games, so I still have a counter cut-out display in my game room heh. Fun little RPG, but I don't remember much about it.[/QUOTE]

If memory serves, it had quick time events for special attacks or something.

[quote name='Blaster man']If memory serves, it had quick time events for special attacks or something.[/QUOTE]

Yep yep. Quick time events where if you got them right, you would perform more powerful attacks. Then after so long you could transform into a Dragoon where the attacks were stronger and you had special attacks based on various elements.

Loved this game.

I've heard good things about this and I'm eager to try it out. I'll definitely be downloading it when it's released. Especially since I have a Vita too and I'll be able to play it on there eventually. Well, I could right now via remote play but you know what I mean.

I read the GIA review, and I thought "Was this written by Bizarro-superman" where everything that was good about the game was pointed out as a flaw? Whatever, this game is a great game, and is one of the few PSone games I actually beat before I became bored with said game. Even more excited because it will probably be $5.99 like every other PSone RPG that ISN't Squeenix.

[quote name='SynGamer']

Regardless, have you even played the game, for more than a few hours?[/QUOTE]

I actually rented and beat the game just so I could go on record as saying it sucks ass and actually have a valid opinion. While paying only 5 bucks for it, most of the money going to the rental store.

Also, The GIA was the premier hardcore nerd gaming site back in the day, but I bet most people were too young or not hardcore enough to remember. That review is actually written by one of Atlus USA's current employees who works on their localizations, so it's not just a nobody.

I remember buying this game new at blockbuster for $9.99 and never really got into it.I guess what discouraged me was that damn QTE for dealing extra damage I would always miss but I would give it another shot when it releases on PSN

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I actually rented and beat the game just so I could go on record as saying it sucks ass and actually have a valid opinion.[/QUOTE]

Except you post someone elses opinion? Whats the point of beating a game to have an opinion if you wont put in any effort to actually verbalize it?

And Im glad you posted the review though. Il have to pay more attention to it when I play it again. But I dont recall having that much trouble with the maps or battle system. But that makes me more concerned that someone from Atlus would have more trouble in a game than a 15 or so year old kid does...

[quote name='4thHorseman']Except you post someone elses opinion? Whats the point of beating a game to have an opinion if you wont put in any effort to actually verbalize it?[/QUOTE]

Because it was a pretty infamous review during its time, and pretty damn accurate. I'm a lazy person, if someone else wrote my thoughts, I'll post a link to it instead of writing it out myself.

Nich's thoughts on this news: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36852151&postcount=94

Sampling of hate mail Nich received for his review:
http://thegia.psy-q.ch/sites/www.thegia.com/features/f010625b.html

I actually agree with DoK here. This game is nothing special and sucked back in the day when it came out. It's a mediocre RPG at best.

I loved this game, and still have it with the guide- was dissapointed with part 2 not coming out. Dead of knight is just a troll and should be ignored- admits to be lazy, but will spend the time to track down info posted from someone else and repost instead of typing own? lol-GTFO

Sounds like people are just upset that Sony could actually make a good JRPG, during the time when Squaresoft was the best in the business.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Sounds like people are just upset that Sony could actually make a good JRPG, during the time when Squaresoft was the best in the business.[/QUOTE]

That would be funny if true.

Perhaps I'm one of the few who found FF7 to be lackluster...but perhaps that's why I enjoyed TLoD so much. For the record, FFIX is my favorite FF.

^ I was also never to fond of FF7 myself, I enjoyed most of the other FF games more than it, and I actually really liked the style of 9. That said I remember playing this back when it released and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it so I will be getting a copy when it's out.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I actually rented and beat the game just so I could go on record as saying it sucks ass and actually have a valid opinion. While paying only 5 bucks for it, most of the money going to the rental store.

Also, The GIA was the premier hardcore nerd gaming site back in the day, but I bet most people were too young or not hardcore enough to remember. That review is actually written by one of Atlus USA's current employees who works on their localizations, so it's not just a nobody.[/QUOTE]

What are you? 40? I like how not being a hardcore nerd is a diss now.

[quote name='zionoverfire']It's arguably the most beautiful piece of crap on the system.[/QUOTE]

Because 4-polygon capes are beautiful.

The CGI was great, the 2D backgrounds were great, anything 3D and not in a cutscene looked like complete ass.

[quote name='renique46']lol the Gia didnt know that website was still up holy shit[/QUOTE]

It's not, it's a mirror site. Bless whoever owns the mirror.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']What are you? 40? I like how not being a hardcore nerd is a diss now.[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm 24. But that's not what I meant, it's not really a diss. I wouldn't expect anyone other than a longtime hardcore video game nerd to remember the site. Sometimes I forget there's some newer or less hardcore people on this site.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Because 4-polygon capes are beautiful.

The CGI was great, the 2D backgrounds were great, anything 3D and not in a cutscene looked like complete ass.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that how all Playstation 1 games looked?

[quote name='Paco']Isn't that how all Playstation 1 games looked?[/QUOTE]

True, but Dragoon's 3D graphics were far worse than JRPGs that came out around the same time.

Stopped reading the GIA review when it started complaining about combat.

If you thought RPGs which required you to do nothing more than press the X button were annoying, wait until you're asked to press the X button several times per attack, with the correct timing.

So you want combat that's more that hit x, but when a timing addition comes in (that you can negate with a accessory) it's awful?

I lied. I read until the cries of no heal spells. Spoiled fool!

Gamespot wasn't too high on it either.

Even IGN gave it a 7. That's like a 5 from somewhere else.

The game ain't classic. It's just old.

Regardless of what anyone says, I found TLoD to be a far better game story-wise than FFVII. I thought the quick-time event combat was great. Rather than mashing X you actually had to pay attention to the fight to times things in order to increase damage. And the quick-time combat was a game-changer for many of the boss fights. Failure to nail the QT and you were dead, depending on your health and the type of boss attack.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']This and Xenogears are the PS1 games that I heard good things about from a friend a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

He was right about Xenogears....

[quote name='Dead of Knight']He was right about Xenogears....[/QUOTE]

His friend never finished the first disc.

[quote name='Paco']His friend never finished the first disc.[/QUOTE]
Me either. Got the game about a year after it came out and just couldn't get into it.

bread's done
Back